cookiejar42

ANSWERED:Scroll "Likes"

So I was browsing someone's scroll the other day (can't remember whose, but they owned the parents of one of my dragons) and I came across a couple of dragon names I really, really liked. They were song lyrics from a fairly little-known band that I happen to love, and I wanted to find some way to let the owner know I thought their names and general scroll were cool. There was also another scroll I saw (Kallistrate's, maybe? I can't remember) where the sections of the scrolls were sequestered by adult papers and the subsections by frozen paper hatchies. I know this isn't the only scroll to do something but I thought it was a really cute idea.

So I thought up the idea of scroll "likes," so to speak. Owners could see which individuals liked their scrolls. I think this could also work for individual dragons, if you like a dragon's name or description and wanna show your love. I don't think it's necessary to have a BSA dragon to use for this purpose. Something as simple as a couple lines of text saying "You make a tally mark on the top corner of this scroll and return it to the pile" or "You sign your name among many others on the back of this scroll and return it to the pile."

This or something similar may have been suggested before, but I couldn't find it. It's just a thought, but I have no experience with any sort of code so I have no idea how easy or difficult it would be to implement. Let me know your thoughts smile.gif

Well there's already social media buttons on scrolls if you choose to have them on. You could always like a scroll through facebook.

Granted, it's not on the site itself, but I don't see too much of a need (or even demand) for it to be on the site itself.

I'm not against the idea, though. I just don't think it's really something needed (or wanted) to many.

I have the social media buttons turned off on my scroll because I don't use those sites anymore. No, thank you.

I have the social media buttons turned off on my scroll because I don't use those sites anymore. No, thank you.

I also don't have the social media buttons turned on--I've had rather bad experiences on social media before and have gotten rid of all my accounts. Which is why I was thinking of this idea. But I can understand why people would be opposed to it.

I also don't have the social media buttons turned on--I've had rather bad experiences on social media before and have gotten rid of all my accounts. Which is why I was thinking of this idea. But I can understand why people would be opposed to it.

I am not on any social media, and I would rather the cave didn't adopt ANY of their features. So - no, please. Also I wouldn't want to see things like that on my scroll anyway, so...

I am not on any social media, and I would rather the cave didn't adopt ANY of their features. So - no, please. Also I wouldn't want to see things like that on my scroll anyway, so...

Maybe then there could be an option to turn it off? I'm by no means demanding this, like I said it was just a thought and I wanted to see what other peoples' opinions were.

Also I wouldn't want to see things like that on my scroll anyway, so...

I'm sure it would be optional, just like the actual social media buttons. But I agree, I'd probably have it off, as well, in that case.

For me, it goes by the same reasoning for not having 'likes' on the forums. It would just turn into a popularity contest, and/or cause drama. Don't we already have enough drama around here without asking for more?

I'm pretty sure people are getting caught up on social media, when, from what I can gather, this idea is nothing like that?

I agree about not having likes on the forums, but on scrolls? A discrete like button/counter wouldn't be too bad I shouldn't think. I suppose you could make it so only you could see how many likes your scroll had, so that it was more of a personal thing and less of a contest.

I'm not sure whether I'd like this or not, but I wouldn't hate having it.

Edited by TheGrox

I'm pretty sure people are getting caught up on social media, when, from what I can gather, this idea is nothing like that?

I agree about not having likes on the forums, but on scrolls? A discrete like button/counter wouldn't be too bad I shouldn't think. I suppose you could make it so only you could see how many likes your scroll had, so that it was more of a personal thing and less of a contest.

I didn't think it was much like social media either, but people seemed really vehement so I didn't want to argue and make anyone mad unsure.gif

I figured it would be an invisible* "like" counter, kind of just a way of saying hello to a scroll owner without having to go through and find them on the forums (and some people, like me, have scroll names different from their forum names, or no forum account at all like my sister). I suppose it could also be visible, but that idea hadn't even crossed my mind.

The idea, too, of it becoming a popularity contest didn't seem like much of an issue to me. I don't see "likes" having the potential to become some sort of commodity. Again, I thought it would just be a friendly way of saying hello.

Especially because as of right now, there's no way to know if people are browsing your scroll (I mean, maybe you could go through a third party stat counter, but again I am the antithesis of tech savvy so if this is even a possibility then it's certainly not one I would use). If you see someone with dragon names you really like or something like that, I thought it would just be nice to give a little greeting.

*when I say invisible I mean invisible to everyone else. Obviously you'd be able to see your own scroll's likes tongue.gif

Edited by cookiejar42

I didn't think it was much like social media either, but people seemed really vehement so I didn't want to argue and make anyone mad :unsure:

I figured it would be an invisible* "like" counter, kind of just a way of saying hello to a scroll owner without having to go through and find them on the forums (and some people, like me, have scroll names different from their forum names, or no forum account at all like my sister). I suppose it could also be visible, but that idea hadn't even crossed my mind.

The idea, too, of it becoming a popularity contest didn't seem like much of an issue to me. I don't see "likes" having the potential to become some sort of commodity. Again, I thought it would just be a friendly way of saying hello.

Especially because as of right now, there's no way to know if people are browsing your scroll (I mean, maybe you could go through a third party stat counter, but again I am the antithesis of tech savvy so if this is even a possibility then it's certainly not one I would use). If you see someone with dragon names you really like or something like that, I thought it would just be nice to give a little greeting.

*when I say invisible I mean invisible to everyone else. Obviously you'd be able to see your own scroll's likes :P

It's something that (I think, anyway) has been corrupted by social media. Facebook plays a big part in it, but other things like tumblr, youtube, and twitter all have ways of "liking" (and also favoriting, though that's meant to be more exclusive) certain stuff as shorthand instead of making excessive posts or whatever.

I DON'T think they'll cause more drama. I just personally don't see a need for it. I don't think many will truly care if it were implemented; they would probably just keep the feature off. :P

A "like" button on a scroll is of course going to make people automatically think of social media. The only reason we all *ever* think about something called a "like button" is because of social media. There were no "like buttons" before the internet, obviously. So of course this suggestion will bring comments about social media.

And I have to agree. As long as it's opt-IN, the default being OFF, I guess it's not so horrible. But I don't like the idea of adding a popularity rank to this game. (And no matter what you think, there WILL be drama. This forum is the most drama-llama forum I've ever seen.)

Edited by Marie19R

There will be drama about any change that's made to DC; is that a good enough reason to not make any changes at all?

I'm not really sure why it'd need to be opt-in. A discrete little like counter that only you can see, and you don't even have to look at if you're that opposed to it?

This would be nothing like social media if only you could see your likes. There would be none of the popularity contest type stuff because of that. It doesn't have to be called a like button if people are so shortsighted that they can't see beyond the name and the superficial link it has to social media.

Not to give the wrong impression; I'm not all for this idea, but I equally don't understand some of the arguments people are coming up with against it.

Edited by TheGrox

A "like" button on a scroll is of course going to make people automatically think of social media. The only reason we all *ever* think about something called a "like button" is because of social media. There were no "like buttons" before the internet, obviously. So of course this suggestion will bring comments about social media.

And I have to agree. As long as it's opt-IN, the default being OFF, I guess it's not so horrible. But I don't like the idea of adding a popularity rank to this game. (And no matter what you think, there WILL be drama. This forum is the most drama-llama forum I've ever seen.)

Like buttons never existed before the internet? blink.gif

That wasn't even sarcastic, despite how stupid it probably sounds. I mean, I think if I had given it any thought I would've realized it, but growing up in the internet age it never really occurred to me that these are an internet-exclusive thing (and, mostly, a social-media-exclusive thing).

Maybe it could cause drama but I think if there was a) a way to opt out and cool.gif a way to hide your "like count" from other people, then I feel like that could be a way to greatly decrease the amount of drama involved if not pretty much get rid of it.

I do see what you're saying, though.

I don't imagine it would be like Fakebook, no, but it's still rather - eeew.

As Cinn says:

For me, it goes by the same reasoning for not having 'likes' on the forums. It would just turn into a popularity contest, and/or cause drama. Don't we already have enough drama around here without asking for more?

And why would I want to know if people are browsing my scroll ? Who cares ? But if it came in - fine, but we MUST be able to turn it off and not have to see it. I do NOT want that on my scroll - even if it's only me who can see it. It needs to be opt-in.

Edited by fuzzbucket

I'm not really sure why it'd need to be opt-in. A discrete little like counter that only you can see, and you don't even have to look at if you're that opposed to it?

So, you'd rather EVERYONE be forced to acknowledge that maybe their own scroll/dragons *arent* as interesting and cute as they personally think?

I see no reason for it NOT to be opt-in. I don't give a crap if other users want a tally of who likes their scroll, but I *don't*.

Can we not start something here?

Opt in would be fine if that's how it had to be, but I still don't understand that mentality. It's just adding unnecessary complication to the idea, in my opinion.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

So, you'd rather EVERYONE be forced to acknowledge that maybe their own scroll/dragons *arent* as interesting and cute as they personally think?

I see no reason for it NOT to be opt-in. I don't give a crap if other users want a tally of who likes their scroll, but I *don't*.

I think that having it be opt-in or opt-out would be a good idea. A good amount of DCs scroll features are opt-in or opt-out, yes? People don't have to have their scrolls visible at all if they don't want to. So I don't see why having an option to turn this (hypothetical) "like" button on is making people so mad unsure.gif

And why would I want to know if people are browsing my scroll ? Who cares ? But if it came in - fine, but we MUST be able to turn it off and not have to see it. I do NOT want that on my scroll - even if it's only me who can see it. It needs to be opt-in.

Again, I agree that it would be better for everyone for it to be opt-in. It'd kind of suck for it to be forced onto people. But I, for one, enjoy the social aspect of the game (however unintended). I like seeing where the offspring of my dragons end up, and I really enjoy seeing them named or with children of their own. I like interacting with other users. For me this idea is just another way to interact with other DC members, not a popularity contest. Though, again, I can see how some people would see it that way.

Like buttons never existed before the internet?  :blink:

That wasn't even sarcastic, despite how stupid it probably sounds. I mean, I think if I had given it any thought I would've realized it, but growing up in the internet age it never really occurred to me that these are an internet-exclusive thing (and, mostly, a social-media-exclusive thing).

I dunno how old you are. I was born before the internet got huge (it was a thing, but it was like...hardly as sophisticated as it is now). I definitely don't remember "likes" (or their equivalent) being around.

I even asked my mom (who was born in '73) if there was anything like "like buttons" and she thought for a moment and then said no. :V Pretty sure it's mostly an internet thing. It's particularly used in social media because it's a very social thing. Other people are liking what you're posting without having to say "I like this!" a million times over.

I think the CLOSEST equivalent is yea or nay hand gestures that are used in various things. It could be raising or not raising a hand for voting, or a thumbs up/down instead, etc.

I would be okay with opt-in. Opt-in is ALWAYS better than opt-out. Opt-out means people are forced to have something, even for a moment, before being able to turn it off. At least if it's opt-in, they can choose to be a part of it completely. c:

Edited by edwardelricfreak

Can we add "log in via fakebook" feature as well? Oh wait, I'd need fakebook first. :c nvm then

Edited by norbercik

It's "eeew". Wow. Arguments against ideas on these forums are getting better by the day.

Opt in would be fine if that's how it had to be, but I still don't understand that mentality. It's just adding unnecessary complication to the idea, in my opinion.

Well, would you prefer "tacky" ? "Repellent" ? "Distasteful" ? "Anathema" ? "Vomitrocious" xd.png ?

... revolting, disgusting, abhorrent, repugnant, offensive, objectionable, vile, nasty, loathsome, sickening, nauseating, hateful, detestable, execrable, abominable, monstrous, noxious, horrendous, terrible, dreadful, obnoxious, unsavoury, unpleasant, disagreeable...?

Let me just say, then, that I really dislike this idea. I thought "eew" was less - emotive than the other words which come to mind. xd.png But if others want it and as long as I don't have to participate - go for it.

And why opt-in - leaving aside the revulsion some of us feel towards the whole idea, there are threads and threads about scrolls being too cluttered so that we can't (members say) have things like a note on our scroll (rather than on each growing thing) saying that we don't accept aid - which is something that would really have a purpose. If that is too much clutter, this would surely be more so, no ?

Well, would you prefer "tacky" ? "Repellent" ? "Distasteful" ? "Anathema" ? "Vomitrocious" xd.png ?

... revolting, disgusting, abhorrent, repugnant, offensive, objectionable, vile, nasty, loathsome, sickening, nauseating, hateful, detestable, execrable, abominable, monstrous, noxious, horrendous, terrible, dreadful, obnoxious, unsavoury, unpleasant, disagreeable...?

Let me just say, then, that I really dislike this idea. I thought "eew" was less - emotive than the other words which come to mind. xd.png But if others want it and as long as I don't have to participate - go for it.

And why opt-in - leaving aside the revulsion some of us feel towards the whole idea, there are threads and threads about scrolls being too cluttered so that we can't (members say) have things like a note on our scroll (rather than on each growing thing) saying that we don't accept aid - which is something that would really have a purpose. If that is too much clutter, this would surely be more so, no ?

I mean...maybe vomitrocious is a little harsh... blink.gif

You do make an excellent point when it comes to scrolls being rather cluttered (though I personally do not find them to be so). I don't really think a "like" counter would take up an extreme amount of space at any rate.

I mean...maybe vomitrocious is a little harsh... blink.gif

You do make an excellent point when it comes to scrolls being rather cluttered (though I personally do not find them to be so). I don't really think a "like" counter would take up an extreme amount of space at any rate.

OK - take out vomitrocious. xd.png I just ate too much for dinner !

But a like thing would take up as much space as "this owner does not welcome help" in ordinary type at the top, I'd think...

Put it at the bottom ?

OK - take out vomitrocious. xd.png I just ate too much for dinner !

But a like thing would take up as much space as "this owner does not welcome help" in ordinary type at the top, I'd think...

Put it at the bottom ?

Since I have had the social media buttons disabled for some time, I'm unsure as to their position on the scroll. But I thought those were at the bottom to begin with.

I think it would make sense to put it at the bottom of the scroll, yeah.

I promise you, there are people complaining that trophies badges are taking up WAY too much space (and considering that those who have every trophy to-date have like have a page width of trophies, it's a valid point. Even those who don't still see it as too busy). TJ is even planning on moving all trophies to a sort of "trophy cabinet" page similar to Festival of Eggs and Trick-or-treat, IIRC.

People hide social media buttons because 1. they don't use them and/or 2. the buttons are just added clutter.

EDIT: I meant badges, not trophies, oops. o3o

Edited by edwardelricfreak