Mysfytt

Sleep - How do you do it?

OK so probably one of the strangest conversation starters in the history of language, but you get to thinking about facts about yourself and comparing it to others...so here it is.

so then - Why the topic?

I sleep like the dead.

No-I don't mean I get a good nights sleep - quite the opposite really.

I mean apart from the whole breathing thing, for 8 or so hours I could be mistaken for a dead person. I don't turn over, I rarely move, my limbs barely twitch in fact.

This has I believe has saved my life once - My arm was aching as it does so I bandaged it with some salve, but either I did it too tight or it continued to swell because by the time I was laying in bed it was killing me. I normally sleep on my side so I turned on my back and held my arm up and unwrapped it. The next thing I knew I was walking up, on my back with my arms on top of the blankets either side of me...and the bandage laying right across my neck where it had fallen. I think I fainted from the pain, but I could have strangled myself if I rolled over even once. Scary.

Normally though this is fantastic for making the bed - you get in by flipping over that triangle of covers, flick it back - sleep like the dead, In the morning you flick it over and slide out, flick it back, fluff the pillows and hey presto - bed made in 3 seconds.

My sister on the other hand always wakes up in a bed that looks like a bomb went off in it and has to strip the bed every morning to remake it - the top sheet is rolled into a tight little sausage at the bottom of the bed, the doona is on the floor, the blanket is sideways - you get the drift.

I have always slept like this and don't know why - though it might have something to do with autism.

I should be like my sister and rock and roll all night because I have astoundingly vivid dreams in both color and action. I don't understand the whole 'dream in black and white' myth, but if you do I'd like to know. Most of my dreams are like an action movie and I wake up mentally exhausted from all the work of running or solving problems. They are quite real. Even the mundane ones are quite annoying - I once dreamed my cow of a next door neighbor pulled up all the daisies out the front of my place and I was yelling at her - it is something she was quite likely to do - then I had to go outside in the morning to see if it was really a dream or a memory. The flowers were still in the ground.

I can revisit dreams, repeat dreams, be different people in my dreams, even be the other gender. I dream in 1st and 3rd person, and sometimes it is only a story and I am not even in the dream - it's just a movie to pass the time.0-o

Other sleeping habits of mine also include the pillow sandwich - pillow, your head goes on it, pillow on top of head - sleep. Also done that all my life and haven't managed to smother myself yet though it seems to be the concern of many.

I have also had a habit of sleep walking, though I don't remember any of it obviously because I was asleep at the time (duh), but the stories from friends and family include pouring myself a glass of milk and getting some cookies and sitting down at the table and eating them (I loathe milk so find it odd I would even drink it in my sleep), unpacking the already packed boxes of stuff when we were moving - yay more work for everyone, and attempting to break out of the house trying to find the toilet - it wasn't my house but my friends so that one, yeah understandable. I live alone so have no idea if I still do this. Most likely I do since it isn't something you really grow out of. People have been known to drive in their sleep - I don't think I'm any where near that dramatic.

So there you have it.

How do you sleep?

What are your interesting habits?

Are you a living dead or a rock'n'roller?

Do you take unscheduled walks?

Are your dreams b&w or color?

Are you even in your dreams?

Need a pillow on the head or some other odd item?

Let us know..if you dare.

Sleep. Ugh. As I've gotten older, it comes with pain in the shoulders, (long stories) and I almost always sleep on my side, so I spend a LOT of time arranging my stack of pillows to keep pressure off the shoulder joints. Lots of waking, tossing, turning. If I get everything just right, I sleep pretty good, but some nights...dry.gif The computer is in the bedroom, so I cruise the internet when I can't sleep, maybe run a few sudokus, maybe read, or pop in a dvd for a while.

Dreams? Always in color, ever since I was a small child. Wild rides, often through open country or mountains. I can be in a vehicle with people and then we're walking or sometimes levitating through various places. Sometimes in the house where I grew up in town, or other houses where I've lived, although they usually morph as the dreams progress. There is an alternate San Francisco and an alternate New York, random other parts of the world too, with wide highways that flutter like wild ribbons as you try to travel along them, then turn into narrow stairs winding up and down the hills. The architecture can be a little intimidating, too, with very old buildings, some crumbling as the dream progresses.

This is an alternate world, and I do return to places or situations in various dreams, could even map some of the very different places.

There have been apocalyptic dreams, with nuclear weapons, or space invaders, sometimes very scary, or dreams where I'm back in high school and I have to run. I had a series of those some years back, and would wake up sweating and tired, like I had actually made the runs. That's really scary! Stairs turn upside down, or disconnect from the building and I have to figure out another way to get where I'm going. Then there are dreams full of friends, sometimes comforting, sometimes taking strange twists. I rarely feel close to anyone in my dreams, though.

Yes, I am in my dreams, but as scenery and other people morph, so do I. Sometimes I wish I could make movies from my dreams, but it would take Terry Gilliam, Tim Burton and Josh Whedon to sort it all out. I've tried painting or drawing some pieces, and sometime I might do a whole series of paintings some the dreams.

Lol...for me, it depends where I am. If I'm at home, I'm a heavy sleeper, but if I'm somewhere I'm not familiar with, like at a retreat activity in school, I sleep really lightly.

I also have a weird habit of sleep talking. Since I share rooms with my sister, and I usually sleep earlier than her, she hears me talk. When it happens, I'm aware I'm sleep talking but I can't control myself xd.png the words just spill out of my mouth. I used to sleep walk too, when I was around 6 but I don't do that anymore.

My dreams are always in color. And there are two kinds, the kind where I can see myself (like a movie) and the more normal kinds where I'm in my own perspective.

Usually I'm forced to run in my dreams so I wake up with a 'tired, breathless feeling'. Other times, I have nightmares that involve zombies. The best dream I've ever had was probably the one where I was able to dream about my friend who I secretly like happy.gif

Aannd...I can't sleep without a night light c:

It usually takes a while for me to actually get to sleep. If I'm at home, I'll lay my stomach/side and roll around or something like that. I'm surprised I don't fall off of the bed most times to be honest.

If I'm anywhere else, I'll probably try to be as still as I can and not touch anything that isn't bed.

I usually tuck the covers under my feet but only at home.

I don't sleepwalk thankfully. I don't know what I would do anyways. I'm not sure I can get on the internet subconsciously

My dreams are always in colour, but they're confusing. Sometimes there's a specific thing happening and other times they make no sense at all. I usually don't know who I am so I just assume I'm myself, although sometimes I get a third person view and sometimes I haven't seen myself there.

I've never really woken up gasping for air or anything, but usually when a dream ends I can still feel the pain from it. Like if I'm stabbed in the stomach or something I'll still feel it.

Most of my dreams are completely different, but some I've returned to. Sometimes they're exactly the same, other times there are things added on.

Wow I wish one of my dreams would make sense.

I am an extremely light sleeper. Any sound, any noise, will wake me up. I usually don't sleep more than 4-5 hours a night in a stretch, if that. My sleep patterns were whacked for a lot of years and I'm still recovering from it. I used to sleepwalk, talk in my sleep, eat and drink in my sleep, etc, but as I've gotten older I don't do it nearly as much anymore. I always start out going to sleep on my right side and right before I finally pass out, I flop over onto my left side. I'm prone to very vivid dreams, which can be really good, or really bad, depending. There are dreams from years ago that I remember in absolute detail to this day. If I'm in a strange place, I have a very hard time sleeping at all.

Sleep varies from night to night. Sometimes I have a good night and will sleep through the night, others I toss and turn, waking up often. I usually lay on my side and have a three pillow arrangement, two like normal, and the third bridging the bottom. Depending on the night, I will change positions on the third to the height I want.

As for dreams, they are always in color. Subject varies from night to night, how well I remember them also varies. I have your standard flying dreams(though it is usually by flapping my arms), even the standard "I'm naked in public" dreams. I also have these really weird dreams where I am so sleepy/tired I can barely walk, and cannot find a place to sleep, and often for odd reasons(like a bed that is constantly flipping), these ones bother me a lot because they are some of my more vivid dreams, and I can "feel" how tired I am in them..

Last night's dream for example I was in a dystopian future where everything you did was closely monitored. I was part of the resistance group that was broken up and was trying to keep from being found out.

Edited by Nectaris

When you dream the parts of your brain responsible for movements actually fire up - there is essentially a lock mechanism in your brain that stops you from performing the actions. Sometimes the lock doesn't go on perfectly, and then people sleep-talk and -walk. At other times you may partially wake up before the lock is off, and then you get sleep-paralysis.

I typically sleep on my side and quite peacefully - it happens quite often I find myself waking in the same position I fell asleep in. I may wake up partially, roll over, then fall right back to sleep, though.

Dreams? Always very vivid. Colour, sound, heat, cold, pressure, pain, also getting tired and going to sleep in my dreams...

Most of my life I have slept in the top bunk, but I still move around at night, toss off covers sometimes. Twice I have woken up with my head near the edge and my pillow hanging over the edge. I assume that my brain is smart enough to keep me from falling.

My dreams are in color almost all of the time. Some times I can't scream in them. Sometimes I dream in my dreams, sometimes my dreams start out scary, but end up turning into a LARP.

Thank you for sharing peeps.

Well I think we can say the Myth that people dream in black and white has been busted right now.

Ah yes - the dreaded 'End of the World' dreams. I don't believe in ghosts or zombies so they don't feature - once you're dead you're dead - no interaction or fake life available.

Instead they seem to be meteors that are on fire, only about golfball, baseball and basket ball size and they don't leave big craters, just fall like hail but can punch through buildings - but they are on fire so more like rocks thrown from a volcano I guess - so if they don't kill you when they 'hail' down they set anything around them on fire - so much yay.

I have died in my dream, we drove the car off a cliff, hit the ground, and it was black for ages, a really uncomfortable length of time. It was a struggle to wake up too so my mobility locking mechanism must have been stuck.

Pain in your dreams is the worst - usually because my pain in real life is so bad I can feel it even while asleep. That's usually when I have dreams of having been bitten by a snake and I have to find a hospital but no one is paying attention and meanwhile the venom is eating though my body.

I also dream when I faint or am under anesthetic - I know you aren't supposed to be able to, but I know I did when I had my appendix out, and recently I fainted from a medication reaction, luckily while in hospital at the time, but had some sort of night terror and was screaming for the whole 7 minutes I was out - freaked the nurses out xd.png. I just remember a silhouette of 4 people walking towards me with unpleasant intentions, one was a dwarf. Then I came to with the nurses hand in a death grip on my neck/chin because the way I fell was actually sitting against the wall and she had to hold my head up so I could breathe - maybe I felt it and put it in a dream.

They say dreams are just your minds way of sorting out the days events - my day was never that interesting or busy.

It is entirely possible to first pass out, and then gradually go over to a more sleeplike state, or only faint "partially" to begin with. The same with anaesthesia - it actually quite often leaves people dangling between somewhere conscious and out. (Note that the paralysing agent and the one that induces the blackout are at least some cases different chemicals...)

Another interesting note about dreams: a significant factor in forming them is a hallucinogen the body itself produces. Hallucinogenic drugs work in the way they do just because the body confuses them for said chemical (the chemical itself from other sources obviously gives the same effect if injected). - Which is not to say that these things are safe. Just think of some of your nastier dreams, and how you might react to those very real-feeling things... Never mind that the body will likely eventually become somewhat confused.

Personally, I'd rather relate dreams to our ability to imagine. I personally often start dreaming before I am fully asleep (the dream-feelings and those of my body in bed overlap), and that feeling is very similar to active visualizing ... with the exception of it not being my waking consciousness intentionally picturing something, but some automatic product of deeper layers of mind.

...Anaesthesia in general is a thing which works in ways one probably doesn't want to think about for too long. (I personally am strange. I have extremely high pain tolerance, and I don't mind watching someone cut into my body, but to let someone loose upon my body while I am out? I'd rather not.)

I sleep from one to five hours at a time, either on my side or back, wrapped around a body pillow. Anything less than three pillows feels uncomfortable, so my bed is covered in them. Typically I'll wake two to three times a night, but I go back to sleep if I don't need to be awake within the next hour. I sleep with a pillow over my head, a habit picked up from months in hospital (the lights were left on all the time. Light sensitivity coupled with all-round bad sleep got me into the habit of using a pillow to block the light. I can't sleep in a room if even a nightlight is on, and I will even turn lights off out in the hallway as they are bothersome. It probably looks like I'm trying to smother myself when I go to bed at first, but I can breathe. Our cat sleeps on my bed too, so she's usually at the foot of my bed or sleeping on top of me. Once woken, say from an alarm, I'm usually up and ready to go within ten minutes. Maybe not in the best of moods, but functional nonetheless.

I've been known to sleepwalk, though the most extreme thing I've done recently is go to the toilet. I'm glad I'm asleep for that, as I'd be mortified if I was consciously aware of what I was doing. As a kid I used to raid the fridge and try to play in the front garden, probably a good thing my mother locked the doors as the neighbourhood wasn't exactly safe. I don't know if I have sleepwalked recently, everyone's bedrooms are on the second floor of the house but mine.

As for dreams I don't usually recall my dreams, so I cannot say if I've ever had recurring ones. From the ones that I can recall, I am always in my dreams, and while my gender sometimes changes, it's always me. If I happen to fall asleep near someone and they are talking I'll probably dream about what they are talking about. For example, as a child I had fallen asleep on my bed. My siblings were playing with their barbie dolls in the same room, where one pair was getting married, another had a pie shop and they were going to have banana ice cream at the wedding. For some reason that ended up in my dream, and I was rather confused as to why I was dreaming of such a strange situation. When I woke up, they told me that I was asking them for some banana ice cream whilst I was asleep.

Oh this is an interesting topic. biggrin.gif

How do you sleep?

It depends on several conditions. Our AC unit is kinda, broke at the moment so, I only have a fan to keep me cool at night. If it's not too hot then I sleep alright. I have to lay on my side in order to fall asleep. Doesn't matter which side, though I tend to fall asleep faster laying on my left. I've tried figuring that part out, but I'm still stumped. The hours I sleep also depends on several conditions. If I stayed up late the night before, if I have to get up earlier, I don't really get a set number of hours each night. I'd say on a normal night I get about 6-8 hours?

No matter what, I always wake up laying on my back. I think it might be the only time I move all night. Not 100% positive, but pretty sure.I have to have some kind of noise to fall asleep, normally the TV is the perfect answer. Just set the sleep timer for an hour and I'm good. I also have to have a little bit of light. Not much, a small night light is fine. Makes it easier to see if I wake up to get a drink or use the bathroom. I also have a bad habit of drooling on occasion, but only when it's hot. (I know, it's stupid and weird, but what can ya do?)

When it's a comfortable temp in my room I'm quite the peaceful sleeper. But if it gets hot then I toss and turn and throw off my blankets onto the floor and it amazes me how much difference a few degrees can make. blink.gif

My mother once told me that I slept walked when I was little, but it was only once and the story that went with it made me question if it was bogus. Other than that, I have no accounts that I've ever had that problem.

My dreams are in color, but I think there was one or two that was in b/w. it was a long time ago now though. The worst dreams are the ones that are so real that when I wake up, I have to actually try and figure out what was dream and what was reality. Turning on the TV helps, but dang its scary. And the only dreams like that have been nightmares. (figures right?) dry.gif

Sometimes. Other times I dream of some of my favorite characters. I love it when that happens. Sometimes they're blurry other times their so clear it's like watching a movie. One of my most popular stories on fanfiction was inspired by a dream and the first chapter is what happened in that dream.

I don't sleep with a pillow on my head, but I have to have a small one between my legs. Otherwise my hips really hurt in the morning. I know there's a condition for that, but I forget. I also have to have something in my arms. Pillow, stuff animal, whatever. Otherwise my arms fall asleep. And I mean dead asleep, like you can't move them and their ice cold. Happened to my leg once. Tried to walk on it and fell flat on my face.

One thing I am happy about is, I usually sleep pretty good. Once I nod off I normally don't wake up unless I'm too hot, have a really bad dream or get jolted awake by a nearby lightning strike. (not actually shocked, but the ferocity of the thunder.) I hate being jolted awake. My heart always races and feels like I got punched in the chest, and I'm breathing so hard its like I just ran a marathon at cheetah speed.

Best way to wake me up? turn on the radio. It only takes me a minute or two to become fully awake and I usually wake up in a good mood with a good tune. I also tend to have better days when I wake up to music. smile.gif

How do you sleep?

Curled up in the fetal position, and always on my side. The only time I sleep on my back is when I'm sick or can't move. when it gets colder, I curl up even smaller.

I always have to sleep while holding something close to me. Usually it a stuffed animal, but it's sometimes a blanket or pillow. I also toss and turn a lot before I fall asleep, and I mean, a LOT.

Once actually asleep, I rarely move. It takes along time for me to get comfortable, however, so I roll around a lot while trying to fall asleep.

Never have, and probably never will.

Color. My dreams tend to be blurry, but I can recall that much.

Usually, yes. My dreams are always in first person and usually involve me. Some personal dreams I've had in the past have had me wake up crying. I don't know why, but it was probably something personal to me.

as I said earlier, i have to be holding something for me to be comfortable. If I don't, I'll just wrap my arms around myself. I also like to sleep with a fan on because it gives me something to focus on rather than the chaos inside my head.

I fall asleep on my side or stomachs and usually wake up on my back. I don't move around very much, though.

As for dreams, I usually am aware that I'm dreaming, but too lazy to induce a lucid dream. Dreaming to me is like watching TV, versus the more cerebral effort that is being lucid, haha.

I usually have a lot of pillows, but sleep on top of my arm. It's weird. I use two blankets, usually, and I sleep with a stuffed panda I named Eddie Poe. Ha. I'm weird.

I usually wake up anywhere from 6:15-6:45 AM on weekdays and 11AM-12PM on weekends (or breaks...) When I actually sleep depends on how tired I am.

I sleep on my side, always. Well, okay, sometimes on my stomach. Otherwise, I flip away from the door, and the blanket covers my face. I always have it away from my nose amd mouth(and typically eyes), but it doesn't look like it... I normally wake up in the same position as I fell asleep in, though.

I have to have something like a plush digging into my side to be super comfortable, and a pillow... Behind a giant plush that I use as a pillow. I also need to clutch my blanket. I normally kick off all but one, and it's always the same...

I move a lot in my sleep. I wake in the same position, kind of, so I don't know if it's true or not.

I don't think I've ever sleepwalked.

My dreams are ALWAYS color. Always.

I'm normally in my dreams... Not always, though.

I need something digging into my side.

Another thing is that when I'm cold, I curl up. And I like to have my feet pressed up against something, or off the bed, which is easy.

And I normally wake up at 5 AM and try to sleep agai

How do you sleep?

I sleep pretty deeply, even now that I'm getting a little older. When I was a baby, I could sleep through anything. My parents once took me with them to hear a performance of the 1812 Overture (the one with the cannons). I slept through the whole thing. And a few years ago, we had a small earthquake in my region that struck in the middle of the night. People had to tell me that it happened the next morning because I slept right through it.

Habits? No, not really.

I usually fall asleep lying nice and neat on my side, but wake up twisted and turned into a strange position.

I've never been a sleepwalker, no. I don't talk in my sleep either. Though as I'm falling asleep, I often mumble to myself, especially if there's something I want to remember the next morning.

I often dream in color, but not always.

I usually am in my dreams, but the ones I'm not in can sometimes lead to good book ideas.

I don't need anything to get to sleep. But sometimes after I've washed my hair and it's hanging loose, I like to keep my hair tie on my wrist so I can quickly put my hair up if it gets in my face while I'm trying to sleep. My mom says I shouldn't because it's bad luck or something. But nothing bad has ever happened to me from doing that.

during sleep, i usually twitch my legs a lot. i wake up in a completely different position than i went to sleep in.

i would say in the middle

color, but i barely even dream. i can't really get into deep sleep

why wouldn't i?

nah not really

How do you sleep?

As of late, on my back, generally with one arm over my cat (who likes to sleep next to me) and the other on my chest or stomach. Sometimes I'll sleep on my side, but I try not to because I always wake up with stiff shoulders whenever I do that.

I have to listen to music to fall asleep, as well as have a light on.

Living dead. Except when I get hot, then I'll toss and turn and wake up twisted around my blankets.

I have when I was younger according to my parents, but not for years. That I know of, anyway.

Color. Perhaps this myth comes from people who used to watch B&W shows and movies? I've heard that playing video games can influence perspective in a dream (3rd person; I have had 3rd person dreams before), so perhaps B&W shows can influence the color? Just a theory.

Usually. Sometimes my dreams happen from the perspective of one of my characters. It usually isn't that different, like after waking up I'll realize that my hair was a different color or I was addressed by a different name or I was a guy. I've had a few dreams where I'm a guy. Surprisingly it was only awkward after I woke up.

Yes to the pillow on the head, because I have found I sleep better in total darkness... but must sleep with a light on in the room. So I improvise.

Edited by HawktalonOfRiverClan

How do you sleep?

Depends. If I'm alone, it's on my side with one arm under my pillow, the other tucked under my chin, one leg straight out, the other hooked over a pillow. Taking up as much space as i can, head in one corner, legs in the other. Usually with my dog somewhere in there. In. Total. Darkness.

If I happen to be *cough* sharing, it's pretty much the same except I can't take all the space I usually enjoy.

Total. Darkness.

I'm a light sleeper, and I will move around if woken up, but generally once asleep I don't move all that much as far as i can tell.

I never have

Color. Always.

Sometimes I am, and I'm just doing me things. Sometimes I'm doing awesome things. Often I'm someone else completely, though. My dreams are pretty mutable.

I need a face mask thing if there is light around. sleep.gif Total. Darkness.

Edited by Draco Knight

How do you sleep?

Usually with my head straight up or on my right side. I have a front bang so sleeping on the left side means hair in my eyes ;-;

Complete darkness. I need a blanket no matter how hot it is.

Living dead pretty much. Anything subtle can make me snap up.

As far as I know, no.

Always color

Sometimes i am in my dreams. Most of the time I have a POV of someone that is made in the imagine of me.

Always need pillow xd.png Or use some of my blanket as one.

How do you sleep?

Not specified.

With small lamp and classic music turned on.

Living dead...I wake up when It's cold.

Nope.

Always color.

Yes. Sometimes I watch myself in dream.

I need pillow.

Edited by sh20000sh

How do you sleep?

Usually curled up on my side, either the left or the right. sometimes on my back, but usually only when I've got some injury that prevents me from sleeping on my side comfortably.

Not sure I have any... I just flop under the covers and snooze.

Sort of in-between I think. There are days I wake up in the same position I fell asleep in, and other nights when I toss and turn and shove all the blankets off.

I don't believe so.

Color. Although I've heard that they're actually b&w and humans, being such odd creatures, simply remember them as color, rather than b&w. But as far as I can tell my dreams are in color.

Pretty much all the time, although sometimes I'm someone else or in someone else's body or watching the scene through someone else's eyes or from the unseen observer's spot... You get the idea. biggrin.gif

Nope.

The "dreams in back and white" thing is a myth. All valid-looking scientific research on it I've seen speaking of dreams as having color already from the very mechanic they are created with.

How do you sleep?

Not sure, I close my eyes normally

I sleep walking, I have seasonal sleeping patterns that are reverse of most people, I sleep better during the day, I sleep cook, fight, dance, and apparently give excellent advice. Also apparently I groan something fierce. I have slept with my eyes open, and when sitting upright or standing, NO one can tell that I am asleep unless they see my eyes as bloodshot.

I got called kicky the bed hog, and I got called the log of death. so it all depends on the mood

Yes, and trouble happens, this is why no one robs my place. last guy to disturb my sleep was sent to the hospital, and I was still sleeping.

Color mostly

Yes, or at least I am the main character

I prefer softness, but I can sleep anywhere and have slept in odd places. No one can ever top sleeping in a couch (not on, IN)

How do you sleep?

I typically roll around in bed for about two hours before I actually pass out from exhaustion. Insomnia loves me for some reason, but I don't love it.

The pillow must be perfect. Otherwise I will not sleep at all.

I also typically start on my back, but wake up on my side because it's more comfortable for me. I also used to talk in my sleep when I was younger (it was always something about ponies or faries) and might still do it, although I'm not sure.

Rock 'n' roller. I've been told that I kick people when I have to share a bed at sleepovers, and my bed is always a mess when I wake up.

Never have, but I have taken half asleep walks in the middle of the night, although I was barely conscious because I was able to talk and respond to questions my parents asked.

I dream in color, although I don't remember a lot of my dreams.

I am, but I'm almost always in first person. I don't remember a dream where I was in second person.

Not anymore. When I was younger I had to have a small stuffed animal. I had a death grip on it, and it felt strange to sleep without. I eventually lost it and, after many nights of no sleep, eventually got used to having nothing in my hand.