kecemis

"Users who have visited this page in the last...."

I propose an additional feature that, below an egg/hatchling/adults description, the owner can see the usernames of those individuals who have recently viewed an egg or hatchling.

The purpose of this would be ultimately to narrow down or look for trends in who is looking at your egg- both a neat feature to see who follows your scroll, and who may be potential egg bombers.

I would like to see this implemented because when I catch my rares at work, I notice almost instantly (especially on silvers and golds) views, meaning someone is vehemently adding them to click sites. I think having a way of viewing who has viewed that dragon's page (especially if you keep notes like I do over weeks at a time) could tell who is potentially view bombing eggs.

The option could be disabled from the account settings, and could have one of a few options:

views from the last hour, last 24 hours, or last three days (or week?).

Thoughts?

Anybody could avoid this by simply being logged out when looking at dragons.

Anybody could avoid this by simply being logged out when looking at dragons.

What if we required you to be logged in to view dragons in the first place?

Seems like a very detrimental thing. I'd imagine quite a few people have joined DC because they saw somebody's dragon, viewed its info page, and looked at at least one person's scroll.

Seems like a very detrimental thing. I'd imagine quite a few people have joined DC because they saw somebody's dragon, viewed its info page, and looked at at least one person's scroll.

yep that's how I found DC

I often post my eggs to places like my deviantArt homepage to get views from passerby. I would not appreciate this. D;

Also, since most view bomb attempts come from the original malicious person posting them to places many well intended people will view them, I'm not certain how much good it would do.

I can also see it leading to a number of finger-pointing at innocent people, so I'd have to say, "no."

I like this idea but not for the proposed reason. This way clicks and views can be shared between people without the use or off-site hatcheries. I would be more willing to click someone's dragons who viewed my scroll than just some random people off the forums or off a hatchery.

Yeah I can see a lot of innocent people getting caught in the blast radius here. All a viewbomber needs is the code; they don't even need to look at the /view page to get it. Or even look at the egg. If they were mad that you got some egg they wanted out of a biome, they can get the code very, very easily.

Edited by Lythiaren

The way views work now don't even require a user to actually *click* an egg to give it a view. Like, for example, if an egg is posted on a forum signature, simply visiting the page where that signature is present already gives that egg a view as I understand it.

Unlike Flamingo, I wouldn't like a way to get more views without hatcheries. If I give views to someone's eggs (and, as I said above, I don't even necessarily have to visit their scroll/eggs for that), I don't want them to give me views in return.

Also, as mentioned in some of the replies, this feature has a potential to cause false accusations to people who don't view-bomb.

As much as I hate view-bombing, honestly, I'd prefer something like alternate fog to what is suggested in this thread.

I often post my eggs to places like my deviantArt homepage to get views from passerby. I would not appreciate this. D;

Also, since most view bomb attempts come from the original malicious person posting them to places many well intended people will view them, I'm not certain how much good it would do.

This is a real problem by the way, I've gotten yelled at for clicking a creature without permission in another game that does display the names of people who clicked on a creature. I only click on creatures posted to the proper threads and hatcheries for that game, either they forgot to remove their creature or someone posted it without their permission. Either way it wasn't my fault their creature got too many views, but there was no way to prove that.

View bombers can't make eggs and hatchies sick all by themselves since uvs are limited to one per person a day and ovs are limited to 15 per day, it just not possible for the views from one person to make an egg or hatchie sick. View bombers work by posting eggs/hatchies somewhere else so that the excess views come from other people innocently viewing eggs in hatcheries and signatures. Recording the names of the people viewing the eggs won't prevent viewbombing because the people being recorded are innocent--it's not their fault that someone posted the eggs in every single hatchery the bomber knew about.

That would pretty much kill people's ability to raise eggs through anything but hatchery sites, and neither this nor the original suggestion would actually address the actual problem.

Remember, there's a cap on the amount of views an individual IP can provide- the views that sicken or kill a viewbombed egg aren't coming from the viewbomber themself but from innocent users just viewing hatcheries (and/or forum posts) the same way as they ordinarily would. If I'm running AoND in a side tab, for example, I have no way of knowing or even controlling if my views are going to an egg that was put there maliciously rather than honestly.

A better solution might be for hatcheries to require you to be logged in to the account a dragon is on in order to enter it, unless you have 'accepting aid' set- but that would also require recoding on their end, and probably increased server load and/or cookie-sharing from the Cave.

(There is a topic on this about seeing who viewed your scroll but there doesn't seem to be a previous one discussing specific view page counts.)

I do understand your intent and reasoning, but I don't support this feature. As mentioned, there are ways where this could be misused. As well, I don't think it's necessary nor particularly helpful (nor do I think it would look too great on the page) and there are just sooo many other things that would be more helpful and useful and that would help the issue you're talking about (such as the auto-fogging options and there's a topic around here discussing the API and improvements that may encourage fansites to make it so only scroll owners can add their own scrolls) that I'd prefer be added to the game. ^^

And a definite no to only logged-in users being able to give views to eggs for reasons already mentioned. =\

(And I am sorry you got hit by a viewbomber. I know it can't be fun. D: )

This really makes no sense at all.

To my knowledge, the majority of users (or at least users on the forum) use hatcheries that are completely independent of DragonCave. Allure, Silvi's, Eggs around the world, etc etc, NONE of which require you to be logged in to give eggs views, and ALL of which would be completely useless to anyone if that suddenly became required on-site. I can give views to upward of 100 users on Allure in less then five minutes... Do you really think users as a whole are going to want to lose that simplicity by making everyone log in on-site in order to give those views?

Yes, view-bombing is frustrating and upsetting, but really, changing the entire way the game works is not the answer.

All right, So this apparently won't solve the issue. Thanks for your thoughts, I'd like to close this thread.