TJ09

2014-04-05 - Monthly Release Notice

It will be simple the massive disappointment that others with GMT + ? usually feel during every relase :/

I don't actually believe that's true since most people have already figured out ways to make the midnight release work for them. The releases have been at midnight for a good number of years and we've adapted. We saw that last night with people who had set alarms and woke up early to make the release only to find that it has been postponed. A midday release turns everyone's plans, including those folk's, upside down.

There are those who hit the midnight release and those who prefer to hunt later that day because it's easier for them then once the first flood of users have locked themselves up. Now all of these people, if they aren't working or spending time with their family, etc, are going to be on at the same time. With the lag associated normally at midnight, we can figure on that being much worse due to the higher volume of people. That would lead to more frustration and more people not being able to catch anything.

Edited by Sir Barton

I'm positive TJ is going to do a 24hr drop with this new timeslot

Didn't the last release do this?

I think it was much better. I did get a cave-blocker when I picked mine up at 1:00 A.M. cave-time, though, so it wasn't completely free sailing.

Since he hasn't come out and said that, it's still a gray area, but I hope you're right.

Hmm. Excited about seeing the new eggs/dragons; apprehensive about the new time.

I guess we'll all see how it goes!

Agree with Sir Barton that this is not confirmed or even implied in any way.

On top of that, if the drop is going to last 24h (which pretty much caters to everyone, except people who're unavailable for the whole day), there wouldn't be a need to change the time in the first place.

My hopes aren't high on this.

Doesn't that depend on how rare the dragons are supposed to be?

It was an exclusive drop last time, for 24 hours.

Agree with Sir Barton that this is not confirmed or even implied in any way.

On top of that, if the drop is going to last 24h (which pretty much caters to everyone, except people who're unavailable for the whole day), there wouldn't be a need to change the time in the first place.

My hopes aren't high on this.

I never implied that TJ has said that, I was expressing my opinion. Sorry for any confusion.

I'm just hoping I can stay awake for the release... lol and if I do that my computer dose not explode with the lag. I live in the Est time zone and was here at Midnight since that's normal time for new drops and we did not have advance warning that the drop was delayed.... problem is I normally am asleep because of my work scheduled a 1pm... so having to stay up until the release so I don't sleep through it just in case it dose not last 24 hrs.

I don't actually believe that's true since most people have already figured out ways to make the midnight release work for them. The releases have been at midnight for a good number of years and we've adapted. We saw that last night with people who had set alarms and woke up early to make the release only to find that it has been postponed. A midday release turns everyone's plans, including those folk's, upside down.

There are those who hit the midnight release and those who prefer to hunt later that day because it's easier for them then once the first flood of users have locked themselves up. Now all of these people, if they aren't working or spending time with their family, etc, are going to be on at the same time. With the lag associated normally at midnight, we can figure on that being much worse due to the higher volume of people. That would lead to more frustration and more people not being able to catch anything.

Except that we will be losing the people who can't manage the new time and so on. I think it should even out.

I am SO with Misha:

I'm all for a let's wait and see category. We will never have everyone agree as to the best time/day to release new monthly dragons and this is a test of the system and, I assume, whether it can carry the load of players grabbing dragons at that hour. I highly doubt that these would be rares especially as this is the first time with this trial. I can't honestly remember a rare (not uncommon) being dropped back in my memory.  So I'm going to chill and see how it goes.

Also - midnight IS hell for people in LARGE parts of the world who have jobs, school etc. Just because we are used to it doesn't make the plight of those who actually CANNOT do midnight any less.

Edited by fuzzbucket

Except that we will be losing the people who can't manage the new time and so on. I think it should even out.

... you have to figure in that there are people who were here for midnight and are trying to stay up for the 1pm release... and the people who come on in the 13 hours between midnight and 1pm who had been expecting to catch and have a full scroll already... add all of that on top of the normal 1pm population and lag... so here's hoping for a long release / increased eggs dropping at each of the 5 min drops.

I've just logged on to DC to read most of this thread. I am in EST and while I rarely hunted at the midnight hour, I've grown to like the midnight release because by the time I usually hit the caves 6 - 10 hours after the release, the initial rush has died down but the drop count is still fairly high. I'll be here for the release in 3 hours and, with my moderate internet speed, will voice my true reaction to the change in release time later. Hopefully I'll be able to post and not be restricted due to censorship.

I'm sorry, TJ, but I don't think I'm going to like the mid-day release of new eggs. Let me cite just a couple of reasons:

I always try to get new eggs on the day they're released. Until now, that gave me a full 24 hours to catch them; if I wasn't on line a midnight cave time, I still had several hours remaining to catch them. Now, anyone trying to acquire new eggs on their release date have only 11 hours, not 24, to do so.

A second reason that I don't like it is that Sunday is more typical of a travel date for many people. I will often be on the road on Sunday, as I would be if the new release was next week instead of today. That would really make it difficult to get new eggs on their release date, as by the time I got home, I would have just a few hours to get them.

Regardless, I am looking forward to the new release, whatever time the new eggs drop.

Edited by casprrr

Thank you TJ for putting the time at an hour that I can be on the game.

I don't mind the midnight drop time, it's just I miss it, because it's my time to play Diablo 3 with my son and grandson, who live in San Antonio and it's the only chance I get to be with them, even if it's just on the computer and over the phone.

I do hope there are rares. I never get rares. People are complaining and hoping there aren't any rares, because there will be more people online at the new drop time. What's wrong with some of the others of us getting a few rares.

I've been reading how many people are upset for the time change. But as you said it's just an experiment.

Thanks again TJ

I really liked the old release time, but obviously the DC world doesn't revolve around me. biggrin.gif

This, actually. So VERY this. We are all reacting selfishly based on what WE want. Which is inevitable - but none of us has the right to expect it all to revolve around us.

Aww... But I actually have to do things at 1 PM...

I know I won't be able to make any summer releases if they're at 1:00. Working at summer camp, we pretty much only have time to get online at night when the kids are in bed.

I'm hoping that they'll be adding the Dendrobate Wyvern. wink.gif

Edited by derp1

Possibly. It does put me out of the running, so that's one less person to add to the lag, but I would be surprised if you don't end up with a lot more on line than usual. You should still have a good number of the midnight people mixing with the folks like Corn Serpent and my roommate.

Well, I'm out of here. Y'all have fun, and I really do hope that it runs smoother than I expect.

Hmmm, I liked ist how it was before. dry.gif

I think I won't be able to catch any egg now sad.gif

Alright, now that I've slept and given this a chance to sit in... I don't like the idea of the drop starting at 1pm. I'm on cave time, and I don't have anything to do on Sundays that would keep me here... but then I remembered the lag.

I'm usually here for the midnight drop. I struggle so badly to catch eggs even on my good computer because of all the lag. I end up clicking the same egg 20 times. Then the site goes down. Sometimes I give up and go to bed and know that it'll be easier to catch when I wake up 8 hours later.

I'm not going to have that buffer now. It's going to happen at 1 pm. And all that lag is going to be a nightmare, especially since more people will be awake to attack the site hunting for eggs. Not only that, but I'll be struggling to even find which biome the eggs are in. And my anxiety might shoot through the roof, even with my medication.

I volunteer at a preschool during the week. Meaning after all the lag settles down (I'd say hopefully after an hour or two at best), it'll be around 3 pm and I will have to make sure I'm here until I get what I need because I go to bed around 10. You may think that's plenty of time to catch and egg, but for me it's not. During some releases I didn't catch an egg until around 8 pm when the drop was at 12 am. Even if I woke up at 8 when I started hunting, that's still 12 hours it took me to catch the egg. If old eggs start mixing in, I might never get my hands on them.

By the time I get back from my volunteer work, it'll be past 1 pm. Meaning the 24 hours of nothing but that egg will be over. And catching the eggs will only get more difficult unless the adult dragons are not something people want to horde.

And in case anyone wants to tell me I shouldn't be so worried about catching the dragon because they'll always be here: I have not seen a Blusang or a Copper in the caves since they were released. I had to look up the descriptions of both these eggs because I have forgotten what they are. If we're not luck enough to get them on the time they drop, then we don't get the eggs ever. And that's not fair, especially considering Copper dragons were stated to be uncommon.

Basically, I wouldn't mind if TJ sets the release at 1 pm... if he sets it on a Saturday. That way we have the weekend to catch the eggs and the release doesn't bleed into Monday for some people.

All these negative replies are selfish.

Being GMT 0, I always miss the monthly releases. Its always at 5AM, and if I were awake at that time, I'd get have to get up at 5, which doesn't fit my clock.

This way, it's 6pm for me, and I can get them. So can the Americans.

Its way more fair.

It seems like a lot of users are slightly upset with the new change to this release (i'll admit I am a little, too. Sitting here at 2 in the morning isn't fun), but I guess it's because we're all used to the 'midnight' drops.

I'm sure TJ is just experimenting, or he might have had something on before, we'll never know. But hey, at least we're still getting a dragon.

Midnight release was always horrible for me and I really don`t understand why people have so much problems with the new release time. But that`s the problem on dc, when TJ makes something new many people are crying and want the old one back while others like it. TJ will never be able to make it right for everyone.

Basically, I wouldn't mind if TJ sets the release at 1 pm... if he sets it on a Saturday. That way we have the weekend to catch the eggs and the release doesn't bleed into Monday for some people.

That's a good idea. smile.gif

I'm hoping that they'll be adding the Dendrobate Wyvern.  wink.gif

Not a chance - it has only just been finished, concepts first sit on the completed list for a while, then they're taken off and let off for at least a month so people can forget about them. So once something has been taken off the completed list it's time to start hoping for it to be released wink.gif

Edited by Rhynn Collins