ShadowMonster

The third Greenfield

Elfte wasn't walking long before she found someone else to interact with. She loved talking to people, especially the crazy ones. She analyzed the woman's face and did not come up with a match in her memory. She approached the girl just as she mentioned that people in this town were rude, "Well some are not so bad", she said with a smile, "But some are the kind you don't want to say that too loudly to". She stuck out her hand in one smooth motion, "I'm Elfte", she introduced, "are you new here?".

Sideway threw himself to one side of the road as a ghostly chariot driven by a headless man screamed down the road. Literately, it was screaming as it passed. He stood up and dusted the dirt off the front of his shirt. This Town was going to kill him. He was only human after all. He rounded the corner and stopped dead. Not too far away, there was a solid black wolf. A bead of sweat dropped down the side of his head. This town has wolves too? the thought, everything around her can kill me.

((Is it alright if I initiate a timeskip for Skinner and Fette? It's not long, just to a later point that night.))

Fette rubbed a tattooed thumb against his temple in fatigue , bending low to stretch a long arm around a dusty rose-patterned trunk. With a delicate clink, he withdrew a platter of mismatched and chipped teacups from its hiding place; a thick bottle of amber liquid perched beside them.

He ignored Skinners' question, instead pulling out another age worn stool from behind the enormous, sloping counter and settling it in front of the other magic user. "Rocks or no?" Fette asked, tossing a few long, wandering dreadlocks over the shoulder of his dusty coat. "Don't count as a business meetin' if there ain't an act of hospitality." He tossed a sharp toothed grin Skinners' way before adding; "Keeps the mojo clear, ya know? Ain't nothin' worse than ill will creepin' in before you need to fight a lake monster..."

Settling himself into one of the stools with a thump, Fette crossed one long, grasshopper- like leg before pouring two long droughts of amber liquid into a pair of teacups. "So" Fette began, absently twirling a dreadlock "I suppose you're wondering how the hell I found a godda** frogman in Greenfield, huh?" He took a long sip from his teacup, grimacing before he continued. "I heard Monday spouting out about some kind of slimy naked man-thing glaring at him from the pond last week.... He was working himself up into a steady fit, too; screamin', tryin' to hide in the shelves of my shop, makin' a damn fool of himself." Fette sat quietly for a moment, casting a small sideways glance at the drumsticks concealed in Skinners' lapel. "So of course, I went to check it out. I thought he was just playin' me for a fool... At least until I saw this starin' back at me from the mud on the bank." With that, Fette uncrossed his legs to stride across the shop; disappearing for a moment behind a motheaten taperstry. He returned a moment later, an enormous clay mold held gingerly beneath one arm.

He deposited the enormous mold onto Skinners' lap, the waning light within the shop revealing the impression of an enormous, flippered paw within it. The size of the impressed print was huge, nearly two feet and length; not including the heavy impressions of a set of vicious claws which extended nearly three inches beyond.

"Impressive, ain't it?" Fette said simply before draining the last of his teacup; his face pale.

(Fine by me)

Z smiled. "I'm fine, Spike. Really. No need to worry about me." His smile faded into a glare as the fairy climbed onto his head. "You can help by getting off my head."

Zali turned, startled. She hadn't seen the girl approach. "Oh uh sorry. Didn't mean to be rude. No one will answer me though." She smiled and shook her extended hand. "I'm Zali. Not new but I don't come into town much. I live in the forest."

Ria climbed off of Z's head and rubbed his side with her small hand petting his side. She examined his wings seeing that they were recently healed she bows "I'm sorry if I hurt you you crashed lately right? Or just healed recently?" Ria believed she could trust this little upset dragon and giggled "better mister grumpy dragon?"

'Rocks",Skinner said, removing his drumstick and placed in on the table next to his teacup. He didn't say much when Fette explained how he found the Skum other than a few well placed "Hum" or "I see". He was very surprised when the tall man dropped a hunk of clay into his lap. He retrieved his glasses from inside his jacket and put them on. He inspected the print with mute fascination, "This is amazing Fette. Your not bad at preserving prints either", he said. With a thought, Skinner placed the cast on the ground and stuck his booted foot in it. It was huge compared to his own foot, "Damn. This gold better not be cursed or something", he said, "This thing must be at least 7 foot tall", he mentioned. He took a drink from his teacup and thought for a moment, "I'm going to need to do some reading before we meet up tonight", he said, downing the rest of the drink.

Elfte dropped her hand, "Elfte" she said, "were you looking for something", she said. She smiled when she said that she lived in the forest, "How strange. Where do you sleep?", she asked.

Fette sat his teacup down with a forced laugh, nearly snapping the handle off with an involuntary clench of his fist. "Haha, yeah...I've *ahem* been doing the same since Monday came rolling into my shop that day." Fette turned to peer out one of the shops dirt-streaked windows, the warm orange hues of the setting sun washing over his dark figure; converting the ashen pallor of his face to a map of oranges and reds.

"I think it's 'bout time we split up, friend....I got a few er, medlies I need to mix before tonight." Fette said with a quiet grumble, patting at a few of his many hidden pockets. Hefting himself out of his seat, Fette strode long-leggedly towards the murky darkness of the back of his shop, his worn boots tapping lightly against the floorboards, mapping his location long after he disappeared; leaving Skinner alone in the setting darkness of his store.

-------------------------------------------

Fireflies blinked lazily in the oppressive nights' air, throwing small arcs of weak light against the thick reeds lining the bank of the deceptively still waters of the lake. A short curse echoed across the bank, followed by the rustling of grass and cattails.

"Monday, I swear tah god if you're playin' me for a fool, imma make seven different types 'a voodoo dolls after yah. One for each day 'a tha week!" Fette threatened, kicking a long, black clothed leg over a rotted log before continuing to push his way through the thick brush.

The shorter, red haired man seemed to float ahead of Fette, turning his head this way and that. Mondays' huge, nearly luminescent eyes peered fearfully this way and that; scanning the shore for signs of the creature that'd nearly dragged him into the cold waters a few weeks before.

"I know it's around here somewhere..." Monday moaned, biting at his nails. "Where's Skinner anyway? I'll bet he can help us with somma his hocus-pocus whatsit...." Monday turned around in place, running his fingers through his ratty hair. The whites of his eyes seemed to shine brightly in the dark, and with another low, stressed moan, Monday pointed a long finger towards an area of the bank. The mud was scored deeply, seemingly as though it'd been raked thoroughly with a set of long claws; the surrounding vegetation was trampled and thrown about, lying shredded along the banks. After a moment the revolting smell of blood and viscerae seemed to envelop the two; forcing itself like a living thing over the two men. Choking, Monday fled, moving so quickly that he almost seemed to float out of the underbresh; speeding away from the lake before disappearing behind the ramshackle cabin settled comfortably on the hill.

Fette sighed, settling himself patiently down on a claw-raked log to wait for Skinners' arrival.

Skinner walked along the bank of the lake long after the sun went down. The moon hung in both the sky and on the surface of the lake. He was tossing bundles of bloody meat into the water as he walked. Chumming the water, they were going to need every advantage they could get. HE turned a bend in the shore and saw the tall man sitting on a log, "Hello there", Skinner said, as chipper as if they were just going on a midnight walk, "ready to catch the big one?". He dropped three fishing poles off his back and into the sand. He dropped the bucket too, tossing another bundle of chum into the water. He sat down next to Fette and drug one of the lines from the reel towards him. Three huge fish hooks hung at different heights on the end of the line. He stabbed a entire fish on the hooks and cast the heavy line into the water, "I figured old methods are the best methods", He said as he started working on the second line, "There are a few modifications of course, The bait has a sleeping agent in it, the line is uncutable by normal means, normal things to prepare for catching a giant fish monster", he said. He jammed the poles into the sand and set the drag. He sat back on the log and sighed, "So what ideas do you have?". he asked.

Back home comfortably, Raven took to putting away food and tidying up the rest of the place. She broke out paint, and painted over the hastily scrawled graffiti. Then, the girl patched up the windows as best she could. Satisfied, she sat herself down on the couch and opened a can of Dr. Pepper. The house felt empty, despite it's old inhabitant.

Rain lazily circled the forest below. Originally, she'd been tracking a few stray demons, hell bent on the destruction of a mall in a large city. Upon seeing her, they'd fled. While to the humans, her form could vary from a normal teenage girl, to a mid-thirty police woman, demons weren't so easily fooled. It was only the inexperienced ones that couldn't see past her facade (it was quite opposite for the humans however. Those who were old, and wise, and truly believed in His power, could see her). Even if they were fooled anyways, the angelic aurora she still radiated was a dead give away. It puzzled Rain, that she, considered to be a fallen angel at best, still held the power of an angel. But, she could not return to her home.

The crash of a falling tree pulled her from her thoughts. Looking down, she saw that the devilish creatures now scuttled away from the smoldering remnants of a stump. The angel was growing weary of this cat and mouse game. She stuck down as a bolt of lightning, followed by a clap of thunder. The measly creatures cowed before her, but it was only for a few moments as they grew bold. One demon sneered, "Where's your halo, little angel?" Rain's grip tightened around her relic. The second demon followed cue. "Aww, poor little angel, Damon got your tongue?" At this they both snickered. With a flash, they both quieted. They stood for a few seconds, looking at each other stupidly. Then slowly, their bottom jaw peeled away from the rest of their face, dropping into the grass, smoldering. Fear was apparent in their eyes as Rain raised her sword, and made one swiping motion. The bodies dropped to the ground and began to hiss, and within twenty seconds, the bodies were only ash.

She sheathed her sword, and spread her dark wings. Her mouth was pressed into a tight line.

The war had claimed many. Damon, had been fighting amongst the rest, and had perished, back to hell. Because he'd helped an angel escape, only He could have known what'd happened. Rain's vision couldn't reach that deep into the bowels of the earth.

Edited by RavenWolf1010

(I've been in limbo for a while, waiting for claw to post with Detrin and Sariente... Actually, I've been waiting for her to post in general. Just assuring you guys that I'm still alive.)

"You didn't hurt me..." Z mumbled. "And yes I crashed and just got my wing fixed."

"Well I've got a sort of little house thingy set up out there." Zali didn't really know how to explain it. She'd never had to before. "I was looking for somewhere to eat. I've been looking for a while but can't find anywhere."

Fette wrinkled his nose as Skinner tossed more chum into the water; the smell really was awful, he thought. He nodded anyway, raising a courteous hand as Skinner trudged to and fro.

"O' course I have a few ideas" Fette chuckled, rolling up the sleeves to his mothworn coat before patting at its sides. "I got enough metaphorical firepower in here to kill five aboleths....we just er, need to bring it to our level first." At this, Fette brushed a flyaway dreadlock from his face, casting a dubious look at the line of fishing poles standing guard along the bank. "I s'pose this 'd do it....."

---------------------

The late nights' breeze drifted cooly by, prompting Fette to clutch his coat tighter around his thin arms. It had been hours, and he was exhausted; a dimly lit cigarette winked sleepily between his teeth.

Rubbing at his dark eyes, Fette patted at his coat, quieting a small, squirming mass hidden somewhere in a pocket within it before turning back to look at the shore. His eyes drifted sleepily shut, and his head had already nodded quietly to rest on his chest when he heard the light ripple of the waves. He thought he heard the line to one of the fishing poles go taut, but a light doze had already taken his senses from him.

Skinner was reading a monster manual by the light of a small, suspended orb of pale yellow light. Fette seemed to be bored and drowsy and Skinner could not blame the man. IT had almost been three hours since they got out there and long ran out of things to talk about. Skinner didn't play well with others and it seemed Fette did not either. After their conversation died out pitifully they both went back to their respected activities. He was hoping that reading up on the monster they were hunting wound help them out. The only problem was the swamp of legends and stories that differed in every way possible. Some aboliths were giant sea monsters, others were little frog men. Some only lived in salt water, some in fresh. Skinner couldn't even nail down what color they were. This whole trip was beginning to feel like a waste of time.

That thought vanished when he heard the click of the drag on the left most fishing line. He looked over his book and aimed his light apparition at the pole stuck in the sand. Sure enough, the pole was slightly bending at the tip. Skinner guessed that they hooked another catfish and stood up to check the line. In a flurry of sand, the pole was ripped from the ground and began to sprint towards the water. Skinner cursed and chased after it. As he neared the water, he fumbled for his scissors. If this thing was big enough to break a unmoving spell, he was going to need an anchor. He caught up to the pole and picked up up. He was almost ripped from his hands when what felt like a truck pulled on the other end of the line. Skinner dropped his scissors in order to grab the cork grip with both hands, his heels drug throguh the sand, "Fette!", he yelled to the dozing man, "I need those scissors!" Cold water splashed into his boots as he was drug into the water. The reel screamed as the line unwound from the spool. Skinner jerked the line up to set the hook and the pulling stopped. He was afraid that he pulled the bait loose and lost his catch.

He was proven wrong when he was ripped off his feet and cast head first into open water. His little light orb still floated after him like a wisp. Skinner broke the surface and gasped for air. He struggled for his drumstick in his soaked jacket. He could no longer touch the muddy bottom of the lake and had to tread water to keep his head up. He lost his grip on the pole long ago and was afraid that they lost the beast.

That idea was forgotten when a clawed hand grabbed Skinner's ankle and drug him underwater. "Fewha!", was all he could call back to the man on the shore before his mouth was filled with water. His orb of light followed him underwater and illuminated Skinner's captor. The beast had a wade face like a toad or frog. It's black, pupilless eyes stared soullessly up at Skinner's fearful face. It opened it's mouth and revealed rows of long, needle-like teeth. Skinner finally wrestled his wand free and aimed it at the beast, "Fuzioh", He yelled, his spell distorted by the water. the wand shot a spark of magic and went dead. censorkip.gif! Spells don't work underwater he thought. The Skum twisted it's head like a shark and clamped it's jaw down on Skinner's leg. His mind exploaded in pain as his blood swirled around him in the water. He broke the leather cord that was holding a round bottle of white powder on his belt. Skinner remembered from his readings that Skum tend to bite multiple times to increase blood loss and weaken it's prey. The Skum reared back it's head and skinner thrust the bottle into it's mouth. It's fangs grazed his forearm as the beast chomped down on the bottle. Skinner twisted his face away as an explosion concussed from the creature's mouth. The beast roared and let Skinner go.

Skinner wasted no time getting back to shore. He did think he could swim so fast. Guess that's what happens when a monster is swimming around him. He slogged out of the water, ignoring the burning pain in his arm and leg. He stopped and looked at the Hoodooist, "Did you find my scissors?", he asked with sarcasm as he limped towards the man.

A dim whirring faintly intruded Fettes' dream. He was accepting a reward, the biggest he and his ferret companion had ever won; a literal cartoon sack of various forms of gold and paper currency, lovingly presented by a raven beauty in a sparkling green dress. He really couldn't take his eyes off of her, her glowing tan under the hot stage lights; her scaly green dress seemed to swim before his eyes, almost hypnotizing him within his own dream. He turned to kiss her, dragging his head with dreamlike slowness through the thick air, when he was met with her eyes, glowing black and cold and flat.

Fette gasped, bolting awake still on his claw-torn perch. Alone. That was bad. Terrible, really.

A spluttering cry caught his attention, and darting from his place on the log, he scanned the churning waters. Skinner was floundering farther out, too far for Fette to reach quickly; waving one arm like a flagging sail. Fette ran for the bank, stripping off his coat and shoes as he sprinted for the shore, when something caught his eye. Something was bobbing on the lakes' surface; a pair of enormous black eyes like the ones in his dream, settled flatly within a sloped, slimy face. With a flash of light and a terrible, screeching roar, the eyes were gone; diving below the surface with a stream of sizzling bubbles before being followed by a great finned tail, which whipped over the surface of the water like a great snake.

Fette stood, dumbfounded in place, still holding one metal capped boot in hand as he watched Skinner drag himself to land. He watched, his scruffy jaw agape as the shorter man turned to him to say something, one eyebrow raised sharply in sarcasm. Dumbly, he tramped back along the shore, boot still in hand to retrieve the other mans' scissors, guided by an internal, instinctive pull to where they sat half covered in sand and weeds.

"I uh... think we should follow it" Fette said, bending to hand Skinner his scissors. "Seems like its' hurt and headin' for home. I think we could take it if I-" Fette stopped short, noticing the other mans' jagged, bleeding wounds for the first time. "Aw censorkip.gif" Fette muttered, kneeling beside his companions' mutilated leg. Eyebrows furrowed in concern, Skinner dug through his pockets, retrieving a red, bitter smelling sachet small bottle full of strange clear liquid. He passed the bottle wordlessly to Skinner, as he gingerly rolled up the leg of the other mans' jeans; his lips pulled in a tight, humorless line.

"Sit." Fette ordered, turning to retrieve his coat for the other, numerous jars and bottles within it. Settling back onto the damp sand, now armed with a multitude of other similar red bundles, Fette ran a hand through his filthy dreadlocks. "Sh*t" He cursed, wrapping one of the bundles tightly against Skinners' leg. "Sh*t Sh*t Sh*t that was stupid of you." He pulled the bundle tighter against the other mans' leg, inspecting it for only a moment before turning to attend to his arm. "So we found our aboleth, I guess...." Fette said quietly, turning Skinners' arm to inspect it for swelling. Swelling was bad news, especially for a bite from a monster like this.... swelling carried venom, and not knowing the enemy made the danger even worse.

After binding the other mans arm, perhaps too tightly, Fette slumped back to sit beside him, facing the now placid waters.

"So you uh, still up for chasing this thing?" Fette asked lightly, nudging Skinners' as of yet uninjured other arm. " 'Cause uh... ain't no time like the present, ya know." Catching the other mans' look he added; "Plus, I kinda threw some Eastern Boneset on that wound, but it only really promises to cure snakebites, soooooo you could be dead in four to six hours anyway." Fette added, checking his watch by the light of the waxing moon.

Skinner did as he was told. Both sitting and drinking the liquid Fette gave him. The latter was much worse than the first. It tasted like a mixture of mothballs and cherry limeaid and it made Skinner's stomach flip as it touched down. He coughed, "What was that censorkip.gif?", he asked, sticking out his numb tongue. He cringed when Fette worked on his bite wounds. Removing his drumstick, he pressed it into one of the bites on his arm as Fette worked on his mangled leg, "Faxvidus", he muttered. In a flash, the veins in his arm lit up a clear blue just below the skin. That was a good sign, "No dangerous toxin", he said when the spell didn't reveal anything deadly, "but I do feel weird. Fascinating. A low dose neurotoxin designed for small prey. Guess it just mauls anything bigger than a raccoon". He flinched as Fette bandaged him up. He gratefully took his scissors and replaced them back in their leather holders. He rose from his seat on the log and walked to the water's surface. Their prize was escaping and they needed to find it.

((to keep from blowing up the thread, Padfoot and I are switching to this format.))

Skinner walked to the edge of the water and bent down. With a flick of his drumstick, another orb of floating light appeared above him, illuminating the bank before him. The gentle waves washed over his already soaked boots. He stuck his finger in the black film that was washing over the sand. He brought them up to his lips and touched his tongue to the liquid, “blood...and something else….”, he said, thinking about what he just tasted, “Oh, duh. Phosphorus”, skinner said

Fette followed Skinners’ lead, wrinkling his nose at its’ horrid taste. “Oh, ew” Fette spat, “Since when did lake monsters secrete phosphorous, anyway?” He paused for a moment, raising an eyebrow in interest before bolting back to his coat, returning with an empty glass vial. “Might as well get a sample…”Fette said,casually tossing a dreadlock over one shoulder. “Never know if I’ll be able to get another untainted vial of aboleth blood, ya know?”

Skinner brushed off his hands on his pants and turned to face the man. He shook his head, ‘It doesn’t secret it”, he said, untying one of the glass bottles dangling from his belt, “You’re not the only one with little tricks in bottles”. Skinner tossed the free bottle to the man, the yellow powder inside shifted, “Thought ahead. These are full of phosphorous. It’s highly reactive with water and that explosion you saw is what happen when it comes in contact with it”, he said, “Maybe if you learned some real chemistry you would know that.”

Fette said nothing, instead simply turning his vial over, depositing the brackish liquid back onto the shore. Straightening his lapel, he turned, quietly gathering his coat from its crumpled place in the sand; its’ mysterious living resident turning over in the pocket. A tiny pink nose poked momentarily out, only for Fette to gently tap it, pushing the creatures’ tiny head back inside. He donned the jacket, brushing loose sand from its’ shoulders before turning back to Skinner. “Seems like I’ve made a pretty decent living with no “decent chemistry knowledge so far” “ Fette snipped, checking the other vials still stashed within his coat. “I’m not, ya know, bleeding out on a beach because I can’t hold my own against a big frog.” With that, Fette turned, still straightening his coat with a huff. “Now c’mon, this moonlight ain’t gonna last forever and you still owe me a favor, Mister Magician.” With that, Fette walked off the bank, following the trail of black fluid into the lake; holding his boots calmly over his head with one tattooed hand.

Skinner watched in silence as the man waded into the murky water. He waited for him to turn back and quit the act but instead he just brought up the favor. Skinner groaned and pointed his wand at the dark liquid on the shore, “incaendium”, he said without much enthusiasm. The reactive phosphorous in the water lit up like a firefly trail. The glowing blood lead away from the attack zone and out into deeper water. Skinner removed his shoes and left them on the shore. He did the same with his jacket and followed after Fette.

Edited by ChildeRolande

Rae looked over the small dragon and flew up to land on spikes head who sighed softly. He had been glad to find the small dragon but he seemed so depressed. Spike turned into a big gold dragon and flew high into the air looking over the town slowly "you guys see any houses or buildings for sale that you wouldn't mind living in?" Rae shook her head as she muttered about the height though slime didn't lower his altitude any.

Raven stirred slightly, awoken by a racket outside. She yawned, rising to her paws.

Rain was lurking in her cave, consuming an old box of donuts. Have I really stooped this low?

(oh jeez, the first thing I thought of when Rain said have I really stooped this low, was oh how the Rain has fallen. I'm so sorry xd.png)

Z, now standing, stood on Spike's back and peeked over the edge. "Too high to tell what's for sale and what's not. Go a bit lower. Hopefully no one will freak out because a huge golden dragon is descending into town." He squinted from the wind blowing in his eyes. He kept his wings pressed at his side and his body low. If he fell there would probably not be much he could do to stop himself from colliding with the below ground.

Spike slowly lowered himself,Rae was holding on to his scales and he knew he would have to be quick if one of them fell so he was careful not to tip. When he lowered down there was a few big buildings for sale as well as small houses. One of the houses seemed nice but was really small then there was a nice big building on the edge of town but it would need a little work and love put into it. "See any you like?"

Elfte smiled and pointed behind her without looking, "If you go down this street, take a left and go into the third shop on the right, you will arrive at a Coffee Shop that everyone in town loves to death", she said, rambling off information she had stored on her internal map, "I can take you if you like. It's kinda my hobby around here anyway".

Sideway watched as the wolf he ran into turned and tan away. He was lucky it didn't see him or something interesting might have happened. Now he was watching a golden dragon fly overhead. This time with a little less amazement and fear. Everything in this town seemed busy with his/her/it's own business.

((That's just perfect. xd.png ))

Raven stood in her hind legs and peered outside. The racket had seemed to stop.

((I don't have a lot of time right now. So sorry for the short post. >.< ))

Z studied the below houses for sale. They didn't need anything extremely big. He frowned, realizing something problematic. "Do we have any money to actually buy a place...?"

Zali looked past Elfte, down the street. She focused on her again as she offered to show her the way. "That'd be great. Thanks!" Her stomach growled again and she placed a hand over it, as if that would silence it.

Spike nodded "i have been saving up money from odd jobs for a house ever since i left the old greenfield.i have more than enough all you gotta do is help me pick a house that looks comfy enough for a good place to stay as i have a past of picking death traps to sleep in." He let out a soft chuckle as he continued to search.

Z scanned the houses another minute before pointing a claw at a nice seeming house. It wasn't too big or too small. "How about that one?" He glanced between Spike and Rae, stopping pointing after he thought they both had seen where he pointed.

Spike had saw where Z pointed and landed near the house. He shifted back to his human form with them both on his shoulders. Rae was giggling excitedly about finally having a house and she joked around "now you'll have no excuse to not take a shower there will always be a waterfall thingy for you to use."