Descripforce

Description Force!

My standard response for that is: "Explanations/Translations of the name are not a description -H"

With a reject.

My standard response for that is: "Explanations/Translations of the name are not a description -H"

With a reject.

Thanks Herk! This helps me a lot.

Ah, no, that's what happened before. I very clearly remember approving descrips for the alcohol lineage. Then another mod asked, a discussion happened, and I swear conclusion - from bossman himself - was no alcohol. Then it came up again months/years later in descrip guidelines. Another mod asked and I couldn't find the old convo and nobody remembers same as /me, not even bossman. That's why I am confused again.

Tl;dr i am confused, don't listen to /me. This is why I don't want anything to do with descrip modding anymore. Just listen to what herk and Lagie said. I am not to be trusted. I'll just get out of the thread where I belong. >.e

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

I remember taht taht issue got you confused <3

We are just more cock-sure because we are ignorant of those whole background discussions wink.gif

*sends love flowers AND chiocolate Socky's way*

Ah, no, that's what happened before. I very clearly remember approving descrips for the alcohol lineage. Then another mod asked, a discussion happened, and I swear conclusion - from bossman himself - was no alcohol. Then it came up again months/years later in descrip guidelines. Another mod asked and I couldn't find the old convo and nobody remembers same as /me, not even bossman. That's why I am confused again.

Tl;dr i am confused, don't listen to /me. This is why I don't want anything to do with descrip modding anymore. Just listen to what herk and Lagie said. I am not to be trusted. I'll just get out of the thread where I belong. >.e

*offers a hug to Sock* Perhaps this should be something brought up to boss man and added to the description guidelines just to make things easier for everyone?

Thanks Sock - and sorry about that, wasn't trying to be a bother. We really do appreciate you helping us. <3

As far as the description goes, better to err on the side of caution. I'll tone it down before putting it in the queue, just in case.

Edited by Stormphoenix42

FWIW Sativex's desc was officially approved this evening again. I think until and unless TJ says otherwise, the wisest course is to be discreet but not prudish. The site's officially PG-13 as I recall, which is generally considered to include depictions of or reference to the use alcohol, tobacco, and perhaps certain of the lesser illegals, but not the use or reference to stronger/harder drugs or the abuse of any substance, except arguably humorous or subtle depictions of overdrinking or habitually drunk characters. Heavily disguised or very subtle references to other drugs might fly especially if most kids won't know what you're doing and will take the desc at face value.

In short, I'd avoid, say, dragon crack pipes, but dragons who blow soporific smoke or have a drink of Merlot on occasion should be okay, just based on my own experience with what gets approved and what doesn't.

Once I had an idea of describing a dragon that loves beer, but then I was pointed out that alcohol reference might not be OK (actually I was too lazy to write dry.gif )

I think a brief mention of beer/alcohol is okay and I thought we do have example but I can't remember it is whose dragon.

Free to good home!

user posted image

Spiral PB 4th Gen Swallow egg. All descendents have descriptions!

-gone!-

Edited by xeyla

I think a brief mention of beer/alcohol is okay and I thought we do have example but I can't remember it is whose dragon.

I wanted to describe a dragon who loves beer and even dreams of opening a beer store and making beer himself, so... anyway. (Turns back to my white dragon description)

Thanks Dimar! Got two of my 'plant' dragons done. Awaiting for moderation. <3

I'm planning to do more (when I'm free).

Was busy all these days and finally got a little time to look at my submitted descriptions. I got this:

Abstain: The period needs to go inside the quotes.

For this guy:

Siberian Pepper is well-known for his weird name and sticks himself with Siberian Pepper everywhere. When he was only a young child, he found a wild Siberian Pepper accidentally and soon fell on it. He likes to hide himself behind the clusters of Siberian Pepper due to their similar colour. His motto is "Don't ask why I can shoot flames; I eat Siberian Pepper".

Not sure about the problem, where it is and what should I do?

P.S. I use BrE.

The comment means that the quote is a complete sentence and therefore the period is a part of the quote and belongs inside quotation marks.

It's a bit tricky with quotations and punctuations though, as a whole quoted sentence does not necessarily end the sentence in which it is embeded and I feel weird if I continue with a lower case letter after a

."
, so I usually leave out the period from the quote, cutting it off early so to speak (as you did) to only put punctuation where it belongs in the "parent" sentence. I'm absolutely not sure if that's the 100% correct approach, but I would have used your way, too.

That period does indeed need to go inside the quotation marks!

(That was me, that comment. tongue.gif )

That period does indeed need to go inside the quotation marks!

(That was me, that comment. tongue.gif )

/me bows before Lagie's superior grammarararess.

Is it okay to reject because the description writer got something unrelated to DC wrong?

Sometimes, she will dig the earth to find charcoal; a variety of coal made of fossil of dead plants; often indirectly helping people find the excess charcoal, but this act always leaves big holes in the ground, much to the traders' and adventurers' chagrin.

That is not how you get charcoal.

I bet that's a non-native speaker who doesn't know the different words for (black) coal versus charcoal.

I'd explain the difference in the comments along the lines of "the word you mean is "coal" or "mineral coal", charcoal is something different wink.gif" and abstain.

If someone claims something obviously wrong on the level of denying reality I sometimes reject.

I'm reviewing a few descriptions right now. Signing my comments, where I make them, as AJ.

It's nice coming across one previously rejected/abstained on and seeing that your advice has been taken and changes have been made.

Edited by Ansela Jonla

A small question; I apologise if this has been answered before but I poked around really quickly and couldn't seem to find any answers.

So, in one of my dragon descriptions, I have the word fuelling in a sentence. I use the British form of English, so fuelling is the correct spelling from what I'm used to. Should I change it to fueling (which still looks wrong to me, oops) or is it okay to keep it as it is? A reviewer mentioned it and I had to do a google search to realise that the spelling was different for countries, my bad.

gahh this is one thing I hate about being Canadian we have this strange mix of American English and British English

Oh, and if I read any descriptions and decide to leave comments, I usually sign as Lady or LL. ^^

Edited by Lady_Lunevis

I've been accepting both British and American English, as long as the words are spelt right in at least one variation of the language.

This thread is now my favorite thing of all time, oh my goodness. As a writer, I love reviewing descriptions. I just recently started actually signing mine - I sign them as "Az". I'd love to be considered a part of the force, if possible. smile.gif

I usually put my reviews in a sort of modified list form, each complaint separated by a comma. Chances are if your review says "Consider modifying (insert reason here)", I'm the one who wrote it.

I tend to accept things with 0-2 errors, so long as the errors are small and can be easily fixed or overlooked. I always point out in the comments what that error was.

I only abstain when there's not too much structurally wrong with the description but it lacks any actual substance. For example, if a description has good spelling and grammar overall but it doesn't actually provide any information about the dragon, I abstain.

I reject if there are 3 or more errors, the description is only 1 sentence long (I mean seriously, that's not really a description at that point), or the description goes against the guidelines.

Hi guys and welcome.

We're always glad to see new faces.

Regarding the above: Both BE and AE are fine and have always been treated as such, not everyone who leaves comments is aware of that though (or always knows the alternmate spelling) and even my lovely Dimar sometimes points out a "z" where I use an "s" when it's demanded by BE smile.gif

One sentence descriptions - as much as I personally don't like them, TJ has stated that they are fine IF they describe the dragon, so "This dragon is mated to xxx." is a Reject whereas "This dragoness is a grupmy old bird and can't stand hatchlings and their noisy, messy ways." would be an Accept smile.gif