Fortune86

CLOSE PLEASE

Mia was looking at the ground as her master spoke making sure she wouldn’t interfere any further when a part of her face was grabbed. Mia tried not to flinch at the sudden pressure on her chin nor did she want to upset Elrhim on making sudden movements so she just stood still. Her eyes didn’t meet the fae woman’s eyes knowing it would be disrespectful to look at a princess of the their kind.

“Afternoon milady.” Mia spoke softly trying her best not to show fear.

((I don't know if thats the right spelling or the right words she spoke.))

"And so polite" said Eia in the same sweet tones. "You raise your pets well Elrihm."

She released Mia and took a step back, looking over at the tall fair haired Fae.

"But still, don't you think buying her a dress of such quality is a little much? You wouldn't want her to get ideas above her station. She's only a kitchen drudge after all."

"There is no need to fear on that account my lady" said Elrihm calmly. "Mia is well aware of her position, but as she is a representative of my house I must take care with her presentation. I can not take her before the court in anything less than my position would allow. To do so would be a terrible insult to our royal hosts."

Eia smiled and took Elrihm's arm.

"Well if you are so concerned about appearances then why not let me take a place at your side? I'm sure I would make a much better display."

"Of your beauty I have no doubt" said Elrihm. "But I fear I would be lost amongst your entourage" he added with a glance at the two men in leather. "So therefore it would be wisest stand alone, with only my own possessions."

He gently took his arm back, gave Eia a deep bow and turned to leave. Mia's dress would be delivered the next day once it was complete.

"Come Mia" he said stepping out onto the street.

Mia kept staring down making sure not to make eye contact. It was starting to get very awkward when the fae princess let go of her chin. Mia sighed with relief and took a step back herself, she didn’t want to get involved any further. The feeling on her chin felt slightly funny from the pressure and Mia was sure it must have left a red mark as well. Great now I look stupid too. Wait why am I worried about what I look like? she thought to herself. Suddenly Mia was snapped out of her thoughts when she heard her name being called.

“Farewell Milady.” Mia spoke giving a small bow before she followed Elrhim out of the shop. Her master seemed to be still in a hurry and quickly picked up the pace to keep up with him. While they walked she wondered if she would asked him about something she had been wondering the whole time they were there in the shop. Mia was curious now and she didn’t know why but she wanted to know.

“Um. Master. May I ask you a question?” she spoke loud enough for him to hear.

Elrihm made a non-committal gesture with his hand, indicating that Mia could ask whatever she liked, but she might not get an answer.

He stopped walking when a small caravan passed in front of him and looked around. A little way down the streey a slaver's cart was parked outside the one of the finer merchant's establishments, which reminded Elrihm that he would probably need to buy a gift for the new princess. Whenever a child of the royal couple returned to the realm it was expected of the higher echelons to present her with something. Maybe a piece of jewellery or some other small token?

Mia bit her lip a little still building up the courage to actually ask what she wanted to ask. Her master’s mind seem to be else were and she wondered if she would even get a straigt answer from him.

“Well the lady princess said I’m a pretty little thing. I was just wondering... um... if... um.” Mia struggled a bit but she knew she had to ask quickly Elrhim might punish her for taking so long. “I was wondering if in the human world I would be considered pretty as well?”

"Hmm?"

Elrihm turned round to look at Mia. Whatever he thought she was going to ask, it wasn't that.

"I suppose you might be. Humans have very strange tastes. They seem to have an unusally strong fondness for cats for example."

He disliked cats. Even when he was a child in the human realm he couldn't stand them. The damn things hissed and spat and scratched. Not being as easily fooled as humans the blasted creatures knew him exactly for what he was, even when he didn't. Why humans kept them he didn't know.

(Perhaps Shaun and Oravil are going to run into Mia and Elrihm? What does Elrihm know of Beldams kids?)

"My hair?" Shaun asked, somewhat frightened. He casually ran his hand through it, he had to admit it was fairly uneven but none of his previous owners had cared until it had grown too long to be a suitable selling height.

"I suppose I can get it cut... I guess" He said so rather reluctantly. Turning he watched as Oravil nimbly leapt over the stairs and down onto the first floor. Shaun was unimpressed, Oravil obviously realised that he was inferior to Shaun's size and strength and was trying to make up for his lack by showing how acrobatic he was. Shaun didn't really care.

He turned and placed his hand and Firebrands head, "Save a little of that oil for when I get back, I want to watch the flames dance... just don't ruin my new clothes as well as the old ones.

Shaun turned swiftly and made his way down the stairs, he placed his hands on his coat and briskly pulled at it, much like he'd seen the higher status fae do.

"You may be nimble Orange (new nickname) but I feel that as the eldest I should appear the most respectable," Shaun calmly stepped out through the front door, raising his hand in goodbye to Firebrand and Beldam. He didn't have to worry about getting into town, he'd been alive long enough to know his way around, all he needed Oravil for was to point out the clothes shops Beldam would approve of... and a barber.

"So little brother, while we walk how about a little good ol' fashioned family bonding" Shauns said, enthusiastically wrapping his arm around Oravils neck, though some might see it as more of a semi-headlock.

Mia glanced at the ground when Elrhim replied. Humans have strange tastes she thought to herself. Is she becoming strange? Her reactions lately wasn't the normal yes sir or yes ma'am. She had been blushing left and right her heart was racing at some points and not to mention how shy she had became when around men, fae and human alike. Her mind then drifted to the princess fae and then Mia be came nervous.

"Master Elrhim should I be afraid of Princess Eia. I mean not the normal afraid like I have for you but a different kind afraid?" Mia asked hoping he undrstood what she meant and not get a beating for it.

Edited by DragonSpirit009

((He knows about Oravil and Firebrand and that Beldam has an unusal level of affection for them. I guess he also 'knows' that Oravil a snotty little twerp and that Firebrand likes...well..starting fires.))

Elrihm looked back at the merchant's store.

"As long as you maintain your current level of service you should have nothing to fear. Remain useful and you will remain in my household. I doubt the lady Eia would consider trying to buy you at your current worth."

Stepping forward he began to move towards the merchant's store, ignoring the cart parked outside. Might as well take a look while he was nearby.

"650 gold pieces!" demanded Volesh, his hand currently wrapped around a silver chalice that the merchant owned.

"650... for a mere slave boy?" replied the bewildered merchant, eyeing the silver chalice closely, If it received one scratch or dent, its value would diminish greatly and the way Volesh was currently swinging it around did not help ease his worries. "I could get a slave boy for a 10th of that... if not less!" the merchant scowled, "... what could possibly make this slave boy worth anything near 650 gold pieces?!"

"Ah... but you see.. this boy here is rather unique" he replied rather slyly, placing the silver chalice on the edge of the desk, causing a bead of sweat to roll down the merchants face. Had he not been of a lower status, he would have rushed over to correct the cause of his distress, but as he was not he chose not to disrespect the superior Fae.

"Unique?.." replied the Merchant, an eyebrow raised. "How so?" curiosity getting the better of him.

Rather then replying, Volesh clicked his fingers and smiled. Outside, the two slaves not chained to the cart began to move around to the back, proceeding to lift the cage, unload it and carry it into the tent.

The sudden movement caused the tarp that covered the cage to move slightly, partially revealing Ezra and his red eye to the outside world, before being re-positioned properly by the slaves. With the greatest of ease, the two slaves brought the cage inside, placing it between the two Fae, before bowing and exiting.

"650 you said?" responded the Fae, a hand rubbing his chin as he kneeled down and examined Ezra and his oddly colored eyes. Whilst still unsure about the price, the merchant was definitely interested, the potential to profit was there.

Edited by TotallyDrow

As Elrihm drew closer to the store some of the human slaves waiting by the cart seemed to hear some kind of signal. They lifted something covered with a tarp off the back and proceeded to carry it inside. Elrihm spied through a slight gap that the cage contained a young human boy. He didn't think this was the kind of establishment that normally traded in slaves. Perhaps the merchant was after someone to help him run the shop floor.

When he was able to enter the store Elrihm saw the merchant and the slave owner examining the caged boy while discussing gold. It seemed the child had an unusal coloured eye, although Elrihm would never pay such a high price for something so useless. He preferred slaves who could work hard enough to earn their keep.

Turning his back on the other Fae he walked over to the glass cabinets at the side of the room to inspect the wares inside.

((Could Mia go and be interested in Ezra?))

Mia nodded at Elrhim’s answer but it didn’t cause give her much peace within her heart. She had been doing quite well since she started with this fae but for some reason she felt rather threatened. Her fae master quickly set off to do what he needed to do leaving Mia to wait outside the shop. She kept a good eye on her master noticing his eyes darting of somewhere else. Turning around she wondered what the fae was looking at and all she could see was the slave trader at the moment trying to sell the current human.

Without thinking she stepped closer to listen what the man has to say but his selling method was weak. Selling a slave for such a high price just because of his eye is just silly even Mia knew that.

“So your saying just because he has a different color in his one eye makes him unique? I don’t think that a really good reason for such a high price for someone like that.” Mia spoke before she could stop herself. “Unless there is something about that eye of his which has some unique skill then maybe but otherwise he isn’t even worth 50 pieces of silver or even maybe less.”

Volesh's brow furrowed as a feminine voice broke the conversation between the two Fae, the words spoken, not entirely pleasing to the ears of Volesh who was in the process of trying to secure as much as possible for Ezra. The last thing Volesh had expected to see as he turned around was a human. Had it been another Fae that interrupted the negotiations, then the expression of shock on his face would not have been present.

Volesh stepped towards the girl, his expression contorting to one of anger. A mere human had the audacity to speak out of line; to interrupt a conversation she had no part in; much less a conversation between two Fae's. No matter how you looked at it, it was disrespectful and insulting and Volesh was not gonna take this quietly. He walked towards the girl, his superior height, easily dwarfing her.

"You filthy pest!...How dare you interrupt our conversation!" his voice slowly raising. "I would have assumed that a mere human slave such as yourself would have been wise enough to know your place... your kind are only here to serve... not to voice your opinions on matters that have nothing to do with you... much less matters of importance between beings that are vastly superior in all aspects to your kind... Know your place.. girl, It'd be wise to keep that vermin mouth of yours shut, before it gets you into more trouble" spat Volesh, glaring at Mia. He had failed to notice Elhrims presence in the tent, so enraged that he was. "Who owns you?!" he inquired, "... a demonstration in how to properly tame you seems in order!"

Ezra meanwhile looked out from the cage, any hint of an emotion on his face non existent as he stared on lifelessly at the scene before him, unpeturbed by Volesh's anger towards the other slave. Unlike Volesh though, he had noticed Elhrim enter and for a second watched the Fae as he moved around the store; but just as quickly lost interest in him.

The merchant on the other hand had ceased this opportunity to grasp the silver chalice that stood precariously on the edge of the oaken counter.

Mia gave a little step back as the fae approached him knowing that she had gotten herself in trouble. Her face clearly displayed fear but for some reason she still stood her ground, sort of.

“I only spoke due to you were taking advantage of the sir merchant here. To sell a boy for that price is ridiculous just because of his eye. “Mia spoke softly as she averted her eyes from the angry fae. When the fae asked who her master is she wondered if she should tell him or not. She doubt her master would be please on what she had done and who knew he might be watching her right about now.

“My master is the huntsman dragon slayer Elrhim.” She spoke still not looking at the fae.

The outburst from Mia caught Elrihm's attention. Looking up he saw the reflection of Mia and the two Fae in the glass before him. He was about to turn and berate her for her nosiness, but the slave trader beat him to it.

The slaver launched a tirade against the much smaller human girl. While Mia had spoken out of turn, the slaver also had no place to insult her, although he did at least follow the proper procedure of inquiring who her master was.

As it seemed the slaver and merchant had failed to notice Elrihm's presence, the huntsman stayed in his corner while Mia told them his name. He wondered what the slaver would do with this information.

"Hunts...man.... Dragon Slayer..." repeated Volesh, speaking the words slowly as his brain caught up with him as he slowly processed what the slave had said. It wasn't everyday he came across a slave claiming to be the possession of a Fae holding such an extravagant title. As several seconds whizzed by, his bravado soon diminished and the intimidating glare he was portraying changed. An expression of shock exploded across his face as he took a step back realizing who exactly she had claimed to be her owner. This revelation had hit Volesh like a tonne of bricks, causing him to lose any ground he once had in this argument.

"Elhrim?!" he gasped, "The fae favored by the king?!?!" he took another step back and averted his gaze. Likewise the merchant owner had dropped the chalice he so desperately tried to protect mere seconds ago.

As Volesh averted his gaze, his eyes fell upon the lower half of another standing in the room. He was hesitant to look up, already having suspicions of who those legs belonged to, yet to ignore him any further would prove to be more damaging than the mess he had dug himself into. Hesitantly, he looked up; his suspicions confirmed.

"Forgive me Lord Elhrim, I hadn't the slightest knowledge that this fair haired maiden was one of yours.." he spoke, his hands outstretched in a courteous gesture and his head lowered to show that he was of inferior status.

Elrihm was rather dissapointed. While he did enjoy some protection from the King, he would have preferred that his own reputaion as a huntsmaster would be enough to merit some respect. After all, he was currently the only Fae in Avalon capable of hunting dragons. However, he could still use the slaver's lower position and unease to his advantage.

"You insulted my servant" he said out loud picking up a decorated blade from it's case. "An insult to her is an insult to me, and if I am insulted, the King is insulted. This is a serious matter indeed, wouldn't you agree?"

So far he had not looked directly at the slaver or the merchant behind him, putting all of his focus on the knife in his hands. It was made of bronze and inlaid with emeralds. It was no real weapon, more for show than anything else, but it still had a sharp edge. It could easily cut through flesh.

"O..of...Of course.." stuttered Volesh, shrinking even further back. "I.. I... I meant no disrespect towards you... Lord Elhrim" A bead of sweat rolled down Voleshs brow and fell to the floor.

Daring to look up, his eyes fell upon the bronze blade in Elhrims hand; his face visible upon its sharpened edge and reflecting his nervous expression. Volesh gulped.

Edited by TotallyDrow

((I think you mean 'Volesh gulped' xd.png))

Elrihm held the blade up to the light, the emeralds sending little spots of green dancing around the shop front. While Elrihm much preferred more practical weapons, even he had to admit the bronze knife was a thing of beauty. It would be a shame to mar such craftmanship.

"Happily" said Elrihm in his usual calm tones. "I think I can see a way of amendment. The King intends to hold ball tomorrow. If I was to present him and his fair Queen with a representation of our good will it would please us most greatly. If I was to recieve such a token of reparation I would be quite willing to forgive and forget the whole matter. "

Now Elrihm turned around to face the room. He looked down at the shrinking slaver and then over at the cage he and the merchant had been haggling over.

"The boy. He would make a fine compensation for this slight."

As Elhrim began to speak about ways to make amendments, Volesh couldn't help but smile softly, laughing inwardly at his own luck and good fortune. He knew that he had dug himself into a deep pit by insulting and disrespecting one of the Fae's favored by the king and in turn the King, an act that would warrant severe punishment. But right here... right now.. there was talk about repairing the situation.

Unassuming, Volesh pondered about what it was that could appease Elhrim, whether it be some form of trinket or weapon... the blade perhaps. His thoughts however were soon answered, when Elhrim stopped and looked at the cage.

"The... The boy...?!" gasped Volesh, looking down at Ezra then back up at Elhrim. "Are... Are you sure..?" he inquired, not really willing to let go of what he viewed as a valuable possession. "The boy... he is too small.. too frail..." began Volesh, hoping to turn Elhrims attention away from Ezra. "... he... he doesn't even talk... "

"All the better" said Elrihm. "While not worth the price you had hoped to achieve, his eye is an interesting curiousity. I'm sure it will entertain the ladies of the court, for an hour or two. He will make for an engaging party piece, and decorations should not talk."

Elrihm walked over to the cage and lightly tapped the bronze blade on the bars pointedly.

"Unless of course, you wish to make another form of reparation? Something to ensure perhaps, that a situation such as this does no occur again? Tongues can be such bothersome things at times..."

Ezra merely watched as the Fae's conversed between themselves. The change in Volesh had somewhat surprised him, having only witnessed the Fae present in situations where he held the more power. To see him cower before another was a whole new experience.

As the other Fae, whose name he gathered was Elhrim approached and tapped his cage with the blade.

Volesh gulped once again as the threat before stepping away from the cage defeated.

((G2g work))

When the slaver stepped back Elrihm knew he had won. The boy was his. Barely turning to face him Elrihm lightly threw the knife towards the merchant who caught it with a fumble.

"My compliments to your craftsman sir, that blade is a masterpiece. I imagine it will fetch you a fair price should I mention it at the court."

Turning his attention back to the cage Elrihm gripped the door and with barely an effort made pulled it clean off its hinges. Strength had many uses. Dropping the door to the floor he reached inside and grabbed the boy by the elbow, pulling him out and standing him on his feet. He was quite small and Elrihm doubted he had much strength, but he would serve his purpose. With a new servant in his possession there wasn't much point in remaining in the store much longer.

"Goo day sirs" he said to the two other Fae. "I bid you farewell. May our next meeting be much less dramatic."

Still holding the boy's elbow Elrihm left the store, motioning to Mia to follow.

Mia stood in silence as she watched her master move around. She was really afraid of what might happen due to she knew what she had done was something wrong. Listening to their conversation she expression slightly changed when Elrhim took the boy. Clearly she didn’t really understand what was happening but all she knew the confrontation was over and Elrhim motioned to follow him. She gave a quick bow to the slaver and the merchant before she followed her master.