Fortune86

CLOSE PLEASE

Iris

Iris dropped several sacks of coins into the merchant's hand. "Thank you," she said just to be polite. There wasn't anything to actually thank the slave owner for.

She turned her gaze to her new slave, Robin. The slave looked frightened, which was understandable but still annoying. Iris wasn't going to hurt her, so it would be nice if the slave would stop acting like she would. Oh, well. You couldn't expect much from humans, and maybe Robin would acting frightened once she realized that Iris didn't intend to hurt her.

"Follow me," she said to Robin as she began leading her through the market and up to the surface where her house lay. Once they got there, Iris could heal Robin's bruises (the scars would have to fade on their own) and hear more of her beautiful voice.

Robin looked back ahead, waiting to be commanded to do something. When her new master, Iris, told her to move, she did. Her muscles were stiff and protesting from the lack of use. But, she was determined to follow after Iris.

Her gray eyes were staring ahead, making sure that she didn't stumble. Robin's heart was still beating from fear, but slowly, the fear disappeared. Her master hadn't beaten her yet, or shoved her. Maybe Iris was a nicer fae.

Shaeeath wove through the crowds, stopping at various sellers. She was on the hunt for a new slave. One of her best ones were caught up in her... Ice spells. Actually, she needed two more slaves.

She paused by a group of slaves that stared at her fearfully. Shaeeath walked to the owner, he bore a large grin across his face. "Hello," he greeted. She bore no response.

"Who is your cheapest slave?" She demanded quickly. The seller's face dropped. "Ma'am, I-" he was cut of with a glare.

"Then I shall see another one," she spoke. The fae shook his head. "No, no, this s my cheapest," he said, walking over to a small boy. "Two hundred pieces."

"Skills?"

"None."

"Good. I shall pay twenty for him," Shaeeath stated.

"No, he is worth at least two hundred."

"He has no skills and is just a boy. Twenty."

The man sighed. "Fifty then," he said with a shake of his head.

"No, twenty." The man sighed again. "Fine," he muttered, bringing the boy forward with a shove. Shaeeath smoothly placed a stack of coins in his hand before taking the boy to her side.

Iris

They wound up through the market, through the roads of Avalon, and finally reached Iris's house. The garden was a colorful mess, full of different plants, and many sweet smells filled the air.

"Ah, here we are," Iris said brightly. "Where's Lawrence? Lawrence! Ah, there he is." Lawrence poked his head up from a flower bed where he had been pulling out weeds. "Yes, that's Lawrence. Lawrence, this is Robin." Lawrence waved and went back to work.

Once the introductions were out of the way, Iris skipped towards the centre of the garden where her house was. "Here's the house. I think that there's an empty room somewhere... Oh! I almost forgot. Can't leave you with bruises all over, can we?" Iris gently lifted up one of Robin's arms and shone a soft yellow light onto the arm. Slowly, the bruises started to fade. That was much better. Iris didn't want one of her slaves to be covered in ugly bruises, and if she helped Robin she could become more trusting of Iris sooner.

Robin stiffled as they reached the house. When Lawrence waved at her, she gave a half nod and half bow. Lawrence must of been another human, or slave, or maybe he was a fae. She quickly ran to catch up to Iris.

"An empty room? Thank you, Master," she murmured gently. She was shocked when Iris began to heal her.

Robin's arms were back to being clean and devoid of any signs of injuries. Except for the scars, she was better. "Thank you," she added. She began to trust Iris. However she was always bracing for a slap, a hit or a kick.

"Let the show begin" exclaimed Volesh, turning around rather enthusiastically and strutting out of the room. He entered a large open space, devoid of any light but with the soft murmurings of whispers. Without warning a large orange light from above lit up, illuminating the large open space and revealing a large crowd of Fae, sat all around the large arena. The crowd roared with vigor as the show they desperately waited for was finally beginning, the sound deafening Ezra, who was being led away. Stopping at a small opening, Dargramir undid the ropes that bound Ezra's hands together and stared into the boys eyes. "Make yourself useful, brat" spoke Dargramir, his foul breath not even drawing a hint of disgust from Ezra, who remained perfectly still. "Underneath each seat is a small gap.. large enough for you to fit your filthy human hands through..." Ezra already knew what was going on... why else would Dargramir have undone his bindings. With Ezra briefed on what Dargramir expected him to do, he clambered through the opening, until he was directly below the unsuspecting Fae audience. Through the gap, he looked towards the center of the stage, just as Volesh raised a finger to his lips, hushing the enthusiastic Audience until it was deathly silent. He watched as Volesh made his way towards the two cages of humans, before turning to address the audience.

"Did you know that many years ago... these filthy humans took pleasure in watching their own kind fight to the death" spoke Volesh, tapping his wooden cane along the cage bars, each bar resonating with a twang that sent shivers down the captive's spines. Volesh turned to face the audience of Fae's that had gathered at his mock coliseum. "Human's..." he spoke with a clear hint of hatred in his voice, "... erected stadiums across their own lands and gathered in large numbers to cheer and celebrate as they watched their own kind fight to the death in front of them. Sometimes watching as they fought each other until only one man remained... or forced to fight fearsome beasts whose savagery and displeasure for human trash rivals those of our very own Briar hounds..." the audience became fidgety with excitement as they listened attentively to Volesh's story. "...They would roar to the heavens!.." he shouted, "... as blood met sand and bodies no longer held the warmth of life..." The volume in which Volesh was speaking with was gradually softening, "...and they would end their festivities with wine..." his voice once again rose in volume"... and drunken celebration!" screamed Volesh as he incited his audience into a large applause. Volesh allowed the audience to cheer for half a minute, before silencing them once again.

"Tonight, ladies and gentlemen... I present to you, one of humanity's most celebrated games... an event so heralded in the ancient past that even humans of todays day and age still know its name...", Two of Volesh's slaves entered the arena, pulling a small wooden cart that contained a variety of what looked to be weapons but were in reality mere toys that would prove ineffective. Wooden swords... bows and arrows with rubbery ends and pellet guns... relics that Volesh had bought from Fae merchants that had stolen them from the mortal plane. With the cart now placed in between the two cages, the slaves began to unlock the cages that held the captives, before turning and exiting the arena. The captives, who had already been informed about what was going to happen, scrambled towards the cart, each selecting a 'weapon' that would soon prove to be useless.

"I present to you!.. GLADIATORS!!" an even louder roar erupted as the Fae got to their feet cheering. "Dargramir.. Do us the pleasure of releasing the hounds and beginning the show!"

Dargramir nodded and pushed open the gates that held the hounds back. Almost instantly, the 6 hounds rushed out, drawing screams from several of the Gladiators. As all this took place, Ezra was below the arena seats, by his feet were several pouches of gold coins that he had already pinched from unsuspecting Fae's.

((Gone to work. If there is anything wrong with this post, I'll only be able to amend it in 15 hours time when I get back))

Edited by TotallyDrow

“I can’t stay to long. I have no idea where my master is or when he will return but if that something pretty can be shown quickly then I might take up that offer.” Mia spoke stepping a little closer giving a little smile. She noticed Shaun being very silent at the moment which caused her a bit to worry. She knew that Beldam’s “children” were special and her master had warned her about them. She just didn’t want to be too rude in case they complain and she gets in trouble and a beating.

((Sorry, had good ol' fashioned writers block))

Shaun shook himself, he realised he'd been lost in his own thoughts for sometime now, and had barely said anything to Mia. In truth he'd been wondering just what type of person she was, she was a cook apparently. He wondered whether her master treated her right, he hoped they did, she seemed nice, if a little shy.

He grinned down at Firebrand and leaned forward and whispered to Mia, "She just wants to make sure Oravil doesn't get close to us, Beldam takes an unnatural pleasure in her children hurting others". He leaned back and smiled at her.

"Ooooh, something pretty, is it a little bow? I'd simply love a dress," He exclaimed in a loud sarcastic manner. "Anything would be better than these rags," He said, more calmly, indicating the torn shirt.

((Wohoo! Finally!))

Firebrand hesitated. Mia leaving would accomplish getting her away before Oravil noticed someone was here to torture quite neatly. And she could help Shaun pick clothes and rooms. On the other hand now that the thought had occured to her she really wanted to show of her discovery. Plus Mia had given her permission. Sort of.

"The clothes can wait a few minutes." she told Shaun. "If Mia is on time we need to hurry. Catch me if you can!" she said, racing away without waiting to see if the two followed her.

Her goal was a little meadow. Firebrand pulled six dried seeds out of her pocket. She did not know their names, maybe they were only native to faerieland.

She threw five of them into the air. The seeds floated leisurely in the gentle breeze.

Then, before one of the other two could stop her, she lightened a match on a stone, set the sixth on fire and threw it into the air too.

The fire seed started rotating and sprewing sparks wildly, like a firewheel. In no time the sparks had set the other five alight too and they started racing around like maddened shooting stars.

Firebrand laughed, her face alight with joy. In the back of her head there was a voice warning her that this was pretty dangerous but she ignored it. She looked at the other two to see if they were as delighted by the sight as she was.

((If you want something else to catch fire for a bit added action, feel free))

Edited by Laura-Lana

“Oh yes of course I remember now.” Mia whispered back at Shaun. She had completely forgotten her first encounter with Oravil. She couldn’t really remember what happened but there was a really loud bang sound which caused her to go deaf for a week. Her master wasn’t really happy about it at that time thus he kept her in the kitchen most of the time until she could hear again.

Mia was surprised to see Firebrand suddenly take off and leaving her with Shaun. She looked at the guy she had been standing next to before she took off after Firebrand herself. When she came to a halt she heard crackling sounds. Looking up in the sky she saw six fiery objects twirling in the air, leaving beautiful patterns as they went. Mia stared in amazement remembering that in the human plane there was something almost similar.

“You are truly a great fire lord or in your case a fire lady Firebrand.” Mia spoke smiling as she stepped closer towards the girl. “This must really look amazing when it’s dark.”

((Anyone seen Nazgod?))

Elrihm made it to the apothecary without any further distractions, his new servant trailing along behind him. Stepping into the shop it was mere moments before one of the attendants approached him and asked if he needed help. Elrihm gave them a list of the herbs he needed and than stood and waited while his order was gathered.

There were a few other customers in the shop, Fae and humans. The humans looked down as Elrihm's eyes moved over him, but a few of the Fae girls giggled or smiled. Elrihm had been told he was handsome, even for a Fae, but whether that was true or just attempts to get into his good graces he neither knew or cared. Out in the Ash it didn't matter how pretty you were, you were still just as dead if your weren't careful.

When the attendant returned with his order Elrihm paid the woman and turned to leave. Locating the girl he had just bought he grabbed her arm and teleported back into the main hall of his house.

Tess stood from her pile of hay, quite pleased with her efficiency. That hadn't taken long at all. Hands om her hips, she wandered back to the supply room for the unicorn and took out a bucket. She filled it by the tap before walking back outside. She went to the trough and quietly poured it in. The unicorn was not far away from her. Singing was not a chore for Tess.Song came from within her, and sometimes she couldn't help but give in. Perhaps he would enjoy her words.

"When the last eagle flies over the last crumbling mountain,

And the last lion roars at the last dusty fountain,

In the shadow of the forest though she may be old and worn,

They will stare unbelieving at the last unicorn."

She sang out quietly to him as she poured. He was so pure, compared to her. So untamed and free and wild. She was enslaved and scarred and defeated. But it could be worse than tending to this beautiful creature. Did he, too, wish to be back where he belonged? Did unicorns feel like humans and Fae did?

Vrael walked along the market wall, his form hidden from view from those lacking enhanced senses of detection. Occasionally he would prop down to one of the unsuspecting humans, caged and put on display as their owner tried to pawn them off to some Fae silly enough to pay the asking price.

The human's many expressions intrigued Vrael. Their eyes staring through him and looking at whatever it was that happened to be directly behind at the time. Sometimes they would look on in fear.... sometimes in pure joy... and sometimes.. their eyes would be cold... devoid of any emotion... the flickering flame of life behind their eyes long extinguished.

It was normally the older ones that looked broken... the realization that their life would never improve beyond that of a meager slave; long sunk into their psyche. It was when he found these slaves that Vrael always managed to draw a new sense of excitement from... showering them with illusions of a better life, a life where humans as a race were the top of the food chain and were not forced into a life of servitude... and then reminding them all too painfully that such a life is forever beyond their reach and reminding them off their place at the bottom. A cold laugh was all the human would hear as they broke into tears.

Edited by TotallyDrow

(( Does anyone think there is a point about waiting for a Shaun post? I'd love to have his reaction and see if M P is more inclined to use this opportunity to let something catch fire, but I am afraid I might have caused M P another case of writing block.))

Beldam spread her wings and glided upwards again back toward her room. She move her wings only when it was necessary to change direction. She did not really need her wings for flying, though they made navigation much easier. It was an intrinsic part of her magic and worked even if her wings were broken and theoretically unable to work. For that matter she could fly if she had taken on the body of someone without wings.

(Gah sorry, I've just been really tired lately and I haven't been capable of bringing myself to post, never fear there is no writing block here!)

Shaun stared in amazement at the spinning flames. They seemed to travel in a random direction but the bright orange trail fading through the air behind them, made their erratic movements strangely beautiful. His eyes followed one as it spun around through the air, the burning seed spun towards him and he unconsciously reached out for it. Shaun froze as he realised what was hurtling towards him. The burning seed shot up his sleeve and came to rest. Shaun gasped in horror, he had never been able to wash this shirt... and he had lost his previous job spilling a large amount of cooking oil on said shirt.

The sleeve caught fire.

Shaun watched in horror as the fire quickly spread, he couldn't feel it. The adrenaline was doing a good job at masking the pain. Shaun grabbed the shirt and forced it off himself, discarding the burning mass onto the ground. He looked down at his arm, the burn wasn't too severe but he knew that he'd need to put some ice on it. Shaun steadied his breathing, suddenly it was quite cold without the shirt.

"Simply a lovely site to behold Firebrand... but where can I get some ice?" He asked with mock humour.

(Perhaps Mia and Firebrand can react to seeing just how many scars and bruises are on Shaun, or just admire the mighty muscular physique!!!)

Mia was still looking up at the fiery seeds when a strange sound caught her attention. Looking over her shoulder she was terrified to see what was happening. Shaun’s arm was on fire and was struggling to get off his shirt. Mia quickly raced towards him to help but he luckily got his shirt off in time before it could spread.

“Shaun are you alright?” Mia spoke as she stomped the fire out of the shirt. She didn’t want the rest of the area to catch fire in fear she might get punished for it. At that moment Mia looked up at Shaun once the shirt was extinguished but her gaze quickly returned to the ground. This is awkward she thought to herself. Seeing a half naked scared body of a man really made her nervous mostly because she never really have encountered another human like this. The fae’s she could handle because they were their masters but seeing a human half naked caused her to blush and turn shy.

Tess finished pouring her water, and perched on ths edge of the bucket. She watched him, his ears flicking toward her as she sang. Maybe he liked her voice. Maybe it was soothing to his ear, as it was to Fae's.

"When the first breath of winter through the flowers is icing

And you look to the north and a pale moon is rising,"

she sang to him, enjoying herself. It was unusual, for her to enjoy herself. It tended to happen when she was outside, near him. A smile tilted up her moving lips when he lifted his head and stared at her. But her melody was interrupted.

"Tess!" hollered a rough female voice. Her expression dropped and even the unicorn spooked and galloped away a couple of metres. Muriel was going to make her do something now. Standing up, she reluctantly traipsed back to the storeroom with her bucket. Dhe put it on the side as the superior woman spoke. Apparently, she was to purchase some more feed for the unicorn - a mix to make his coat gleam even brighter. Well. At least it was for him.

She took the money - "I want exact change!" - and started her walk to the market. The pet food supplier always kept a special stock for the Queen's unicorn. After all, it was for the Queen.

((Are there any other characters freely wandering about the market?))

((I just had Elrihm teleported home. Sorry Chico.

I'm going to be doing a tidy up soon, getting rid of people who had signed up but not posted for two weeks. This will probably take place tomorrow or Monday as I won't be around Friday.))

“You are truly a great fire lord or in your case a fire lady Firebrand.” Mia spoke smiling as she stepped closer towards the girl. “This must really look amazing when it’s dark.”

Firebrand beamed at her, happy Mia understood.

A sudden 'whosh' sound directed Firebrand's attention toward Shaun. His shirt was burning. Mia raced toward him, trying to help. Firebrand stood there, staring at them. A part of her mind insisted that she should help Mia and Shaun, but another part was simply hypnotized by the flames.

"Simply a lovely site to behold Firebrand... but where can I get some ice?" Shaun asked with mock humour after Mia had stomped the fire out.

Firebrand blushed as fiercely as Mia if not for the same reasons. While she couldn't fail to notice that he had the most powerful physique she had ever seen it was more an absentminded aknowledgement. Her attention was too focused on all the scars and bruises. She couldn't even imagine what he must have gone through and instead of helping him she had caused him another one.

"There is a brook nearby." She said in a small voice, feeling guilty. "No ice, but cold water should do for the moment. Come with me. I'll show you where."

She dropped her eyes not daring to look into his face and wondered if he hated her now.

Edited by Laura-Lana

((I just had Elrihm teleported home. Sorry Chico.

I'm going to be doing a tidy up soon, getting rid of people who had signed up but not posted for two weeks. This will probably take place tomorrow or Monday as I won't be around Friday.))

((I'm not Missing. Just been unable to post. Due to people not being bothered to show up for work... I've been covering a lot again. Did half day saturday, full day (9-5) sunday, full day Monday/tuesday/tomorrow 9-7 and full day today 8 to 7. With the london tube strikes... I'm pretty much out the house at 7 and back after 9.45))

((Sorry about the wait.))

Iris

A few minutes later Robin was no longer covered in ugly bruises. That was much better. Who could possibly like looking at an injured slave? The scars were still there, and didn't look pretty, but the bruises had stuck out the most.

"No problem. Healing bruises and scratches is simple enough." Iris fluttered up to one of the buildings in the fruit trees and peered into a window to see if it was the room she was looked for. "I found the room! Just climb up that ladder." The room was small and only had a chest, a bed, and a nightstand for furniture. It had its own trapdoor and ladder, but there was also a door that led to the other rooms in the building.

Iris pulled the window open and swung herself inside (the ladders and bridges were really just for the benefit of her slaves and guests). "Here we are! There are clean clothes in the chest that should fit you. If not, I can find ones that will. Any questions?"

Robin remained silent, only moving when she was trying to reach her room. As she did so, she was out of breath slightly.

"Th-Thank you, Master," she bowed slightly. "Just one question.... I never got your name master. What do you want to call me?" She spoke gingerly, almost wincing when she finished.

Robin allowed her eyes to look around the room. It wasn't the best to others, but it seemed like a palace to her. She waited patiently for an answer and for new orders. Robin couldn't just stand around, doing nothing. That was not slaves would do. She longed to move her hands and feet, to do jobs, although a deep pit in her stomach weighted down. She was still scared if shew as going to get beaten.

Edited by Tiga

(haha the mighty manliness of Shaun... is similar to this consider him a cousin. And sorry the spelling nazi in me can't stop myself; Dragonspirit in your post you said"halfnaked scared body", it should be scarred)

Shaun reached down and picked up the remains of his shirt, without it he hadn't realised how cold the wind was. He sighed as he looked at the tattered rags, now blackened from the fire. This shirt may not have held much sentimental value, it was a shirt. But it had been one of the few 'possessions' he could call his own. He hoped that Bedlam would be able to get him something more decent... maybe with buttons, gold ones, or silver! Shaun slapped his forehead, what was he thinking, no one would waste so much money on him. Pulling his hand away he noted the missing finger on his hand, recalling the painful time when he had lost it. He had found a ring while cleaning. When his master found it, he said those same words upon hearing Shaun's proclamation that he was given the ring. Shaun lost both the ring and his finger, and his master made sure to take as long as possible before allowing Shaun to cover and clean the wound. This resulted in Shaun getting serious gangrene in what remained of his finger, and as punishment he was sold. Thankfully the salesman knew that no one would buy a slave with a gangrenous finger and had it healed... with the remaining stump amputated.

Shaun realised that he'd been starring at his hand for some time, dropping his arm to his side he looked at Mia and Firebrand. He was confused at first, both girls appeared to be casting their eyes away from him. Shaun scratched his head, confused. He looked down at himself, was it because he had his shirt off? Surely not, several male fae chose not to wear shirts, and these two had probably seen plenty around the markets.

Could it be the injuries, Shaun considered. That would be more reasonable, but it wouldn't explain the blushing on Mia's part. Maybe she was just a little hot from the fire, that seemed reasonable.

"You don't have to worry about the Scars, if that's what's bothering you, they healed a long time ago. None of them inhibit what I can do, or the bruises... they simply give me colour," Shaun said.

"And Firebrand, how about next time the meat we cook isn't human," Shaun said, with an honest smile on his face. He was worried that the girl would feel guilty over burning him. Shaun winced as the adrenaline began to leave, and he begun to feel the painful sting.

"Alright let's get to that brook," He said, through clenched teeth.

(Lead the away Laura)

Edited by Marcus Pheonix

((I figured he was ripped with all the stone mansion work, but that's pushing it! xd.png))

Firebrand looked up surprised. Back when she lived in the streets and one of the other kids got injured because she hadn't been careful playing with fire only being yelled at was the best she could have expected. Firebrand hadn't even blamed the others. Her own parents had thrown her out of the house for ruining the kitchen after all and they hadn't even been hurt. But Shaun didn't even sound angry.

She noticed that she stared at him serachingly instead of moving and her blush returned as she saw Shaun wince with pain.

"It's not far." she promised. "If you listen carefully you can hear it already."

It was a good thing the brook was there, because she had gotten herself burned a time or two. The little brook was the reason she had done her experiments here to begin with.

Quickly she lead the little trio toward the forest and from there to a tiny brook that was no more than 2 feet broad and not very deep either but held blessedly cool water.

"Put it in the water. I'll run home and get some salve and bandages for you." She gave his bare chest a look. "And a new shirt. Mia, if you have some time left could you keep him company until I return?"

((Are there any other characters freely wandering about the market?))

((You can run into a traumatized Eric if you like, but then again you can run into him in the palace too, if you prefer. That's why I picked a victim who worked in the palace. Of course I don't know if you want your charrie involved into his problem. She could get in trouble *evil grin* ))

Edited by Laura-Lana