ValidEmotions

The Academy OOC

If you like puzzles and good humor, it's a game for you. It makes you feel awesome at every point you're playing it, and its characters are completely unforgettable. Even the one that never talks and the one that's dead.

M.P explained Cave Johnson, but Colress is from Pokemon. Colress was this wildcard who was working for the evil team, but it was only so he could pursue his own scientific goals to make Pokemon reach their 'full potential'. He was this mysterious, cool scientist dude whose most famous line is a very, very well spoken "I disagree!" Something tells me the Narvix has never played Black and White. Now that I think about it though, Cave Johnson would be a much cooler science teacher. Knowing him, he'd probably flip over the desks of students who get wrong answers on the first day...

This part of the RP is mostly exposition. We're meeting the teachers, we're seeing how the days tend to flow, we're picking our eggs... the real fun will definitely show in the interactions of students once they're set loose, and Narvix and I will notch up the pressures of outside forces as students begin to explore the land outside of the walls of the school.

Since nights will be mostly just people going to bed, we'll be skipping the night time a lot unless someone PM's one of us beforehand they want to use the night for something. Like a dream or maybe it's stormy out and everyone gets together for ghost stories.

But once we meet the staff in the auditorium, choose our rooms and have some time to wrap up, we'll be timeskipping to the next morning, the first day of school.

I actually have Pokémon Black. I haven't gotten very far in it yet. I just don't have much time for video games since entering college but, I picked my DS back up and continued playing Emerald for the majority of two days until my grandpa came to town for a weekend visit. He headed back home earlier tonight so I plan to continue playing Black tomorrow at some point.

Also, I do think some students will be partaking in a few late night shenanigans later in the thread x3 It's honestly inevitable and adds to the fun. So, whatever you guys come up with for any kind of story/plot action/ideas, don't be shy about PMing one of us for discussion smile.gif

i loved portal! i never go the chance to play, but the story is great. I would love to see someone make a Cave Johnson character. But im not very good at creating strong words for a charachter such as that, but im still thinking up a teacher to make, i'll probably end up making an anime cliche though.

When creating a teacher, remember that leading will be a strong point and they will be the most seasoned members of the Academy, and also its leaders when students are in-class. They all just got out of a hellish war and are bound to have taken lots of hard experience with them. This is an important position, and please think about it before you follow through. That said, I don't want to discourage people who have great ideas for teachers or those who want to challenge themselves. Just please give it thought before hand.

Edited by Luckyclaw

maybe when i say teacher cliche i should mention, not a general cilche, but someone from an anime that was really good.

That's not a cliche, then. It's just playing as a character from an anime. A cliche is something used over and over again to the point where it's so common everyone knows it and uses it. I look forward to seeing what you're thinking happy.gif

Aye Lucky, I am on my phone now and at a friends but I still think the two headed teacher sounds fun. P.M. me the details of what you were thinking and we can see what we work out. I will post in the morning as soon as I have access to my laptop. As for time frame of the rp, I was thinking pre-industrial revolution type time period. No cars, cells, guns, or other miscellaneous items like that, but maybe the essentials like an old style train and gas stove/cookware, and plumbing. But that was just my idea.

i thought this was a bit older if it had dragons and we still hadn't found all the world. also with magic and such, the rate of development for technology would be slow.

Not necessarily, many works of fantasy use magic as a means to technology. It's used to power all the doo-dads as opposed to electricity. I feel that the Snow Wights would be rather low in technology, as they have been secluded from the other races and their advancements.

The geographical region could contribute the the rate of advancement that races have achieved. I'm thinking all the high-tech nations will be as Dain described, and lots of appliances can be mechanically powered or magically powered depending on the nation using it. Some races can't use magic very well or even at all so they would be forced to make machines.

At the same time, maybe magic can make some places complacent. Think about the invention of the microwave: Because a man was standing around technology, he learned that the machines he was standing around had a side effect that melted the chocolate in his pocket. So he made another machine solely dedicated to the side effect of the technology he'd been around. Remove the technology from the situation, and the idea to create the microwave is gone in two different ways. Why build a microwave if you can heat up your hot pocket in your hand? Plus, there was no original idea to build such a device because the technology the device was based off may have never existed.

In the end, I think the progress of technology is really in the eye of the race. As long as there's no guns, cellphones or advanced cars. Maybe one nation has built an early train system and because this world is so large, other nations haven't figured it out yet. Maybe another nation doesn't even know how to use oil lamps, and they never learn because they live high up on some mountain or something.

I actually think that what Lucky just described is a great idea. It gives depth to the world and variety between the races. At the same time though, one has to remember that this world isn't Earth. So where a human being from our world may be at blank technological advancement, the world that we are roleplaying in would be different.

What Lucky and M.P. make a point of is rather true. Have any of you read the book Havemercy? They have prominent magic and bewitched, mechanical dragons but they don't have TVs or any real mode of transportation except horse carriages and maybe trains. So, I think it might be best if we just went with whatever suited our specific race(s) based on lifestyles and skills. I know the humans would have simple technology while the Uccello may be just as advanced due to magic and the ability of flight being uncommon amongst their kind.

Beastlings are a fairly advanced, if very small race. They only had about 20,000 members of the species at the start when they were created by the calamity, these members being the survivors of the battle at which said magic occurred. While they do live in concert with nature, they are almost all very magically talented which lends itself to them using magitech. Also, as they were forced together, both sides brought their knowledge to the table in terms of advancing their sprouting civilization.

Icari pretty much rely on magic for everything, so they're really not going to be good at even using a stove or something basic like that. So Cassie will have fun learning how to use the gadgets xd.png The most complex thing she's probably used is a telescope or some kind of instrument. I should probably write a better description for them some time as well smile.gif

Beastlings remind me a lot of the Beastmen from Dark Dawn. They were animals and humans who got changed into half-animal people by this big magical accident called the Golden Sun. I was sure you'd drawn inspiration from that series.

Nihoun is one of those races who's advanced in the cities and banging rocks together in the rural areas. Tatsuke lived in the outskirts of a city, so he was able to pretty much jump between civilization, semi-vilization and wilderness in less than an hour. It must have been really cool for him to grow up in such a setting.

Azazels, on the other hand, there was an embargo placed on them which left their technology in the dark ages. The most advanced piece of equipment the average town has are oil lamps, and even those are expensive. They have the iron and coal, they have the people, they have the space and they're in desperate need of jobs but no one knows how to build anything. Then add that They're 100% incapable of using magic and immune to it and you have a land rocked with poverty.

I would totally be drawing inspiration from Golden Sun if I had ever played it or even read the plot. Most I know is the series name, I prefer Fire Emblem.

Funny you mention Fire Emblem, that's where Tatsuke gets most of his personality from. I used him as my avatar in Awakening while he was still a newborn character and took some of the personality of the Avatar of the game for his persona. The fact that he's mock-Japanese and his original appearance came from Pokemon: Conquest, as well as his love of foxes (Eevee was the starter in that game).

Golden Sun is a turn-based team RPG. I kind of like Fire Emblem more, though. There's more to think about. But GS has a really cool world.

Littleputians don't use magic, but they are able to engineer all sorts of gadgets straight out of davinchi's works.

I read these posts of the little guy using all these whacky gadgets with an Irish accent and I think Leprechaun mixed with the Borrowers mixed with James Bond.

xd.png oh gosh, Lucky! I was thinking of something similar yet completely different! Personally, I think of Tinker Bell (in all of her newer films as she has that explorer and well-to-do personality) with a cross of some other individual. Can't think of whom...

Bah, Tinkerbell. Something about her new personality annoys me. It doesn't feel right if she's not that heinous little mute monster turning all jealous when anyone gets close to Peter Pan xd.png I feel like Disney could have used the Disney princesses to do the same thing, or just used new faeries all together.

Maybe a little bit of Stuart Little or Desperaux? Indiana Jones, maybe?

Really? Wow, that was a total shot in the dark, I didn't even think you'd know who that was was xd.png Book or movie? Because compared to the book the movie was awful.

He's inspired by a loot of those things actually. Little people working as craftsmen is a common folklore Trope.

I know the little guy from both smile.gif My grandma used to read the story to my sister and I when we were young and staying the night at her house just before we went to bed. I thought the movie was okay; it was a handful of years after having the book read to me so I couldn't catch all of the details that differed.

For the folklore, this is true. Anyone know of the story about the Shoemaker and the elves?