shadow_claw

Shoot, Salt, and Sonic

John opened his mouth to reply when a buzzing noise suddenly distracted him, causing him to slap the area by his ear. Oh, there was nothing there. Almost immediately, however, the hissing sound returned, along with an eerily familiar voice.

You missed, Moriarty whispered, having managed to enter the car when the door opened. Of course, his invisibility stayed so John was only able to hear his voice. The effect was fine, however, as John stiffened and looked around in alarm. "Sherlock, did you hear that?" He asked, fear creeping into his voice.

Sherlock yawned, placing a hand over his mouth as he did. "Hm? No, I wasn't attention." He answered sleepily. John looked rather...on edge. What had he heard that had scared him so badly? "It's just your nerves. After all, the creatures The Winchesters deal wirh aren't exactly friendly." He dismissed his friend with yet another yawn.

John didn't look as convinced but settled back down anyway. Only a moment latter, he gave a cry of fright and suddenly kicked out his leg, looking forward frantically. "Sherlock, open the door," he said, a horrible feeling bubbling up inside him. He heard a voice and he definitely felt something grab his legs. He wasn't staying in this car with whatever was tormenting him.

Now concerned, Sherlock opened the door and stepped out of the car. He was kind of unstable on his feet but was doing better than before. "John, are you alright?" It wasn't like Sherlock to worry, but John was starting to concern him. "I didn't see or hear anything. Have you been neglecting to sleep?"

John quickly stepped out of the car, holding his head. He didn't seem to hear Sherlock's question at first but waved a hand at Sherlock after a moment. "Not any more than usual," He replied, deciding not to admit how much sleep he lost over the detective. How often did he sleep? Rarely. How often did he eat? Even more rarely. "I'm just... Just give me a moment."

Okay, Jim purred in his ear, watching John's exterior quickly crumble. This was so adorable! Who knew he would be phased so much just by his voice? He should have done this earlier, it was too much fun. Just tell them what's wrong.

It sounded like John had taken to Sherlock's bad eating and sleeping habits. Sherlock studied John in silence, his eyes narrowing. Had John found his stash of drugs? No, there were no symptoms displayed. Then what was it? "John, what's going on?"

Tell them! Moriarty purred gleefully. John grimaced then took a deep breath and turned around to face Sherlock, standing up straighter as he did so. "No, nothing's wrong," He replied firmly, giving Sherlock a firm look. Moriarty chuckled in his ear as John tried to remain unfazed by him.

"Hey, we got our rooms! You and The Doctor can crash..." Dean stepped outside with the room key, trailing off at the scene outside. He frowned and glanced from John to Sherlock. "Everything alright?"

Sherlock turned his head and gave Dean a firm look. "No, it isn't. I'm afraid John will have to sit out from your little hunt, he's feeling ill." He answered impatiently. He stride forward, effortlessly taking the keys from Dean without even looking. "John, you're taking a break. All of this is getting to your head."

John straightened up a bit more and shook his head. "Sherlock, I am fine," He insisted firmly, not moving from his spot. "I already told you nothing is wrong. You and the Doctor can go wait in the room."

If you tell them what's wrong, they'll think there's something wrong with you. Do you know what the Winchesters do to anomalies? Moriarty watched with glee as John distanced himself from the detective, refusing to tell him what was going on. He was so easy to manipulate. Like a little puppet!

Sherlock turned on his heel to raise an eyebrow at John. Really? He was "just fine"? "Like Hell you are. You keep glancing behind you and tilting your head like someone is talking to you. I can see you shaking from this distance. You saw something and it seemed to have greatly upset you. You're resting or I'm going out as well." he insisted.

Dean remained where he was, both suspicious and puzzled at the same time. What was going on?

John turned and stared at Dean and Sam briefly before sighing loudly. "Sherlock, I'm not going to-," He started to say before Moriarty jumped onto his shoulders. Even with the demon invisible, he still weighed quite a bit and it was enough to throw John off balance and send him crashing to the ground. Quickly, Moriarty stood and backed away, watching to see what Sherlock would do considering his friend had just collapsed.

As expected, Sherlock rushed forward to the aid of his friend. He crouched down beside John, eying the veteran worriedly. "No, you're staying here." He declared. The detective helped John up and began to drag him towards the motel room. John definitely wasn't alright. Any more arguing from his friend Sherlock would ignore.

"Well...I suppose I will accompany you two then." The Doctor decided. He didn't want to get caught up in Sherlock and John's argument and would much rather deal with monsters. The Doctor was a bit of a pacifist and didn't want to get involved in a domestic if he didn't have to.

((How about we've got a city full of weeping angels?))

((Best idea ever.))

John stumbled to his feet, holding his head in shock. Something... something had jumped on him. Was he hallucinating? He stumbled after Sherlock as the detective steered him towards the motel room. He wasn't protesting now. He needed to lay down and figure out what was wrong with him.

Sam watched Sherlock lead John off then turned to Dean. "What do you think is wrong with him?" He asked. "There could actually be something here. But if there is, why is it only affecting John?"

Dean shrugged. "I dunno Sammy. Maybe we should salt the entrances just to be sure." He replied. Monsters could be picky with who they chose to torment. He popped the trunk and pulled out the bag of salt. "Grab the holy water. My hands are full."

Sherlock unlocked the motel room and dragged John inside. He released his friend only when they were both inside. Something was wrong, he just knew it. Everyone else saw it too. The detective flopped down on one of the beds with a heavy sigh and watched as Dean started pouring salt around the motel.

Sam nodded and took out the bottle of holy water before shutting the trunk. "Should I try splashing him? It might be a possession he's trying to fight off."

John stood awkwardly where Sherlock had left him, not moving very much. Moriarty stood behind him, deciding to give John a moment to himself. Was he insane? What was... what was wrong with him? After a moment, he managed to sit down on the bed next to Sherlock's bed and cover his face with his hands. What was wrong with him?!

"No harm in it." Dean decided. He carefully poured a solid line of salt throughout the motel room's doorways and single windowpane until he was sure there was a solid line along the said locations. After that, he tossed a bit of salt in John's direction and then in Sherlock's. "Just making sure. Sam's making his rounds next."

John looked up in confusion but otherwise did not react to the salt. Moriarty frowned slightly as he realized he was boxed in now by salt... but he could always convince John to break the barrier. How easy his mind was to break was adorable. He moved away from John as Sam entered the room and splashed Holy water onto John's face, then Sherlock's. Finally, John looked up and stared at the two. "What are you doing? Why did you just douse us with water and salt?"

Sherlock swatted irritably at Sam as water was splashed in his face, sitting up and wiping it off. His eyes burned into the Winchester brothers from where they stood. Sherlock had socialized enough for the day and was growing irritable with all the interaction. He wanted some peace so he could think and space away from all the idiocy. Anyone who knew Sherlock knew he could easily have a mental breakdown if unable to retreat somewhere to be by himself. The detective was surprisingly vulnerable to such things.

"Salt and holy water are two easy tests. Demons like neither of them and spirits hate salt. Hisses like a burn if either of you were possessed. Which, neither of you are. We salted the doors and widows and such so that if whatever's bothering you is a demon or ghost, they can't leave the room if you do. Just don't break the solid line and you'll be fine." Dean explained. He poured some extra salt on a weak point in the line before stepping over the salt to leave. He turned back towards the two flatmates. "Just chill in here until we get back. You'll be fine."

John stared up at the two of them quietly then lowered his head again. He's be fine? He was fine. It was just... yeah, he was fine.

Ohh... You're so tense. Worried? Moriarty smiled as he patted John's head. You should be. They're plotting against you. They're going to draw the monster here, using you as bait. Monsters love salt.

"What if the salt doesn't work?" John asked, looking up. "What if you two are gone and... something shows up?"

Dean tilted his head slightly in a confused manner. He arched a dark eyebrow at John. "I've never known for salt not to work before. That's why we have a shotgun that fires the stuff. Holy water and salt are just about the only constants in our job. That and iron, cleaning supplies, and a few other stuff." He answered. Dean frowned and thought for a few seconds. "But there's a chance the monster you're after isn't a ghost or demon. We can leave you some other foolproof stuff if that's the case. Be right back." The hunter left the room, returning a few minutes later with a new arsenal. "Cleaning stuff works of Leviathan. They bleed black goo, so that's how you can tell. Shifters hate silver"-He raised the silver knife in his hand-"And I'm leaving a machete in case it ends up being a vampire. Chop their heads off and they're gone for good, just don't let them bleed on you. Did I miss anything Sammy?"

"That's it," Sam replied with a shrug. "But we should go investigate those disappearances before it gets dark. Come on." He gestured for Dean and the Doctor to follow as he left the room. John turned away from the three of them and laid back on the bed, crossing his arms over his stomach. Moriarty watched as he retreated into a corner to observe for a bit. Would Sherlock question John's behavior? This could be quite fun."

Sherlock probably wasn't going to talk to a while. He was exhausted, and was just glad that The Winchesters and The Doctor had finally left. He lowered himself back onto his bed and gingerly touched his head wound. Yup. It still hurt like crazy. Sherlock grimaced and rolled onto his side. Some sleep would do him well.

Unlike Sherlock, John did not sleep. He simply laid on the bed, staring up at the ceiling blankly. To be completely honest, it was quite boring. Moriarty sighed softly but decided to be patient. Something would happen eventually and John needed time to start doubting himself and what was happening.

Quite a bit of time passed before the single window in the room was suddenly smashed by a brick. Startled, John quickly rose and grabbed the knife, staring at the window. But there was nothing out there, just a statue several feet away in the courtyard of the hotel, covering its eyes.

Sherlock awoke with a start at the sound of shattering glass. He rolled from the bed and glanced around in a panicked manner. Sherlock had grown skittish to sudden sounds and actions and it showed. Once he realized they weren't under attack, he peered out through the now broken window. A quick sweep of the area with his eyes gave him...Nothing. Absolutely nothing! There were no footprints, no evidence, nothing! It was infuriating! But...he didn't recall that statue before. Where had it come from?

While Sherlock inspected the window, John slid over to the brick that had smashed the window. He lifted it up and inspected it before returning to the window and staring out as well. There was nothing out there. Just a statue. "Do you see anything?" he asked in case the detective noticed something he had not. Which was quite common.