Shibadruid

Survival of the Youngest

As Noelle walked away with her other friends, Salta couldn't help but feel upset. She had been right; they didn't care, or even notice. I guess that's how things will be for me... I'll be the dragon that nobody notices. But maybe... Maybe if I make a friend, that person will care. I should find someone who doesn't already have a partner... Like that black and green dragon! Or the one that's just plain green! Tentatively, she, walked up to the olive hatchling. "Hello. Can I be your... Friend?"

Madlia nodded, and said, s-sure. I hope that they c-can stop fighting w-while we're gone. Moving towards the forest, Madlia contemplated what they'd have to do. They'd have to find more berry bushes, and hunt other animals for their meat. The thought of hunting, however, made Madlia a bit queasy. She only recovered when she reminded herself that it was only to get food for the other hatchlings, and stop them from fighting. Looking around the forest, she mumbled to Noelle, w-what do you w-want to do f-first?

user posted image

The shriveled hatchling stirred, blinking up at the looming shape. It was no bigger than she was, in reality, but in the moment of her hatching when even her own paw was foreign, the weird moving body was terrifying. Orb-black eyes snapped open, claws scrabbling for purchase on the pebbly ground.

"Ss- sss... ss-st!" the hatchling hissed, hackles raising as she quickly rose to her unsteady feet. Her lip curled once again over her gums, glistening fangs white against the dark rock of the cave. She growled menacingly, telling without words her sheer distaste. The new shape was scary and foreign, and so she must hate it.

She backed up quickly, wobbling on unused legs and feet. Her tail hit a boulder with a bump, and as she fell she squeaked in surprise. Her rump hit the floor, bruising her soft baby flesh. Her eyes squeezed shut from the pain, but when her glittering eyes opened again the shape was still there.

Her spines rose from her skin, another growl rumbling in her chest.

-getawaygetawaygetawaygetaway...!-

Edited by Ayesthine

user posted image

Salta tumbled backwards, flipping over and landing on her belly. This hatchling was scary. Other words such as mean, vicious, and evil flashed in her head, but the one that stuck was "frightening". "I don't want to get eaten! Go away!" The few seconds it took for the other hatchling to growl had scared Salta into forgetting her offer of friendship. At the moment, running away and the offer of survival seemed much better. "You can't hurt me! Or else... Or else my friends will do something really nasty to you!" Salta was stupid enough to forget that she didn't have any friends yet, or maybe she was just smart enough not to mention that. If this doesn't work, then I'll try making friends with one more person... But it'll work! Maybe...

Edited by KoalaNoob

user posted image

The Olive twitched, blinking in surprise.

friends? e-e.. Eaten?

"Wuzss nasti?" she slurred, her tongue seeming leaden in her mouth. "Eatsens?" she trilled. She shaped the words as carefully as she could, trying to imitate the sharp sounds coming from the other shape's mouth. Some strange flicker of understanding crossed her mind, and she determined that this weird, loud, salty-smelling hatchling-shape must be a strange creature called a 'friend'. The olive ignored the 'friend' for now, scanning her surroundings with bright beetle-black eyes. A few more 'friends' stood on the rocks above her, arguing in the same noises that roused her from her egg. A few other 'friends' of varying colors littered the cramped cave, making strange noises and shapes with their multicolored mouths.

The Olive sniffed the air, confused.

Her nose wrinkled, and she sneezed out the sudden rush of scents. She decided she did not like these 'friends', on the grounds that they stank and they were very noisy. The racket they made was sure to scare all the...

The hatchling paused, cocking her head. The word had evaded her mind. She was sure she had heard it at some point, and the noise she heard had rung true with her growling stomach.

foodses?

The Olive nodded, continuing her inner monologue. The noisy-stinky 'friends' were sure to have scared off all the foods, and they would all go hungry. For good. It was no use trying for more foodses, because they were gone.

Her mind made up, the olive dusted herself off. Her spines fitted once more to her back, and her startling grimace faded. It was time, she decided, for business. She would determine her dominance over these 'friends', and then send them out for foodses. It was how things would go, she was sure.

user posted image

Wuzzs? Nasti? Eatsens? What's that? Suddenly, Salta had a feeling that she was doing something wrong; that her speech was messed up. But... No, it can't be, right? The other hatchling spoke the same way. This dragon must be the one having trouble. Wuzzs... Wuss? She's calling me a wuss! In her childish rage, Salta forgot to try and figure out the rest of the message. "I'm not a wuss! You're the wuss! A stupid meanie too!" After getting the yelling urge out of her, she sat and glared at her new enemy, waiting for the reply.

Edited by KoalaNoob

user posted image

Noelle smiled as the Harvest dragon joined them. She nodded, and started walking to nowhere in particular. She couldn't pick up any scents, as her nose was still trying to sort out all the smells around her. Hi, I'm Noelle." She said to the harvest dragon as the four of them walked. "Madila, I think we should go somewhere like....thick undergrowth. I have a feeling that's where things are hiding. It's where I would hide, at least." She said.

user posted image

Tears began streaming down Kummaline's face at this point. The other dragons were yelling, things were popping out of eggs again, and a dark green mass on the floor was hissing and growling. Kumma peered over his ledge, trying to avoid eye contact with the Royal Blue. The appendages began flickering again, most likely due to his nerves.

That thing looks like its in pain! They should go help it!

"Fsjccorrrr mmsjck....".

Kummaline began to lose patience with himself. The fact that he couldn't defend himself, or save that hatchling BECAUSE he couldn't talk made him so angry!

"Hdiehdhdj!"

Kummaline lifted his paw and pointed it at the Olive hatchie. Kummaline had enough of this. He was done being the centre of attention, and there was something wrong with that baby. He took in a deep breath, then screamed at the top of his lungs.

"Geriau!".

That's got to get there attention off me. Based off past observations, whoever yells the loudest appears to have the most control. So, in turn, I have the most control at the moment

Kummaline looked to the bottom left of his ledge and saw a cute orange mass trying to crawl up. It didn't look very yummy, but he didn't know for sure.

Might as well bring it up here, it might want to be my brothers and sisters, like the angry thing was talking about!

Kumma crept down the side of the wall, picked up the hatchie in his mouth, carried it back up, them set it on the ledge.

"Jsjaioskkkk", he greeted.

Edited by LegendOfKorraFan

user posted image

The looked the blue dragon shot Malina made her scared, she backed down a step as the black hatchling was still whimpering. Then the blue dragon said something that made her blood run cold. The very dragon she was defending was a cannibal.

"N-no..." She backed away from the blue dragon, eyes wide with horror, she bumped into the black hatchling- the cannibal and looked at him with big, scared, blue eyes, stuttering the first thing she had begged him when she first spoke to him.

"Please don't eat me." With that, she fled, thumbing outside, alone.

Calearn pointed towards the fleeing Soulpeace, still not calmed. You see what you did? He asked the Greenwing icily, ignoring its feeble attempts to speak. When you ate those eggs, you ate o-one of our s-siblings. It c-could have been your brother. If a-anybody else did it, it could have been you. I-if you even want to s-survive next time I see you, never do it again, okay? Calearn repeated slowly, just to make his point. Never eat another egg or hatchling again, or I will skin you alive. Calearn jumped down from the ledge, and flexed his claws angrily. He needed something to kill, so he went outside to do just that.

Eventually, Calearn managed to catch up to the other dragons he had noticed in the forest, first noticing the Swallowtail and the Canopy. H-hello, he began shakily, as the adrenaline in his system was wearing off, I-I'd l-like to h-hunt with y-you. Calearn fell in alongside them, and matched their pace.

~~~~~

Madlia nodded to Noelle, and, looking back at Sparkly, said, I t-think we should wait for her b-before continuing, Noelle. Then, as soon as she heard the Royal Blue, she turned to it, and gave it a sincere smile, saying, you c-can hunt with us if you w-want! Madlia was happy that more people were going hunting, and that they weren't fighting anymore in the cave.

((OOC: Oh, if only she knew xd.png))

((OOC: Gaaaah! Sorry I haven't been on all day. I'm on holiday so I can only post at the beginning and the end of a day, at least till thursday.))

Tenebris

"Your fight?" Tenebris said in anger. "This is not just your fight! That hatchling the other just ate could have been anyone's sibling! And who are you to decide who gets to do what anyway?"

user posted image

"Th-they're just m-mad be-because one of th-them w-was eating dragon eg-eggs," explained Sparkly Scaler to Refrar as they walked on with Madlia and Noelle. She fell silent, glancing at the blue hatchling with grey paws who had joined them. He had seemed really angry just now. She hoped that he wouldn't be fierce with them. Sparkly thought about hunting. Was she really willing to kill something for their sake? Somehow, the thought of killing something seemed troubling to her. How would she deal with all the blood and gore? She glanced back at the cave, now far away.

"I h-hope th-they've st-stopped fighting..." she muttered, worried.

~~~

user posted image

Rale Rock, about to say something, stopped when he heard a loud commotion in the other part of the cave. He tried to look but eggs were blocking his view. He frowned, concerned. What was going on? He glanced back at the Electric hatchling.

"Stay here," he said, "And try not to hurt yourself even more." With that, he dashed off, dodging eggs, only to see a completely black hatchling arguing with another black hatchling that had green fills, a blue hatchling running out of the cave.

"Wh-what..." Rale's voice trailed off as he noticed the black and green hatchling seemed to be signalling at something but the others didn't pay any attention. Turning his head, he spotted a Black Capped Teimarr yelling at a newly-hatched Olive hatchling. He walked over to them.

"Hey, c-calm down, why are you g-guys fighting?" he said, reaching out to place a paw on the Black Capped Teimarr in an attempt to calm her down.

Edited by Dream_Dragon

user posted image

"O...Oh." Refrar looked at the other strangers they were travelling with, thinking about all the eggs in the cave. "Me too..." Waking steadier now, the young hatchling felt a boundless joy in just having freedom to move. "Lot m-more... room out here," she said with a grin as her stomach gave off a growl. "But how d-do... we find f-food?"

user posted image

Too loud, too loud!

The hatchling curled himself into a ball, bringing his clawed hands close to his chest and his tail swished under his belly. The purple fin on his head flattened to his black scaly skin and he lay there, shivering.

So loud, why loud. Cold, loud. No bright, bright all gone. Why? No like out. No want out anymore, never want out ever. Want warm, quiet. No cold or loud.

It took a few minutes for the hatchling to finally get calm, his thoughts finally settling. Taking a few steady breaths, he slowly opened his eyes, blinking at the blurriness of what was around him.

What is? No bright, no ow. Light, color. Others?

Sufficiently calmed down and now curious, he continued to lay on the ground, cheek pressed against the hard ground. He stared with wide eyes at the commotion that was happening around him.

So much. Loud, colors, others.

Uncurling slightly, the hatchling moved his head to look around. A flickering green light caught his attention and he stared at the hatchling that was creating it with the appendages on its head. It was on a ledge surrounded by a few other hatchlings.

Different light. Pretty light. Why have pretty light? Others have pretty light?

Wiggling around and pressing his front legs underneath him so that he was half off of the ground, he observed as the other hatchlings opened and closed their mouths over and over. Copying them, he let his jaw go limp and then snapped it shut, making a clicking sound in the process. His mouth movement was not making the same noises as the other hatchlings, however, confusing him greatly.

I open close, open close. No loud. They open close, open close. Make loud, have attention. Why not me?

He pushed himself all the way up and his legs started to tremble from holding his weight. Looking back over to the other hatchlings and the one with the green light, he screwed up his face with a determined expression and started to figure out how to move. His body felt awkward and heavy, and his legs kept jerking in the opposite direction than where he wanted to go, but he very slowly started to stumble to the other hatchlings.

Want loud. I want loud. Want attention, like pretty light other. I open close, open close, and get loud. Like others. Want be like others.

user posted image

A squeal of joy emitted from the Pumpkin's mouth as she was lifted into the air. She didn't struggle as she was plopped onto the edge. The hatchling sniffed the ledge curious and looked down at the hatchlings below.

"Jsjaioskkkk"

The Pumpkin looked up at the glowing light as it spoke. She chirped in reply and pawed at him, claws sheathed. The furious roaring from a nearby hatchling made the Pumpkin squeak in terror. She, not looking to see what had made the noise, clambered up on top of the glowing hatchling and let out a wail of discomfort. She gripped his back, not harshly, and dug her claws just deep enough to hold onto the hatchling should he move. The Pumpkin squeezed her eyes tightly shut in fear that the yelling hatchling might hurt her.

Is it going to eat me? I don't want to get eaten! Why must everything be so scary?

user posted image

The Electric watched as the Guardian left him. His tail thumped the ground as he gave an indolent snort. Being cautious, the hatchling crept up behind his boulder and peered around it. He nearly gasped as he saw the chaos unfolding around him. Hatchlings were screaming at one another, people were leaving the cave, and it seemed someone was glowing on top of a ledge. A whimper escaped the Electric as he retreated back behind his boulder. His eyes flickered to the outside world. It seemed like his only escape from this horror. Treading carefully, the Electric began his slow march outside of the cave, hoping, praying, that no one would spot him or the small sparks starting to bounce off his body.

Edited by Doctortear

user posted image

The Olive hatchling glowered, interrupted in her self-assured stupor by this silly little 'friend'.She wasn't sure what the noises coming out of the hatchling's mouth were, but she was sure they were not very kind. If someone didn't shut their mouth soon, she would shut it for them. Her spines bristled, jutting sharply up from her back. She crouched low to the ground, rumbling deep in her throat. She snarled with renewed menace, fully intending to uphold her honor.

She readied herself for a spring, wiggling her haunches to and fro. She stepped forward, a screech in her throat, claws raised-

"Acgh!" she squeaked, the scream twisted in her surprise. Her eyes widened with momentary bewilderment; a Guardian hatchling appeared in front of the Teimarr, stopping the furious blue hatchling. The formidable shield on his tail blocked the Olive's view. She stamped a paw in frustration, robbed of her vengeance. She would fight this one, too, she decided. She stepped forward again, ready to attack-

A shrill scream from the ledge above her shattered her fragile concentration.

Geriau?

"Gerrirau?" she murmured, confused. She sat down heavily on her rump. Her eyes glazed over, and she sucked a paw absentmindedly.

-geriaugeriaugeriaugeriaugerr..gerriau..geriaugeriau-

user posted image

Malina kept on running, she was scared. She didn't like this, the blue hatchling had cold scary eyes and was mean to her, the black hatchling was a cannibal and probably would have ate her if she gave him the chance. Only the gray and blue one had shown Malina any kindness but she seemed to have a lot of mood swings that scared Malina, she didn't know which one the gray and blue hatchling really was. These hatchlings were scary and mean and frankly, she didn't want anything to do with them.

Her paws stopped as a green lines tickles her soft scales, just hatched and not yet hardened. The lines smelled good, growing bigger and bigger as she fled farer and farer away from the cave, she felt a weird feeling in her stomach and it made a weird running noise. Wait- that wasn't her stomach! It came from outside, tentatively Malina slowly approached the source of the sound, she was met by a blue, deep, and furiously running river. The occasional spray hit her lightly, delighting her. Suddenly her throat felt dry, she didn't realize she had been this thirsty until she could see the water, almost feel and taste it.

A rustling noise quickly made her head snap up however, and she was face to face with an orange giant. A 'fox' her mind slowly told her. The fox was lured by the smell of recently hatched lizard like animals, small and defenseless and quite easy pickings, Malina's mind had neglected to register that however. She approached the fox and mindlessly rolled over on her stomach. A sign of peace and trust since the stomach was the weakest spot on many animals, Malina was just a hatchling and she wanted the familiar feeling of comfort and safety.

However nature didn't agree, her instincts told her that a bit to late as the fox lunged for her, teeth grazing her belly and drawing the slightest bit of blood as she stumbled away and feel into the river. She was quickly washed away by the strong currents, water filled her noise and got into her eyes. She knew then if she didn't get out now, she would really die. No one was there to save her as she tumbled through the river. It suffocated her, the currents toying with her as if she were a small ship caught in the huge stormy ocean. If she was scared before, she was terrified now.

user posted image

"She called me a wuss!" Salta complained to the new dragon. Actually, she quite liked this one. He was quite nice, and not at all mean. Unlike SOME people... I'm gonna do something nasty to this bad-smelling dragon! I hate her! Her angry childish thoughts were interrupted by her "enemy" who sat down and appeared to forget everything just by hearing a shrill scream. Babyhead loser...she can't even stay focused long enough to say anything!

Jumping up and stomping on the same spot several times, Salta found herself forgetting why she was mad as well. What had even happened? In her newborn state of mind, concentrating was a challenge, and she wasn't quite up to it. Instead, she allowed her stomach to rumble again. "I'm huuuuungyyyy. Do you wanna find some food?" Salta wasn't talking to anyone in particular. Just to anyone nearby who might aid her quest to satisfy her hunger.

Edited by KoalaNoob

user posted image

Kummaline couldn't help but chuckle at the Pumpkins squeal. But wen the hatchling dug its claws into his skin, he was anything but pleased. Kumma winced in pain for a moment, the a sigh of relief followed soon after. Kumma flicked his tail up and gently poked the baby on his back, attempting to comfort it in any way.

I wonder what the fuss is about.

"Oopxnealkkww?" he inquired.

Kummaline gave up on the fact he couldn't talk yet. He was quite surprised that everyone else could talk so well already.

Kumma's stomach began to growl, and his arms began to feel weak. The Spotted Greenwing crept forward a few steps, flopped onto his side (being careful not to squish the Pumpkin hatchling) and sighed.

I don't like this feeling brothers and sisters. I don't feel good.

user posted image

"I...I'm n-not sure my-myself..." admitted Sparkly Scaler, looking around. Greenery stretched all around them, seemingly endless, but the food - like berries, for instance - was scarce. Sparkly looked at Madlia in front of them, hoping that maybe she or Noelle had an idea of what they were doing.

~~~

user posted image

Rale Rock looked from one hatchling to another as both of them suddenly seemed to cool off and forget their anger. He tilted his head, confused, and sighed, his paw smacking gently onto his forehead. He glanced at the Black Capped Teimarr as it whined about being hungry.

"S-sure," he shrugged, his own stomach rumbling at the mention of food. "Anything to get away from all these arguing hatchlings." He walked over to the cave entrance and looked back to see if she was following.

user posted image

The Pumpkin let out a squeal as the glowing hatchling rolled onto his side. For a moment, she thought he was trying to slam her under his weight, but when she realized he was be careful to not hurt her, she calmed down. The hatchling kicked her hind legs and crawled up the glowing hatchling. She squeaked and let herself roll off of the hatchling's back and land a few inches from his face. Wiggling her rump, she leaped up onto the glowing hatchling's head and batted at his muzzle. A purr rumbled in her throat as she batted playfully at the glowing hatchling.

user posted image

Tahbaki turned to Refrar, smiling. "Simple..." He replied slowly. He seemed to be catching up on words more quicker and they were becoming easier to grasp as he said them. "I... have a plan." He said. "We go into... the.... forest. Smell fooood. Find it.. bring back." He said, cramming his "plan" together in a few short sentences. He moved outside, careful not to step on any eggs.

Edited by Kitkat10

Calearn turned back to look at the Horse hatchling and the Harvest, and muttered, f-follow me. I c-can find u-us a-animals to h-hunt. T-the other t-two c-can g-go somewhere else. T-that way i-if one g-group doesn't f-find much t-the other g-group w-will still b-be okay. It was difficult for him to think up such a complex plan, but it made sense in his mind and he hoped that it made sense to the others too. In anticipation, he began looking for a good place to start hunting.

~~~~~

Madlia smiled at the Royal Blue's plan, but then looked to Noelle, slightly worried, and said, a-are you okay with that Noelle? I-if you are t-then I am too. H-his idea makes s-sense. Madlia stopped her trek into the forest for a moment, and sat down to take a break. Her limbs were not yet strong enough to carry her for a sustained period of time.

user posted image

Refrar tilted her head, the plan seemed too simple. Something seemed to be missing. "Doesn't s-sound bad," she quipped in reply. She just hoped that it wouldn't be too difficult. "How...do w-we hunt?"