Shibadruid

Survival of the Youngest

Tenebris

Tenebris tilted his head in a quizzical manner at the other hatchling once again. It really was frightened. But he had told it that he meant it no harm.

"I shall not hurt you." Tenebris stated, advancing slowly towards the dragon, making sure to make no sudden movements. "I too, have only just hatched. I pose no threat to you."

user posted image

The hatchling, too full of terror to think straight, did not calm down. His young confused mind could not comprehend the Black's intentions. A single driving instinct to run away screamed in the hatchling's mind.

"Stay back!" he yowled as the other hatchling came closer. The electricity bouncing off of his body lashed out in every direction; threatening to harm anything that got too close. The hatchling drove his back into the wall, causing the rough edge to scrap against his skin.

"Don't come any closer!" the hatchling shouted as he closer his eyes tightly and trusted his head backward.

Madlia watched, confused, as the hatchling broke out of its egg and went over to a Swallowtail. Looking around, she was starting to be overcome by the amount of chaos happening in the cave. The Electric had run off and seemed to be scared half to death by .. something that Madlia couldn't quite see. A Balloon hatchling was scared because it was floating and a Harvest was trying to help it. The Horse dragon was still with the Guardian. She sighed. She wanted to help all of them, but she couldn't, and her stomach was still hurting. Eventually, a thought came into her mind. I need to find fooood. Madlia didn't know what the word meant, or how long it was supposed to be, but she ignored that for the moment. Instead, she began walking towards the forest quickly, her gait causing her to fall down at least twice on the way there. Eventually, she got to the forest's edge and began looking around. About fifteen feet to her right she caught sight of a bush, stripped clean of berries except for a handful at the very top. Struggling, Madlia attempted to climb up the bush, but it was in vain. Her limbs weren't strong enough to even keep herself on the trunk, let alone propel her upwards. She was going to need help. Going back towards the cave, she called out, N-need h-help to get foood. Edited by Shibadruid

user posted image

The pink hatchling finally managed to catch his breath. He reached out with both front arms, grabbing the Harvest dragon below him, but the only thing that he had accomplished so far was to slowly drag the yellow hatchling into the air with him. 'What is going on!? I never asked for this!'

Out of the corner of his eye, he could see a green hatchling asking for help to get "foood" What was foood? What did it look like? Thinking of this strange new object, he lost all of his fear and he slowly began to deflate and float to the ground like an empty balloon.

Tenebris

"I told you, I shall not..." Vorthal began, still advancing.

However, he was interrupted when one of the sparks from the hatchling stung him on the nose.

"Ow!" He exclaimed. "What was that for?"

user posted image

"I told you to stay back!" the terrified hatchling screamed. He opened a single eye and stared at the green orbs. He didn't care that he couldn't control the electricity sparking from his body. He could care less about the jagged edges of the cave wall behind him scraping his back. He had even forgotten about the blood still rolling down his head. None of that mattered to him. He just wanted the green orbs to back off and give him some space. As long as it stopped advancing at him, he would be fine. At least, that is what he hoped.

Tenebris

"Why?" Tenebris said, sitting down and stopping his advance. "I have not harmed you at all. And why would I even desire to?"

This hatchling was really starting to annoy him. Why couldn't it just accept the fact that he was not against him? Was it really that thick headed?

user posted image

The hatchling, with both of his eyes open, watched the green orbs until they stopped advancing. Once he had made sure the orbs were staying in place, the hatchling finally sat down and tried to configure his thoughts. His terror slightly subsided, the hatchling tried to reply to the orbs.

"I do not know you," he began. "Therefore, how can I trust you? How do I know you aren't playing me? I just entered this new.... place... and everything is hurting me. What makes you think that just saying you won't hurt me will make you any different? You won't even show me what you look like. You're hiding in the shadows. I have no reason to believe you." Although the hatchling's words were clear, his voice quaked in fear. He had no idea why anything was happening. His grasp on language was becoming clearer as the terror lifted from his mind. However, the terror left a collection of hideous thoughts as it dispersed.

How can I trust this person? How do I know they won't hurt me? The answer is simple, I can't. I should stay away from him. I should stay away from everyone. They'll hurt me. I don't want to get hurt. I should keep my distance.

user posted image

Noelle watched as a little teal and yellow dragon came up to her. She wasn't sure what to do, exactly. She looked around and saw numerous other hatchlings in the place she had hatched in. She looked back at the one that had wandered over to her.

"He..llo.." She said slowly, feeling the word roll off her tongue. She felt she needed something... she breathed in again. Nope not that. Something else...

The young Teimarr didn't notice that Noelle was talking to her. She just noticed how indescribably warm the other hatchling was. Heat was the only thing Salta could process. So she made the best of it. Using a clumsy leap to barrel into the Swallowtail, she landed right next to her and crumpled into a sleeping position. So...Warm... She snuggled deeper into the baby-blue membrane, feeling heat seep into her body. This must be the...missing...thing... It's my favourite...

Her name shall be Malina

How do you know she will be a 'she?'

I just... Do...

Well if she turns out to be a he, then we name him Corey

Okay

This one is definitely a boy

Yup

user posted image

Simple chatter like that, they had existed ever since 'Malina' was aware of her existence. At first, she didn't know what they were, to her they were just random sounds, yet they were comforting and she looked forward to them. As time slowly passed, she realized the sounds had a 'meaning.' She learned that she was small, her 'siblings' were called 'brothers' and that they were 'bigger' then her, that the endless void of black was called darkness, and while they were the only thing so far in Malina's existence, darkness only fell at 'night.' Everyday she looked forward to the sounds the 'voices,' one was warm, gentle, sweet... Feminine. It told Malina stories, explaining great things, telling her that a world existed out of the darkness, that great things awaited her. Sometimes a masculine voice would chime in with the feminine one, they would tell her about the bright orb of light in the 'day,' called the 'sun,' in the nighttime, 'stars' tiny sparkles of light, twinkled next to the 'moon,' a night version of the sun, it glowed, and took many different shapes. They told her about 'foods,' a necessity to live, yet, it was enjoyable, 'delicious' if they were lucky. There were so many 'foods,' yet the voices that called themselves 'mother' and 'father,' only ate a certain type, plants. They didn't believe in the killing of 'animals,' living things just like her and them.

One day they disappeared taking their warmth with them.

Leaving Malina all alone.

The darkness. It was getting heavy, making it hard for Malina to move. She wanted to move. She could hear 'voices' outside, they didn't sound anything like mother's or father's. Malina missed them, her 'parents,' she wanted them. They were coming back, maybe they were just sleeping in late? Perhaps the 'night' was lasting longer then usual? They would come for her. Yet inside, she knew that it was more then just one 'night' had passed since they disappeared, since she had been pressed against the wall. They weren't coming back were they?

A tiny sliver of something, a tiny shard suddenly appeared in front of her, blinding her. It was bright and it stung, making her 'eyes' hurt. Was this the 'light' her mother and father would tell her about? That at first it blinded, but as she got adjusted to it, she would love it, the way it lit up the world for her, the way it guided her. It hurt and she didn't like that it was getting in her 'eyes,' so she lifted a 'paw' to cover it, however that caused the 'darkness' to break and the 'light' to grow bigger.

Edited by mipuppy1

user posted image

Refrar panicked. "Aaah w-we're both floating awayyy!" Luckily, they started to descend - seemingly randomly. "O..oh... that's better!" Refrar clumsily landed on an egg as they managed to get back to the ground. After picking herself up, she looked at the pink hatchling, afraid the creature might float away again. "What.. are you ok?"

user posted image

Sparkly Scaler turned to the Guardian hatchling after a moment of silence. She didn't say anything, as she was unsure of what she was supposed to say. Maybe a hello? Or she could ask him for his name. Before she could decide, she heard a growl from the back of the small, cramped cave. She backed away towards the cave entrance, bumping into more unhatched eggs. Then, she tumbled out into sunshine.

She sat up, shaking her hide, as she looked around. She was in the open. "This is...better...than the cr..cramped cave," she decided. A moment later, she heard someone calling for assistance and turned to see Madlia outside an area of tall, green structures that had brown bodies. Cocking her head, she went out towards Madlia, stumbling a little. It took a short while as the distance was a bit long for a hatchling to cover.

"Wh-what is...is it?" asked Sparkly.

~~~

user posted image

Rale Rock lifted up his tail on instinct when he heard the growl come from the back of the cave. That was when he realised that his tail had some sort of shield on it. It looked heavy, yet it was light. He returned his gaze to the back of the cave. What was going on in there?

Cautious, he lowered his body to the ground and crept to the back, avoiding the many eggs taking up the floor of the cave. When he reached the back of the cave, he curled up behind an egg as bright yellow sparks seemed to be emitting from behind it.

"H-hello?" he said, slowly poking his head out from behind the egg.

Edited by Dream_Dragon

Madlia smiled when she saw somebody coming to help, and then said to Sparkly, I want t-the food up there, but I c-can't reach. Can you h-help me? Madlia wasn't sure quite how Sparkly would be able to help, but she was sure that having another hatchling would allow them to get more food, somehow. Maybe she could climb on top of Sparkly? Madlia doubted that the hatchling was strong enough, but it was worth a shot. However, she decided to wait for a response before doing anything rash.

user posted image

Sparkly Scaler paused to think for a moment, staring up at the fruit. How could they get the berries?

"I'm not sure..." she said, right before an idea struck.

"Maybe we could knock it down?" she suggested. It was a spur-of-the-moment idea, so she wasn't entirely sure how they were going to knock the berries down.

Edited by Dream_Dragon

Madlia was interested by Sparkly's idea, and said, sure, w-why not? Madlia stumbled around the bush, found the part with the least leaves, and started pushing at the central brown stem. It was thick, and resisted her attempts for the most part, but she could hear it cracking ever so slightly. C-come on! I th-hink we can do this! Madlia enjoyed working with other hatchlings. It made her feel ... whole.

user posted image

Sparkly Scaler's eyes lit up as Madlia apparently decided to follow on with her idea. She went after Madlia, and, finding the part with least leaves, she put her hooves up and pushed forward. Now that they were working together, the bush had started to tilt forward even more. Her ears twitched, what with the leaves crackling and the stem cracking.

Edited by Dream_Dragon

((OOC: As a note, I don't think it says anywhere in the Canopy dragon's description what they eat, but I envision them eating fruits, berries, and vegetables, which is why Madlia is an herbivore.))

Madlia continued pushing, and watched as the base of the bush continued to lean away from them, and eventually cracked, causing her to fall over. Oof! Madlia said as she picked herself up slowly. Walking around to the once top of the bush, she picked one of the larger berries and put it in her mouth. The action of chewing was strange to her, but she enjoyed the tangy taste of the berry. Swallowing heavily, Madlia almost choked when the berry went down the wrong pipe. Spitting it out frantically, she began to breath heavily, and said, s-stupid berry. Why does everything tasty w-want to kill me?

<OOC: Yeah, seems about right. Shouldn't this be in the OOC topic? xd.png >

user posted image

Sparkly Scaler smiled with satisfaction as the bush went down. She looked at Madlia.

"Are y-you okay?" she asked, before realising what happened.

"I th-think you need to c-calm down a little," she said, smiling slightly as she bent her head down and picked one of the berries with her teeth, chewing it slowly as she relished with the sweet taste of the berry. Careful after what happened with Madlia, she swallowed and fortunately, nothing happened. She flashed a grin at Madlia.

Edited by Dream_Dragon

Madlia nodded slightly while spitting out the last remnants of her first berry. Standing back up, as she had fallen down when the berry had first started choking her, she picked up a second berry and ate it more cautiously, making sure that she didn't try to breathe while eating it. Looking back down at the berries, she saw that there were only a few left, and noted that she was still quite hungry. I-I think we need to f-find more foood, Madlia said, before realizing something. A-also, if we pu-ush over all the bushes, how w-will we get more berries? Madlia pawed sadly at the trunk of the bush, which was splintered where it had broken away from the ground. It almost looked sad.

user posted image

"I'm s-sure we c-can find a w-way," replied Sparkly Scaler, trying to sound confident.

"Maybe we could pl-plant ano-another bush?" she suggested, wondering why she kept suggesting idea that she couldn't even begin to make sense of.

"Where even are w-we?" Sparkly looked around, realising for the first time that she hadn't the slightest idea of where they were. What was this place?

<OOC: "Where even are we?" Indeed.>

Edited by Dream_Dragon

user posted image

The hatchling's eyes darted over to the hatchling staring at him. He gulped as he realized the hatchling could pin-point exactly where we was. Once more, panic settled in.

What if there's more hatchling ready to gang up on me? What if they all attack me? What if they all hurt me? No! I don't want that! I have to get away! I must escape!

Without waiting for the orbs to reply, the hatchling fled. He stumbled out of the darkness and ran towards the boulder he was behind before. The sparks dancing off his body increased as his fear grew. The hatchling slammed his head against the rock as soon as he took cover.

They can't find me now. They'll fail just like the first hatchling.

Relief that was beginning to flood him got stuck in hatchling's throat as soon as he realized the blood trickling off his head had left a small, but not untraceable, trail behind him.

No, no, no, NO! They'll hurt me! I know it! They will! I can't be found. I can't, I can't!

user posted image

Rale Rock jumped back, surprised as the other hatchling dashed past him, stumbling as he went along. Rale put his shield up, blocking the electric sparks that flew to him.

"H-hey! Wait!" he called after the fleeing hatchling. He noticed a trail of dark red liquid that was left behind. Blood. A strange feeling suddenly flared up within him. What was this? He flinched. He had a sudden need to...to protect the hatchling, to convince him that he was safe. Following the trail of blood, he ended up at a boulder where there was a significant glow behind it.

"Calm d-down," he said soothingly, "N-nobody's going to hurt you, okay? Trust me."

user posted image

The hatchling spun around, flipping himself onto the ground as he did so. His chest pounded madly as he heart raced.

"You're lying!" he shouted at the Guardian. The hatchling backed up, his legs scrambling to get a footing. Once more, the hatchling turned to run, but this time he could not. His emotional stress was too great and his confusion was flooding him. The hatchling tripped over his own tail, smashing his jaw into the ground. A whimper sounded from his mouth as he turned himself over; grabbing at his snout with one paw.

"S-Stay back!" he whined as sparks flew from his body. He try to push himself backwards, but couldn't get very far.

"Don't c-come any closer!" then hatchling wailed, tears starting to stream down his face.

Tenebris

Tenebris was about to reply when the hatchling ran off again. However, he was quick to follow. Using the trail of blood to help, he followed it to where another hatchling was trying to coax it out of a corner.

"That probably shall not work." Tenebris said as he padded up next to the hatchling with a shielded tail. "Maybe we should just leave him alone. We only seem to harm him with fright."

He nodded with his head towards the sparking dragon's injury. Tenebris did not know exactly what the substance leaking from it was, but it did not seem good.