Shibadruid

Survival of the Youngest

Madlia sighed. The Swallowtail seemed to be taking the idea she'd come up with as her own. Walking up to her, Madlia said, I-I'll come t-too! But, I a-already had that idea. N-nobody was l-listening to me ... Madlia trailed off, a bit sadly. However, she quickly realized that she hated being sad! Instead, she started focusing on the fact that everybody want to do something that she had the idea to do first! Remembering this made her much happier, and put a metaphorical spring in her step, as an actual one would have caused her to fall over yet again. Turning to the forest, Madlia made her way towards the toppled bush, and bit into another one of the berries, careful to not choke on it like she had done earlier.

user posted image

Kummaline licked a red egg, and it tasted rather funny; not bad, but it wasn't something that Kummaline liked that much.

Note to self: Avoid pure red eggs. Their taste hurts the green thing in your mouth. It is now very hot.

Kumma was just about to move on to a purple egg when he was suddenly knocked over onto his side. He let out a quiet yelp, and landed with a thud. Kumma looked at the hatchling that knocked him over, then at the egg he had just crushed beneath him. Egg shell, egg white, and parts of the developing fetus lay under him, the smell... oddly tantalizing. He felt bad for whatever was within the shell, but upon further examination, it appeared deformed perhaps.. very odd. Kummaline redirected his attention to the apologetic dragon in front of him, then squinted his eyes at her.

"....Grrrmgfslaldfs".

Wait what? Was that even speech? Nope.

Kumma was upset with the dragon, but this was a learning experience; he couldn't speak yet, it was hard to walk, and he knew what was inside the egg things. Kumma tried to resist the urge, but it was getting to him. The urge to eat that is. The Spotted Greenwing flipped over onto his back and licked the egg shell a few times.

Note to self: Eating Blue eggs with white spirals is okay. It makes you feel good, but then drool drips from your mouth. Fix problem ASAP.

Kummaline crawled over to the dead fetus and gobbled it up in no time; blood, organs, among other things oozed from his mouth, but he didn't care, it tasted great!

I wonder if these other things taste as good!

(If anyone has a problem with how specific I am with the egg detail {as in "blue egg with white spiral"} I will change accordingly. Please PM)

Edited by LegendOfKorraFan

Tenebris

"Just keep an eye on him for now." Tenebris said. "Make sure he doesn't hurt himself."

The Dark dragon hatchling then proceeded to walk off, his stomach beginning to growl. That must be a hint that he was getting hungry. That meant that he needed food. Hearing that others wanted to go and get some, he walked over.

"I shall help to hunt." He said. "That is, if you'll have me.'

((OOC: Sorry for my absence, I have been a bit busy as of late.))

It was dark. Calearn had noticed this, and was displeased by that fact. So, he decided to fix that. He lashed out against his tiny prison, and enjoyed the cracking sounds followed by a ray of light leaking into his egg. Goood, he thought, and then continued his struggle. Another kick. Another crack, and another ray of light. Calearn was almost free. A final kick sent him sprawling out into the world, and right into a Spotted Greenwing. Calearn saw the bluish grey egg, and immediately made the connection between himself, the egg, and the entrails next to the Greenwing. Scrambling to his feet, he growled, w-why would you d-do that? That c-could have been m-my sister! M-mean d-dragon. Calearn was stuttering with equal parts inexperience and rage. HE had no idea why he was getting so worked up about the egg, but it just felt ... right. Calearn crouched down, and eyed the Greenwing warily.

<OOC: @skiddajane What Pumpkin dragon?>

user posted image

Sparkly Scaler turned her head towards another hatchling that had two tails, who had called her to get some food. "Wasn't that Madlia's idea?" she tilted her head, confused. Nevertheless, she went over to the hatchling, where a couple of others had decided to join.

"S-sure, I'll come along," she shrugged. "Even if you stole Madlia's idea." She looked at the other two hatchlings who were there too - a Soulpeace and a Black hatchling. Sparkly looked curiously at the latter. She liked the look of him. She wondered if they could be friends. However, for some strange reason, she couldn't bring herself to talk to him. All the words in her head died on her tongue. So Sparkly looked at the Swallowtail instead.

"I'm Sparkly Scaler," she said, "What's your n-name?"

~~~

user posted image

Rale Rock looked down as the Black hatchling spoke, walking off afterwards. What was he supposed to do with this Electric hatchling?

"Are you hungry?" he asked, a bit concerned when he heard the rumble from the Electric's stomach. Rale hoped that he wouldn't go scurrying off again.

Edited by Dream_Dragon

((Whoops, I meant Harvest dragon, not Pumpkin dragon haha. I ALWAYS mix the two up! tongue.gif I edited the post. ))

user posted image

Noelle was shocked that the dragon had introduced herself. Oh dear... She forgot to tell her friends her name as well. "Uh.. my name is Noelle. It's nice to meet you. Can I call you...Sparkly?"She asked. It was just then, that she noticed the Soulpeace had run away from her. She found her, and walked right up to her again. She was begging Noelle not to eat her, and apparently begging the same to another black/green hatchling. Maybe he would come hunting too. It looked like he was eating..eggs??? What the heck!!? Go ahead and eat eggs, but not Dragon eggs! She gently nudged the soulpeace over to the side, and gave her a reassuring smile to show that she meant no harm. After she had hopefully gotten her point across, she turned to face the black and green hatchling. To her surprise, a Royal Blue got to him first. He was more so begging him to stop, rather than actually yelling at him. Noelle came up next to the Royal, and glared at the black and green hatchling. "What are you doing? Those are dragon eggs! You're a dragon, stupid! Go eat other eggs or something!" She realized that it probably didn't know better, but wasn't it obvious that dragons were coming out of those eggs? She continued to glare at him, occasionally looking at the soulpeace to make sure she wasn't scaring her. This was a distraction, she and her new friends were going to hunt, and he was getting in the way. So far, Sparkly Scaler, The black capped Temiarr, the Soulpeace, the Canopy, the pure black dragon, and maybe the Harvest dragon were going hunting. Not bad. We're going hunting, if you want to come." she said quickly to the Royal blue, before turning away. She wasn't going to waste her time yelling at the...Greenwing. That's what he was called. She went back for the Soulpeace, to make sure she followed her to the outside of the cave. My name is Noelle, if you want to know. What's your name?" She was getting used to this whole "name" thing. She nodded at the pure black dragon as she passed him, to let him know he could come too.

Edited by skiddajane

user posted image

"Sure..." muttered Sparkly Scaler as she watched Noelle walk off to yell at some hatchling who was eating...dragon eggs?! Sparkly made a disgusted face before turning away from the sight. As Noelle walked out of the cave, Sparkly stole another glance at the Alt Black hatchling before following Noelle, only to spot Madlia alone back at the berry bush they had pushed over outside the forest. Sparkly smiled and quickly trotted over to her, almost tripping in the process.

"Hey!" she greeted Madlia, stopping in front of her, "I g-guess some of the oth-other hatchlings t-took up on your idea." She looked back at the others coming out of the cave for a moment before looking back at Madlia.

Edited by Dream_Dragon

user posted image

Noelle was walking less awkwardly now, and reached the cave entrance sooner than she had thought. She hoped the Soulpeace had followed her. She came outside to where Sparkly, and the Canopy dragon were. She looked the Canopy over before asking her name. "My name's Noelle, if you were wondering. What's your name?" She asked. "I think we should waif a few minutes for the others though." She added.

user posted image

The hatchling's cowardliness returned as the Guardian spoke. He backed up a few steps and grabbed his muzzle.

"A-A little," he admitted as he looked away once more. Small sparks were forming around his tail again. His began to beat faster ever so slightly and his voice shivered as he spoke. The hatchling stared off at the others who seemed to be gathering together.

Oh... why do there have to be so many of them? Do I have to go out and be with them? Do I have to look and, I really hope not, talk with them? I-I can't do that! That's horrible!

Edited by Doctortear

Tenebris

Tenebris became a bit confused when it seemed like the horse dragon was ignoring him. The young hatchling opened his mouth, about to say something, but then he saw another hatchling eating an egg. A dragon egg.

"What are you doing!" Tenebris demanded in an outrage. "That is another dragon! One of our own! Why are you resorting to cannibalism, when we are all about to go hunt for proper food?"

Calearn watched as other dragons walked up to the Greenwing and chastised them. He didn't get a chance to speak to the first, but when a Black hatchling appeared, he growled, s-stay out of m-my fight. Calearn knew what he was doing, and knew that he had to pull it off. He didn't need other hatchlings to help him.

~~~~~

Madlia smiled at Sparkly, and said, I n-noticed, the turned to Noelle, and said, I'm Madlia. S-sparkly and I p-pushed down this b-bush. D-do you want a berry?

((OOC: Note: unless Noelle is an herbivore or an omnivore, the berry should taste horrible.))

user posted image

Noelle smiled, and plucked a berry off of the bush. The second she grabbed it, juices squirted out and all over her hand. "Ick, I guess I have to be careful with these." She said, laughing a little bit. She rubbed her claw on the grass, and plucked off another berry. This time, she didn't squish it, and was able to get it into her mouth. She bit down, and the juice flowed over her little teeth. The flavor was bitter, and sour at the same time. It was absolutely disgusting. She spit it out on the ground, and kept spitting until the flavor was at least mostly gone from her mouth. "Auckk! I'm sorry, but that was terrible. I guess I don't like berries... What else is there to eat? Other than OUR OWN KIND!" She raised her voice and looked back into the cave at the Greenwing. She hated his guts. If he dropped dead, I wouldn't care at all. He can just leave. He's setting a bad example, and eating our would-be brothers and sisters! Someone stop me before I rip HIM apart... She thought to herself. She would have, if it weren't for the fact that she really didn't have much for claws, and some dragons had already beat her to the punch. Even the black one was over there. Huh, I thought he was going to look for food with us. Where's the little soulpeace? She thought some more. With that stupid Greenwing around, she was a bit worried for everyones' safety. What if he decided that live dragons were better than developing ones? The Soulpeace was certainly one of the smallest, next to the Teimarr.

Madlia stifled a laugh when Noelle got the raspberry on her, and replied calmly, I g-guess fruit isn't for everyone. What do you mean, o-other than o-our own kind? Was there a dragon t-that was eating ... Madlia trailed off, and began looking in the direction that Noelle was glaring at. Eventually, she noticed the Greenwing, alongside a cracked egg, and ... eugh. W-why would he d-do that? I'm s-sure it must h-have been a mistake! M-maybe he w-wanted to eat m-meat but he c-couldn't find a-anything else? Madlia was attempting to find a way in which the Greenwing was not at fault, but she was having a hard time. Even so, she didn't want to think badly of it, because it could have just made a mistake, and one single mistake shouldn't cause it to be cast out from their group.

user posted image

There might have been a presence in the beginning, something that curled around the shell and gave warmth. Something that could have been important and special.

But it soon was gone and the egg memory faded away, leaving only a hint that a shadow of existence had once been there.

------

Noises woke him. They were loud and stuttered, echoing around outside of the walls enclosing him. He stayed curled up, eyes closed as his thoughts started to take shape and meaning.

Where? Warm leaving. Everything tight. Out maybe? Maybe yes out?

Stretching his head forward, hands clutched close to his chest, he pressed his snout against the shell, feeling something soft and thin covering something hard and rough. Touching the wall with the end of his nose, he leaned forward slightly, his tiny clawed hands now feeling the cage around him.

Out now, yes? Push out? No tight out, yes?

Concentrating as his new thoughts pieced themselves together, he pressed his snout harder against the shell, leaning his whole body forward. The wall felt hard, but it was brittle and tiny white cracks spaced out around where he was pressing. Even with his eyes closed, his eyelids were new and the light burned, making him freeze in slow thought.

What? Ow from push out? No push out, then? But all tight. Have to push out, no tight out.

His eyelids grew accustomed to the light during his thought process and, now confident that he had to get out of the tight space, the hatchling pressed himself against the wall with more strength.

user posted image

With a resounding crack and snap, the wall and soft membrane surrounding the inside broke apart, dropping the newborn out of his egg and landing with a hard thud onto the ground. The light was much stronger and, though it didn’t burn like it first had, it was uncomfortable and he kept his eyes shut tight.

Out now? No tight out. But cold, too bright. No like bright. No like cold. No like out! No want out!

His head felt heavy and the rest of his body felt weird. The cold was starting to cause him to shake. Instinctively opening his mouth, he let out a screech of sound, his throat vibrating with his first personal noise. The slightly damp fin that rested on his head flared up and he covered his face with his claws, not understanding what was happening.

No like out! Go away out! Want back! Want tight, no out! No cold, no bright, no out!

user posted image

Noelle wanted to go hunting badly. There was the three of them, and she hoped that it would be enough. She wanted to know how many were leaving the cave, and how many were staying. She just felt like she needed to know. So, Madila, Sparkly, and her were going out for sure. The black dragon, the Soulpeace, the damn Greenwing, ((pardon)) an electric dragon, a balloon dragon, the Royal Blue, the Harvest, the Teimarr, a Guardian dragon, and a dorsal that had just hatched were still in the cave. She wanted to leave, now. She wasn't sure if she wanted anyone else leaving, because she somehow felt that she cared about the others. Maybe not the Greenwing.... but still. She ran back into the cave up to the pure black dragon. "Three of us are going hunting. You can come, but at least tell someone else to keep everyone near the cave until we get back if you do." She realized that the other dragons probably didn't like being bossed around, but at least it was for their own good. She ran back outside back to Sparkly and Madila, and waited to see what the Black dragon would do.

I don't want tI go anymore. There are too many people. Instead of following Noelle, she urged back around and plopped down inside the cave. They probably won't care anyway... Thoughts raged inside Salta's head, but they weren't dark. They were just... Neutral. Not good, but not bad either. So she sat there, looking at the other hatchlings and listening to them. There were lots of others interacting with each other, and someone was...eating the eggs? Salta found herself much more satisfied then she would have been hunting. Edited by KoalaNoob

user posted image

Green eyes opened in the darkness. A snout was lifted and the eyes blinked. Sounds from the outside work the hatchling from her slumber. Small claws grasped the darkness and surprised filled the Pumpkin as she realized there was something in front of her. Curious as to what it was, the hatchling kicked the rough edge in front of her. Yet again, she felt something there. An idea formed in her head, and the hatchling proceeded to slash and kick at the wall. The hatchling continued to do this until a large crack was heard. Surprise filled the hatchling once more as she tumbled out of her egg and into the bright world. A wail escaped the hatchling as she curled up into a ball in a feeble attempt to get away from the light.

It hurts! It hurts! I don't like this! I want to go back! Please, let me go back!

user posted image

Kummaline just stood there in horror as a mob of agitated hatchlings approached him. A mass of thoughts barraged his mind, but he had little time to process such thoughts. Instead, Kummaline had to act purely on instinct; dropping the dead babe from his maw, Kumma leaped past the hatchlings, and climbed up onto a little ledge on the side of the cave. Huffing and puffing, Kumma sat there wondering what he did wrong exactly.

What did I do wrong? All I did was eat the thingy! Note to self: Learn more about egg things and their "Guardians".

Kummaline sat on his "pedestal", inquisitively watching all from above, studying each one of them for a moment. The green appendages growing from his body began flickering a light green colour as he studied. Kummaline looked at himself curiously, wondering what could be causing this to happen.

"Whaafffpldcss?!"

Nope, speech is still not a thing

Remembering the fact that the majority of the hatchlings were upset with him, and that some wanted to "hurt him", Kummaline curled up into a ball and began to wimper, keeping an eye on everyone.

Things weren't looking too good for Kummaline.

Edited by LegendOfKorraFan

Calearn growled at the hatchling as it tried to get away. How dare it not respond to him. Scrabbling up after the Greenwing, he growled, A-answer me! W-why did you t-try to eat others o-of your own kind? Well? Calearn felt his blood boiling over. Answer me! Calearn was doing all that he could to not push the hatchling to the ground and seriously injure it. He didn't want to do that ... yet.

user posted image

Malina blinked, the blue and gray dragon didn't want to hurt her? She seemed gentle and nice now, however she turned away from Malina then approached the black hatchling with green fins that Malina had been watching earlier and started to scream at him with a few other hatchlings. They were ganging in on him and looked like they were about to attack.

Malina watched in fear, as the black hatchling jumped over the hatchlings that looked like they were ready to strike and onto a piece of the cave that jutted out. Something told her it was a 'ledge.' He curled up and begun to whimper, but still a different blue dragon started to scream at him. Malina couldn't make out what they were saying because they talked so loudly, their voices were harsh and hard to make out as they shouted with anger.

Malina didn't see what the black hatchling was doing and didn't understand why the others were just picking on him and making harsh loud noises at him, for fun? Something flared inside Malina as the blue hatchling continued to yell at the black one- an emotion? Motherly instincts. But what? She had just hatched? She couldn't be a mother yet! Still, she stopped questioning it, leaving it for later and stumbled between the blue and black hatchling.

"Leave him alone!" She made the same loud, harsh, sound they were making with their voices. See how they like a taste of their own medicine.

Yet, to her great disappointment, her voice didn't come out anything like theirs'. Her own voice was considerable softer, lighter... more girlish. It didn't command much respect at all if any. So all the little soulpeace could do was hope that her stand spoke volumes.

Edited by mipuppy1

user posted image

After several moments of shielding herself from the light, the hatchling's eyes adjusted to the sudden lack of darkness. A coo rumbled in the hatchling's throat as she stood up and gazed at the cave in awe. The beauty, the majesty, the glory! There was so much to see, so much to do! How could the hatchling not be amazed by the wondrous world around her? It was beautiful! The hatchling's eyes grew large and her pupils dilated as she looked at the world around her. Something in particular caught her eye. A flickering green light in the dark reaches of the cave. A squeak came forth and the hatchling crawled forward. Her eyes locked onto the glow and she squeaked once more. Not knowing there were other hatchlings around, the hatchling skittered over to the cavern wall and began to scale it. Her tiny claws were not efficient enough to climb, resulting in her falling down multiple times. The hatchling landed with a thump and squeaked in agitation. She was about to try again, but the sight of a much larger hatchling pulled her away. Curiosity sparked in the hatchling as she tilted her head at the strange larger hatchling. The dark blue contrasted upon the black was pretty for sure.

But not as pretty as the green light...

Clawing at the wall, the Pumpkin squeaked and jumped up and down in an effort to climb up once more.

Calearn turned to the Soulpeace, his eyes writhing with emotion, but for some reason didn't explode. Instead, he spoke softly, possibly acting more menacing than he ever could have through yelling. Get. Out. Calearn stared right into her eyes, and attempted to strike fear into her. He had no idea if it would work, but he personally felt like he was the strongest thing in the world at that point. You h-have no idea what you're getting into, he growled icily. T-this dragon is a c-cannibal.

user posted image

The drab, olive hatchling twisted, puffy eyes closed tight against the encroaching light. A foot lashed out, claws scrabbling against the thick, porous shell of her egg. She wiggled down, scrunching her thin body together. Her nose wrinkled, and she swiped a paw over her snout. She clawed at her ears, squealing as sharp noises bit at the fragile membrane.

A loose foot kicked out, scraping off the dark pattern of her egg. She twisted again, her belly flopping against the dip of her eggshell. She bunched up a paw into a fist, bashing against the hard wall.

A smash resounded from the meager blow, and the wilted spine sprouting from her drab green scales prickled. She squealed again, snuffling. Her nose poked its way between her paws, searching out warmth and comfort. Her tail lashed against the shell in defiance, daring the noises to resume.

Another yell pierced her shell, and her lip curled in anger. Her eyes blinked open, squinting against the strange sensation of... sight. It had always been too dusky in this... space for her to see, but something had changed. Thoughts, once sluggish and slow in coming, rushed through her brain in a barrage of sensory detail. Her snout perked up, sniffling as new scents oozed through the membrane of her egg. A musty smell, presumably her own, prevailed, but undertones of something like fear and blood awakened her fully.

A grumble resounded from her stomach. She whimpered, sudden hunger pangs biting at her flesh. An outstretched paw clawed against the oval boundary supporting her; weakly, at first, but with renewed energy every stroke.

Another sharp sound slammed against her ears, and she recoiled from its direction. Her ribs smashed against her egg, and she cried out with pain. Her fangs, still abalone-white with newness, clattered on the shell. Claws and feet and tail beat viciously against the home-turned-prison, anxiety building as the shell did not yield. With a screech of frustration, the hatchling threw herself onto the shell wall.

She broke through in the burst of sudden movement, shards of shell scratching against her fragile skin. Her body crashed against the hard, rocky ground, flopping awkwardly. She lay for a moment, still as a corpse. Her breath came in ragged gasps, the harsh noise echoing in this strange, roomy lightness. Her stomach heaved in and out with every rasping sigh. Limbs, weak from hunger, stirred feebly. Blood, stark red against her dull scales, trickled from the cuts marring her deadly pallor.

user posted image

Noelle shook her head at the confusion of angry dragons inside the cave. She didn't even see the Greenwing anymore. Nonetheless, she turned away, disgusted. She looked back at Madila and Sparkly. I think we should get away for a while. Maybe if we catch something and bring it back for everyone, things will calm down. Hey, maybe the Greenwing will stop eating dragons." She nodded at them, and began walking away from the cave.

user posted image

Refrar nodded, going with the new hatchling friends to find food, whatever that was. It sounded like a good thing. Hearing the outrage about some dragon eating its own kind, the young hatchling looked back into the cave, confused. "W..wh-what are they fighting about?" She turned to Sparkly, seeing if the purple hatchling had any idea.