Riverwillows

"Happy Holidays" vs "Merry Christmas"

though im known to say happy ramahanaquanzmas

I had no idea that was actually a greeting. Thank you.

I'm an atheist, and I'm okay with any greeting, really...don't understand why some people make such a big deal out of it, to be honest.

It's a holiday, a time when, as you said yourself, it's all about joy and love, and I've always thought people say good wishes and greetings to each other because they want to, well, actually share joy and love maybe? I haven't met anyone who seems to be running around saying, "Merry Christmas!" out of spite or anything... xd.png

Personally, I say it rather randomly...when it comes to English, then usually "Happy Holidays" or "Merry Christmas", and I do not even pay that much attention to which one I pick every time.

Edited by ZzelaBusya

Frankly, I don't care. If someone says "Merry Christmas" I'll say the same, and if someone says "Happy holidays" I'll say that back. They both technically mean the same thing, one is just more broad than the other.

Sometimes I'll say "Merry Holidays" or "Happy Christmas" though. biggrin.gif

Since my boss wants me to say, "Happy Holidays" to people, that's what I tend to say now out of habit. If a customer says, "Merry Christmas" to me first, I'll respond with, "Merry/Happy Christmas." For the most part, no body cares what I say, as long as I sound like I mean it. I certainly don't care what you say to me, as long as you seem to genuinely be wishing me well.

I really hate it when I use, "Happy Holidays" in my cheerful 'helping customer mode' voice and someone replies with, "Merry Christmas" in a tone of voice you just know is condescending. Or get lectured about my use of "Happy Holidays." You know what? I was being polite to you, by wishing you well during the holiday season; I'm stuck in a 10 hour work shift, I really don't need to be made to feel like a heel for trying to be nice.

Edited by Draco Knight

I think ether is fine. Both mean the same thing and I'm fine with ether.

Usually I say back whatever one was said to me out of habit.

However, I really hate it when I use, "Happy Holidays" in my cheerful 'helping customer mode' voice and someone replies with, "Merry Christmas" in a tone of voice you just know is condescending. Or get lectured about my use of "Happy Holidays." You know what? I was being polite to you, by wishing you well during the holiday season; I'm stuck in a 10 hour work shift, I really don't need to be made to feel like a heel for trying to be nice.

Yeah. I've been known to sort of do this... dry.gif Mostly because I've gotten the other end. People saying happy holidays in a condescending "you shouldn't say that it's offensive" tone. And I consider that one of my numerous problems. I suppose I'll have to work on that this year. (And it doesn't help that I can tell if people mean it that way even when they don't use the tone of voice to try to indicate it to you.)

I think this thread perfectly illustrates why I use "Happy Holidays" as much as possible.

Honestly, if I could, I would include *everyone* and say something like "Happy ChristmasHanukkahYuleRamadanetcetcetc"..... But since I can never remember *every single holiday* that happens around this season...

I'm on the edge between non-practicing Christian and atheist, I really don't know. But I have no problem with people telling me Merry Christmas or whatever it is they want to express.

But *I* don't want to offend anyone. And yeah, maybe it's a little petty to be *offended* just because someone doesn't wish you well with the terms you would prefer, I'd rather not assume that everyone will react well to something that *might* imply they are Christian. Personally I think it's fairly ridiculous that people would actually get so worked up over something so small, but I use Happy Holidays to try to "keep the peace" as it were.

I'm Pagan, but I was raised as a Christian and parts of Christianity are still important to me, including Christmas. I wish people Merry Christmas, but I give cards saying Happy Holidays, too. And after all, everyone in Western society celebrates New Years right after Christmas, and that's a holiday, too. Also, I would love it if someone said Happy Hanukkah, or Merry Yule, or anything like that to me. I'd never dream of being offended, because they're wishing me happiness, and we could all do with more of that. :-)

I don't see why this is a big deal...couldn't it just go like this?

Person A: Merry christmas!

Person B: Actually, I don't celebrate christmas, but Yule.

Person A: Then Happy Yule to you!

Person B: Thank you, and to you.

If only the world worked like that...

I knew a Jehovah's Witness a long time ago, and I always wished her a Happy Winter smile.gif It's the motive behind the greeting that is important, and they all really mean "Have fun this season", so I don't see the point in quibbling between a phrase.

Honestly it irritates the crap out of me hearing Happy Holidays. I prefer Merry Christmas over all. I grew up with hearing that and even if I am not a Christian or even religious for that matter I'd still rather hear it over Happy Holidays. :/

Honestly it irritates the crap out of me hearing Happy Holidays. I prefer Merry Christmas over all. I grew up with hearing that and even if I am not a Christian or even religious for that matter I'd still rather hear it over Happy Holidays. :/

Yes. This. This is why I dislike it when people say Happy Holidays now (I wouldn't have cared either way all that long ago). I am only 15 and I can actually remember a point where it didn't seem like anyone cared (though I'm sure many did). It's practically become a war, at least around here, where people will get upset with someone for not using the correct greeting. LIKE EVERYONE IS PSYCHIC AND KNOWS YOU'LL BE OFFENDED

And I must regretfully admit, again, that I am very prone to having that attitude. dry.gif

Yes. This. This is why I dislike it when people say Happy Holidays now (I wouldn't have cared either way all that long ago). I am only 15 and I can actually remember a point where it didn't seem like anyone cared (though I'm sure many did). It's practically become a war, at least around here, where people will get upset with someone for not using the correct greeting. LIKE EVERYONE IS PSYCHIC AND KNOWS YOU'LL BE OFFENDED

And I must regretfully admit, again, that I am very prone to having that attitude. dry.gif

Yeah I mean I get it you don't want to offend people but some people really need to get over it. Christmas isn't much of a religious holiday as it use to be. Now it's about spending time with friends, family and giving/receiving gifts. Not much about religion there at all.

I'd much rather hear Merry Christmas than Happy Holidays.

If I know what the person I'm talking to celebrates then I great them with appropriate "happy whatever". If I don't, I stick with happy holidays.

Wasn't jesus's b-day during the summer anyway... blink.gif

I celebrate Yule, I don't correct people if they are celebrating "Christmas" I don't vent out my religion over them. I also do not care nor get offended if people say Happy Holidays.....

Too bad people never "tolerate" me and my beliefs. dry.gif

Edited by BlightWyvern

Yes, based on astronomical findings and what is preached in the Bible, they have determined that Jesus would have to have been born in what we now have as July/August. But the early religious leaders changed it to late December to combat the at then very popular pagan festival of Saturnalia, and also the Celtic Yule.

Frankly it doesn't bother me. I celebrate Christmas (even though I'm not religious), but if I didn't I personally would not be offended if someone said to me "Merry Christmas." I would either correct them nicely, or smile and say "Merry Christmas" back and move on with my day. It's not, IMHO, worth getting worked up over. The spirit of the season is about peace and giving anyways, no matter which holiday you celebrate.

Honestly, I prefer being told, "Merry Christmas!" even though I'm Jewish. Only so I can wish them a Happy Chanukkah in return, of course, and get the, "Oh, I don't celebrate that," to which I reply, "Oh, don't worry, I don't celebrate Christmas." It's awfully fun to see people's reactions xd.png

Edited by PieMaster

Wasn't jesus's b-day during the summer anyway... blink.gif

It would at least be during the season for shepherding, because the shepherds were in the field.

I think it was like:

Sometime during the first or second century a roman emperor (or something, it's been a while since my youth pastor went over this) took the celebration of saturnalia and made it a celebration of Christ's birth. It's really not a celebration of when he came, it's a celebration that he came. (As re-purposed by some random guy with power who wanted to force everyone to believe like he did. tongue.gif )

My info is most certainly a bit off, it's seriously been a while since I looked into this stuff

wink.gif I always say Merry Christmas. I may say Happy Holidays. It depends what mood I'm in. But saying Merry Christmas is tradition. It has to do with Christ's birth. That is why the holiday is called Christ mas?

Honestly, I prefer being told, "Merry Christmas!" even though I'm Jewish. Only so I can wish them a Happy Chanukkah in return, of course, and get the, "Oh, I don't celebrate that," to which I reply, "Oh, don't worry, I don't celebrate Christmas." It's awfully fun to see people's reactions xd.png

...Oh my god. If I celebrated something specific during the winter holiday I would totally do that. As is though my family's Chinese and we just use the holidays as an excuse to get together with a bunch of other families, play cards, and get drunk.

@Spike: Yeah, but the point of this thread is that not everyone has that tradition. And apparently some people get offended when other people talk about traditions they don't share.

Actually, if someone were to say something different than Merry Christmas back to me (and it wasn't Happy Holidays) then I'd probably say something like "Oh, okay, Happy _________ then"

My best friend's family is Christian, but they celebrate Hanukkah and follow several other Jewish traditions too. (Totally different subject from the other half of my post tongue.gif)

While it is true that we should be more sensitive to others' beliefs that may not be the same as ours, I don't think anyone should be upset after being wished a merry Christmas, happy Hanukkah, or any other holiday. The intention is a greeting and/or good wishes. The vast majority of people wishing other people a merry Christmas do so to express goodwill, not to try to offend people of other faiths. A gentle correction or simple "And happy [holiday(s)] to you!" response seems appropriate for non-Christians.

As an aside, "Season's greetings" may in fact be the most neutral expression of all, to take into account those who don't celebrate any holiday at that time.

Edited by Tecca

Yes, based on astronomical findings and what is preached in the Bible, they have determined that Jesus would have to have been born in what we now have as July/August. But the early religious leaders changed it to late December to combat the at then very popular pagan festival of Saturnalia, and also the Celtic Yule.

Lol, the southern hemisphere has it right. Christmas for them is in the summer. lol

I say "Merry Christmas" and get slightly irked (but only slightly) when people say "happy holidays" because it's so commercialized and generic and politically correct. (I personally don't like being politically correct because half the time it's not correct anyway.) It throws me off a little bit, but I guess I'll respond in kind or something, depending on my mood or whoever said it first.

But *I* don't want to offend anyone. And yeah, maybe it's a little petty to be *offended* just because someone doesn't wish you well with the terms you would prefer, I'd rather not assume that everyone will react well to something that *might* imply they are Christian. Personally I think it's fairly ridiculous that people would actually get so worked up over something so small, but I use Happy Holidays to try to "keep the peace" as it were.

Exactly. I don't give a hoot about what anyone says to me, I'll smile and reply back with whatever is convenient.

On my end, I'll let a "Merry Christmas" slip every once in a while, but I consciously try to say "Happy Holidays" because I know that Christianity isn't the center of the universe and that there are so many other interesting religions out there that I would hate to offend.

"Happy Holidays" makes me feel like I'm not offending anyone. Whether they be Christian or Jewish or Pagan or WHATEVER, I hope no one is offended by the term. I can't speak for others, but in my case it is honestly a gesture of good will and kindness that comes with the holiday season. I won't judge you for saying "Merry Chirstmas", either, my words are my choice and I'm not going to change what you're saying if it's all in good spirit.