Riverwillows

"Happy Holidays" vs "Merry Christmas"

@Spike: Yeah, but the point of this thread is that not everyone has that tradition. And apparently some people get offended when other people talk about traditions they don't share.

Honestly I don't even get why others get upset over that. I'm sure not everyone in this world holds the same beliefs so I don't get why it's so bad that people celebrate differently at Christmas.

I think it has to do with people not wanting others' beliefs forced on them. They seem to think that by saying "Merry Christmas" you're saying that Christmas is about Christ, rather than just saying that there is a holiday going on. I've had a couple people get upset at me calling it Christmas, rather than saying "Holiday Season"

I would also like to point out that wishing people a merry Christmas in a Christian-dominated country is understandable, perhaps even proper. For example, the graph below represents religious affiliation in the United States. (source)

user posted image

Since the vast majority (94.6%) are Christian or no religion (many of whom celebrate a secular Christmas holiday), "Merry Christmas" is indeed the appropriate greeting to give to most people in the United States. While it is regrettable that those of other religions may feel left out by such a greeting, it's much the same as how banks have those pens on chains on the right, or keyboards have the number pad on the right despite inconveniencing left-handed people: It is appropriate for the majority (90% of people are right-handed).

In fact, since some Christians in the US get offended at the term "Happy holidays," maybe you have less chance of offending with "Merry Christmas." If one Christian in ten gets slightly irked at "Happy Holidays," that's 7.85% of people overall, vs. the 4.6% that are of non-Christian faiths.

Just for the record, I live in the United States, am not Christian, and usually say "Happy Holidays" to people in December, unless I am in a small town or village in a conservative area, in which case I say "Merry Christmas."

Edited by Tecca

Well, if you say "Merry Christmas" to someone and they hear "I think this holiday is purely Christian and trying to convert you to Christianity", or if you say "happy holidays" and they hear "I am purposely offending you by referring generally to a holiday shared by several religions and not with your holiday name specifically", then...who's really wrong here? Am I really obligated to change my greeting because some people somehow extract these meanings from them?

If I know what the person celebrates, I wish them joy in that. If a stranger wishes me anything, I reply with the phrase they used. If I don't know what someone celebrates, then it's unlikely that I would address them about it in the first place because it's difficult for me to be the first to talk to someone. I don't really give out holiday greetings unless the other person does so first or I'm already very familiar with them.

I don't feel like anyone should be offended, because wishing someone happiness is (or should be) the purpose behind the saying, not religious conversion or insults. And if someone did say it in a purposefully scathing way, then they probably aren't worth a response.

If I remember correctly I think Christians made holidays like Christmas (Easter/Ishtar) on they same day/period as Yule to try to make the "pagans" feel like they "related to them" but didn't. More like a conversion method that they used to make pagans feel like "hey they aren't as different as us" or something along those lines.

What bothers me the most is when I'm told I shouldn't celebrate "christmas" because I'm not a christian so therefore all I want from the holiday is gifts (frankly, for the past few YEARS I've even told that I don't WANT ANYTHING for Christmas or whatever they call it). That or I'm not celebrating it for the "right reasons" (jesus supposed birth in December)

Edited by BlightWyvern

Ah, the holiday season debate. To that, I say that I have more important battles to fight.

This is my favorite time of year. Halloween, Thanksgiving, Xmas, etc. All are fine holidays meant for merriment and joy. I don't give a damn what they are called. I, too, am not religious. Spiritual, yes. Religious? Not a chance. Take that and do with it as you will.

The one thing that aggravates me about "what to call a holiday" is the whole "Xmas" debate. The "X" is not "X-ing" Christ out of the word. People should do a bit of research on what that "X" actually means and how it is pronounced. I'm pretty a lot of people would feel pretty stupid. wink.gif

The one thing that aggravates me about "what to call a holiday" is the whole "Xmas" debate. The "X" is not "X-ing" Christ out of the word. People should do a bit of research on what that "X" actually means and how it is pronounced. I'm pretty a lot of people would feel pretty stupid. wink.gif

Wait, people get upset about that? O_o That's a new one.

I know, right?? There was this HUGE campaign in my town about this crap, complete with bumper stickers and everything declaring "DON'T X CHRIST OUT OF CHRISTMAS!!"

It's hilarious the things people choose to get offended over, I swear.

Honestly. Some people. They need to look into what they're saying before they say it.

What bothers me the most is when I'm told I shouldn't celebrate "christmas" because I'm not a christian so therefore all I want from the holiday is gifts (frankly, for the past few YEARS I've even told that I don't WANT ANYTHING for Christmas or whatever they call it). That or I'm not celebrating it for the "right reasons" (jesus supposed birth in December)

I find that foolish as Christmas can mean different things to different people for whatever reason. To some it is Santa/presents/snowmen/etc, to others it is religious, and yet to others it is family and friends and kindness to others. My Christmas tends to be a bundle of it all.

I personally will often say Merry Christmas, but I am not against the other sayings. I just grew up with Merry Christmas (and considering the small towns I've lived in, it was in general more appropriate). But, if I am given a happy holidays, a Happy Chanukkah, or whatever, I will appreciate the sentiment and well wishes.

ALl this thread made me do was facepalm. I mean come on really? You honestly take offense when someone says Merry Christmas? I have many other religioned friends who I say Merry Christmas to regularly. They say Happy Quanza, Happy Ramadan, Happy Hanukkah, all of that to me. I say my holiday back to them. It is enriching us, we are actually learning about eachother's cultures. If my Muslim friends never said that to me I'd have no idea what they celebrate. Being exposed to different cultures helps us.

I admit I've not read the whole thread - but I'd just like to throw out there that 'holidays' doesn't have the same meaning (at least in the part of the UK I'm in) that it seems to in the US. To me 'Happy Holidays!' is what you say to someone when they're off on, well, holiday for the summer. So from a UK perspective the use of 'Happy Holidays' at Christmas time is a US import that irritates me more than a tad.

I admit I've not read the whole thread - but I'd just like to throw out there that 'holidays' doesn't have the same meaning (at least in the part of the UK I'm in) that it seems to in the US. To me 'Happy Holidays!' is what you say to someone when they're off on, well, holiday for the summer. So from a UK perspective the use of 'Happy Holidays' at Christmas time is a US import that irritates me more than a tad.

xd.png That's great. Yeah, around here we mean holiday as in Christmas, Valentines, and Halloween.

I thought the origin for "Happy Holidays" was an atheist thing the try to remove the word Christmas from greetings because it was offensive. Not something by people of other religions because they have other holidays they celebrate and they want to be included. It's given me a slightly different perspective on things. I'm still gonna say Merry Christmas, but I think I'll have an easier time of not getting upset when people say Happy Holidays.

Also, when people say it first, I usually say, "And you." Same for any other blessing any other time of year.

ahh i've pretty much always said merry christmas because it's just natural to me by now? ;u; i've never had anybody get offended by it but i also don't know anybody at least irl who doesn't celebrate christmas because i. don't really know anybody that isn't a family member irl.

i'm not really sure what my thoughts on the debate are since i honestly didn't really know it was a thing until maybe a few years ago?? but i mean i don't really mind what anybody says to me if they say happy holidays or any other holiday they celebrate ;u; but i guess if somebody didn't want me to say merry christmas to them i'd say happy holidays

although i've never been religious so i guess i never really associated merry christmas with religion??

aaaa i dont know

Finally found this thread. Wow, since it is nearing winter season again. A nice topic indeed.

ohmy.gif Anyway, I can't believe people that are Christians keep on correcting other Christians to say "Merry Christmas" instead of "Happy Holidays". I mean it's fine to say "Happy Holidays"

Also, I would like to add how some are against writing "Xmas" and would impose to write "Christmas". Both are accepted right? sad.gif Can someone clarify this?

ohmy.gif Anyway, I can't believe people that are Christians keep on correcting other Christians to say "Merry Christmas" instead of "Happy Holidays". I mean it's fine to say "Happy Holidays"

See, I've always felt the opposite way. That to be politically correct, it's not okay to say 'Merry Christmas' to random strangers because of the fact that Christmas is a religious based holiday and not everyone is Christian. I work in retail and always have to be sure I say 'Happy Holidays' to customers because of this.

Now, I have nothing against saying 'Happy Holidays'. But, I find it refreshing to hear 'Merry Christmas' every once in a while because, for me personally, it is a religious time of year.

Between the two holiday greetings, I feel it's hypocritical to be offended either way. They are both positive wishes to the recipient.

See, I've always felt the opposite way. That to be politically correct, it's not okay to say 'Merry Christmas' to random strangers because of the fact that Christmas is a religious based holiday and not everyone is Christian. I work in retail and always have to be sure I say 'Happy Holidays' to customers because of this.

To me it should be by area. If you live in a divers area, sure, say Happy Holidays. But I live in an area that is largely Christian, and of those who aren't, the majority celebrate Christmas. More in the area are offended by saying Happy Holidays than there are those who are offended by saying Merry Christmas. In other words, if my goal is to avoid offense, saying Merry Christmas would be better because fewer people are offended by it where I live.

Over here we call them vacations, it was pretty confusing to me at first when I first heard the UK use of holiday (the movie chicken run)

Over here we call them vacations, it was pretty confusing to me at first when I first heard the UK use of holiday (the movie chicken run)

Yeah, I've enough US relatives to know you call them vacations. But knowing what the word holiday actually means in the UK I hope you can understand why over here it reeks of being an overly-PC US import.

Correct non-denominational greetings in the UK would be 'Seasons Greetings'! Which I have no problem with. But 'Happy Holidays'? Sure to make me want to strangle someone.

Correct non-denominational greetings in the UK would be 'Seasons Greetings'! Which I have no problem with. But 'Happy Holidays'? Sure to make me want to strangle someone.

And over here, that would seem a bit formal... I'll remember that if I'm ever in the UK during Christmas though.

Just my 2 cents worth here... I don't have a problem with anyone wishing me a happy Christmas/Hannukah/Holidays/Festivus or whatever. I'll wish it back, even! It's correcting me to use what you prefer that annoys me.

And over here, that would seem a bit formal... I'll remember that if I'm ever in the UK during Christmas though.

Just my 2 cents worth here... I don't have a problem with anyone wishing me a happy Christmas/Hannukah/Holidays/Festivus or whatever. I'll wish it back, even! It's correcting me to use what you prefer that annoys me.

You'd get away with it if you had an American accent wink.gif So I wouldn't worry too much. Seasons Greetings, to be fair, is usually used in cards and rarely by people.

You'd get away with it if you had an American accent wink.gif So I wouldn't worry too much. Seasons Greetings, to be fair, is usually used in cards and rarely by people.

tongue.gif Ah right.. I forgot the "Seasons Greetings"

See, I think saying "Happy Holidays" or "Seasons Greetings" is like saying "Appropriate remark."

So if it's christmas, I say "Merry Christmas" if it's easter, I say "Happy Easter." If someone walked up to me and said "Happy Hannukah" I wouldn't be offended. It's what they celebrate!