LOTR meets Stargate

((In regards to the order and translator thing… Well, hadn’t really given any thought to those, so I’m good with whatever you guys decide. wink.gif ))

~~ Cheyenne Mountain~~

Tearing his gaze from the stargate, Alex turned his attention back to the others. “Wormhole X-Treme?” he asked with a somewhat incredulous tone. “Yeah, that show was…umm…interesting.” He remembered his sister making him watch the series last Thanksgiving, and he had found it to be a bit cheesy. He remembered thinking that the premise was ridiculously implausible…Or was it? “Wait,” he said as realization hit, “that show wasn’t based this, was it?”

~~Middle Earth~~

Brod nodded at the scout’s statement, but was still too shocked to turn his attention away from the light. However, when he heard Garik’s voice ask, “What devilry is this?” Brod glanced to see that the commanders had come to see what was going on, but it was apparent that they hadn’t seen the surge of light. Still a little shaken, Brod looked back to the stone ring with wide eyes and could only say, “I cannot say.”

[lol - wonder what the reaction to the creator being an alien will be.]

--- SGC ---

Carter turned her attention back to Alex,

"Indirectly - the creator and director of that show is an alien."

Somehow - possibly due to her military training, she managed to make that statement in a matter-of-fact tone and with a perfectly straight face, Perfectly straight that is, unless they knew her well enough to know when she's supressing amusement.

((No word from Syiren yet I take it? sad.gif ))

Alex’s jaw dropped at that statement. “You’re kidding, right?” he asked in an incredulous tone, but after a moment’s thought, he added, “You know, that…almost makes sense. Always said no normal person could come up with that. But wait, if it’s based on this, why on Earth did they turn it into such a cheese-fest?”

Although nobody saw it, Daniel rolled his eyes a little in the direction of Jack's retreating form. Jack, cheesy? Nooo.... of course not, Daniel thought, with sarcasm, amusement, and fondness.

Daniel looked at Alex over his shoulder and gave him a tiny shrug, then turned back toward Jack and followed him up the ramp.

[syri said she'd have a post up by the weekend.... shall I give her another poke?]

Carter considered her reply as she made her last mental checks before going through the gate.

"I would imagine to appeal to a certain audience - after all O'Neill is no Captain Kirk." She quipped, referring to the fact that his X-Treme analogue was often similar in attitude with the ladies as the original Star Trek Captain.

Though in doing so she basically admitted to watching the show - or perhaps the fact she was a Trekkie.

"Besides its only loosely based on his fogged memories of his first meeting with us. Perhaps he thought we were 'cheesy', or something." And she did secretly agree with Monroe's complaint of not getting to kiss anyone, not that she'd ever admit it. After all if Colonel Danning flirted with alien females - why not his own 2IC?

Lets not go there..... she rebuked her wandering thoughts, starting up the ramp herself.

[Well Carter is a geek - even though its never actually said in canon, I see no reason for her not to like Star Trek or Wormhole X-Treme in spite of its 'cheesiness'. tongue.gif]

Edited by Takhesis

((In regards to Syiren…part of me says “sure poke away”, but the other part worries about appearing to be pushy. So, I just don’t know. unsure.gif ))

At Carter’s explanation, Alex could only chuckle as he said, “Fair enough, I suppose.” He started to follow the others up the ramp, but then, even though he hadn’t known O’Neill long, he couldn’t help but give a wry grin as he added, “Not sure that I’d peg him as Captain Picard either.” He was aware that he was using the banter to try to cover his nervousness, but he hoped it wasn’t that obvious to the others.

((OOC: I like the idea of having everyone here, of course, but my main concern is just keeping the pace going, so that we have an appropriate action/talking ratio going on, if that makes sense.))

[Makes perfect sense to me - it is easy to NPC Teal'c as he really says anything or does anything unexpected. Not so with O'Neill however - especially as it seems Carter and Alex are poking fun at him....... hmmmmm I think if Syri hasn't replied by the weekend I'll make something up for him to say just to get moving.]

((OOC: I was also thinking of someone anyone could do (as I assume not everyone should take over saying something for a missing player's character) - have their character watch the missing player's character take an action that's obvious. I was a bit with Jack but I've been forgetting to do that with Teal'c, but maybe that would be another way.))

[True - but I doubt O'Neill would let Carter get away with her comments without some form of retaliation tease - at the very least.]

((Yeah… Jack doesn’t seem like the kind of person who would let their remarks simply slide smile.gif … Guess at this point, Takhesis’s plan sounds good to me.))

((OOC: If I have to do any of that I'd probably do paraphrasing as I'm more comfortable with it - so something like (hypothetical example) "Daniel was amused at Jack's snarky reply", or something a bit more fleshed out if required but still not directly speaking for another.))

[Just to get things shifting slightly ..... and even if they did notice banter was cover for nerves - I doubt any of them would call on it.]

O'Neill paused as he made his way up the ramp, while perfectly aware of his team's talk - he had sort of filtered the chat when it turned to Wormhole X-Treme.

He could appreciate the wonder of the gate, but science talk didn't really appeal to him. That wasn't what made him stop - what made him stop and turn was Carter's comparing him to Kirk - or not as the case may be.

What is it? Tease O'Neill day?! He thought and very nearly said when Alex joined in with the Picard quip.

At least that one was easier to reply to,

"I should hope not - I have more hair." He said to Alex, in a joking tone, then turning to his 2IC:

"I'm no Captain Kirk?" His tone took on a hint of mock hurt, though his eyes still held mirth and the question - Just how far do you want to push this? - as he continued, "Don't you think I'm charming enough to compare, Major?"

----

Carter continued up the ramp as she replied;

"I never said that sir." She paused alongside him - making sure she wasn't blocking anyone else's path. At that point, her courage started to fail her - even though she knew he was easier going than most CO's - she still didn't want to push her luck too far.

Deliberately keeping her tone light, she clarified her position: "It's just that you have more luck than him." And me... "In the fact that your love interests don't die." She tried not to think of Laira as she said the pluralisation, not very successfully - and hoped that no-one could detect the slight jealousy that coloured the phrase.

[she had to say it.... silly Sam Carter - you do not open that door not even in jest!]

Alex chuckled at O’Neill’s retort and was about to mention that he couldn’t see the Colonel staying on the Enterprise instead of going on the away missions. However, before he could O’Neill then turned his attention to Carter, and Alex briefly raised an eyebrow in curiosity. He knew there was a lot he was missing there, but felt that it really wasn’t any of his business, so he didn’t ask. However, as he stopped a little behind the others, Carter’s words had him wondering if he should be comparing O’Neill to Commander Riker, and he couldn’t help but give a small grin.

[if O'Neill is Riker.... wouldn't that make Carter Deanna Troi? Actually that does fit - oddly enough - Deanna is half human, half betazoid and Carter isn't technically fully human after Jolinar......

I'm putting too much thought into that. Will wait for Daniel's response to the exchange before moving on. I can guess Teal'c's.]

[Will wait for Daniel's response to the exchange before moving on.]

(OOC: I have a PM for you about this but your message box is full. Could you please PM me when you have room?))

[Well since Daniel is going to ignore Sam's little slip up.... wonder whether Jack and Alex will? Not a chance considering O'Neill's personality.]

Colonel Jack O'Neill, while fond of playing dumb - on occasion, was actually a very astute man and he didn't miss the slight change in Carter's tone as she traded banter with him. She can't think that? It's not possible - is it? Can she really? Then he internally smirked, I could have so much fun with this.... That was assuming that Carter didn't deck him for it, of course, and he knew she was capable of kicking his ass if he did offend her.

With a typically rakish grin, he put on his best Irish brogue;

"It seems that I may have been remiss in my attentions - allow me to make amends." With an arm gesture towards the gate, he inclined his head in a mock bow, as he did so he caught sight of Alex's amused grin. "Ladies first."

Carter shook her head at his antics, her amusement in her tone perfectly clear as she continued up the ramp. Presumably followed by the rest.

"You're a nut, sir."

Teal'c being used to the antics - if not quite understanding them - of the Tau'ri, merely raised his eyebrow:

"Indeed," was the last word heard as he stepped through the event horizon in his customary position of taking point. Granted that did make O'Neill's last comment rather odd, but was it not the duty of a gentleman to ensure a ladies' safety? Even if the lady in question was a combat-trained Air Force Officer.

[Oops, looks like Teal'c may be getting a sense of humour...]

Daniel followed through the gate, glad he was back with his team and that he was getting the opportunity to work with someone new who seemed like a good fit.

~~ Cheyenne Mountain~~

Watching the others go through the gate, Alex found himself having some trouble believing that this was really happening. He half expected to walk through the gate only to find that it was just a curtain of water and everyone laughing on the other side. However, two things helped him brush those thoughts away; 1) he knew of no technology that could manipulate water into the ‘cloud’ he’d seen with his own eyes; and 2) he simply wasn’t important enough for such an elaborate and expensive prank.

He approached the gate with the intention of walking through just as casually as the others had. However, as he drew nearer, he faltered in awe. Tentatively reaching out a hand, he briefly ran it along the surface of the wormhole for a moment but then he remembered Carter’s advice. With a glance at O’Neill, he gave a small shake of his head as he said, “Here goes…” He then took a deep breath and held it as he stepped through the gate.

~~Middle Earth~~

Still staring at the stone circle, Brod was at first a little startled when people started to appear out of the strange light, but he recovered quickly enough to drop down to the ground to hopefully avoid being seen by these strangers. “So,” he said quietly as he tightened his grip on his axe, “the Enemy is summoning new allies…”

[Heehee Alex inadvertently did the same thing Carter did - though at least he was prewarned of O'Neill's potential reaction.]

--- Gateroom/Transit ---

O'Neill caught the small glance that Alex threw his way, he was half-tempted to do the very thing Carter had warned Alex about. The only thing that caused his hesitation was the sense of deja-vu, Carter had been equally fascinated by the active wormhole as Alex seemed to be - though perhaps for very different reasons.

At least this time, the 'scientist' - same thing as 'geek' in his mind - didn't need the extra incentive to get moving.

The effect of the wormhole was - as usual - cold and felt like a rollercoaster on steroids.

On the other side, Carter moved to check the MALP's most current read-outs while Teal'c performed a quick scan of the surrounding area - mentally comparing the photos in the mission folder to the scene before him.

The gate shut off behind them.

--- Middle Earth ---

"So it seems." Eretta vocalised in a tone barely above an exhalation. She tightened her grip on her bow as she realigned the arrow to focus on the newcomers. Though she still remained aware of the Orcs on the other side of the ridge.

The Orcs however were less stealthy - or at least had less care - than the members of the Last Alliance. The stone ring's standing water had blinded them. Even worse, the pool of light had given birth to a group of humans before going out. The only things worse than humans to an orc's mind was elves....

The daylight made them cranky enough - so that was the proverbial last straw. With a guttural roar, the Orcs charged into the basin towards SG-1....

[Note Orcs cannot tell the difference between Jaffa and Tau'ri at long range.....]

Carter whipped round, her original plan of checking the MALP forgotten, automatically bringing her P-90 to bear on the approaching Orcs.

Teal'c immediately took a battle-ready stance - his staff pointing into the charging group. He knew his weapon did not have the same range as the Tau'ri guns, so he held his fire - at least for now.

O'Neill - having taken rear guard, took up a defensive position shielded by the ring structure. His eyes quickly took in the situation and the locations of his team.I know I wanted action, but this is ridiculous!

[Assuming Alex and Daniel haven't wandered anywhere - Carter is currently slightly 'isolated' from the rest of the group due to MALP location. Shame the Orcs will most likely mistake that to mean an easy target. tongue.gif]

Daniel grabbed Alex's vest and went with him behind the ring, saying "stay down" and hoping Alex would listen. He then readied his weapon.

First contact was always so much better when it, you know, didn't actually involve killing.

But there was only so much that diplomacy could do, and when you walked straight out of the gate into the face of an attacking force... even Daniel could recognize that that wasn't exactly the time for words.

Coming out of the gate, Alex stumbled a bit as he tried to regain his bearings. “Wow,” was all he could muster to say as the gate shut down. Straightening with a deep breath, he was about to ask Daniel if was always like that, or if he’d get used to it, but before he could say anything chaos erupted behind them. When he heard the roar, he spun around only to freeze in both terror and fascination at the creatures that were charging down at them.

Before he could really register what was happening, he was on the ground behind the ring dazedly nodding to Daniel’s words. Though he put his hand on his Taser, he knew that it would be useless against so many attackers, so he simply tried to make himself as small a target as possible. For the first time, he found himself seriously wishing he had declined the offer to join the Stargate Program. Looking around for a possible escape route, he noticed movement on the opposite ridge, and with a shaking hand, he pointed to the movement as he started, “Uh-” Before he could say anything else, more beings came charging into the depression.

As Brod watched these new enemies, he noticed the Rohirrim woman aiming her bow at them and he motioned for the Dwarven archers to do the same. He knew that they weren’t able to see what they were firing at, but figured that since these were clearly enemies, it didn’t matter; there were no allies around to be caught in the rain of arrows. However, just before he gave the order to fire, the roar of the Orcs had him motioning them to wait. “They are attacking?” he asked to no one particular.

“If they want them dead,” Garik said, “we want them alive…CHARGE!” With that, the Dwarves and Men spilled into the basin as well. Of course, those of the Rohirrim who were on horses easily outpaced everyone else, and not only reached the stone structure first, but passed it by to intercept the attacking Orcs. As Brod approached the ring, he motioned for several of those nearby to follow. While the rest of their forces parted to go around the stone ring, Brod and those who had followed him went to the structure as he shouted orders for some to watch the strangers and others to defend against any Orcs that might make it past the fighting.

Considering the charging Orcs, Eretta came to the same conclusion as Garik - there would be time to change their minds AFTER the immediate threat had been dealt with.

Whistling for her horse, she brought her bow up to fire at the back line - if it could be called a line - of Orcs. She didn't want to hit any allies after all. With practiced ease, she scooped up her other arrows and mounted in one smooth motion.

Instead of joining the rest in charging, she knew her skill in close combat was lacking, Eretta urged her horse on a more circular path. A flanking archer should be able to do some damage. After all, there was a possibility of enemy crossbows - and Orcs didn't care about friendly fire.

----

O'Neill had started firing into the Orcs, mentally cursing as he saw the bulk of them heading for Carter. Not that she couldn't defend herself of course - he just hated it when his team was spread out.

"Carter! Get back to the group, if you can." His last words were drowned out by the sounds of another charge. Great, what now?

Carter was also aware of the second charge coming from behind, but she couldn't spare a glance. The yelling Orcs were the greater threat at the moment - especially as she could easily get cut off from her back up.

Moving while firing wasn't, necessarily, a skill taught in Basic, but Carter was a fast learner; and previous trips off-world had proven a good training ground for 'unconventional' manoeuvres. Though the additional force did make it slow progress - if any was made at all.

Of course, the mounted warriors and the others without did eventually block firing lines.

Taking advantage of the cover, Carter rejoined the rest of SG-1 as Teal'c covered her retreat alongside some of the new arrivals.

[i'm assuming she wouldn't be blocked while there's still Orcs to fight lol]

As Alex pointed, Daniel turned his head towards the commotion behind them. He quickly saw that this group looked very different from the one in front of them, making it less likely that SG-1 was getting attacked on two fronts by one unified force, and more likely that they had stumbled into the middle of something.

It was good to see Sam rejoin the group and Alex continuing to keep his head down; further encouraging was how the new group began to engage the first one, proving Daniel's guess correct.

Getting caught in the middle of two forces wasn't Carter's idea of a good start to a mission - especially one with a new recruit joining them.

Now those forces were in close combat, she could spare some of her attention from the fighting - if only briefly. Her first glance was to see how Alex was holding up - not well, if his scrunched up stance was anything to go by. At least he was keeping his head down and not outwardly panicking.

The second thing she did was analyse the battle situation. Or she would be doing that if O'Neill hadn't caught her eye and made one of his traditionally sarcastic remarks:

"Great start to the mission, right Carter?"

Resisting the urge to roll her eyes, Carter managed to reply with just a hint of insubordinate snarkiness - only someone who knew her well would be able to detect it, though it could be mistaken for annoyance:

"Of course, sir." How did he know what I was thinking? Her eyes flicked back to the fighting, her soldiers' mind concentrating on finding clear firing lines and locating weak points.

Now she was really focussed, Carter thought she recognised the first attacking force, though the armour didn't resonate right with the idea:

"Unas?" She queried, half to the Colonel and half to Daniel. Those two had more dealings than she had with the race of 'first ones'. Though Teal'c may also be able to answer that question.