LOTR meets Stargate

((OOC: I am so sorry for the horrible late reply on my end. Too many things were going on online and offline at the same time and I just about lost my sanity. sad.gif On a better note, Welcome Daniel Jackson! This is going to be an exciting adventure. Also, I'd like to play Teal'c, since we can't have SG-1 without the big lug. happy.gif ))

O'Neill pocketed his hands as the he felt the elevator come to a stop. "Well if he's trying to hide his giddiness, he needs more practice."

As he waited for the doors to open he secretly wondered if he remembered to record the Simpsons.

((OOC: Yay for playing Teal'c! smile.gif

My edit was because I left out two words, oops.))

Daniel sighed.

Coming back through the gate only to go off-world again more or less right away wasn't usually fun; at least on this instance the activity would be a distraction from his disappointment.

So many worlds, the galaxy a playground for the curious.... Daniel was thankful to experience all these wonderful and exciting things, but often frustrated that he usually had time to get only the briefest of glimpses into such riches. Purely scientific or archeological missions were rare for him, and to have one of those cut short when it had promised so much would eat at him if he let it.

So. Time to try to refocus, to move forward. That was what he did, after all - the universe knocked him down, and he came right back to life again.

(Didn't mean he wouldn't get snippy about it, though.)

Edited by diaveborn

Brod entered the tent to hear Garik tell the messengers, “Well done, lads, but now needs must I give you a more difficult task… You will need to be among those who are staying to safeguard the camp. Now go get some rest, and that is an order.” As the younger Dwarves walked past Brod, he could tell that they weren’t exactly happy with the order, and he couldn’t exactly blame them. Of course, he understood the necessity of those two staying behind, and trusted that with time they’d come to understand as well.

“We are ready to march at your command,” Brod said. “What word from the Rohirrim?”

“They have dispatched some scouts,” Garik said, “and the greater number of their force should be marching soon as well.” He went to the map still on the table as he continued, “With luck, our forces will meet here, but if not, then at the source of the lights. Come then, let us show the Enemy that Durin’s Folk will not abide his evil.” Tucking his helm under his arm he exited the tent with Brod following behind him.

The two made their way to the head of the column, and once there they turned to face the company. Though he couldn’t see the faces behind the hideous armor masks, Brod knew who was behind each mask, and as he donned his own helm, he realized that he was truly honored to be drawing blades with these Dwarves. Garik had also put his helm on, and with a wave, started their march.

~In Cheyenne Mountain:

Alex was still lost, and was trying to figure out how to ask for directions without looking like an idiot when he heard what sounded a lot like an elevator ding. Taking another furtive glance around, he started to try to make his way to where he thought the sound came from.

Carter felt slightly guilty at poking fun at Daniel behind his back, even if it was mostly on the colonel's side rather than hers.

As the elevator stopped, she wondered what the new archaeologist would be like. That and how he'd react to O'Neill's apparent hostility to the 'egghead' branch of Cheyenne - of which she was informally the head.

Technically she was the head of the Science and Technology Department, due to her rank and background. Though Archaeology fell under Daniel's domain. She could pull rank on Daniel, but didn't unless there was a very good reason to.

"Ready to meet the new blood, sir?" she asked as the doors opened and she stepped through into the corridor. Perhaps it was best that both of us are present for first introductions. I can at least act as peace-keeper if things don't go well.

Carter was used to being the one in the middle, though she did try to avoid taking sides in any 'spirited disagreement' Daniel and O'Neill had.

[Daniel and Jack... little kids both when it comes to the arguments]

-- Middle-Earth --

The Rohirrim commander located the riders he needed, my liege will not like me doing this, but she is one of the best riders in this camp. And her archery skills are keeping the camp in fresh meat - so I have no need to fear for that.

Having gathered them, he issued their orders. Eretta saddled the horses while he gave some last minute instructions to the rest. He was covering his backside in the event her father got word of the mission.

The small group assembled, mounted, armed and ready they rode out into the dark towards their destination.

[basically the group's last minute orders are to keep Eretta out of trouble. Mainly as she was assigned there to keep her away from the fighting... unlikely to be achieved however.]

O'Neill followed Carter out of the elevator and shrugged his shoulders in his own comic way. "Oh~ I'm just bursting with anticipation."

Back on level twenty eight, Teal'c had arrived in the briefing room, awaiting the information on the upcoming mission when he witnessed the Stargate's activation and watched Daniel return. Since the others had not arrived yet, he took the liberty of greeting his friend.

As he approached the archaeologist he noticed the disappointment on his face. "Did everything not go according to plan Daniel Jackson?" He asked in a curious greeting.

((OOC: If you need me to fill out a sign up sheet for Teal'c I can do that.))

"Hey, Teal'c - um, not really," said Daniel, with a frustrated little gesture. "We ran across some 'unexpected seismic activity'." His tone made it evident that he now held a very deep disdain for mission-interrupting earthquakes.

"It was all pretty minor, really - we're all fine - but the ruins were so precarious that they completely collapsed." He raised his eyebrows, not in surprise but to say 'so, here I am.'

Hoping that it would explain why he may have seemed ‘distracted’, Alex still had his folder open in front of him as he was walking. Rounding a corner, he looked up as he caught the tail end of what someone was saying. The man and woman standing there seemed somewhat familiar, and looking back down to the folder, he realized that he recognized them from the information he’d been provided.

At the thought that without having to ask, he had found not only the elevators, but also two of the people who may have been sent to find him, a look of relief flashed across his face, but then he gave a friendly smile as he approached them saying, “Ah, you must be Colonel O’Neill and Major Carter.” He briefly wondered if he was supposed to salute them, but quickly figured that since he wasn’t military, it wouldn’t be appropriate. Offering his hand with the intent of giving each a handshake in turn, he said, “I’m Dr. Alex Honami. I’m looking forward to working with you.”

Edited by starphyre77

[i'm happy for Teal'c not to have a sheet. Though perhaps a note in the OP that he's been taken might be an idea?]

Major Carter was more used to the formal non-military greeting - mainly because most of the techies weren't military, so she extended her own hand for the offered handshake.

"You'd be correct, Doctor Honami." She confirmed his assumption of identities, "It's good to have you on board."

((Yeah, pretty much a bump. wink.gif ))

~~Middle Earth~~

As the Dwarves marched, Brod found himself wondering what these mysterious lights were. Was the Enemy creating a new weapon? Was he conjuring new powers? Was he summoning new allies? Whatever it was, they would face it, and destroy it, but he just wished they knew more what to expect…

((OOC: Alright, should I Pm the host of the RP, or?))

Teal'c titled his head and raised his eye brow. "...I see, that is most unfortunate."

As he prepared to head back into the briefing room he turned back towards his friend. "Are you still able to embark on another mission? I was on my way to the briefing of the mission to PX35-271. O'Neill and Major Carter have not yet arrived with the new archeologist."

-----------------

Jack ignored the newbie's hand and nodded towards his cap. "A baseball fan I see, I prefer the Cubs myself."

With his own special greeting out of the way he took a quick glance at his watch. "Well, now that we've got our little meet 'n greet out of the way, what do ya say we get back down to level twenty eight and start that meeting?"

The colonel was antsy and a new mission always brought the hopes of a challenge. Of course he didn't want there to be an army of Jaffa waiting on the other side of the gate, but a little fire fight here and there wasn't too much to ask for.

Edited by Syiren

Having known the mission schedule, Daniel had been planning on going with SG-1, but Teal'c's question made him pause. Maybe he should just go home instead, take a nice relaxing bath or something, and come in fresh tomorrow.

Oh, who was he kidding? As much as Jack gave him grief for, as he put it, wanting to run off on missions with other teams (who were far too geeky and who wouldn't take care of him properly, Jack would add pointedly), Daniel actually didn't like being away from his own team for too long.

And of course, meeting Dr. Honami really should be fun....

"Wouldn't miss it. I might be a little late but I'll see you in the briefing room," he told Teal'c, and headed off in the direction of the locker and medical areas.

“Thanks, you can just call me Alex,” Alex said, as he shook Major Carter’s hand, and at Colonel O’Neill’s greetings of sorts, he gave a smile as he added, “Yeah, the Cubs are good, but I’ll always be a Rockies guy. After you.” He motioned to the elevator. “So,” he said talking to both of them, “okay, I don’t mean to be disrespectful here, but what do I call you? I mean, should I call you Major Carter and Colonel O’Neill? Or Sir and Ma’am? Or…what?” Realizing how goofy that must have sounded, he looked a little sheepish as he added, “Sorry, I don’t know the proper etiquette here…”

[so tempted to go into the Doctor/military rank thing that Carter did in the first episode.... though I suspect if she did O'Neill wouldn't be impressed...]

Carter considered Alex's question as she turned towards the elevator, that question has quite a few answers - especially when it comes to me. Quite a few of the civilian staff do call me Doctor Carter rather than Major, though both are correct. Then again Daniel just calls me Sam...

"Ranks are the expected form of address, though other honorifics are used." Carter began, "Especially with non-military personnel - such as yourself."

['No need for a lecture, Carter!']

Alex looked a bit puzzled by Major Carter’s answer, and then with a small chuckle he said, “Well…That’s a nicely vague answer.” Giving her a smile, he added, “So, let’s try the direct route. How would you like me to address you?”

Teal'c slightly bowed in acknowledgement as Daniel left the Gate room. The jaffa made his way back to the briefing room where he stood by the large glass window with his arms folded behind his back and looking down at the Stargate.

-----------

"I'll settle for, 'You're royal highness'." Jack replied to Alex's question about proper titles. Then, after a look from Carter he changed his answer. "All the other science geeks address me as Colonel O'Neill. It's probably best if you do the same. Daniel's the only one who fully ignores this rule."

Jack knew he was pushing it with the 'science geek' comment, but he was confident that Carter knew he meant no disrespect towards her as she had an overwhelming 'Kool side' with military training to back it up.

"Lets stick with the ranks for now." Carter said to Alex, having given O'Neill one of her 'no messing with the new kid' looks at his joking self proclaimed title.

Carter knew what he meant by science geek but couldn't help adding - in a tongue-in-cheek sort of way:

"That's not quite true, Colonel. I can think of one science geek that sometimes just uses 'sir' to address you."

[Eh semantics.... and as long as she remains respectful in her phrasing - she can just about get away with it.]

Listening to Carter and O’Neill, Alex gave a small chuckle at the ‘science geek’ crack, but some of what they were saying seemed to be a bit of an inside joke for them, so he simply said, “Gotcha.” He’d never really been one for formality, but since he was working with the military now, he figured it was time to play the ‘when in Rome’ game. “Well, like I said, you can call me Alex if you want, but if you’d rather stick with Doctor Honami… whatever floats your bo-“ He cleared his throat. “I mean, whichever you prefer.” He was going to leave it at that, but found himself unable to resist, and with a wry smirk, he added, “Although, Colonel O’Neill, if you’d like, I’ll call you ‘You’re Royal Highness’ if you call me ‘You’re Lordship’.”

"Alright, most of them." Jack corrected himself. As the elevator doors opened O'Neill raised an eye brow at Alex. It was a bad joke, but he sensed hope for the rookie. The newbie had also gained a bit of respect.

"Stick around here long enough and you'll fit in just fine." He said with a casual smirk.

At Jack’s response, Alex’s smirk grew to a genuine smile as he said, “Thanks Colonel O’Neill. I really hope to.” There was unmistakable eagerness in his tone as this was truly an opportunity beyond anything he would have once thought possible. He was certainly hoping to ‘stick around’ for quite the while.

[Hmmm not much going on in LoTRworld - except travel, so timeskip to briefing room for SG-1?]

((OOC: I've seen the Lord of the Rings movies, but I haven't seen the Hobbit and I haven't read the books. That's why I didn't offer to create a character for that side of the RP, I didn't want to write something that was out of place. btw, have you guys seen the preview for the new Hobbit movie? Orlando Bloom is back...*squee*! biggrin.gif Anywayz, I'm all set for the Briefing room.))

((OOC: Daniel would probably be a bit late for the briefing as he'd need to stop by the locker room to put his stuff down and the medical area for a post-mission checkup, I'm assuming, but he'll be there. I could jump in towards the beginning but I totally don't mind having someone else say they see him come in after a few minutes or something like that.

Haven't seen the preview, but I'd heard about Orlando Bloom being in it and I think that'll be awesome. :D Haven't heard anything else - hate spoilers so don't want to, heh!))