((Hopes O'Neill isn't taken))

Name: Colonel Jack O'Neill

Species: Human

Universe: Stargate

Appearance:

*hair: dark with a little grey

*eyes: hazel

*skin: white

*height: 5 ft 8-ish (he's shorter then Teal'c)

*weight: 195-210 lbs. (without the P-90: "Feel the weight of that sucker")

*build: fit enough, knee's a little stiff.

*clothes: standard military camo uniform. Either green or sandy brown. Sometimes wears a hat.

*weapon: P-90, sometimes a Zat (Ask Teal'c for the full name), and a 9 mil as a backup.

Personality: Aside from being the jokester, he thinks out of the box and sees things at things at their simplest. He sometimes talks back to his superiors and has a strong sense of morals.

History: After the death of his son, who had shot himself with Jack's personal gun, O'Neill took the first mission through the Stargate because he thought it would be suicide. After defeating the Evil Go'al-uld Ra and a little help from Daniel Jackson, his view on life changed and he returned to earth. A year later he was back out of retirement and heading the SGC's flagship team, aka SG-1. It was O'Neill that turned Teal'c from first prime to their trusted team mate. Jack also earned the trust of the Asguard, not to mention saving their 'cute little grey butts' from the replicators. O'Neill has been through a lot in a few years, including being tortured by the system lord, Ba'al and he's still going strong.

Other: He loves the Simpsons and will often quote some of Homer's lines. His hobby is astronomy and he was disappointed when the Air force named the X-303 Prometheus instead of the Enterprise.

((If O'Neill is taken may I have Daniel Jackson instead?))

((Ou~ That's tempting, but I think I'll wait and see if someone else wants to play him first. I love how the two characters interact and wouldn't want to hog all of the fun. Though, I could temporary play him if needed. and thanks for accepting, I'm glad I have all of the seasons of SG-1 on DVD. ^^))

[Yay someone else is heading the team - O'Neill is not taken, lol I took Carter - the eternal science geek tongue.gif... We have do have an OC archaeologist - so we could say Daniel's dead again for purpose of RP? Or we could have the two just for the lolz.

Don't forget the whole team interactions are fun. I can almost see Carter rolling her eyes at the Daniel-Jack banter - she's just too disciplined to actually do that (At least where there's a chance of being caught at it lol).

Then of course - O'Neill tells her to use plain English and not technobabble - when he actually understands more than he lets on - just to see if he can rile Carter up.]

Edited by Takhesis

((Well, Daniel could be with another team on another mission. That's happened on the show before. And as for the interactions, I love the whole interactions between all the SG-1 members. The show as a whole is awesome. I just didn't like Seasons 9 and 10 that much. "Carter! I haven't had coffee. Are you about to tell me, you can make that thing do that thing?...That's all I need."))

[Okies - I'll start off in the briefing room - since that seems the easiest point. Also Teal'c - the Jaffa of SG-1 doesn't generally say much.]

Carter sat in her usual seat in the briefing room - reading through the MALP telemetry reports on PX35-271. The planet was their next exploration target.

Carter wasn't one to 'go blind', so to speak. Neither was the General - which was why a MALP always went first.

At one page she paused, looking at the pictures the on-board camera had taken of a runic language, briefly she wished that Daniel was there rather than with SG-7. He had a very childish delight in translating the various languages they'd encountered.

Then she remembered, There's a new archaeologist joining us for this mission - I probably should meet him at the base entrance. Closing the file, Carter glanced at the clock - Still 15 mins before briefing starts. That gives enough time for a meet-and-greet.

Carter remembered her first time at Stargate Command, the place was a maze - for anyone that had no previous military experience. The Pentagon wasn't easy to navigate to start with either.

She made her way to the elevators to the surface. Wonder what this new recruit will make of the security and the base? Not to mention Gate travel.

[O'Neill could intercept her - or she could get to the surface to see Alex dealing/getting frustrated with the entry check point.]

Edited by Takhesis

The opening elevator doors would reveal a slightly annoyed Colonel Jack O'Neill who was trying to solve that morning's crossword puzzle without much luck. Eleven down was suppose to be Summit, he had written 'bite me'.

He looked up from the paper, realizing the elevator had stopped. "Carter." He said in a greeting. "Aren't we suppose to be at a briefing?" He quickly looked down to check his watch.

((If Teal'c is needed I could play him temporarily.))

[True - I just assumed Teal'c would be performing Kelnoreem before heading to briefing.]

"Colonel." Carter returned the greeting, hiding a smile at his irritation at the paper, Must be trying the puzzle section again.

"Yes sir. Briefing starts in 14 minutes. I was just heading topside to meet our new archaeologist for the upcoming mission." She then answered O'Neill's query.... though he hadn't really asked where she was going.

"That's just what this base needs is another egg-head running around." He sighed, His voice thick with sarcasm. He folded up the paper, giving up on the crossword.

He stepped aside to let Carter enter the elevator, figuring he might as well go and meet the new guy.

"So what's Daniel's excuse for missing out on this mission. SG-7 find some new forgotten language that he needs to translate?" It was clear the colonel hadn't forgotten about the last time something like this had happened. "If Daniel gets nabbed by an Unas this time he can have someone else save his sorry butt."

Having made it through the entry checkpoint, Alex was taking a look around before heading to the elevator…Okay, he was lost, but he certainly wasn’t going to admit that. Pushing his Colorado Rockies baseball hat back for a moment, he rubbed his forehead in frustration, but then readjusting the hat, he opened the folder he was carrying to try to look like he knew what he was doing. Taking a glance around to hopefully get his bearings, he gave a slight, self-depreciating scoff as he thought, I can navigate ancient ruins, but I can’t do this? Looking back down to the folder, he thought, Yeah, this is going to make a great first impression.

((Were we thinking of having people nearby when they exit the gate, or would it be better if there's no one there?))

[Either could work - as long as they're not right in front of the gate when they come through... the Gate has a rather nasty vaporizing splash on activation. Plus the MALP would alert the team to any locals that are there - since radio signals go both ways through the wormhole...]

Joining the colonel in the elevator, Carter replied - ignoring the egghead comment, after all he seemed to get along fine with certain other 'eggheads'. That and she couldn't really call her superior officer on it, though she internally grinned, He still hasn't taken me up on that arm wrestling challenge...

"SG-7 found some ruins they believed to belong to the Ancients - and Daniel couldn't resist going along to find out whether that was true."

O'Neill smirked as he replied, "Like a kid in a candy store."

He tried to picture the look on Daniel's face when he heard about the ruin's origins. Ever since the colonel got his head grabbed by that Ancient time capsule Jackson had made it his number one goal to learn everything he could about the gate builders.

Jack secretly hoped this upcoming mission wouldn't turn out to be another geek's paradise. He hadn't seen any action on the last three missions and in all honesty, he was beginning to get a little bored.

"That was SG-7's opinion on Daniel's arrival too, sir." Carter remarked, keeping her own face straight as possible, trying not to hint that she'd had a very similar thought earlier.

Granted - it was O'Neill, he probably had already guessed which way her thoughts had gone.

The elevator seemed to go faster while the pair were talking. Which she knew was impossible - its speed remained the same, it was just the perception of time passing that changed.

((Archios, may I ask you to please update the history on Brod’s completed sheet? Also, I forgot to include the title ‘Dr.’ with Alex’s name, so if you feel it relevant, could you add that as well? Thanks. smile.gif

Sorry that this post is a little long, but it kind of ran away on me. I’m honestly a little uncertain of how Middle Earth would/should be, so if this doesn’t mesh with what you guys have in mind, please let me know, and I’ll gladly edit as needed.))

~Elsewhere, earlier on PX35-271…

Night was falling, and Brod stood at the table in the commander, Garik’s tent as they listened to the Elven scout’s report. After the scout had left, the four Dwarves in the tent were silent as they considered the report and regarded the map on the table. “So,” Garik said at last, “Whatever those mysterious lights were, the Enemy is clearly moving forces to it… We have to assume that their intent is to defend whatever their master is conjuring.” With a heavy sigh, he turned away from the table, and looked instead to the banner which hung at the back of the tent. The banner was a chronicle of the company’s battles, and looking at it one could get the feel of both the victories and the warriors that were lost. With another sigh, he continued, “Given the numbers, the decision we face is do we move to intercept straight away, or do we wait for reinforcements?”

Brod followed his commander’s gaze to the banner, but at the question, he then looked to the others. He could see that while they were weary they were also filled with determination, and looking back to the map, he knew that the same determination was within him. He knew they would be outnumbered, but these reports of strange lights in such a remote region troubled him, and now the Enemy was on the move… All in all, things simply didn’t bode well. Moving to stand next to the older Dwarf, he said, “Frankly, I do not see that we can afford to wait.”

The other two Dwarves added their agreement, and Garik turned back to them with a look that not only mirrored their resolve, but also held unmistakable pride. Placing his hand on Brod’s shoulder her said, “Old Orm would be proud.” Going back to the table, they planned out their route and strategy. “That about covers everything,” he said at last. “Does anyone have anything to add?”

“What of the outpost of Men?” Brod asked pointing to said outpost’s location on the map.

“Ah yes, the Horse Lords,” Garik said, and then paused briefly in thought. “They will have no doubt been briefed by another Elven scout… There is no time to plan coordinated actions, but knowing each other’s plans would be helpful. Send two of our fastest runners to the outpost. They are to let them know of our plans and return with theirs with all haste. If there is nothing more, best get the camp abed; we march ere the break of dawn.”

With that the three left Garik’s tent, and while the others went to relay the orders, Brod went to find the runners he had in mind to send to the outpost.

Edited by starphyre77

[That looks fine to me - after all Middle Earth is currently at war, and the races are allied against Sauron. Makes sense they'd know where each others bases are.]

Eretta rode back into the outpost as evening fell - fresh meat in tow from her last patrol - more a hunting task really. She would have preferred a more active post - but this place was her assignment, so she'd do her best to perform her duty.

She knew her father wouldn't approve of her solo outings - but the commander of the post, if not approved them - at least saw value in them.

After delivering the meat to the food stores for curing and preparation, Eretta tended to her mount. As she was doing so - an elven scout reported in. That's odd. Elven scouts don't normally report directly - they usually report to one of our scheduled patrols.

The break from routine caught her attention, and she followed the scout to the commander's tent. Knowing she wasn't allowed in to the meetings - she didn't exactly rank high enough, Eretta moved to the side of the tent. There she sat cross-legged - eavesdropping, though to divert suspicion she was fletching more arrows.

'Lights in the remote regions have been spotted - and the Dark Forces are also on the move towards the site. The lights didn't last long - but none of our Elders could identify them.'

That admission was enough for Eretta to give up the pretence of fletching and concentrate fully on the elf's words. Elven Elders were known to be wise - and if they didn't know what it was - then it could only mean trouble.

'My kin have been sent to the nearest camps of our Brothers-in-arms to inform them of this oddity. What you do with the information is - as always - your choice.' With a few parting pleasantries the scout left the tent - Eretta hastily picked her half-made arrows up.

The elf paused nearby - even if the commander hadn't noticed, his keen senses had picked out his eavesdropping shadow. Bending down - he retrieved one of the finished arrows and examined it:

"These feathers speak of a distracted and restless mind, yet the shafts balance is in harmony with the song of the bow." He offered the arrow back to Eretta, subtly letting her know he knew of her eavesdropping with his parting words:

"Be sure that the tide doesn't lead where you cannot follow."

Eretta sat, pondering the words while holding the returned arrow, before rising from her position and heading for the gates. If our allies know of this - they may yet request aid of sorts. Eretta was determined that she'd be among the investigating group - all she had to do was convince the commander she'd be of more use there than here...

“There you are, lads,” Brod said as he approached the two Dwarves he was looking for. “We need a message run to the outpost of Men. Tell them that we make for the source of these strange lights before dawn. Our intent is to waylay the Enemy’s forces, and put an end to whatever evil he is planning.” He pulled out a small map, and traced a line as he said, “this is the route we will be taking.” He handed them the map. “Any assistance they can give would be welcome, but time is of the essence, thus we cannot afford to wait. Got all that?” Getting confirmation that they did, he added, “Once you have relayed the message, return with their response straight away. If chance is with us, you will be back before we march, but if not, follow after. May Mahal’s hammer shield you.” At that the two messengers left, and once they were out of sight, Brod headed toward his tent as he quietly added, “...May Mahal’s hammer shield us all.”

Edited by starphyre77

((OOC: I'm sorry for the delay on my end guys, The Halloween event kept me busy yesterday, and I won't be very active this weekend. I'll try to post sometime Saturday night or Sunday afternoon/night, but if not then, then definitely Monday for sure. Sorry for the wait. sad.gif ))

[Just a little cut scene - since the Dark Forces are on the move. Plus its a bump tongue.gif]

A squad of orcs took advantage of the falling night to start their march. Their Master commanded it and they obeyed.

The destination: a remote zone where star light in the day had been observed. The Dark Lord wanted a detailed report on the area.

In his tower Sauron paced - as a fallen Valar he knew what the unknown was. He could only hope that his former kin had not chosen to return. His eyes flashed golden as he recalled their betrayal - just because he saw differently, he was banished from their home.

Then again, he did hope it was them. So he could teach them the true meaning of pain.

[Another bump - this time a view of the Night Fall preparations in a Rohirrim camp.]

The horses, while not exactly stabled - the Horse Lords had a innate respect for the wild spirits of their mounts to confine them completely, were tethered in a central clearing of the camp.

Food and water were supplied to the horses, then the humans of the camp had their meals. Not all at once, the camp had to be on the alert at all times, the first to eat were the Night shift sentries.

Then came the main camp, the Night shift prepared themselves for duty. Last to eat were those coming off sentry duty having been relieved of their posts.

Despite seeming an odd method, the mealtimes were ordered well and every member knew their part.

Even within the camp, not everyone slept at the same time. The sentries should give enough warning of any intrusion, but the Rohirrim had dealt with raiding Northmen before and took no chances.

Those that remained awake undertook simple tasks - such as armour and weapon maintenance. This way they would be prepared with weapons to hand if an attack came...

((OOC: Hi all! I'm joining as Daniel Jackson of SG-1. *waves* :)

I imagine that it makes sense that SG-7's mission got cut short for some reason, and that Daniel should meet up with everyone during the SG-1 misison briefing. If this doesn't work let me know.

Based on the character sheet for Dr. Alex Honami I think it makes sense for Daniel and he not to have met before, or to have only met briefly - any thoughts on this? But I think Daniel would know of him already, as Dr. Honami would be hired within Daniel's department, so possibly with Daniel's input.

Last question, are we assuming Teal'c is around and not saying much, or maybe off with the Jaffa nation?

((Welcome diaveborn! smile.gif I think it does make sense for Daniel to be on this mission. After all, it’s Alex’s first mission, so he could be sort of training under Daniel. I also agree that it makes sense for Daniel and Alex to have not yet met, and I think the “know of him” route works well. As for Teal’c; not sure what the plan is…))

The two Dwarven messengers ran without pause, and sometime during the night, they caught sight of the first of the Rohirrim sentries. Not wanting to be thought a threat, the Dwarves stopped at a respectful distance to declare themselves. “Hail and well met,” one said while holding a hand as a sign of peaceful greeting. “We bear an important message from Garik the Dwarf.”

[Teal'c's likely to be around but not saying much - after all how often does he actually engage in conversations?

As for whether Daniel and Alex know each other, I'd say that's up to the players smile.gif Alex certainly knows of Daniel's reputation though.... and Welcome to the RP diaveborn]

The sentries on duty returned the dwarven messengers greeting in kind;

"Hail and well met. Please approach and be welcome in our camp."

The camp itself was relatively quiet - though the dwarves could still see Rohirrim working on armour and weapons.

One of the sentries/ other Rohirrim would be on hand to guide the dwarves to the commander's tent should the need be present.

The Dwarves followed their guide to the Rohirrim commander’s tent, and once allowed inside, the same one who spoke earlier said, “Hail and well met. I apologize for the lateness of the hour, but we were bidden to deliver this message: ‘We make for the source of these strange lights before dawn. Our intent is to waylay the Enemy’s forces, and put an end to whatever evil he is planning.’” He showed the commander the map that Brod had given him, and tracing the same line he continued to recite, “’This is the route we will be taking. Any assistance you can give would be welcome, but time is of the essence, thus we cannot afford to wait.’” With the message relayed, he waited for the commander’s response.

The commander listened to the message from his dwarven allies and paid attention to the path drawn on the map.

He didn't take long to make a decision based on the previous elven report and this new information.

"I agree time is of the essence in this matter. I will dispatch a unit of my Horse Archers to the location at once - given the speed of the mounts they should arrive before any main forces. These will act as armed scouts for our combined forces."

Riding in the dark was not something that was usually done, mainly due to the risks of laming the horses on concealed, uneven footing. However there were a few riders that he could think of that were foolhardy enough to take that chance.

"The bulk of the rest of my outpost forces will move out at dawn with extra supplies. We, the Rohirrim will support our dwarven brothers whatever may come forth." He wasn't going to commit his full army - after all the outpost still needed a defence force. Turning back to the map, the commander pointed at a spot;

"Our armies should meet at this location, if everything goes as planned. If not, then we'll meet at the location of the strange lights."

[Horses travel faster than marching men..... so Horse Archer Scouts seem to make sense to me. They should be able to outrun any force they can't handle.... or at least one should be able to convey a message, while the others make a stand.]

((It all makes sense to me smile.gif. Question though… Do you have anything in mind for how the Middle Earth group encounters SG1?))

Having received the Rohirrim commander’s reply, and a quick drink of water, the Dwarf said, “We look forward to drawing blades with you.” With that, the messengers quickly left to return to their camp…

In the wee hours of dawn, Brod emerged from his tent armed and armored for battle. Carrying his helm under his arm, he walked among his comrades, and couldn’t help but feel pride at the ordered chaos as they fell into formation. Knowing that these were seasoned warriors who knew what to do, Brod returned again to Garik’s tent to see if the messengers had made it back, and if there were any changes to orders.

[Hmmm - I'd say SG-1 comes out of the gate and get spotted by the Horse Archer Scouts. The Scouts being under orders not to get in a fight unless unavoidable.... I'd imagine the gate activation itself would startle the horses. So SG-1 can see a group of riders with panicked horses...]