LOTR meets Stargate

(OOC: I am so sorry guys. Christmas time is so busy for me and when I get to come on here I get stuck trying to bring down my breeding list. I'll try to be more active after Christmas. If you think I'm taking too long with my replies please send me a reminder PM. Again, I'm sorry. >.<; ))

When Carter closed her folder, so too did Alex. He wasn’t sure if there was some sort of protocol he was supposed to follow in regards to leaving, so he planned to simply follow the lead of the others; particularly Dr. Jackson. Realizing that he was acting like a student on his first dig, he couldn’t help but give a silent scoff at himself. Of course, he was still going to wait for the others…

Time for the locker room - where boots were tied tight, extra layers put on, and backpacks given a final check. Then the armory.

The armory, where Jack, Sam, and Teal'c were in their element... but Daniel, although quite proficient with the tools of the SGC's trade, had never lost the quiet nagging voice inside his mind as he equipped himself with the means to kill sentient beings. He used that discomfort as an ever-present reminder to himself to never stop looking for a better way.

As everyone filed out of the conference room and made their way down the halls Daniel unconsciously walked a little closer to Dr. Honami. A cynical corner of his mind wondered if the man's first mission would be a nightmare, but the thought came mostly as a reflex and didn't spoil his mood.

~~ Cheyenne Mountain~~

Walking toward the locker room, Alex looked at Dr. Jackson and said, “Sooo…I’ve already been advised not to let the Colonel push me through the gate,” he gave a slight chuckle, “but do you have any other advise for the newbie?”

Getting pushed through the gate is the least of your worries, Daniel thought. For a start, how about: try not to die on your first mission? It could be the beginning of a really bad habit....

Out loud, Daniel replied, "Well, it's a cliché, but the best thing I think anyone can do is expect the unexpected - because it *will* happen, often.

"And I guess the other big thing is that - nobody's going to give you a hard time about it, but some people around here do think that a civilians are liabilities on gate teams, no matter how good their fitness evals are or how good they are at the shooting range. Your entire mentality is almost certainly different on a very fundamental level from someone who was trained in the military. And that is a very good, very necessary thing. But if you ever do experience a combat situation, you'll have to turn off the thinking part of your brain. It's hard, but know that Jack would rather die than let you die - that's his job. Having that trust will make it easier to follow his orders quickly when something dangerous happens."

Carter went through her pre-mission checks, and couldn't help but overhear the two archaeologists' conversation. She mentally added to Daniel's assertion about Colonel O'Neill's willingness to die for them. Not that I'd let that happen if there was any other choice.

Aloud she observed,

"The other thing to be advised of in non-hostile situations - beware of native foods - and customs."

She glanced sideways at them, thinking of O'Neill's Cake incident, and her own experience with the Shavadi early in her SGC career.

[Wonder how long it'll be before Alex starts wondering about Carter/O'Neill's actual relationship - since they are closer than would be considered a normal professional interaction. Not that they'd actually be doing anything against the regs!

Also O'Neill should push Carter through the gate as a joke/revenge for her warning the newbie. xd.png]

Edited by Takhesis

Alex nodded at Dr. Jackson’s words, but at the mention of the shooting range, he felt a growing amount of concern. Trying to push that concern aside, he gave Carter a grin at her comment and chuckled as he asked, “You mean so I don’t end up eating something like monkey brains, or accidently proposing to a native?” However, his expression then sobered a bit to show some of his uncertainty as he asked, “But…umm… I’m not going to be expected to carry a gun, am I? ‘Cause I’ve never trained in the use of firearms, and about the only thing I know about guns is that if you have no training, you can do more harm than good…” Frankly, he had never had any interest in learning how to use a gun, and hoped that he still wouldn’t have to. Heck, that was why he used a Taser instead.

Daniel smiled a little at the mention of the eating and proposing, then replied, "Keep going through the gate and they'll give you a zat to start off with. It *is* lethal, but for most physiologies that takes two shots. One shot stuns, so you're not going to kill your teammates accidently, but it does take some practice to feel comfortable with aiming it."

Daniel also thought it was never too early to start practicing with a handgun, but he decided to keep quiet about that since he'd probably overwhelmed Alex enough as it was.

Alex was a little reassured by Dr. Jackson’s answer, and giving it some thought, he asked, “So is this ‘zat’ like an amped up Taser or something?” He wasn’t sure that he liked the fact that it was lethal, but then again a Taser could be lethal as well if used wrong. As long as it has a stun option, he thought.

[indeed Teal'c is still around - however his player is not due to holiday season... so for now those characters are doing routine mission prep unless otherwise needed - like now smile.gif ]

"A zat'ni'katel has been used by Jaffa warriors for many generations in suppression of the few rebellions on Gou'uld controlled worlds." Teal'c supplied, knowing that the new member of the team had not had the same experience as the rest of them.

"The first shot has always been sufficient in such endeavours."

A brief pause followed as Teal'c considered his next words, uncertain as to Alex's reaction - not that it showed externally.

"If you wish, I will train you in the use of such a weapon."

---

Carter smiled slightly at Teal'c's explanation, and observed;

"I think that's the most he's ever said to anyone at one time." Then she added her own style of explanation - most likely accompanied by the rolling eyes of a certain Colonel.

"An amped-up Taser is a good description of a zat. Both weapons provide an electrical discharge on their target - both are designed to disable rather than kill. The only difference is the generation method. Taser's rely on conductive wires for their discharge, where as a zat creates a focused blast of static electricity - similar to a lightning strike, though a much lower power output."

[Heehee couldn't resist the science geek technobabble]

Alex listened to Teal’c with fascination; both because he was talking to an alien – still something to get used to – and because his explanation was quite interesting. When Carter added her description, he nodded as he silently mused, So, it’s an old weapon, but still like something out of Star Trek. “Hm...‘set phasers to stun’…” He said somewhat absently as he once again rubbed his thumb and forefinger together as he thought about it for a moment. Looking to Teal’c he said, “I think I’d like to learn how to use one, thanks.”

((OOC: Would it be helpful to assume we've got all our gear and are in the gateroom ready to go?))

((Sounds good to me, but like Alex, I’m gonna have to follow someone else’s lead on that. wink.gif ))

~~Middle Earth~~

After more marching, the Rohirrim/Dwarven force finally reached the location of the mysterious lights. While Garik and the Rohirrim commander went to hear the scouts’ report, Brod made his way to where some scouts were still on look-out. Though he didn’t take his helm off, he gave the scouts a nod in greeting, and then keeping low to the ground – well, lower to the ground anyway – he cautiously peered over the edge into the depression to see what they were dealing with. What he saw was a strange circular structure seemingly made of a dark stone that was in sharp contrast to the lighter rock in the area.

((OOC: I'm still checking the thread, but I also would like to follow someone's lead as I think it would work for a military member of the team to get us started on the mission.))

[Ooops - I got distracted with new year stuff. And I think we need Jack O'Neill to do his usual quips while the gate activates.]

--- Middle Earth ---

The scouts report was brief, having not had any contact with the enemy as yet. The unusual stone ring was worth noting however - and the scouts expressed a distrust of the quiet.

On the rim, Eretta returned Brod's nod and asked quietly - as she too didn't trust the silence.

"Have you seen such stone work before, Master Dwarf?"

---- SGC, various ---

Carter smiled at Alex's subconscious Star Trek reference, as Teal'c inclined his head as his offer of training was accepted.

All decked out with their gear, Carter and the rest of SG-1 waited at the base of the gate as Walter dialled out.

The gate span into life,

"Chevron One, encoded."

With a distinctive mechanical whirr and click, the first triangular lock engaged and lit orange.

The gate continued its spin, and more locks engaged as Walter continued his running count.

"Chevron Six, locked." The last light lit, "Wormhole established."

The gate stopped and the blue event horizon formed. Accompanied by its horizontal 'mushroom cloud', which as normal - got swallowed back up to leave the shimmering wormhole visible.

[Ok I admit it. I hammed up the activation sequence - just because its so fun to see the new guy's reaction.]

~~Middle Earth~~

At the question, Brod did a double-take at the Rohirrim who had asked it. Though he was surprised that there was a woman there, he had to admit that he didn’t know all that much about the race of Men. Briefly wondering if it was possible that they didn’t hold women in as high regard as Dwarves did, he gave a mental shrug as he simply shook his head and said, “No lass. This is unlike anything I am familiar with.” Focusing on the ring again, he noticed what looked like markings of some kind, but was too far away to be able to tell if it was Cirth of some form.

He was considering whether or not to risk a closer look when movement on the other side of the depression caught his eye. “Orcs on the far ridge,” he said in a quiet but quick tone, and one of the Dwarves who had followed him gave a curt nod as he went to alert the commanders. Watching the ridge for a moment longer, Brod was about to take part in whatever planning they had time for, but something happened that had him freezing in mid-turn… The stone ring started to move seemingly of its own accord.

Brod’s stare was transfixed on the structure and though his face couldn’t be seen due to his mask, as orange lights suddenly appeared around the ring, his sense of foreboding increased. He had tried to steel himself for what might happen next, but nothing could have prepared him for what he could only describe as liquid light surging from the ring. This was unlike anything he’d ever experienced, and he found himself freezing in the defensive stance he’s dropped into as he muttered, “Mahal!”

~~ Cheyenne Mountain~~

Standing at the base of the Stargate with the others, Alex’s heart was racing with anticipation. Though he’d read all the material he’d been given and had thought he’d prepared for this, the fact that in just a few minutes he’d be on an alien planet was still sinking in. He watched wide-eyed as the gate dialed and when the wormhole formed, he automatically jumped. Though part of him knew that he probably looked like a total rookie, he couldn’t help but grin as he said, “Cool!”

[so suggestion of 'going through the gate order' is either Teal'c or O'Neill taking point followed by Carter, then the civilians and whoever didn't take point bringing up the rear? I'm going to poke Syri to see if she's still around for those two charries xd.png]

--- SGC ---

"It is." Carter agreed with Alex's assessment, most of her interest was purely scientific, but that didn't mean she couldn't have the same thrill at the idea of Gate Travel as a first-timer.

"Though I do think someone has been watching too many episodes of X-Treme, " she added, recognising the slight variation in Walter's normal commentary. She grinned up at the person in question, not really minding the change - as long as he doesn't start calling me Stacy Monroe.

--- Middle Earth ---

The reply was both surprising and expected. Surprising as the Dwarves were renowned for their stone halls and metal work. Expected as the elves could not recognise the source of the lights, so was unfamiliar to the races of Middle Earth.

At Brod's warning of Orcs, Eretta notched an arrow to her bow in readiness, while placing her other arrow-bundle within easy reaching distance. She should be able to get a few shots in if the Orcs entered the basin...

Though whatever thoughts she was having was driven back by the light that emanated from the stone circle.

She could hear the dwarf's quiet exclamation,

"If the presence of Orc's wasn't bad enough....." she exhaled, uncertainty causing her aim to waver between the opposite ridge and the standing pool that now filled the ring.

((OOC: I think that order makes sense - also, yay Wormhole X-treme, haha!))

Daniel grinned at Alex and nodded his agreement at the awe-inspiring nature of the kawoosh. It was so beautiful on a visual level alone; knowing what it was and what it meant added layers of wonder.

At Carter's remark, a strange mixture of amusement, exasperation, and distaste showed briefly on Daniel's face. He said dryly, "I think *one* episode is too many."

((OOC: Forgot to ask - I'm assuming the gate translator will be working so that SG-1 and those they're going to meet can understand each other's words. Is this okay? If not I'll have to re-arrange my semi-planned "Daniel says hi to the natives" speech. :) Which I would totally do, but it probably will be harder for the roleplay in general if people can't understand each other well.))

((I'd assume human tongue on Middle-Earth is - if not Modern English - at least an archaic form of it. So yes - Gate Translation dealy will work, at least for a while - lol. Is thinking of a range limit on it as most civs are next to the gate...

And yes I had to make a crack at Wormhole X-Treme - after all Stargate doesn't shy away from mentioning other programs.))

So, I've got some news. The people I role-play with have probably already noticed this, but I just don't post in the threads I belong to anymore. You can remind me a thousand times, and I may want to keep the RP going, but I either don't or it takes me several days to post anything. I apologize profusely. I do like all of you and the threads I joined, but I don't have the time or attention span for it anymore. I can't hold anything for more than a few pages. You should all consider me dead for all intents and purposes on the site.

I am still very much into RPing, but I require something fast paced and real-time. Contact me and we can work out somewhere where I can talk to you in instant messages. It will be a lot easier on me since I have so much going on. I'll be contacting you if I can to inform you of this development.

Forever Yours,

-ArchiosLukos

((You're already doing an exceptional job, and I haven't been here much anyway, but consider the thread yours, Takhesis))

((OOC: The explanations I've heard for the gate translator say that it does something to your brain when you go through, but I'm not sure canon ever said anything about it (although Mallozzi did, but didn't exactly sound serious, haha). But that would mean that we could go as far as we wanted and it would still work.))