Qwackie

Hair

My hair is brown-ish but sometimes you can mistake it for a dark blonde. I had it long as a kid,, but then cut it up to my chin, but now I've been growing it out since school started last year.

My hair is naturally a light/medium brown and slightly stripey, but I usually dye it slightly darker so that it's more uniform. It's really wavy and has some awkward curls in spots like my temples, and it frizzes easily so it's basically a jerk to deal with. I often keep my hair in a ponytail, but other times I just straighten it and it looks much nicer. But even then it likes to curl at the tips. >.<

Interestingly, no matter how straightened or not my hair is, in a ponytail it always ends up flopping over my left shoulder. I can pull it back so that it hangs down my back, but after barely any time it ends up curling over that shoulder.

Silly hair. tongue.gif

My hair is naturally a light/medium brown and slightly stripey, but I usually dye it slightly darker so that it's more uniform.

Dyeing the natural dimensions and highlights out of your hair to get that boring flat color that happens with dye seems like insanity blink.gif.

I have blondish brownish hair. It is wavy at the bottom but not at the top. It is also mid waist length

It's a scam. It's a hugely profitable not-for-profit organization. They receive millions of dollars in monetary donations and they make millions of dollars selling hair they consider to be 'unusable' to wig and extension makers(who somehow find this 'unusable' hair completely usable!). Yet it only costs them $1000 to make the wig, and they've only made 2000 wigs in the last 16 years. So, so far, their average cost to make wig is $125,000 a year yet they make MILLIONS per year.

This is not including the fact that locks of love does not donate their wigs. They sell their wigs to patients based on a sliding scale of their parent's income. They make all that money yet they are still unable to truly donate their wigs. And they sell the wigs to the parents based on the wig's retail value which is between $3500-$6000, not based on the processing costs which is the only cost locks of love needs to pay since the hair is donated. That means locks of love is profiting even more off of the patients they sell their wigs to.

Also, people like to think locks of love donates to children who have cancer, but they don't. They only make wigs for children with long term hair loss, like alopecia, so temporary hair loss as the result of chemotherapy doesn't count.

They've even outright said that they much prefer monetary donations to hair donations. A hair charity wanting money instead of hair? Ridiculous.

There are a few other hair charities out there that are much more reputable and don't have millions of dollars worth of hair completely unaccounted for, like Pantene Beautiful Lengths and Wigs for Kids. You should shop around if you feel like donating.

Thanks for posting all that info. I'll be passing it on to folks I know who are considering donating to Locks of Love.

Short medium-brown hair (as in not really light brown but not really dark brown) that has a few layers and an angle. Also, my hair is flat tongue.gif even though sometimes it's a little bit wavy. (I've got the best hairstyles when I wake up in the morning. LOL!)

Edited by Kira-san

I have shoulder-length, wavy hair, but with straight roots. And a few perks: It's bipolar, some days, it's straighter than usual, and other days, it gets slightly curlier. Yes, it's boring but I'll tell you a story about my hair. When I was around 10,it got extremely curly, and was a real headache to look after. As my cousin is a hairdresser, she tested a straightening product on me. And from this very day, my hair hasnever been the same. Hope it stays this way.

I have shoulder-length, wavy hair, but with straight roots. And a few perks: It's bipolar, some days, it's straighter than usual, and other days, it gets slightly curlier. Yes, it's boring but I'll tell you a story about my hair. When I was around 10,it got extremely curly, and was a real headache to look after. As my cousin is a hairdresser, she tested a straightening product on me. And from this very day, my hair hasnever been the same. Hope it stays this way.

Wow is that interesting or what? Doesn't sound very boring to me~

Wow is that interesting or what? Doesn't sound very boring to me~

I'm glad to see my story wasn't as uninteresting as I thought.

Hormones and puberty really affect the texture of hair. My hair dresser was doing a woman's hair and it was acting unusual and not responding properly to the chemicals, so my hair dresser asked her if she was pregnant because the hormones from pregnancy could interfere with the effectiveness of the chemicals. The woman gave a resounding "NO!", however, a couple weeks later she came back to see my hair dresser to tell her that she was right and that she was pregnant, she just didn't know it yet.

I think it was only a coincidence with the hair straightening product that your hair is no longer curly. I think you went through a hormonal phase during puberty that resulted in curly hair and then it ended shortly after your cousin used a straightening product on you.

Hormones and puberty really affect the texture of hair. My hair dresser was doing a woman's hair and it was acting unusual and not responding properly to the chemicals, so my hair dresser asked her if she was pregnant because the hormones from pregnancy could interfere with the effectiveness of the chemicals. The woman gave a resounding "NO!", however, a couple weeks later she came back to see my hair dresser to tell her that she was right and that she was pregnant, she just didn't know it yet.

I think it was only a coincidence with the hair straightening product that your hair is no longer curly. I think you went through a hormonal phase during puberty that resulted in curly hair and then it ended shortly after your cousin used a straightening product on you.

Ok, thanks for the more scientific explanation as to why my hair became straighter.

It's a scam. It's a hugely profitable not-for-profit organization. They receive millions of dollars in monetary donations and they make millions of dollars selling hair they consider to be 'unusable' to wig and extension makers(who somehow find this 'unusable' hair completely usable!). Yet it only costs them $1000 to make the wig, and they've only made 2000 wigs in the last 16 years. So, so far, their average cost to make wig is $125,000 a year yet they make MILLIONS per year.

This is not including the fact that locks of love does not donate their wigs. They sell their wigs to patients based on a sliding scale of their parent's income. They make all that money yet they are still unable to truly donate their wigs. And they sell the wigs to the parents based on the wig's retail value which is between $3500-$6000, not based on the processing costs which is the only cost locks of love needs to pay since the hair is donated. That means locks of love is profiting even more off of the patients they sell their wigs to.

Also, people like to think locks of love donates to children who have cancer, but they don't. They only make wigs for children with long term hair loss, like alopecia, so temporary hair loss as the result of chemotherapy doesn't count.

They've even outright said that they much prefer monetary donations to hair donations. A hair charity wanting money instead of hair? Ridiculous.

There are a few other hair charities out there that are much more reputable and don't have millions of dollars worth of hair completely unaccounted for, like Pantene Beautiful Lengths and Wigs for Kids. You should shop around if you feel like donating.

Woah. I definitely didn't know that (we were planning on donating to that organization, but my mom didn't send it in yet lD). Thanks for letting us know.

Anyways, I think my hair's been starting to fall out. Is there any way to prevent/deter that from happening?

I'm glad to see my story wasn't as uninteresting as I thought.

Well, it depends on the person I guess. Some can find things completely uninteresting, some find things very interesting. You never know :3

Woah. I definitely didn't know that (we were planning on donating to that organization, but my mom didn't send it in yet lD). Thanks for letting us know.

Anyways, I think my hair's been starting to fall out. Is there any way to prevent/deter that from happening?

No problem smile.gif.

Some people experiencing hair loss have had good results taking an MSM supplement. But if you don't want to take supplements, try to have a cleaner diet rich with nutrients, get lots of sleep, and try to eliminate stress in your life. Stress is a huge contributor to hair loss.

It's also possible you are experiencing a seasonal shed and there's not much you can do about that, but at least the drastic shedding does stop eventually.

If you are losing hair at an alarming speed, maybe talk to your doctor.

Mine is dark, and extremely thick and a bit long right now. If it gets more than 5-6 inches long, I have to cut it short if I want to get it to fit under a wig, otherwise it's too bulky. So no cosplay for now (lol).

I "brush" it with my fingers rather than a brush. That way it at least looks wavy and glam; if I use a brush it gets big and poofy like witch hair. I just use cheap shampoo on it. And that's good enough for me.

My hair is brown and thick and about the only healthy part of my body biggrin.gif I can't wear wigs anyway since my skull is frikkin huge in addition to my thick hair. I recently cut it short(-ish) when we had a heat wave and since it's so easy to manage I can do that myself and still have it look reasonably good. Seriously I love my hair <3

I have thick, long, brown, wavy hair xd.png descriptive enough? Oh and my friends new nickname for me is fluffy xd.png because this new shampoo makes my hair fluffy lol

My hair is currently dark auburn, it was originally a medium brown before I spent years dying it, but no matter what color I dyed it it always had a red tint shine through, I'm happy with the color now so I haven't dyed it in over a year, hopefully it stays like this.

Currently it falls about three inches below my shoulder, except my bangs, until last night they fell right below my chin, but that was extreme so I cut them and they fall right below my eye now (I push them to the side). I'm getting my sister to trim it this weekend hopefully.

It's really thick, so its full of volume, but its such a pain to care for. I'm planning on letting it grow out (once I get rid of dead ends) and donating it to Children with Hair Loss (I'm pretty sure that's the name) in February or March.

As for products I use Aussie shampoo and conditioner and I rarely do anything to my hair, but when I do I use Garnier Fructis things, I'm a big fan of the curl construct mousse when I scrunch my hair, it and some spray holds it all day long.

My hair is a really dark shade of brown, long, straight and very dense. One of my best physical attributes and I love it. wub.gif

Really long dark brown always in a ponytail and by really long it's past my shoulder blades.. It might not be that long for some girls but it's very long for a guy tongue.gif

I get so many weird looks but I've gotten used to it xd.png

My hair is naturally wavy but gets frizzy real quick. I have to use special shampoos and not wash my hair a lot and keep it in a braid at night to keep it from going out of control frizzy. And it still does sometimes.

It's almost mid back now. It used to be down to my hips but I cut it short in high school and now I'm trying to grow it back.

Naturally it's a dirty blonde color but, I dyed it pink. I think I'll keep the pink unless I'm forced to dye it back to blonde.

Short, thick, medium-to-dark-brown, aggressively but not tightly curly. Some days I have to stick it in a sinkfull of water and attack it with a comb to make it do anything resembling behaving.