SpiritWolfe

• The Plagued Earth | OOC •

Seeing as though people don't understand what their characters can and cannot kill logically, I think I'll just be making this chat. Tell me if there is anything that needs to be changed in this chart.

Kill Chart

What a newborn can do and what a mature hatchling can do are different, right? They aren't equal to one another and we all should know that. However, it seems people are making their characters unintentionally OP with what sort of animals they can kill. Seeing as this has happened over the course of the RP, I think someone needs to address it. With that said, let's get right to it!

Let's take Lucifer for example, a Sweetling. Before we determine what he can kill, let's see the Sweetling breed description.

"Sweetlings are a small, flightless breed of dragon. They are herbivores who favor sweet fruits and honey, and have been known to go to great lengths to obtain their favorite treats.[/b] Their long, prehensile tails allow them to grab onto branches and give them superior balance. Sweetlings are expressive dragons and have a large array of calls to communicate with others. They become very vocal during breeding season and sing long, beautiful melodies to attract a mate. Inquisitive in nature, Sweetlings are known to investigate anything that piques their interest, and are quick to flee if the object of their curiosity strikes back."

It says here that Sweetlings are small, flightless, and are herbivores. This means that if Lucifer eats meat, he will be unable to digest it and will throw it up. Normally, you wouldn't want your character do this. (Unless they like the taste so much that they eat it willing knowing that they will throw it up. Which is exactly what Lucy does, but that's beside the point.) A Sweetling will not normally go out and eat meat or hunt. However, they can still kill other animals. Since they're so small, let's look and see what they could logically kill.

Sweetling Newborn:

Bugs

That's it. Nothing but bugs. You want to know why? Because Sweetlings are small and cannot kill many creatures. If Lucifer is a newborn, then he cannot go out and kill a badger or a wolf. He'll be killed in an instant if he tried. But what about as a mature hatchling? Well....

Sweetling Mature Hatchling:

Bugs

Small Birds

Fish

Ground Mammals (Rabbit, squirrels, etc)

Nothing more, nothing less. A mature Sweetling is still small, so they cannot kill a wolf, badger, hawk, etc. They are far too small and feeble to do so. Besides, they're a herbivore. Unless they have Lucifer's mindset, they won't be out hunting. But wait! There is another factor is play!

Power: Lucifer is the master of battle techniques. While he is small and doesn't have a great amount of strength, Lucifer can come up with fighting techniques like a pro. Lucifer can manipulate dragons very easily. He can break even the strongest dragon's will.

Lucifer's power specifically pertains to fighting. It acknowledges that he is small and weak, but it also says that he is a great fighter. Because of this, his range of animals that he can kill goes up. Not by a lot, of course, but it does open up a little. Let's see the chart now.

Lucifer Mature Hatchling:

Bugs

Small Birds

Fish

Baby large animals (Wolves, bears, etc. Can't kill adults or juveniles.)

Slow birds (Black birds, Geese, etc.)

He can only kill two other categories of animals, but the amount still went up. Now that I have shown you an example of what a hatchling can kill, let's go to a chart on everyone else.

No Power Newborns

Small Newborns:

Bugs

Normal Newborns

Bugs

Squirrel (Not easily)

Baby small animals (If the parent isn't around which is unlikely)

Fish (If they're smart enough to figure out how)

Large Newborns

Bugs

Squirrel (Not easily)

Small birds

No Power Mature hatchlings

Small Mature Hatchlings:

Small Birds

Fish

Normal Mature Hatchlings:

Bugs

Ground Mammals

Small Birds

Fish

Big Slow Birds

Baby large animals (Wolves, bears, etc. Can't kill adults or juveniles.)

Large Mature Hatchlings:

Bugs

Ground Mammals

Small Birds

Fish

Deer

Big Slow Birds

Juvenile large animals (Wolves, bears, etc. Can't kill adults or juveniles.)

Large Animals (If working together with other hatchlings)

Power Newborns

Small Power Newborns:

Bugs

Squirrel (Not easily)

Normal Power Newborns

Bugs

Squirrel (Not easily)

Large Power Newborns

Bugs

Squirrel

Deer

Small birds

Ground mammals

Power Mature hatchlings

Small Mature Power Hatchlings:

Small Birds

Fish

Big Slow Birds

Normal Mature Power Hatchlings:

Bugs

Ground Mammals

Small Birds

Deer

Fish

Big Slow Birds

Juvenile Large Animals (With help from other hatchlings)

Large Mature Power Hatchlings:

Bugs

Ground Mammals

Small Birds

Fish

Big Birds

Deer

Juvenile large animals (Wolves, bears, etc. Can't kill adults)

Large Animals (If working together with other hatchlings. Possible by self if the animal is hurt)

Keep this chart in mind when trying to figure out what your character can kill. Do NOT kill every animal in sight. Food is scarce and your hatchling will have a hard time finding food. Newborns cannot kill big animals and mature hatchlings cannot kill a wolf in a single swoop. It is completely and utterly ridiculous when people have their characters find food so easily near the birth cave and when they have their characters kill prey so easily. That is not how it works in real life and we're not changing it just because you can't make your character more realistic. To all of the people thinking of joining and to all of the people who think TPE will be easy, get out. TPE has been getting far too soft when it comes to killing prey. If you're not willing to make your posts realistic, then this is not the RP for you. Yes, I realize I'm getting a bit prejudiced with this, but TPE has been getting too soft of the realism part. If food is scarce, then it's bloody scarce. I am sick and tired of seeing so many people thinking this will be an easy RP. It is not. In all honesty, I think TPE needs to be much more harsh than it is today and that the people who are in it should be more focused on getting logic in the story than having their characters kill everything in sight.

/rantdone

EDIT: Ignore all of this if your character is a water hatchling. They eat fish and that's about it. They don't really have anything else to kill and they have mature hatchlings to feed the newborns. Water hatchlings are fine on their own. happy.gif

Edited by Doctortear

The character sheet is okay. I'm not sure we really want more RPers and/or charries ATM

I do sort of have a problem with the gemstone thing, since the main premise of the RP is supposed to be the lack of food, it seems like it might mess with things a bit

It would be nice if you could rework the personality to have less parenthesis and more proper sentences. And the bit with it lessening over time, it'd be nice if you could say that in a more open ended way since you can't guarantee it until you've RPed it

Well, it did say "Accepting"...

I guess I'll figure something else out to replace the mineral-eating thing. I'll rework the personality area as well.

Edited by Coryn02

Bacon and I have no control over the topic title and such, neither of us is the OP

We can't edit the OP, change rules, appoint other mods, or edit the title stuff.

We can accept sheets, have people fix things, and give out bans.

And thank you for that lovely list there Doctor, I'm sure it will help people understand better what they can and can't do

EDIT: No, we haven't made the decision to stop yet. So you may still join

Edited by MasterWeavile898

Username: Coryn02

Name: Amicus

Breed: Ochredrake

Personality: Like most ochredrakes, Amicus isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer. On the other hand, he loves making new friends and is fiercely loyal to those he has already made. This comes with an inherent trust in a fellow dragon's goodness, which is a huge disadvantage in situations where an opponent has no care whatsoever for Amicus's well-being. When confronted with a problem, the best solution is usually the easiest one. Unlike many dragons, Amicus is more at home in a rocky environment, instead of an area with lots of vegetation.

Appearance: Amicus's scales are more mottled in color, varying in the natural reds, oranges and browns of the earth's colors. His claws are a dark brown and he was born with small ears, unlike most of his kind.

Picture: user posted image - user posted image

Crush/Mate: N/A (subject to change)

Power: Amicus also has a prehensile tail, with most of tailbones being made of a type of cartilage. This, however, offsets the natural balance his tail would otherwise provide, giving him too much weight in the front of his body when in flight; not to mention the obvious problem in cartilage's fragility. While his arms are still fairly short, his claws are unusually sharp, which make them good for digging and short-range combat.

Other: eyjd - In the beginning, he's going to try and make friends with anything living he finds. Since he is a drake, any pairing ideas will be drake-only.

This any better?

Edited by Coryn02

Er, why do you use the word "opponent"? You assume the only time trusting someone will be a problem is when he's in a fight?

When confronted with a problem, the best solution is usually the easiest one.

this is a bit off, maybe

When confronted with a problem, Amicus usually considers the best solution to be the easiest one.

Fix the pictures

And no to the claw thing, you already gave him a special tail, he doesn't need claws

Hmm... I'm picking up from your sheet that you either expect him to be in a lot of fights, or to be hunting a lot. Both of which should be largely untrue. His personality and power sections especially sound like they're tailored towards fighting, with his weaknesses and strengths being directed to those things. This RP is about survival, not fights

Kirk let his massive tail swing upward and slam against the sick fish.

He slapped a fish with his tail. Why did you think he licked it?

Edited by Doctortear

I think she was referring to the part where he stuck his tongue out tongue.gif

Kirk stuck out his tongue and made a strange disgusted noise as he stared at the fish.

All the same, I don't know how that could mean he licked it.

Er, why do you use the word "opponent"? You assume the only time trusting someone will be a problem is when he's in a fight?

this is a bit off, maybe

When confronted with a problem, Amicus usually considers the best solution to be the easiest one.

Fix the pictures

And no to the claw thing, you already gave him a special tail, he doesn't need claws

Hmm... I'm picking up from your sheet that you either expect him to be in a lot of fights, or to be hunting a lot. Both of which should be largely untrue. His personality and power sections especially sound like they're tailored towards fighting, with his weaknesses and strengths being directed to those things. This RP is about survival, not fights

If that is true, then your video is a bit inaccurate; I saw plenty of fight in that. Not that I assumed there would be nothing but. I did reading on the RP in its OP, too. I'll remove the claws, then.

Well, when I meant that part about trusting others, I was thinking along the lines of the fact that Amicus sees good in others even when it is not there, so if he thinks someone can't possibly do something horrible to him and they do, then Amicus can't see it coming and will not be as easily able to defend himself (I'm thinking of Lucifer when I imagine a scenario where this comes into play, but I've got no idea what the current situation in the RP is).

In any case, this is what I've got so far; if you think there is something in need of change, please speak your mind.

Username: Coryn02

Name: Amicus

Breed: Ochredrake

Personality: Like most ochredrakes, Amicus isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer. On the other hand, he loves making new friends and is fiercely loyal to those he has already made. He also has an inherent trust in a fellow dragon's goodness and a positive attitude, no matter what happens. Amicus is also naturally curious, and when something interests him he goes and finds out more about it, even if the circumstances make it a bad idea.

Appearance: Amicus's scales are mottled in color, varying in red, orange and brown. His claws are a dark brown and he was born with small ears, unlike most of his kind.

Picture: user posted image - user posted image

Crush/Mate: N/A (subject to change)

Power: Amicus has a prehensile tail, with most of his tailbones being made of a type of cartilage. This, however, offsets the natural balance his tail would otherwise provide, giving him too much weight in the front of his body when in flight; not to mention the obvious problem in cartilage's fragility.

Other: eyjd - In the beginning, he's going to try and make friends with anything living he finds. Since he is a drake, any pairing ideas will be drake-only.

Coryn, the video is what someone wanted TPE to go. It has nothing to do with the actual thing. If you read through TPE, you would of seen that there was very little fighting in it. The video is inaccurate because it has an alternative storyline. Please don't assume that's what the story is suppose to be. :/

Edited by Doctortear

Coryn, the video is what someone wanted TPE to go. It has nothing to do with the actual thing. If you read through TPE, you would of seen that there was very little fighting in it. The video is inaccurate because it has an alternative storyline. Please don't assume that's what the story is suppose to be. :/

Next time I try to join an RP, I'll read through some of the many pages of posts it has.

Yeah, Doc is right. The video was for fan purposes only, and Tala freely admitted that the story was an adapted one.

Not to mention, if there WAS a lot of fighting, your character, just for his breed, would not be a very good one. Drakes are much, much smaller than the normal dragons. Your character would be the size of a dog while other are the size of houses or cars :/

At any rate, you should automatically read through the pages of an RP you are trying to join. If you don't, you misunderstand things like you just did. Especially in a case like TPE where you have a lot of characters and a lot of interactions, it is very important to know what is going on so you can adapt your character accordingly.

Currently, Rien and Aerix are the only characters who have been in more than one fight. And practically everyone assumes Lucy is at least okay, even if they don't consider him "good"

The video is highly inaccurate. It even has Lucy as an alt Sweetling. Maybe you should read through the RP, it's only a few hours of reading

And the wording you used was very specifically "opponent", which implies combat or some form of game

I'll let you finish before I continue with my critique

I never said you had to read ALL of the pages, heavens no. It's just that if you want to join an RP, you should actually look at it the things that are posted and get a grip on the story instead of blinding joining while be completely unaware of what you just got yourself into do.

I never said you had to read ALL of the pages, heavens no. It's just that if you want to join an RP, you should actually look at it the things that are posted and get a grip on the story instead of blinding joining while be completely unaware of what you just got yourself into do.

Did you HONESTLY think I was going to read all of the pages?

I'm reading some now... And I read a lot... But I'm not going to read through several hundred pages of forum posts in five hours!

The majority of those pages are OOC and posts totaling no more than five sentences. It should take you four hours at most to read the whole thing. I'd estimate more like two

Well some us read through the entire thing before joining. I know one of our best RPers, Tala, read the entire thing, when it was around a hundred pages, before joining. It isn't impossible to read it all. Most of us can read it in several hours. I was just suggesting you read a few pages before joining. Hell, if you really wanted to prepare, you could of spent a few days reading it all before trying to join. That way, you'd have a very good idea on what you should do and what the plot is.

No, we did not "honestly" think you would read all the pages. I did before I joined, but for no reason would we assume -everyone- should read everything. You are being needlessly rude and instigating. All we did was -gently- correct something you had wrong.

No one expects you to read all of TPE really quickly. Calm yourself, alright? No need to get angry :I

Edited by Ayesthine

Hey, doctor? I reread your post, and I saw NOTHING about licking, anywhere... Did I miss something??

Kirk stuck out his tongue and made a strange disgusted noise as he stared at the fish. [...] Kirk let his massive tail swing upward and slam against the sick fish. [...] he felt the slime on his tail. Curious, Kirk floated on his back, not wanting himself to fall underwater, lifted up his tail and examined it. A long puddle of swim connected to his tail. [...] Kirk watched as the slime connected to his fin and tail through a long icky line of goo.

[...] he tried to wipe the goo off his hand.

I don't see anything about licking, so I think you got confused...