Corvidae

Fangirls/Fanboys - Fandoms in General.

I'm a Wholockian=3 don't regret, love those fandoms=3 I don;t think that it's quite bad or everything else.

I find the Supernatural fandom to be really... invasive. Not exactly rude but to the point where it's annoying. They like to stick their fandom into EVERYTHING. It doesn't help that everyone I follow that's part of this fandom doesn't tag it, so it appears on my dash, even when I don't want it to.

The worst fandom, by far, is the Sherlock fandom. The attack ANYTHING that resembles their show even in the slightest (because Moffatt invented Sherlock Holmes, right?) and they are just downright rude to anyone for NOT shipping "Johnlock". The amount of hate coming out of that fandom is ridiculous.

Superwholock is also one of the most annoying things, in my opinion. The idea was cool back when it started, but now it's like a weed. You can't get rid of it, it just pops up everywhere, mostly where it doesn't belong. And the idea that Tumblr is only made up of these three fandoms is utterly ridiculous.

The best fandom is the Hannibal fandom. OMG, I love the Hannibal fandom and i'm not even part of the fandom. What a great bunch of people. The Hannibal staff are even in on the fandom. They're amazing. Also, i'm in the fandom of watching the Hannibal fandom aggressively avoid the Superwholock fandom. The idea that Superwholock is trying so hard to get Hannibal to join their super-special club and the Hannibal fandom is basically giving them the finger, is hilarious.

The only fandom i'm really is in is The Mentalist fandom, which, despite being the most watched TV show in the world (not kidding), is a very small fandom. I could probably name everyone on Tumblr who is actively involved in this fandom. With the exception of one person of whom everyone knows is constantly rude for no reason, the fandom is generally really close-nit and fun to hang around with. The amount of theories and show analysis we do is amazing. I love being in the fandom, although i'm really sad when hiatus comes because the fandom basically becomes a ghost town until the next season.

can i just say this though

not everyone in the supernatural fandom is a jerk, not everyone in the sherlock fandom is a jerk, not everyone in any fandom ever is a jerk. And not everyone in hannibal or any other fandom are nice awesome people either. And not all people who like to ship things are aggressive screeching animals who'll kill you for not liking their ships.

With any group of any people in the world there are going to be goods and bads. Saying "the x fandom sucks" because you've seen or dealt with some bad people is kind of like saying "some people who like the color red wronged me and therefore everyone who likes red is an awful person", for lack of a better comparison.

You might say the bad people are the majority in sherlock or supernatural or homestuck or whatever, but honestly I really think they're not. The bad people might get more attention or be more visible because that's also how it works with everything else, the bad things get the attention. But I really doubt they're the actual majority.

And there's nothing wrong with crossovers, either. If people want to make crossovers of supernatural and doctor who and sherlock and they're having fun and not hurting anyone, why does it matter? And if they want to add hannibal to the mix, you might see it as too much or over the top, but like I said, as long as people are having fun with it and not hurting anyone then it's okay! ovo And some people might be obnoxious about it, but that doesn't mean everyone or even the majority is. As I said, that applies to a looot of things.

It just bothers me when any fandom at all is generalized as all bad.

Edited by Switch

If your a Fan of a series (Books, Movies, Anime etc..) Does that automatically make you a "Fangirl" or a "Fanboy"? I don't consider my self a "FanGirl" just because I do enjoy a series.

I agree with Switch in saying that not all people in a Fandom are jerks. I admit some of the "Fangirls/Boys" I have met aren't the best to be around, but others are rather good company. I recently went to SupaNova (Like ComicCon except in AussLand) and met some rather lovely Hetalia Cosplayers at a meet up (I Admit I do Cosplay, cause its fun. Proud Japan and Finland Cosplayer here). Just chatting, coming up with theories, Discussing Pairings and generally having a fun. I had a wonderful time at my first Con thanks to them.

I'm into MLP:Fim, The Mentalist and Hetalia, That's it really. While I do like certain pairings and others not so much but everyone's entitled to their own opinion really. I'm not going to go hating on a guy if they like something that I'm not fond of. I'm the quiet/background kind of fan, I have opinions but I'd rather keep them to myself. If people are having fun and doing what they enjoy, I see no harm.

Thanks for reading my rather crabby opinion, which isn't really an opinion.

Also, how can someone have more then one OTP, If you have more then One then it isn't really a OTP is it? Right? I'm not really up to date with all this Fan terminology, as I said I'm a quiet one in a small town with not too many people I can relate to this kind of stuff.

Really, I think you're only a fangirl or a fanboy if you want to call yourself that. ovo I don't think there's any specific "criteria" that automatically makes you a fanboy or a fangirl. Tbh i don't know if it even has a definition outside of maybe a bigger-than-average fan of something? But like I said i think it's only if you want to call yourself that?

Honestly I'm not sure. ono

Edited by Switch

I'm most definitely a fangirl and I don't mind being called that. I think 6+ hours on fanfiction.net a night is more then enough qualification.

And I do have preferred "shippings". The majority are not canon, although some have been confirmed by the actors as deliberate-subtext. I get pretty passionate about my favorites, I won't lie. And I will defend the pairings to friends who "just don't understand it".

(My biggest interest is House, favorite pairing Cameron/Thirteen. Also very interested in Once Upon a Time, with a heavy leaning towards SwanQueen pairing.)

But I'd like to think I know how to draw that line, yunno? I don't insult or shame or yell at anyone else in the fandom because they ship my favorite characters differently, or because they don't like characters that I like, or whatever. A certain non-canon pairing I dearly love has a fanbase that can get a little over-the-top with the canon-pairing hate with one of the characters. I don't understand that and I don't like it. I love that pairing but it's a plain fact that on the show she was with someone else, there's no logical reason to hate that someone else just because of that.

I also don't understand the whole concept of "you don't like this pairing?? *RAAAAGE!!*"..... Personal preference, ever heard of it? Thankfully I haven't really experienced that sort of fandom craziness (yet).

Edited by Marie19R

Way too much drama in fandoms. I like what I like....but I don't model my life around it.

I'v evolved through a few fandoms.

Do i consider myself a fangirl?

Not really... when i hear or see that term i think of a 14 year old who has his/her room covered in the latest boy/girl Awesome pics and follows their every tweet, post, hairstyle and lets none speak ill of them.

But then i'v dated trekkies that treat their fandom the same way. Walls covered in posters/memorabilia, and willing to engage in long arguments over who was the best captain as they eagerly await any news about new movies/shows/toys.

I like finding people who share similar interests and yeah, the drama starts when two people refuse to acknowledge that other people may care about the other pairing/captain/doctor/Millennium falcon as much as their care about their own favorite.

We Are Right or WAR is an unavoidable eventuality when dealing with people who care about something enough to want to argue the technicalities of it.

Oh, and Optimus Prime is the correct answer, because he is always the correct answer.

Roll out

No, it is totally Grand Admiral Mitth'raw'nuruodo. xd.png

Anyway, your definition of fangirl is almost the same as mine, except mine includes screaming.

I feel that being part of a fandom is different from being a fangirl or fanboy, I generally dislike fangirl/boys. (Though popcorn is nice.) And like I said before, I dislike rage over me not liking exactly the same things as you. I return to my favorite example, I have never met a SkyDoesMinecraft fan who actively calls gold "budder" who doesn't say something along the lines of: "Hm? Oh! You mean budder!" Or worse ("It's not gold it's budder! *Kills*) when you say gold. I don't mind them being fans, or even calling gold budder, but when you rage over someone disagreeing with you, you've gone to far.

Edited by MasterWeavile898

So the topic of the debate is: What are your opinions on fandoms/fangirls/fanboys in general? Or for a specific fandom? Do you find them obsessive? Do you think you're a fangirl or fanboy? Do some of them take it too far?

fandoms and fan girls/boys in general i have no problem with. but i do have two beefs with fandoms in general and certain types fo fan boys/girls.

first on Fandoms, they're okay until they start taking things too seriously; like goign to war with another fandom and trying to assert their fandom as the best fandom of all time. its a bit much.

2nd on fan girls/boys. are those who are fans of a series that is based off of a book and then proceed to proclaim themselves ultimate fans of said series while refusing to read the source material. these fans urk me to no end; first in Harry Potter, now with AS0F&I.

seriously people. you love the series that much, pick up the bokos and read them, and dont complain about spoilers becasue your too censorkip.gif lazy to read a book. if you really cared about being spoiled then why in all that is lucid are you even watchign the show before reading the books!

you're not a fan of the series, your a bandwagoner. a poser. so get off yer censorkip.gif high horse over it and grow up.

as for the next question of "Do some of them take it too far?" relaly only one coems to mind. the Twilight Fandom, and really this is the Fandom i take the biggest beef with in general.

first off, i've read both the HP Series and the Twilight Series.

2nd, neither of these are even remotely comparable in the least. Harry Potter is 1st tier stuff in Young Adult Fantasy (even though the series has some fallings of its own). Twilight OTOH is b-rated smutt at best. so how the Twilight Fandom could even think it could compare to the HP universe (or even the Percy Jackson Universe) is beyond my comprehension. and seriously, i take less issue with the fans, and more issue with the crap they're fans of. but i digress

as to the questionos if i'm a fangirl. why yes i am.

i'm an obsessive fan girl of Darren Criss.

i'm a total Voldemort Fan Girl

and i'm a recovering X-Files Shipper biggrin.gif

Ugh ok fandoms fandoms

I joined tumblr originally part of a sort of collective fandom called the 'phandom' and it's basically a bunch of people who are creepily obsessed with Dan Howell and Phil Lester (youtubers danisnotonfire and AmazingPhil). Actually, my friend made me join tumblr, and gave me an old Phandom blog of hers that she had only posted a few things on. I changed the url and everything and went off and followed a ton of people.

I really liked the show Glee at the time and I was a big shipper of Klaine so I convinced myself that I was 'in' that fandom but I was never really in the fandom ya know what I mean. I just liked the show a lot and I liked seeing gifs of the show and pictures of the cast members but other than that nope not a serious fangirl

Tumblr finally convinced me to start watching Doctor Who and Supernatural, and I watched one episode of Sherlock but I really never needed to finish the show because literally every detail of that damn show appeared on my dashboard daily. So I know everything about that show and I never watched it. Because wow the Sherlock fandom man they really made the most out of a few episodes

But I was never a serious fangirl about anything even though I actually tried really hard to be a serious fangirl - I just wasn't really. So? Iunno?

I love Doctor Who, ok, I am just so in love with that show but I'm not really...a part of the fandom. I have ships from the show and stuff but I don't read a lot of fanfic about them or cry over pretty drawings of them or anything.

Same goes for everything else. All the band fandoms I was 'in', the Supernatural fandom, Sherlock, etc.

I was never really in those fandoms. I liked the shows, the bands, the youtubers. But I was really careful about getting too involved in any particular fandoms because I really don't want to be associated with them when they do something really stupid or annoying and get everyone mad at them. And while I have gotten pretty emotionally attached to certain shows and bands, I'm just not a big fandom person. I tried to be but it wasn't really like me.

Honestly, I used my tumblr blog mostly just to reblog funny pictures that rarely had anything to do with 'my' fandoms and, about a month ago, I stopped going on tumblr altogether. I log on every so often to scroll through the same artsy renditions of Destiel or the same gifs of All Time Low and just ugh it feels so repetitive. I started unfollowing people whose blogs were just nonstop pictures of Sherlock and John staring at each other and followed more people with actual funny content.

I don't feel like a part of any fandom, I'm more like someone on the outside with a bunch of stuff I like, looking in at all the fun group love happening in each fandom. I have had lots of moments where I have been 'overwhelmed with feels bc omg blaine and kurt kissed in glee guise help can't breahte' but I was mostly just forcing those emotions on myself to feel like a part of a fandom

Idk I guess I'm really just not that emotional, I don't have strong emotional attachments to anything. I stopped watching Glee because it started sucking, I haven't watched Supernatural in forever, I stopped watching Doctor Who when David Tennant left, I listen to some bands I really like but don't obsess too much over the band members, I'm just not..that emotional, and emotions are a big part of being in a fandom so.

Except ok I cried for 20 minutes in the Doomsday episode of Doctor Who

I didn't feel like proofreading this I just decided to ramble about my feelings and stuff and no I didn't use 100% correct grammar idc

Fanboys and fangirls... ugggh, I've had so many horribad experiences with such people that I'm starting to develop a mental allergy to them. They disgust me with their inability to listen to criticism without taking it as personally as a direct insult. These people, be that console, game franchise, movie franchise or otherwise fanboys/girls, are the bane of my online experience.

And this is all because I am the kind of person who finds something wrong in anything and everything. That is not to say I cannot appreciate some great things, like the Avatar series, or the Inheritance Cycle, or the music of Owl City.

But whenever I bring criticism to a fanboy/girl, 9/10 times my cogent arguments are met with blatant insults and bull!@#$ counterarguments.

Thus far my worst experience is with Minecraft fanboys.

They have this disturbing passive-aggressive way of implying that just because you dislike their game, that makes you automatically less intelligent or creative then them. Sure, I might have two college degrees and a PhD. for all you know, but because I don't like Minecraft, you're automatically intellectually superior to me. Right.

Now, I know not all fans of a certain things are like that. But I'm just speaking on my personal experiences here.

Edited by Ælex

I have to say that that is absurd.

I very much like Minecraft and can honestly not understand someone not liking it (tangent is go), actually, I'm curious now, would you mind PMing me your reasons for disliking it? I am just curious and won't force you to like it, though (and another) I will probably argue with you because your reasons will seem dumb to me, but you are allowed to have your opinion.

But that is no reason to assume that you are not as smart as me, though I can't say anything for your creativity level, (once more) and I have seen, and met, plenty of Minecraft players who suck at being creative and stick to fighting mobs, PvP, and adventure maps. Just because you don't like Minecraft doesn't mean you are automatically not creative.

These are the reasons I never consider myself a fanboy, I can take criticism (to my fandoms, generally not my personal opinion) and don't automatically assume everyone has to be just like me.

I have to say that that is absurd.

I very much like Minecraft and can honestly not understand someone not liking it (tangent is go), actually, I'm curious now, would you mind PMing me your reasons for disliking it? I am just curious and won't force you to like it, though (and another) I will probably argue with you because your reasons will seem dumb to me, but you are allowed to have your opinion.

But that is no reason to assume that you are not as smart as me, though I can't say anything for your creativity level, (once more) and I have seen, and met, plenty of Minecraft players who suck at being creative and stick to fighting mobs, PvP, and adventure maps. Just because you don't like Minecraft doesn't mean you are automatically not creative.

These are the reasons I never consider myself a fanboy, I can take criticism (to my fandoms, generally not my personal opinion) and don't automatically assume everyone has to be just like me.

I find nothing wrong with liking it, and I'm fine if you obsess over it, I don't care what you like, like what you want. But talking to me repetitively about it drives me crazy. I would be fine with it, but my best friend, he is a Minecraft addict and he made me watch an hour long video on youtube of someone playing Minecraft. What the crap is up with that!? I don't care if people like it, but if it conflicts with a friendship, that upsets me.

I'm not saying that you are like this, Master. I am just saying my opinion on Minecraft fangirling/fanboying.

I'm like that, I talk about Minecraft all the time. Though I don't force people to watch hour long videos. Minecraft is a sandbox game, you can do whatever you want in it, if you try to force others to do what you want then you are ignoring the spirit of the game, if that makes any sense.

Well, yes, but I honestly don't get the thrill people get by building weird-looking houses. If you want a sandbox game, I recommend the Sims. *gets glares from all Minecraft lovers* xd.png

I like Minecraft, but I'm not active in the fandom. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So, to all of the fanpeople - what's the best and worst fandoms you've ever been a part of?

Best would have to be Fuenciado shipping xd.png

Worst would be Naruto. Ugh.

Best fandom would be like the Fall Out Boy fandom? I like their music but I'm not really 'in the fandom' but a lot of their stuff does show up on my tumblr dashboard, and they all seem like pretty tame people who just really appreciate the band and the music and none of them are too hateful or too crazy, as far as I've seen?

Edit

Same goes for a lot of band fandoms like wow just the surface of each fandom seems really nice like they just really like the music and appreciate it but I'm sure once you go into the depths of all the shipping and arguments over songs then it probably gets very messy but I do not go that far

Edited again because I used 'there' instead of 'their' oops

Worst fandom: SuperWhoLock. Some of the people in that fandom are just unbearable. That fandom (and each of the three fandoms it is composed of) will claim everything they can on tumblr. Literally they will take any post ever and turn it into something relating to Supernatural, Doctor Who, or Sherlock. And then there will be a stream of stupid comments like 'omf and the whOVIANS win IT agIN tHYY WIN THE POST yES WIN IT WIN YEAYY WHOVIANS ahahHA WE RUINED U HIPSTER POSt!!1!'

And they get way too proud of every stupid little thing they do. Like if someone edits Sherlock's face onto, like, a butterfly, and puts a 'funny' caption - I guarantee there will be multiple comments along the lines of 'guISE THE SEHRLOCK FANDOM IS cRAZY WOW PSYCHOPATHS omG WILL THIS HAPPEN TO THE SUPERNATURAL FANdom DO YOU THINK?1?!'

Ughhcchh

Disclaimer

Yes I'm aware there are some people in that fandom who are not like that

I know there are a lot of you and I'm not directing this post towards all of you

Please don't hurt me ahhh

Edited by glamoursea2

Worst fandom: SuperWhoLock. Some of the people in that fandom are just unbearable. That fandom (and each of the three fandoms it is composed of) will claim everything they can on tumblr. Literally they will take any post ever and turn it into something relating to Supernatural, Doctor Who, or Sherlock. And then there will be a stream of stupid comments like 'omf and the whOVIANS win IT agIN tHYY WIN THE POST yES WIN IT WIN YEAYY WHOVIANS ahahHA WE RUINED U HIPSTER POSt!!1!'

And they get way too proud of every stupid little thing they do. Like if someone edits Sherlock's face onto, like, a butterfly, and puts a 'funny' caption - I guarantee there will be multiple comments along the lines of 'guISE THE SEHRLOCK FANDOM IS cRAZY WOW PSYCHOPATHS omG WILL THIS HAPPEN TO THE SUPERNATURAL FANdom DO YOU THINK?1?!'

Ughhcchh

Disclaimer

Yes I'm aware there are some people in that fandom who are not like that

I know there are a lot of you and I'm not directing this post towards all of you

Please don't hurt me ahhh

oh my god i cant stand a lot of superwholock bloggers

and it really annoys me how they think they 'rule tumblr' even though theyre not even the biggest fandom around, and they constantly talk about how stupid hipster bloggers are?? i dont get why a lot of fandom bloggers hate hipsters so much. theyre not hurting anyone, theyre just posting photography and stuff. i dont get why people have to be so obnoxious about disliking them.

the mishapocalypse made me die from intense secondhand embarrassment.

the best fandom ive been part of was the OFF fandom. everyone's really nice and polite and it's one of the only fandoms where I've felt accepted. plus there's pretty much no fandom drama and there's so much cool fanart!!

the worst fandom I've been in was the my little pony fandom (no offense to MLP fans - a majority of them are super nice!!). But there was so much drama all the time, and there were a lot of really horrible people who did horrible things. I remember, I used to run a MLP askblog, and I had to shut it down because I was recieving so much hate because I didn't want to draw 'clop' art. I just had a lot of bad experiences with the bad side of the fandom, I ended up leaving after around 2 or 3 months (which is a shame - the better side of the fandom is really great and the show itself is nice).

Best is definitely Die Anstalt/Parapluesch fandom. Tiny, relatively friendly, nobody jumps you for not shipping a thing or not drawing well... It's really nice.

Worst ones I've been part of... Well I'd have to say the Homestuck and My Little Pony fandoms unfortunately just because of all the terrible and/or obnoxious people in both of them. Homestuck fandom has physically attacked people and verbally abused people (the latter of which happened to an artist I really like which completely drove her away from the fandom never to return (and some of them still won't leave her alone!)) among other things, and My Little Pony fandom seems to attract an astounding amount of misogynists and sometimes even what would appear to be neo-nazis. Ick.

(I'm still part of both though. Not everybody in them is terrible. :L)

Edited by Pika_Oi

Best Fandoms I've been in:

Mlp- Yes, I know there is a lot of drama and annoying people, but I've met a lot of awesome people in the fandom. I usually just ignore the bad fans.

Animal Crossing- From what I have experienced, a lot of them are nice people who just enjoy the game, and there's little to no shipping drama biggrin.gif

Any fandom for my favorite bands- The shipping does get creepy, but overall, they are cool.

Worst Fandoms:

SuperWhoLock- Dear lord these people are annoying. They are so snobby towards non-fandom people and they are pretty hypocritical too.

A lot of them I know of whine about weeaboos, then they turn around and act the exact same way.

Homestuck- There was a time where my friends were OBSESSED with Homestuck, and would talk about is 24/7, so I pretended to like it just to fit in. I did not enjoy It at all. I didn't like the attitude of the crazier fans. I know someone who got jumped at a convention by homestuck cosplayers.

Hetalia- From what I can tell, they have calmed down, but this one is pretty self explanatory. I hated the way they misinterpreted characters like France, and Spain.

Warrior cats- The books are boring, and the fandom is annoying. I'm ashamed this was my first big fandom.

(I know there are sane fans of the fandoms stated above. This isn't directed towards you guys)

Edited by Sarcastic_Octopus

Welcome to my school. All the girls except me and my best friend are always talking about One Direction nonstop. When it's not One Direction, it's Justin Beiber. I just find One Direction and Justin Beiber annoying. All I want is the girls to stop talking about them for 1 day.

~Spam removed~

Edited by Shiny Hazard Sign

Welcome to my school. All the girls except me and my best friend are always talking about One Direction nonstop. When it's not One Direction, it's Justin Beiber. I just find One Direction and Justin Beiber annoying. All I want is the girls to stop talking about them for 1 day.

~Spam removed~

This. I cannot tell you how much I can relate to this. 1D aren't even that great (In my opinion).

I'm really liking hte Attack on Titan fandom.

ESPECIALLY the Eremin shippers. It's like, a glorious fandom and I just feel so at home there. Like I actually can relate to more of these people than in other fandoms. Like I belong. Except the censorkip.gif s who are posting some Not Okay stuff glorifying abuse. >_> But every fandom has people who glorify crap they really shouldn't, and I'm rather hoping this will mostly just be a phase...

But there's just so many super awesome people in it.

Kingdom Hearts is the worst fandom I've ever been in, though. I don't know if it's changed, but I stopped being active in that fandom years ago because I just couldn't stand how psychotic and misogynistic it was.

Not sure if many of you are familiar with all the different Kpop fandoms, but recently the fandom for the Kpop group "Exo" (commonly known as Exotics) got banned from watching Exo preform live at the weekly music shows because they were breaking rules and putting people's live in danger. They were filming performances and taking photos when it's against the rules and continued to do so even after being told to stop. They were also running into the road to chase after Exo's van when they left the building. This was happening on a regular basis, so they successfully became the first fandom banned from watching the live shows.

After they were banned, many of them snuck into the shows by claiming to be fans of other artists preforming, then proceeded to boo the artists they claimed to be fans of.

Here's an article that explains most of what happened: Link

Anyway, as an avid Kpopper, but by no means an Exotic, I'm rather upset and saddened by this. Upset because the fans are failing to realize that the image of their idol group is tarnished by the actions of their fans. If Exotics weren't notorious for being crazy, I'd probably like Exo a lot more than I do. Don't get me wrong, I think Exo is a very talented group and I really like some of their music, but I just can't get into them as much as I do other groups because I don't want to labeled as an "Exotic." Plus, Exo was probably very embarrassed by their fans and maybe felt awkward when they had nobody to cheer them on during the live show. I just think the fans that broke the rules should really not be calling themselves fans at all because they were not considering the effect it would have on their idols. And I am also saddened because when they snuck into the live shows after being banned, they stole the seats of true fans of the other artists. That's just wrong.

Anyway, feel free to discuss if you want. ^-^