DragCave Wiki

Dragon Cave Wiki

Ah, I was not aware that the image had been banned from the forums (I'm in Australia time), as far as I had seen it was being posted everywhere and in people's signatures so figured it should be up on CBR so people knew what others were posting around. No one can delete page history, but I can delete the sprite itself from the wiki's image database. Apologies for my confusion!

Edit: For the person who did edit it, please remember that mods here do not have "modly authority" on the wiki- the wiki is just a collaborative project by fans and doesn't have to abide by DC Forum rules (this was in fact what it was built on, during the time when guides were prohibited and many users sacrificed their scrolls to build what we now have as the wiki). We remove things by request out of respect (particularly for the artist), but not from 'authority' of specific users. Wiki staff & editors also ask that the same respect be shown to us by DC staff.

Edited by bluesonic1

If that request was what is required to ever get that dragon released (60 days secrecy etc), then that's authority enough for me - I *liked* those eggs! :dry: Don't poop on me for following release requirements.

5 minutes ago, Ruby Eyes said:

If that request was what is required to ever get that dragon released (60 days secrecy etc), then that's authority enough for me - I *liked* those eggs! :dry: Don't poop on me for following release requirements.

The message was not to "poop" on you and I apologise that you interpreted it that way. It's difficult because wikis being collaborative projects means it works very different to how things would on this forum. For example, a wiki admin is not "in charge"- they are just a user trusted with additional tools to protect and guide the wiki as well as mentor others.

The message was more for the forum moderator who may not be aware that the DC Wiki does not have to abide by DC's rules, so we as editors appreciate a respectful request to remove something and we likewise reciprocate the respect by removing it. Demands via authority hold no meaning on a wiki, and goes against the purpose of why it was made in the first place. When the wiki first started, it was very much in constant battle with the site itself; as I mentioned above, many had their scrolls burned for it. We've reached the point we have now by sharing mutual respect for each other, and I don't want that lost.

Edited by bluesonic1

My demand was based on the exclusivity mentioned in this post: 

The wiki falls under the realm of an "external site", correct? This is a part of DC's rules that extend beyond the site itself. I'd hate for the dragon to not be released because the wiki violated exclusivity rules. 

My apologies, as I know I did demand it. Next time I will be more tactful in my requests.

13 hours ago, bluesonic1 said:

The message was not to "poop" on you and I apologise that you interpreted it that way. It's difficult because wikis being collaborative projects means it works very different to how things would on this forum. For example, a wiki admin is not "in charge"- they are just a user trusted with additional tools to protect and guide the wiki as well as mentor others.

The message was more for the forum moderator who may not be aware that the DC Wiki does not have to abide by DC's rules, so we as editors appreciate a respectful request to remove something and we likewise reciprocate the respect by removing it. Demands via authority hold no meaning on a wiki, and goes against the purpose of why it was made in the first place. When the wiki first started, it was very much in constant battle with the site itself; as I mentioned above, many had their scrolls burned for it. We've reached the point we have now by sharing mutual respect for each other, and I don't want that lost.

No - true; the wiki, as an external site, doesn't HAVE to abide by DC rules. But it would be a shame if by not doing so, the wiki spoiled a planned release after an unfortunate accident. I have never seen any mod here as demanding by authority. But it was a very awkward situation which needed sorting fast. I had no idea you were in Australia - DC being  a world wide site can complicate things but all is well now, no ?

Peace all round please - that was a very pretty egg and I hope to see it again soon.

You're right Fuzz in that it doesn't have to abide, and that it would most definitely be a shame- that's why we're happy to comply with requests. But demands are different to requests, and I just wanted to make that distinction clear because of the nature between the two sites, I want to make sure respect remains both ways so we can avoid the battles the wiki had in the past. But you're right in that purpledragonclaw is happy to keep this in mind moving forward, the breed's info is all off the wiki (the image was deleted with a message left behind so others don't re-upload either by mistake) so peace all round and no harm done :) (And yes lol, the time difference makes keeping track of news a pain as they tend to happen right when I'm at work XD)

The issue, of course, was gently catastrophic, and there was panic. Panic always leads to oopsies. All over now :)

2 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

The issue, of course, was gently catastrophic, and there was panic. Panic always leads to oopsies. All over now :)

Yeah I think I jumped on the boat too quick because I was a day late and freaking out that no one had updated the wiki, and I could see all the posts about it and images in people's signatures so I scrambled to get everything on the page then went to sleep XD

Firstly I wanted to say thanks again for all the work you guys do on the wiki. You be busy bees! It's really great to have a resource for finding bits of trivia spriters have thrown out that would otherwise go missed, or remembering, say, exactly what dragons breed green stripes. 

Second, I was wondering if this SA would be added to the site? https://dragcave.net/lineage/rJ4hb I know JOTB has been pretty quiet lately, did you need to wait for her permission or, like me, did no one realize there was an SA version? :P 

I no longer edit the wiki but I know back when I was an admin the policy was to ask permission of the sprite artist to allow the alt to be on the wiki

Edit: Seems to still be the policy, as shown in the attached screenshot

Screenshot_1.png

Edited by Midnight-Skyline

Didn't realise it got released, thanks for letting us know! I'll flick a message now to JOTB- checking in with the spriter is also helpful if they have other alt sprites of this dragon that they'd like to have shown (for example the Grave Dragon). Edit: Response received and sprite added- thanks everyone!

Edited by bluesonic1

On 11/2/2018 at 1:44 AM, angelicdragonpuppy said:

There's a new pygmy wyrm zombie sprite made from red-tailed wyrms. Not in the encyclopedia yet, but here's an adult:

https://dragcave.net/lineage/GK36g (being shy right now... check back when it's dark ;) )

Brilliant, and well done on the successful turn :D Will update the wiki as soon as I can with these.

I have a question.

• Do not add the spriter's alts of a dragon. (The DC-Wiki team will ask the artist(s) for permission to upload them)

The DC-Wiki team, is that just you, bluesonic? Can anyone else PM the artist for permission?

At this stage it's just myself as others have fallen inactive. Was there a particular SA that's public and not yet on the wiki?

Let us just say that the scroll containing one of the newest alts is viewable. The other isn't. So I'd say they aren't both "public" yet, anyway.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

Hi all! In preparations for the festive event/release to come, I thought I would share some common tips and messages in hopes that will help or inspire the community to coming forward with whatever information they have to contribute.

• You don't need to be an admin to edit- anyone can do it! Most pages are even available to edit by those who don't have Wikia accounts. "Admins" on wikis are just experienced editors with access to maintenance related tasks.
  • Have some new event or dragon info to add but unsure where? Consider this page to be your dumping grounds. Add it in anywhere without worry- myself or other editors will fix it up if something's wrong.
  • Got an image to add but don't know how? That's okay, even just uploading to the wiki is a huge help! Click here to upload (or click here if you have lots of files to upload at once)
  • Has someone on the forums begun writing a guide? Please get in touch with them first to get the okay, then feel free to link it or adapt for Currently Being Released. Don't forget to add the guide creator's name for credit unless asked otherwise by them :)
  • Still super nervous and would rather contribute somewhere hidden where experienced editors can then access? Edit this page! (You don't need an account to edit this page either.)

I'll also be working on a post-release guide for experienced editors, as many have noticed I just lack the time nowadays to dedicate to the wiki. If anyone has any questions, or think something else would be useful to include in the list above, please don't hesitate to ask!

Edited by bluesonic1

heyo.

Gonna leave a note here where it might be better seen than on the wiki forum, but we could use some help keeping the wiki on top of recent releases. Mostly gathering things like egg hatching sequences/dead eggs, and additional breed trivia from the release threads.

You can see a list of articles that are not yet complete, and see the checklists of what still needs to be done for each article here: Special:WhatLinksHere/Template:New_dragon_checklist

Any help is greatly appreciated! :) Thanks!!

Quick ref of what we need under the spoiler:

Spoiler
  • Skysilk Dragon
    • Needs any breed trivia collected from release thread
  • Mariner Pygmy
  • Aeria Gloris Dragon
    • Needs hatching sequence sprites collected
  • Kovos Pygmy
  • Geminae Dragon
  • Vremya Drake
  • Lihnseyre Dragon
  • Galvanic Wyvern
  • Avea Pygmy
    • Needs dead egg collected
    • Needs encyclopedia data collected
  • Rift Wyrm
    • Needs dead egg collected
    • Needs encyclopedia data collected

I need some usage help.

Specifically, with regards to the search function.

Why does searching for "strange" find Sockpuppet Strangler's page, but NOT any of the pages with eggs that have "strange" in their description?

Why does the search NOT find ANY dragon pages?!

The search engine is unfortunately something that's built into Fandom.com, and individual wikis have no control over. It does have some major gaps in its capabilities. I've looked through several communities' posts about the search engine, and I haven't found anything concrete about why Fandom's search engine can't search articles by phrases. :(

If you're trying to find a particular egg by description, you may just have to use the browser's "Find" functionality on the Which Egg is Which? page.

On 7/25/2019 at 11:34 PM, Stromboli said:

If you're trying to find a particular egg by description, you may just have to use the browser's "Find" functionality on the Which Egg is Which? page.

That's the problem. I was NOT looking for that word in egg descriptions, but in breed descriptions. I only noticed that it doesn't even show the EGG ones, which have that list of their own, as you mentioned.

Or use google with site: added

Hey folks,

I'm working on an update to the Which Egg Is Which? page. Since it's one of the most visited pages on the wiki, I'm fielding community input before implementing the changes.

The changes mostly boil down to:

1. Replacing the "Rarity" column with "Habitat"

2. Changing how colliding descriptions are handled on the tables

With an optional:

3. Dividing the eggs out by breeding sub-group (dragons, two-headed, pygmy, drake, non-dragon)

Full notes on the update can be found on the wiki forum: https://dragcave.fandom.com/wiki/Thread:27160.

Drafts of the changes can be found here:

• Draft 1: Column and description collision updates
  • Draft 2: Additional table division update

If you have any questions/comments/suggestions, please let me know!

@Stromboli I really like all of the changes. I think replacing the rarity with habitat is a great idea. The rarity designation was often not very accurate anyway and habitat seems more useful.

I also like seeing the table divided by breeding group.