angelicdragonpuppy

AP Sorting Ideas

Let's say someone breeds 50 messy Horse dragons all at once. Rather than the AP getting swamped and having all of them show up at the same time, it'd only display the first one that breeder bred; once that was picked up, the second they'd bred would take its place, and so on and so on. In theory it'd keep people who breed things people aren't interested in collecting from swamping the AP, while people who breed things that people do want (pretty lineages, rares, whatever) would keep having their stuff picked up and would have all their eggs go through the cycle pretty quickly.

We actually did have this in the AP for a short while, but it ended up vanishing sometime around when the AP stopped blocking.

Oh okay and when did the AP stop blocking the cave? I haven't hunted in a while so that went completely unnoticed. -lol-

I do support the one egg per breeder thing. The other one not at all. I get sick of seeing a solid wall of the same unwanted egg. I say one per breed and the lowest time is the one that shows first. :/

But junkyards aren't a collection of a single person's junk. If I'm digging through the AP junkyard, I want to find junk from more than one person.

They can be. And as it's a junkyard, you don't get to choose what you can see. What you see is what you get.

Perhaps I should've said the AP was a landfill? xd.png

You can't expect to find beauties in the AP all the time, is what I'm trying to say. X3

Oh okay and when did the AP stop blocking the cave? I haven't hunted in a while so that went completely unnoticed. -lol-

It's been like this for a while... Few months, I think. Because of that, even more people are abandoning things and (expectedly) taking advantage of it. tongue.gif

Edited by cfmtfm

- Showing only one egg per the person who bred or first dropped it at a time

Just mentioning this because I've noticed a few days lately where the AP has been clogged by a wall of one breed all from the same breeder (thanks a lot, dump breeders e___e),

I don't mind some people dump breeding. Ive been DYING to get one of those pretty terrae/pink checkers, and I just cant find one!

But man, some of these eggies... I can totally tell are the same breeder (naming schemes and all) and yet, theyre really not very great eggies. I tend to incubate them and put them back in, but theyre messy and sometimes visibly inbred. I dont see a way you could toggle that though, with specific breeders. =/

Though, feasibly.. what if some of their eggs would be more loved than others? Say, again with that checker. Some people may be more interested in a third gen, some may want the eighth. but if no one gets tha tthird gen, you wont get to the eighth. That'd be a little sad.

Edited by girlgamerjen

I liked it when the AP alternated between "shortest time" and "one-of-each-breed", but I think that was not very popular at the time.

I liked the alternation because there are features I like and dislike about both

Shortest time:

Being able to pick from several eggs of a breed I collect vs Walls of breeds I don't

One of each breed:

Variety vs Seeing the same messy lineaged egg over and over

So alternation was the best of both worlds for me.

What about a biome-sorted AP?

You'd be able to switch between the AP and only find the same you find in a specific biome.

What about a biome-sorted AP?

You'd be able to switch between the AP and only find the same you find in a specific biome.

No no please no. Half the fun is looking at the variety ! (and what pokemonfan says, too.)

In addition to what I said earlier, to be honest the idea of 1-per-breeder sorting confuses me. For example, what about CB dragons, which do appear in the AP sometimes? In case of CBs, would the cave be considered the "breeder" and only one spot in the AP would be reserved for CB eggs? Then it's really making AP only worse, because right now one can often find several CB eggs in the same pile, and that sorting option would make the AP display only bred eggs (except one CB).

What I don't understand about the suggestion is why it is even needed. The AP is a place for eggs which the previous owner didn't need, and other users can pick them up if they want. Nobody forces you to take those! And now that the AP doesn't block the cave like it used to, it's not even a problem any longer.

The AP isn't supposed to provide everyone with CBs or shinies, it's the *abandoned* page, good dragons being a rarity there is only logical, just like different bred dragons, even bred by the same user, inbred, messy etc. are to be expected there. Suggesting something that would reduce the amount of "junk" shown in the AP seems like acting against its nature to me.

If you want, idk, a CB Horse egg but the AP is full of bred Guardians, wait for some time and try your luck later. *shrugs*

Edited by ZzelaBusya

And now that the AP doesn't block the cave like it used to, it's not even a problem any longer.

I think TJ is just fiddling around with things and the AP will start to block the Cave again - not sure when, though. Please do correct me if I'm wrong. tongue.gif

I honestly agree with you though. Eventually (if the AP starts blocking the Cave again) the AP will empty out because people will want to pick up more eggs to unblock the Cave. The AP is not a place to get as many abandoned rares as possible - it's for any egg that is unwanted by its previous owner. It's an abandoned pile, not a treasure chest.

I don't think it's so much there are messy eggs per se, it's that there are tons of one kind of egg from the same breeder, with pretty much the same lineage over and over.

I am looking for a specific type of metal fail egg for an IOU, went to the AP and thought how wonderful that there were a bunch of that type of eggs to look through. Then spent the next hour finding that they were all PB's from the same breeder, so I gave up in frustration.

And it's great if you can wait for some time and then just try again, but that is obviously easier said than done for some people. I don't have internet access at work, some days my hunting is limited to an hour here and there it can be VERY frustrating if that whole hour is nothing but the same thing over and over again.

I don't want to see breed types limited because that makes it harder to find what I'm looking for. But I very much would like to see breeders limited to showing a small number of eggs at one time, so that there is MORE variety to choose from when I am looking.

Maybe something along the lines of each breeder can only have x number of each breed showing? How hard would that be to code for though?

I don't see why we couldn't have more than one sort option. Why not introduce the option to sort by time and go lowest-to-highest, and also to sort by breed and do one-per-breed?

And now that the AP doesn't block the cave like it used to, it's not even a problem any longer.

I think TJ is just fiddling around with things and the AP will start to block the Cave again - not sure when, though. Please do correct me if I'm wrong. tongue.gif

Oh, I have no idea actually, so I'm sorry if I'm mistaken. x) I do hope things stay as they are concerning it, but well, if TJ has some plans for it, why not.

I am looking for a specific type of metal fail egg for an IOU, went to the AP and thought how wonderful that there were a bunch of that type of eggs to look through. Then spent the next hour finding that they were all PB's from the same breeder, so I gave up in frustration.

And it's great if you can wait for some time and then just try again, but that is obviously easier said than done for some people.

Don't you think that hunting in the cave is pretty similar from the point of view that, if you see that there are three Nocturnes sitting in a biome and not moving, you either decide to pick those to move the cave a little or choose to come back later to try again?

Would you want to change the way the cave drops eggs simply because it's frustrating that you can't seem to see and catch the egg you want? I hope not, and then why change the way AP does it?

Frankly speaking I just don't think it's all worth the hassle, you know? Even if there's suddenly a wall of eggs of the same breed (and bred by the same breeder), they don't really stay long anyway, eventually people pick everything up, especially if those eggs are low-time (which is the case right now).

Edited by ZzelaBusya

Don't you think that hunting in the cave is pretty similar from the point of view that, if you see that there are three Nocturnes sitting in a biome and not moving, you either decide to pick those to move the cave a little or choose to come back later to try again?

Would you want to change the way the cave drops eggs simply because it's frustrating that you can't seem to see and catch the egg you want?

Actually I rarely hunt the cave anymore except for new releases, for just that very reason. I can't stand the tedium.

I don't care that they wouldn't be 'good' eggs or whatever, it's just the boredom of seeing the same ol' same ol' over and over makes me a little crazy.

So if I could find a workable method for changing cave drops that wouldn't cause people to just pick up the good stuff and leave the blockers, I would. wink.gif

In addition to what I said earlier, to be honest the idea of 1-per-breeder sorting confuses me. For example, what about CB dragons, which do appear in the AP sometimes? In case of CBs, would the cave be considered the "breeder" and only one spot in the AP would be reserved for CB eggs? Then it's really making AP only worse, because right now one can often find several CB eggs in the same pile, and that sorting option would make the AP display only bred eggs (except one CB).

What I don't understand about the suggestion is why it is even needed. The AP is a place for eggs which the previous owner didn't need, and other users can pick them up if they want. Nobody forces you to take those! And now that the AP doesn't block the cave like it used to, it's not even a problem any longer.

The AP isn't supposed to provide everyone with CBs or shinies, it's the *abandoned* page, good dragons being a rarity there is only logical, just like different bred dragons, even bred by the same user, inbred, messy etc. are to be expected there. Suggesting something that would reduce the amount of "junk" shown in the AP seems like acting against its nature to me.

If you want, idk, a CB Horse egg but the AP is full of bred Guardians, wait for some time and try your luck later. *shrugs*

I think the point is to let people search the AP easier. If someone is looking for horses but the first page is all water walkers they could switch to one per breed and have one horse to look at, which is better than none.

If someone is looking for dumped pyramid lineages and the first page is all stairsteps from one breeder they could turn on one per breeder and condense those stairsteps to one egg.

Different people like different things. The horse hunter in the first example might not care about lineage at all, so they could help clear a few totally messy horses if they could actually find them.

The AP probably has hundreds [if not over a thousand] eggs in it right now. All of them real and waiting to be chosen. [different from the cave, where eggs that are not taken are deleted, so you don't want to let people sift through them] So what's the harm in giving people options that might let them see more of what they want?

I'm actually going to propose another thing for the AP. Sort by breed. BUT it would only be the "common" breeds, so you wouldn't be able to sort by gold or tinsel or shimmer or magma etc, but if you're looking for pebbles you could select it to only show pebbles. And you could ALSO turn on one-per-breeder so you see more variety. Basically another tool to help people find what they want, but not people who are stalking the AP for rare drops.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

I'm actually going to propose another thing for the AP. Sort by breed. BUT it would only be the "common" breeds, so you wouldn't be able to sort by gold or tinsel or shimmer or magma etc, but if you're looking for pebbles you could select it to only show pebbles. And you could ALSO turn on one-per-breeder so you see more variety. Basically another tool to help people find what they want, but not people who are stalking the AP for rare drops.

I like this idea a lot. There are commons that I would definitely use a feature like this for. It would make hunting for shimmerkin, tinselkin, or metalkin much easier, and allow for a lot of digging for interesting/beautiful lineages. It would also allow for CB searchers to have their pick, and for those looking for messy lineages for freezing to do that.

I think the point is to let people search the AP easier. If someone is looking for horses but the first page is all water walkers they could switch to one per breed and have one horse to look at, which is better than none.

If someone is looking for dumped pyramid lineages and the first page is all stairsteps from one breeder they could turn on one per breeder and condense those stairsteps to one egg.

Different people like different things. The horse hunter in the first example might not care about lineage at all, so they could help clear a few totally messy horses if they could actually find them.

The AP probably has hundreds [if not over a thousand] eggs in it right now. All of them real and waiting to be chosen. [different from the cave, where eggs that are not taken are deleted, so you don't want to let people sift through them] So what's the harm in giving people options that might let them see more of what they want?

The reason I am leery about giving the option to sort by breed is the fact that those who do not sort in such a manner will intrinsically be at a disadvantage to those who do. As it stands, if a red pops up, anyone in the AP currently has a decent chance of getting it, but with an option to filter, someone could be sitting in the AP, ignoring the wall and grabbing up every user-created rare(like reds, RCs, and other desirable breeds). I understand it would be a choice, but it seems like an unfair one, cripple yourself to get a choice among breeds, or don't, and have a greater chance at that useful uncommon but have no choice if two were to pop up.

Well, TJ could easily not have user created rares [or new releases for x number of months] in the breed filter. The point is to allow people to pick through the commons easier, not let them stalk for rares.

I bet TJ could even automatically generate the list. Anything that sits in the cave for an average of more than x amount of time is on the list, which means is based on user desirability rather than an outside thing. Prize dragons not. Hybrids would have to be done by hand, and I'm not sure which side they should fall on.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

I wonder whether all of these options everyone has been proposing could be implemented from a coding standpoint.

I am overall okay with the way the AP is, as it doesn't block, and if there is a wall, it seems to clear fairly quickly. (I have never seen a wall.) And as someone mentioned, if it was one egg per breeder, CBs might be relegated to the Cave being the breeder, so that we only get one CB per, and I do not want to be fighting with everyone to click on that one CB eggie.

I am glad the cave isn't blocking, and all of those mass-bred eggs have to fall eventually, so I would rather they be in the order bred. If there are a lot of breeders mass breeding, I would think a different sorting option would possibly move the backlog to a different time or have it show up differently but not get rid of it. It still seems like it would affect the Cave one way or the other eventually. Maybe at the end, all that are left are a lot of eggs by mass breeders, since there were more of them, and they have piled up. I am therefore okay with the way the Cave is now, if I had to choose.

An option to toggle sounds like an interesting compromise, but I am not sure it would be realistic from a coding standpoint, and it may slow the Cave to a crawl for everyone (i.e., more or unexpected lag).

ETA: On a random check, the AP showed 12 varieties of eggs. A second refresh showed 16 varieties.

Edited by missy_

Well, TJ could easily not have user created rares [or new releases for x number of months] in the breed filter.  The point is to allow people to pick through the commons easier, not let them stalk for rares.

I bet TJ could even automatically generate the list.  Anything that sits in the cave for an average of more than x amount of time is on the list, which means is based on user desirability rather than an outside thing.  Prize dragons not.  Hybrids would have to be done by hand, and I'm not sure which side they should fall on.

It would still have the same problem though. As it stands, the eggs sit around at 4 days X hours, now imagine if the reduction in numbers shown let things further up the chain be viewed. What I mean is, is if say because of this, you could now see eggs with 5 days X hours as well as the usual, and a rare is abandoned at 5 days, who do you think is going to see it first? Even if currently, there is at least one enough breeds at 4 days X hours to keep this from happening NOW, will there be any guarantee it won't happen if people cherry pick the commons they want out of there and thus fewer breeds at 4 days X hours to choose from?

Edited by Nectaris

And why is that a problem?

I also don't understand what you're saying about rares at all. The only thing that would let people get access to rares sooner is the one-per-breed, and that's not what I'm talking about.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

And why is that a problem?

I also don't understand what you're saying about rares at all.  The only thing that would let people get access to rares sooner is the one-per-breed, and that's not what I'm talking about.

I'm saying that if all at X time were ultra commons, thus filling a normal person's view, and someone else was using 1 per breed, they might see eggs with more time left on them. Even with rares excluded, surely if say there was a bunch of sunsongs at 5 days 2 hrs, a rare at 5 days would show up only to the person viewing 1 per breed PURELY BECAUSE THERE IS LESS TIME LEFT THAN OTHERS SHOWING UP, not necessarily because it is a separate breed.

I am horrible at explaining things. Looking at the AP, without refreshing, I see eggs with the time range of 4 days 15 hour to 4 days 18 hours. Now lets say with the one per breed thing, it goes from 4 days 15 hours to 5 days 3 hours. Realistic? I don't know yet, but I wouldn't dismiss the possibility. A silver is dropped with 5 days 1 hour left, who of these two will see it and who won't? Because of the timestamp, unless it made it where you could NEVER see a rare when on 1 per breed, it would show up for those with the wider range of times, i.e. the person viewing 1 per breed..

Edited by Nectaris

Yea, and I expect anyone looking for rares would use one per breed. I like the idea because it means if someone abandons something shiny for the AP hunters it doesn't have to sit there for days before someone can take it.

Yea, and I expect anyone looking for rares would use one per breed. I like the idea because it means if someone abandons something shiny for the AP hunters it doesn't have to sit there for days before someone can take it.

And that is EXACTLY why I don't like it. I don't think that there should be an option to cherry pick out the good stuff while leaving others with the chaff.

But everyone has the same ability. And for the one I suggested [show only one breed] it would only be commons, so you can't just camp on the shimmer page.

But everyone has the same ability. And for the one I suggested [show only one breed] it would only be commons, so you can't just camp on the shimmer page.

But only if they use it, and many have stated how they don't like it. Anyone who chooses not to use it for whatever reason is extremely disadvantaged.