angelicdragonpuppy

AP Sorting Ideas

They don't like it because that's not their hunting style in the AP. I'm sure if they're searching for rares instead of lineages they'd use it.

They don't like it because that's not their hunting style in the AP.  I'm sure if they're searching for rares instead of lineages they'd use it.

But what if, just by chance, someone wants both? Or would like to hunt for lineage and be able to grab something nice if it shows(which really would dry up if this was implemented)? Also, again, it would leave a lot of things like grays, pebbles, waters and such, while as it stands you can still afford to be picky over less common commons, as anything remotely nice would have been picked over by breed hunters.

Edited by Nectaris

I guess it depends on what your priorities are. Mine is giving people the tools to find what they want in the AP, like a pebble with a nice pyramid lineage, or letting people see more than the 4 breeds that are showing on the first page at that time.

Actually, I think filtering by breed might solve the problem. Sure, the tinsels are going to have to get to the first page before people can grab them, but people can still see more breeds than the ones that happen to be on the first page by trying the different filters.

They don't like it because that's not their hunting style in the AP.  I'm sure if they're searching for rares instead of lineages they'd use it.

Well, I hunt for rares/nice CBs in the AP and yet I don't like that option. I often manage to get something I want, so I don't need more "tools".

I don't like the idea of people seeing different things in the AP at the same moment (I mean, user A seeing a different pile of eggs than user В)...I think it's supposed to look the same way for everyone. You come to a pile of eggs which other people decided to throw away, why would someone/something suddenly sort them for you?

And I have to agree with Nectaris regarding the disadvantage of those who would stick to the old AP.

Edited by ZzelaBusya

I search the AP for balloons. I grab any rares I see, which doesnt happen often. Both options hurt my style of hunting because I dont mind surfing through loads of other commons to find balloons, and rares popping up are a pleasant surprise.

I'm actually going to propose another thing for the AP.  Sort by breed.  BUT it would only be the "common" breeds, so you wouldn't be able to sort by gold or tinsel or shimmer or magma etc, but if you're looking for pebbles you could select it to only show pebbles.  And you could ALSO turn on one-per-breeder so you see more variety.  Basically another tool to help people find what they want, but not people who are stalking the AP for rare drops.

I do support this, but what breeds would be defined "common"? As far as I know, we don't have 'official' rarities.

I also agree with Nectaris, but I'm at school atm so can't explain things fully. (Will probably post later, but basically) People could be missing out on rares without noticing. I think of that as an unfair dis/advantage. :I

edit: Basically this post. To be honest, I much prefer the current AP layout we have at the moment. Like I said earlier, the AP is like a junkyard/landfill (not so sure about the second definition xd.png) and you can't expect to just run away with all the nice stuff.

Edited by cfmtfm

As I posted later, "common" could easily be automatically defined through how long, on average, they sit in the cave. Outliers thrown out, of course. If a species usually goes within 10 seconds of appearing and one sits for 4 minutes because nobody is in that biome that instance is thrown out. I'm not sure about hybrids.

I wonder whether all of these options everyone has been proposing could be implemented from a coding standpoint.

I am overall okay with the way the AP is, as it doesn't block, and if there is a wall, it seems to clear fairly quickly. (I have never seen a wall.) And as someone mentioned, if it was one egg per breeder, CBs might be relegated to the Cave being the breeder, so that we only get one CB per, and I do not want to be fighting with everyone to click on that one CB eggie.

I am glad the cave isn't blocking, and all of those mass-bred eggs have to fall eventually, so I would rather they be in the order bred. If there are a lot of breeders mass breeding, I would think a different sorting option would possibly move the backlog to a different time or have it show up differently but not get rid of it. It still seems like it would affect the Cave one way or the other eventually. Maybe at the end, all that are left are a lot of eggs by mass breeders, since there were more of them, and they have piled up. I am therefore okay with the way the Cave is now, if I had to choose.

An option to toggle sounds like an interesting compromise, but I am not sure it would be realistic from a coding standpoint, and it may slow the Cave to a crawl for everyone (i.e., more or unexpected lag).

ETA: On a random check, the AP showed 12 varieties of eggs. A second refresh showed 16 varieties.

Missy and Nectaris just expressed most of my thought on the matter, even though my first reaction was to applaud the suggestion of choice.

Sometimes the AP takes a lot of picking over to find anything potentially useful, but as pointed out, we're mostly picking through other people's rejects, with the odd pleasant surprise tucked away for the fast/fortunate.

And in response to some earlier comments, I also devoutly hope that TJ, having neatly solved a problem of Cave blockage and AP clearance issues making many miserable and really spoiling the fun for YEARS, wouldn't un-solve it by bringing back Cave blockage and resurrecting the boring chore of AP clearance of unwanted, full-time eggs preventing play and the appearance of more interesting eggs behind Cave blockers apparent for only 5 minutes on the hour, and even less during some previous periods.

This game is supposed to be fun, not unpaid labour, lol, and now it finally is - why would he want to change it all back?

Why not instead work on ways to get the Drops moving as well, by either adding eggs sitting in the cave for too long to the rear of the AP to become desirable Incuhatchables or ERs by the time they show up, or by reducing the numbers produced of chronic Blockers and using a larger pool of assorted commons more likely to be picked up, in order to balance the all-sacred ratios?

What's wrong with bred 'good eggs' being Incuhatchable but still Influenceable when they show up on the AP, when there's a daily supply of whatever 'good eggs' were bred each day appearing anyway?

After all, eggs remain fresh for DAYS, lol.

At any rate, that's my inflationary 20 cents...