Fortune86

CLOSED

Eli hadn't followed his army back through the trees, but had remained where he was. Controlling the revenant was hard enough without placing half of his focus into avoiding tree roots. No, he could manage them fine from here. He didn't want to cause any accidents.

He heard someone screaming. It sounded like Kanya. Eli hoped she would keep her head and fight back. Just running away would solve nothing. The revenants would simple follow.

There was more screaming, of terror and pain. Eli knew the corpses would not kill, but that didn't make him feel any better. Feeling sick he leaned against a nearby tree and tried to block out the sounds, putting his entire self into controlling his undead army.

Ethril watched from the skies as one by one creatures started rising up from the ground. She'd watched enough movies and read enough books to know what they were. She had no idea if these were part of the arena or if they were part of someone's powers. An idea formed in her mind as she waited for the zombies to make their moves.

The scream was enough to tell her that the zombies were enough away from the fields for her to land. The second scream of pain wrenched her heart and she started gliding closer to the trees. Ethril groaned and her ears twitched. Her original plan was to land in the field, blast the entire area with a bright flash of light, and then take down the zombie controller if there was one. Now...She couldn't let someone get killed.

When she guessed she was close to where the scream had originated, Ethril grabbed hold of the top of one of the trees and folded her wings. She fell down onto the first branch that could hold her strength and then looked around. She had to go down a couple more branches before she could see Kanya. Her wrist was at an odd angle and there was a zombie holding on to her.

There was just enough light near Ethril that she was able to use it to focus on her shield. When used right, her shield could act like a laser as it was forming and cut through things. The problem was she had to have complete focus and when she was forming it from a distance then her aim was worse. She took an extra minute to make sure she had her aim before pointing a finger at the zombie and focusing.

A dome of light grew quickly around Kanya, one side between her and the zombie cutting it's arm off. Beads of sweat were already forming on Ethril's forehead. Keeping a shield up at a distance from herself was difficult.

Kanya was still crying, begging the zombie to let her go but nothing seemed to be working until a bright light appeared before her. With tears running down her cheeks she fell silent as she saw the arm of the zombie was cut off by the light. The zombie arm was still holding tight to Kanya’s wrist but she kept movie backwards away from the zombie. She didn’t know where this barrier came from but it was helping her.

The zombie whose arm was severed didn't seem perturbed by the loss of it's limb. In fact it tried to resume attacking, attempting to walk through the barrier that held it at bay.

The disenbodied arm maintained it's grip. Even seperated from the rest of it's body it was still full of the dark magic that drove it.

Other zombies began to gather around. The barrier that protected Kanya was also trapping her. Should the barrier fall she would be entirely surrounded with little hope of a clean escape.

Glancing about the common room, Alia decided she'd had enough of standing about. "Does anybody have a hair brush?" she asked the room. Of course this was an item entirely unimportant and slightly ridiculous compared to what was happening outside, but if these were her last days, she didn't want to spend them feeling unkempt.

Maria had wandered through to the doors leading into the arena, having finished her bowl of porridge. She halted by them, simply listening. They sounded completely terrified. She couldn't help but be morbidly curious. What was making them scream so?

Cassandra had just taken up a quiet spot in the corner, the first time she was able to take time for herself that morning, but she heard Alia's request for a hairbrush. She felt bad when the common room remained silent. Despite drawing attention to her self-induced state, she spoke up. "I don't have a hairbrush, but I do know how to straighten hair without one." Her voice had returned to the nervousness that had accompanied it when she first arrived in the common room. She blushed slightly, suddenly feeling ridiculous with her offer, considering how badly she looked at that time.

Alia glanced across to the small girl. No-one else had offered. She smiled weakly. "That would be nice, thank you," she said, accepting the offer. She took a step toward Cassandra, hesitating. "Would you like to do it here or in one of our rooms?"

Cassandra hesitated and bit her lip in thought. "I would really rather not do it here, and I don't know if you'd be comfortable if we did so in my cell, given Andromeda's current state. Although I would like to keep an eye on her, I think she's stable for now. Your cell?" Her younger age showed in her bright eyes, still very innocent of the terrors of the arena. It was a hidden worried gaze, but atop was one that seeks approval.

((Shadowwolf has PMed me to say that due to computer issues she has decided to withdraw from the RP. That means that Lydia is about to have a nasty accident and Samael will be placed in the next Death Match.))

Lydia had been seperated from the others. Using her echolocation she had managed to avoid several of the zombies as she tried to get her bearings, but there were simply too many to avoid indefinitely.

Hoping to confuse her pursuers or at least trick them into chasing another target Lydia created a copy of herself. Her copy ran towards the zombies and waved its arms in a bid to grab their attention while Lydia herself slipped deeper into the trees.

Lydia hurried through the forest as quietly as she could. She had been so absorbed in getting away from the frightful creatures that she had lost track of the others. She had thought this was to be a battle amongst themselves, but the foul smelling zombies had attacked moments after they had entered, right after Eli walked into the forest.

Lydia froze up as the realisation hit her. The zombies had come from the same direction Eli had gone. Had they already attacked and killed him, or was he the one who had summoned him? Thinking about it, she had no idea what Eli's powers were.

Some movement behind her caused Lydia to spin around. Using her echolocation she determined that it was not another walking corpse, but one of the others.

"Eli?" she ventured.

"I'm sorry Lydia" came a soft voice. "Really, I am."

Before Lydia could ask why he was apologising Lydia felt something grab her around the waist. It wasn't a zombie, but something else she could not work out.

Screaming she felt herself get thrown through the air. She smacked into a tree and Lydia tasted blood her in mouth. Scrambling to her feet she tried to run as the unknown creature stomped after her, but her feet caught in the tree's roots. The creature grabbed hold of her arm and pulled. In her terror Lydia felt her ankle snap as the roots reluctantly released her and Lydia was thrown against another tree.

Sobbing with pain and terror Lydia desperately tried to work out what was attacking her, but her echolocation was failing her. She couldn't pick anything out apart from trees.

Once again she was picked up and thrown hard against a tree, but this time she caught a stub of branch which pierced her side. Lydia stumbled back and felt the blood flow from her abdomen. She fell back amongst the purple flowers and felt the last remaining strength in her legs abandon her.

Lydia cringed as she heard something approach her and crouch by her side, but to her surprise the hand that touched hers was gentle. Human.

"I'm so sorry" cried Eli's voice. "I didn't mean...I.."

Eli looked around in anguish. He had not meant for her to be thrown quite so hard. The terrible tear in Lydia's side was allowing blood to stain the forest floor. Could he help her? Was he allowed? She might not live to see the end of the match otherwise.

((Yikes, I wonder what prompted that violence o.o ))

((I was just trying to liven things up a bit. This battle is going kinda slow xd.png))

Alia dipped her head, still a slight smile on her mouth. "Just follow me," she said, turning around. Absentmindedly holding onto either side of her towel, she walked toward her room. She sat on her bed, waiting for Cassandra. It was very nice of her to offer her help. Simple things felt so much more important now.

Cassandra gave a quick nod and followed Alia to her cell. Although she followed, her mind was still stuck on Andromeda. She wondered if she had awoken yet, but she supposed she'd know if that happened. A small sigh later, she was in Alia's cell.

Cassandra reached inside her pocket and pulled out a small wooden dowel. It seemed strange as something someone would carry around, but Cassandra had her reasons. Sitting next to Alia, she placed the dowel underneath a mess of her tangled hair. Slowly but surely, Cassandra released the hair from their knots with her right hand. Then, she curled the hair around the smooth dowel and gently ran it down its length. What came out was perfectly straightened hair.

"My grandmother taught me this. She always preferred having me do it this way than having a brush, since the brush would yank on the knots. I got pretty good at it." She pulled away once the last of it was through and rubbed her eyes tiredly. "I had this done to me too countless times, since way back when my hair was darker than now. I still remember how my grandmother loved complimenting its shade." She sighs again, then puts her chin on her knees. "I do hope I get to see her again..."

Alia couldn't help but take a small amount of enjoyment in the feeling of her hair being gently untangled. She simply sat there, silent as the small girl helped her. "You're very gentle," she commented after she spoke about her grandmother. "I... I hope so." She didn't want to make the poor girl cry, but the prospect didn't look good. "I really do hope we get out of here." She turned around so she was facing Cassandra again.

She looked up at Alia and gave a slight nod. If Cassandra knew what was behind those arena doors, she might not have been so hopeful. "I'm really nervous for when I have to face whatever it is in there. And with my abilities suppressed..." She held up her hands as though expectant of something, but shook her head after a short while.

She turned her head in an innocent but curious pose. "Do you think we'll get out of here? That we'll be able to somehow?

((*chucks soup tins at Spirit & Ethril*

Posty posty?))

Eli picked Lydia up and turned around with the intention of carrying her to Ethril, but he hadn't gone more than a few paces when he realised he was too late. Lydia was gone. He had killed her.

Awash with sadness and guilt Eli dropped his guise of invisibility and looked down at the dead girl in his arms. She looked so peaceful, as though she could be sleeping. He knew she wasn't though. He of all people could tell.

He walked over to a tree and gently laid the body at the roots of a large tree, amongst a thick clump of purple flowers. With Lydia gone only Kanya and Ethril remained. If he didn't want them to suffer the same fate, he had better go and see what was happening.

As he walked away the dark creature he had created to fight Lydia faded away into nothingness. Eli would not risk using it again.

Alia hesitated. She didn't want to make the poor girl all sad, but she had to tell the truth. "I... Cassandra, I don't think so," she admitted softly. It would take a terrific amount of power to break the arena limits or something. Power she didn't have. She fiddled with a piece of her black hair. "We've just got to survive for now."

"Oh." She bit her lip and shivered, pulling her knees in closer. Suddenly, she got a terrifying thought. "Andromeda isn't doing so well...and Lydia is in the arena. I...I don't know if either of them will make it." She shifted slightly. "Can I count on you if something goes wrong?" Her wide eyes gazed into Alia's, hopeful for her answer. "There's still so much I don't know here..." Edited by Rarek

((I'm waiting for Ethri unless I just go without her))

((Well it has been over a week since she last posted so I'd say go ahead.))

Alia looked at Cassandra for a long moment. Then, she glanced away. "I won't hurt you unless I have to," she finally said. She couldn't make promises to a girl she didn't know. If it came to her life or Cassandra's, she'd be selfish.

Cassandra sighed and clasped her hands together. "I suppose that's about as much as I can expect. But...we won't have to kill each other…I mean, the arena is only challenges right? The only people who didn't return were because of accidents." It was clear she still was unclear on most of why she was here.

The squeeze of the zombie arm was gripping tighter and tighter. Kanya was starting to feel hopeless and the pain ran through her whole body causing her to feel weaker than before. Slumping down to the ground Kanya tried to loosen the zombie grip with her free hand but she wasn’t successful. It was at that moment she could feel her heart beating within her mind, the same as when she was at the monastery that faithful night. The light barrier that was around her wouldn’t last long; it was getting weaker and weaker as the zombies hammered against it.

Kanya sat huddled in the centre of the dome waiting for her demise when she looked at her aching and bleeding wrist. Maybe she could heal it to lighten the pain she thought, thou it might be rather useless. In an instant a white flame wrapped around her wrist, feeling it being healed but she also took notice that the zombie hand had disintegrated. The white flame reacted to the zombies arm like the black flame normally would. Realising what could save her live Kanya rubbed her tears away and jumped up.

“I hope no one would be close by.” She spoke looking up at the tree tops. Closing her eyes she concentrated hard on what she wanted to happen with the flame. The barrier was at least not the same as hers so she could use her powers easily. It took a couple of seconds but a small white flame had sparked above the tree tops and slowly started to spiral down towards Kanya like a small flame tornado. The nearby trees was set on fire immediately and the flame tornado was growing bigger and bigger as it continued its way down to Kanya and the zombies.

((I'm guessing the white fire acts like normal fire when not burning creatures weak to it?))

It took Eli a few moments to realise he could smell smoke and that he was starting to feel warmer. Wondering what was happening he hurried forward and saw that several trees had caught fire. As he watched the flames crept along branches and down tree trunks and spread further across the forest. As the fire consumed the sweet smelling flowers their scent was quickly disguised by the burning fumes.

To his horror Eli realised just how dangerous the fire was. It wouldn't take long for it to spread throughout the entire arena, surging from tree to tree as it was. It could kill everyone.

Coughing as the smoke started to fill his lungs Eli continued onwards back towards Kanya and Ethril. He didn't know which one of them had started the fire, but he hoped they could stop it again.

The fiery tornado had finally reached down to Kanya, spinning in its fury around causing roaring sounds and blocking her view from the zombies. The barrier that once protected her had disappeared from the impact of the tornado and destroyed the zombies that were the closest to her turned into ashes instantly. Feeling relaxed and enjoying the healing power of the fire Kanya became slightly absorbed in the sensation.

Breathing in the flames Kanya noticed a different taste in them. It took her a few seconds to realise it was smoke mixed with the flames that gave it a different taste. Snapping back to reality she quickly clasped her hands together. The fire tornado came to a halt, almost freezing in its current state. Kanya’s eyes darted on the outskirts noticing that there were still zombies wanting to reach her. Frowning at them Kanya loosened her grip on her hands, allowing them to fall slowly to her sides. The fire tornado started to rumble louder and louder. When Kanya’s hands returned to her side the white fire tornado exploded in all directions, destroying most of the area. Within seconds that it had happened the fire retread to the sky like it was sucked up by a vacuum only to completely disappear with a white puff of smoke in the sky. Kanya stood alone in the centre of a charcoaled circle making sure that she had extinguished all the flames and destroyed all the zombies around her.