Fortune86

CLOSED

Alia dashed for the door when it was apparent that he'd thrown something dangerous at her. And logic told her it was most probably a bomb. As she came to the door, it exploded behind her; the girl was flung forward and out onto her elbows and knees. They immediately stung with scrapes and cuts, but she sprang up lest an attack come for her.

((I just want to point out that it is only an ordinary match at the moment, not a Death Match. That won't stop people from dying though.))

Jack's eyes widened with horror when a blaze of fire suddenly blocked his escape route. He barely managed to stop himself before he ran straight into the flames. Looking around wildly he saw Cassandra floating high above. She'd trapped him.

The bomb he had tossed went off a second later and destroyed the building behind him. Jack didn't see it though, as he was thrown forwards by the force of the blast straight into the flames he had tried to avoid.

Screaming he dropped his weapon and desperately tried to slap out the flames, but he was on fire. His cries grew louder and more desperate as the fire burned straight through his clothes and ate away at the straw that form his body. It only took a few moments, but it wasn't long before the scarecrow burned to little more than ash.

With both Siren's and Jack's deaths, that left only Cassandra and Alia in the area. One of them had to triumph over the other before the arena doors would open.

((RIP Jack.

Well done Cassandra. You killed two people in a 'friendly' match. o3o))

Edited by Fortune86

((Whoops! happy.gif I guess that's one way to get closer to a clear winner!))

Cassandra put a hand over her mouth. The fire was meant to trap him, not kill him! Now she had just killed two people today. She had hoped that it wouldn't have to be her!

She flew down as fast as she could to where Alia stood, putting a hand on her shoulder. "Are you alright? Is anything hurt badly?" Her voice expressed genuine concern for the girl, who had just come out of a building that no longer existed. "Come on, let's go back to the common room."

Cassandra began her walk towards the arena doors, but they were still firmly shut. Dazed and confused, she whipped around, hands ablaze with fresh star bolts, and turned back to Alia. Then she turned her attentions to Zygard in his booth. "What more do you want?! There are already two dead!" No response of course. She looked back at Alia in horror, shaking her head. No...I can't do it, not her too!

After a few moments of silence, Cassandra stood tall and determined. She extinguished her star bolts and closed her eyes, standing in front of Alia. "Finish the match! It must be done!"

((Rarek? Forfeiting or refusing to fight is not allowed, unless you want Cassandra's bracelet to activate?))

((I was considering it. Although it seems Cassandra was confused about a lot of things. Remember that she doesn't have all the information she needs since August doesn't return to explain things to new people, and it's up to community members to tell her things.))

"D--Deathmatch!? W-Wait..how many people have died so far!?" Neut started to panic, he felt his heart race in his chest. There was a very real possibility that he would die here in a horrific way. There's a real chance that the lady in front of him could kill him!

"S-So what's going to happen when this match ends? Will I have to go in there?!" He started to feel sick. Sure, he had killed people before, but they were on his streets, they were the ones who did wrong and deserved it. They didn't fight back, they just ran. What happens when he has to fight someone stronger than him?

He sunk down in a chair, only now realising the sick and twisted place he was in.

Andromeda noticed how upset her words had made poor Neut, and she started to stand on shaky feet. Once up, she managed to hobble her way to the hatch at the wall. Once she was presented with a bowl, she took that and put the empty bowl back. A grumble came from behind the hatch, as though Andromeda had just nicked a second helping the being wasn't allowed to give. Nonetheless, the bowl was whisked away. She very carefully hobbled back to Neut with the full bowl, giving it to him before having to sit on the floor beside him. She put a reassuring hand on his knee.

"I wouldn't worry too much. You won't be placed in a death match as your first match. Besides, there doesn't have to be one victor, unless there are only two people." She smiled and extended a hand in offering. "I may not appear in the greatest of shape..." Andromeda took that moment to cough into her arm, which made her laugh. "Case in point. But believe me, I'll get better, and I've been here long enough to know what happens here. It seems to me you'll need a friend eventually. So what do you say?" She smiled again, her hand still outstretched for Neut to accept or decline.

Neut flinched a little and retracted slightly when he felt Andromeda's hand on his knee. He didn't usually spend time around people who were so open, especially in hostile circumstances where death was a possibility. He stared blankly into the bowl, realising that the poor woman who was obviously sick and struggled to stand earlier had just walked across the room and brought back food for him. Surely there must have been something she saw in him, but Neut couldn't figure out what it was. Maybe she really was strong and didn't want to see anyone else die. Or maybe she was weak and needed someone to protect her. Neut knew that creating an ally also created enemies and it has cost him far too much in the past. But what did he have to lose here?

"Sure." He gave a quick, shy smile and shook the lady's hand.

Andromeda smiled again. "Wonderful. I won't disappoint you." She rose once again to her feet, taking the nearest chair and settling into it. She sighed slightly. "So, if I'm to help you, I'll need to know a bit about you. A name is useful, but only for getting attention." Andromeda's lips turned up slightly and she chuckled at an undisclosed joke before looking back at Neut. She also made sure to make subtle hand motions into the void of the empty room, ensuring he understood they were alone. "Where did you come from, and what can you do?"

Neut cleared his throat nervously and glanced at the ground quickly.

"I uhh...I guess I'm a vigilante. Or a bounty hunter. Before I woke up here, I used to hunt down people that I thought were wrong." He paused momentarily and shifted in his seat, wondering if he should stop there or whether she would press him for more information he wasn't particularly proud of. He took the safe route and changed topic. "As for what I can do, well I guess my abilities are more street-based. I can grapple across buildings and shoot fire. But I can also be defensive, I can make a smokescreen, and I have a special sort of explosive." He looked up at Andromeda curiously and sighed. "You know I always thought my abilities were a bit lacklustre. Since I'm chasing people, I have to rely on dodging and unarmed combat a lot. Hey what about you?"

Alia stared with horror quite clear in her gaze. Dead? Jack was... Dead? He had turned out to be terrible in the end, but he'd seemed so nice before. She looked up as Cassandra yelled to Zygard, then turned to her. So they still needed to fight eachother? It really was each to their own here. "I'm sorry," she whispered. Then, raising a hand, she fired two pulses of energy at her chest.

Andromeda chuckled. "You seem to have a full toolbox at your disposal. Something for every occasion. In my opinion, that's not lacklustre, that's very useful."

She knew that some aspects of her powers were able to slip through the all-seeing eye of the bracelets, but only parts that weren't offensive. She smiled at Neut and made as though she were activating her powers. Naturally, the bracelet blocked anything useful but her eyes lit up beautifully, two orbs of pure white light.

"I am an energy manipulator. I can both move energy and create solid objects with it. I am also a telepath, and a slow regenerator." She blushes slightly as her eyes fade to normal. "Although the regeneration isn't really clear with how bad I look right now."

Cassandra's eyes widened as Alia's pulses rocketed towards her. The urge to run was overpowering, but she stayed put. She squeezed her eyes shut, waiting for the inevitable. And then, they hit her.

Cassandra screamed as she flew high into the air, flipping at least six times before landing with a sickening crunch onto the ground. She was breathing hard, trying desperately to stand up and gasping for air from having the wind knocked clean out of her, but she couldn't stand. She was mercifully free of broken bones, but every muscle was screaming at her. She was in immense amounts of pain and in no condition to fight. And that meant the match was over. Alia had emerged victorious.

Cassandra laid back down and shivered from pain. She was alive, that was what mattered. She closed her eyes and waited for the match to cease officially.

((Strictly speaking Cassandra threw that fight, which is not allowed. I'm going to let it roll this one time, but please don't do that in future.))

The grounding of the arena doors brought Eli out of his stupor. There had been another battle. Had anyone been hurt...or killed?

Knowing he couldn't stay holed up in his cell forever anyway he got up and opened the door. Peering out down the corridor he saw the remains of the arena battlefield fading away as it resumed its default appearance of plain stone. Alia was standing a short distance beyond the doors, with a struggling Cassandra on the groudn before her.

Without thinking too much about it Eli instinctively stepped out of his cell and hurried down the corridor to help. Entering the arena he crouched down by Cassanadra and picked her up the best he could. She looked like she needed the healing properties of her cell.

Lucas glanced around and saw a large pile of ash and the broken remains of Siren. So the battle had had its casualties after all.

"Let's get out of here" he told Alia.

Turning on his heel he carried Cassandra down towards her cell, using his elbow to push the door open. He laid the girl on the bed and stepped back, watching as the healign stones came to life.

((Alright, I'll keep that in mind. Perhaps her infraction deserves a warning from August in person? Gives you a chance to use him again tongue.gif ))

Cassandra opened her eyes in confusion as she felt as though she was being lifted into the air. No, she was being lifted into the air. An unknown person was carrying her out of the arena, and she shifted only slightly trying to see who it was. It could only be a couple people now, there weren't many left.

Then she was laid on her cell bed, and she could see her helper. She managed a slight smile as she looked up at him. "Thank you Eli. I don't think I could've gotten out myself." Her smile was short lived however, the reality that she'd killed two people settling in once again. She covered her eyes, soundless tears reaching her eyes. "I killed them...I killed them both. How could I have done it..." She was really speaking to no one in particular, but she looked at Eli when she said them. It occurred to Cassandra that that likely wasn't an accident.

A thought arose just then however. She looked around the cell, then back at Eli. "Where's Andromeda? What happened?"

When Cassandra admitted to having killed Siren and Jack Eli shook his head.

"It's not your fault. It's this place. It's what we have to do to survive. I'm sure you wouldn't have hurt them normally."

Eli could understand her guilt, after all, he had killed today as well. Yes, it had been an accident, but that didn't make him feel any better. It was worse knowing that it could happen again.

Something seemed to occur to Cassandra and she looked around the cell. She then asked after Andromeda. Eli looked around too. He had been so preoccupied getting Cassandra to safety he had neglected to notice that her cell mate wasn't where she had been left.

Stepping out of the cell Eli looked up and down the corridor and saw Andromeda down in the common room with a boy he hadn't seen before. Another newcomer?

"It's okay" he said to Cassandra stepping back into her cell. "She's in the common room."

Maria had been snoozing off in a chair, when she awoke to voices around her. Aha. She straightened up, blue eyes flitting up and down the newcomer. "Oh, hullo," she said, rubbing at her eye with the heel of her hand. That other girl was there too. What was her name...? Andromeda. That was it. "Welcome to Hell."

Alia gulped, looking after Eli as he carried Cassandra out. She didn't look too good. But she was alive. She trotted after them, and out of the doors. Feeling relatively deaf with her hearing back to normal, she followed the two into Cassandra's room. Her bruises were healed as well, as she stood there looking at her. "You were so brave," she said softly, after the others' talking had ceased. "I'm sorry about having to do that."

Despite being in a slightly weakened state, Andromeda couldn't help but roll her eyes at Maria's harshness. She glanced at Maria out of the corner of her eye. "You couldn't call it anything less dramatic? Surely scaring people isn't very productive." She sighed and turned back to Neut. "It is tough in here, but not impossible. You'll be around a while, I'll make sure of it."

Some of Cassandra's worry was immediately lifted when Eli mentioned Andromeda's location. Her smile returned and she closed her eyes in contentment. "She's alive...I knew she'd make it!" She ran her hands over her face, utterly relieved that Andromeda was finally cured of whatever ailed her.

She heard Alia's voice next, complimenting her act of selflessness. Cassandra smiled slightly and turned pink. "I'm sure you'd have done the same for me. It seemed to be the logical way out of this." Cassandra turned to Eli quizzically. "It does seem strange though that it would be an option. I'm...not going to be punished, am I?"

((Feel free to throw in something that explains why Zygard did nothing here, or that he actually will do something about it punishment wise. Close a loophole there.))

Neut, who was transfixed on Andromeda's explanation of her powers, snapped out of his trance when he heard the words "Welcome to hell." His heart skipped a beat...just when he thought he was going to be safe. Even Andromeda's attempt at comforting his didn't work this time, his eyes darted nervously to the other girl in the chair. He noticed others were fumbling around in the hallway, though he couldn't pick up any specific lines of dialogue. He didn't particularly want to go down there and meet them. And he didn't particularly want them to come up here and meet him. He tried to change the subject again.

"S-So umm what do we do between fights? Is there anywhere we can train to stay in shape?" Not that he ever trained, he would usually sleep in his apartment. But this wasn't nearly as comforting, and he just desperately wanted to clear his mind, even for a second.

Kanya lay on her bed drifting between being a sleep and being awake. The ordeal with Eli had caused her to be emotionally exhausted. In her dazed state she could hear the arena doors opening. Was there already another battle? She never heard the doors open to begin with. Eventually she pushed herself out of bed and walked towards the door. She opened it a little bit to see what was going on. Indeed there was another battle but who all was in there.

((Time for some consequences. Apologies for the exceedingly long post, but I've got a lot to cover that can all be gotten out of the way right away.))

Andromeda chuckled a little at Neut's question. "If you want places to train, the only two places are here in the common room and out there in the arena. Naturally your powers would be missing here and reactivated out there. Zygard keeps us on a pretty strict leash." She let out a quick sigh, clearing her head before she rambled on further. "In any case, we'll have to find some strategy to help you if you really wish to train." Andromeda sat back in her chair slightly, stretching a few stiff muscles.

It seemed that as soon as Cassandra had asked her question of punishment, she shook it from her head. "No, if I was to be punished, it would have happened by now. I highly doubt Zygard would do anything so late, especially when he could've done it in the arena. Besides, what can he do to me out here?" She smiled slightly, as though satisfied with her reasoning.

Soon, the healing stones had stopped their work, and Cassandra flung her legs over the edge of the bed. Testing out the damaged muscles from before, she gingerly stepped down and stood on her feet. She grinned. "Looks like I'm good to go."

Cassandra made a point to look at Alia once she had stood up. In a softer voice she spoke gently. "Listen, I know you're going to feel guilty for a while that you took the opportunity that was presented to you, but don't worry. I understand that there wasn't an easy way out of the situation, and it was the best way I can see how. And look!" She skipped in the spot a few times, ending with a twirl. "No damage that I can see or feel!"

And with that, she thanked Eli for carrying her to her cell. "I'm going to say hello to Andromeda. It seems like forever since she's been awake." Cassandra walked out slowly from her cell, taking a glance down the hallway. She grinned as she spotted Andromeda and began to run.

"Andromeda! Thank goodness you're alright!" Cassandra seemed to cross the distance between her cell and the common room in no time flat, and soon she was at the doorway.

Andromeda was startled as she looked up from talking to Neut, seeing an excited Cassandra bolting down the hall. She smiled at the young girl. "Good to see you too, I'm glad you've survived while I was out."

Cassandra was about to take a flying leap onto the chair Andromeda sat in, when she was halted abruptly by an immensely sharp pain in her wrist. Confused, she looked down, suddenly remembering the wristband she wore on that arm. She was shocked to discover her own blood trickling down from under the bracelet.

"What's going on?" Cassandra looked down at her wrist confusedly, flexing her tendons experimentally. It was only then that she realized her hand was extremely difficult to move. Further confusion set in, and then horror as it became apparent that her hand had become completely immobile. She looked up at Andromeda in hopes of explanation.

Soon, her entire arm couldn't move and the infliction traveled further, and her legs began to feel heavy. Every step she took began to be heavier until she had to shift her weight, knees and legs locked. Tears flowed down her cheeks as realization set in, and she screamed at the top of her lungs.

Finally, her walking halted, and soon her violent twists stopped too as her hips and torso were consumed. It was here that the immobile pieces of Cassandra began to turn grey, her skin cracking and dissolving into solid rock. She lifted her head, more tears flowing down her face. "Andromeda...help...m..."

But then her words stopped too, and her face began to crack. Finally, Cassandra could speak no more. The last of her skin disappeared beneath the unrelenting rock, and her final tear escaped and slid down her cold features. And there she stood. Cassandra Andersson, the first stone statue claimed by Zygard and his sorceress' bracelets.

Edited by Rarek

Eli was confused by the conversation between Cassandra and Alia. What were they talking about? Why did Cassandra fear punishment? When she turned to look at Eli they only thing he could do was give a baffled look. He had no idea what she meant.

Cassandra however quickly dismissed her fears and swung herself off her bed. She tested her bosy for any lingering injuries, but she seemed quite pleased. Eli was about to let his confusion slide, but when Cassandra spoke to Alia again doubt set in. It sounded a bit like...Cassandra had refused to fight. But she wouldn't, would she?

Cassandra set off to go and find Cassandra and Eli quickly turned to Alia.

"What did she mean?" he asked urgently. "What opportunity?"

However, before he could get any answers he heard screaming. Pushing his way out of the cell he raced down the corridor towards the noise, but stopped abruptly when he saw the source. Cassandra.

Eli watched in horror as the transformation took place. Before him Casandra twisted and writhed in a desperate, futile attempt to escape the poison coursing through her. In a few moments she fell still, locked in a stone prison.

"Cassandra" he breathed.

Kanya stood in silence behind her door only peeking around every time she caught a word. She was really afraid go out. Not because of Eli this time but because of certain words she heard from the girl’s room. It didn’t make sense but it didn’t sound good either.

“Maybe I should go hear what is going on.” she whispered to herself when suddenly she heard a lot of commotion. Without thinking she left her room to go look was is happening but stopped in her track a little behind Eli. Kanya placed her hand over her mouth stopping her self from screaming. Her heart was pounding with fear while a tear ran down her cheek. Is this how they were gonna end?

Neut contemplated Andromeda's words. Perhaps he could set up something in the common room here like practising hand-to-hand combat, or even--

He flinched as someone else closed in on Andromeda, though the fear quickly vanished once he realised it must have been one of her friends. And was that...blood...?

He could only look on in horror at what happened next. He had a front-row seat to watch this girl, unknown to him, slowly writhe and cry and scream out. Her face twisted in horror as she slowly became paralysed and Neut cowered backward further into his chair. In only a matter of seconds, she had been consumed by crumbling, grey stone before his very eyes.

"W-What the hell was that!? A-Andromeda!?" he shrieked before staring down at his own bracelet in horror.

"Nobody....nobody touch her" said Eli putting his arms out to keep those behind him back.

He very cautiously approached Cassandra. She had indeed turned completely to stone. There were small cracks here and there, so Eli made sure to keep from knocking her. Only Cassandra's body was stone, her mind would still be active. The last thing Eli wanted to do now was accidentally smash her.

The door leading to the solitary room that was used as a point of entry swung open, and August stepped through. The tall man looked around at the faces of horror and gestured towards the girl of stone.

"I did warn you. This is what will happen if you break the rules. Next time the bracelet will activate right away."