arlymaye

Sending Gifts To Users

If you got birthday prezzies every day - what would be the special joy of a birthday ?

Maybe we could do little "thank you" sticky notes or something biggrin.gif

If I find a nice egg who's parents' owner isn't on the forum, I could use it to thank them

If you got birthday prezzies every day - what would be the special joy of a birthday ?

UNbirthday presents!

Of course. ninja.gif

I am neutral either way. A thank you card system type thing might be nice, Or some variant of hoarding. But a PM and an eggy from the wishlist works as well for me.

I don't like the idea of a year-round thing, I like the idea that flowers or other gifts are holiday-related. Makes it special. If you want to gift someone something outside of a holiday, why not give them a special egg or hatchie? Most people are happy to receive gifts like that.

I do like this idea in ways, but worry about it in others.

I mean, on the one hand I like the idea of a collection of gifts/sprites that users can send to each other. I think that it'd be possible to have a general collection for this purpose and still have special ones for the events. That wouldn't ruin it, for me. :3

The only concern I have is that even if it's hidden from view... People will still be aware of what they do not have, and it could very easily lead to begging. I think we'd have to have a thread for exchanging.

It kind of makes me sad that people are so against being able to send gifts on a regular basis... :/ Lots of other sites incorporate gifting year-round, is it really a big deal if DC does as well?

It kind of makes me sad that people are so against being able to send gifts on a regular basis... :/ Lots of other sites incorporate gifting year-round, is it really a big deal if DC does as well?

It is if there's a reason I'm on DC and not those other sites. ^^

There's nothing to stop you sending a pretty egg or a hatchie.

There's nothing to stop you sending a pretty egg or a hatchie.

Except if they're scroll locked or don't want to be scroll locked with your gift right now.

I don't really know how to word this to not sound ungrateful. Yes, people can send eggs and hatchies as thank you gifts year round. But, as a person who already have quite a large collection of dragons, even super ultra rare ones, and one who simply have no scroll space to spare for such thoughtful gifts (most of the times), a little something besides dragon gifts are very much welcomed.

It is if there's a reason I'm on DC and not those other sites. ^^

Oh, I know. :3 I guess I'm just puzzled because an option like this wouldn't be mandatory.

Except if they're scroll locked or don't want to be scroll locked with your gift right now.

There are people who wanted to opt out of this event or who specifically don't want a type or color of flower. Another year round gifting thing doesn't guarantee someone will want that gift, either.

If I'm going to gift, I'll offer eggs. I don't need something else to gift.

(And I always give the receiver the option of turning me down as I know we all have different scroll goals!)

There are people who wanted to opt out of this event or who specifically don't want a type or color of flower. Another year round gifting thing doesn't guarantee someone will want that gift, either.

Good point, Sockmeistress !

I do agree that if this became a thing on the site, there should be a way to turn it off/block gifts. Some people may not want gifts at all, some may only want certain ones, some may only want one of each, etc.

If I find a nice egg who's parents' owner isn't on the forum, I could use it to thank them

I like this idea biggrin.gif

It could even be a bit personalized, with a box to write a short message.

Maybe I've missed a post or two in here, but has there been any talk about *what* it is that you want to send to users? Because that makes a huge difference, at least in my mind, with supporting the suggestion or not.

I sort of like the notes idea, especially if it could be used to send an "awesome lineage!" note to the ex-owner after I pick up an interesting egg. But of course it would have to be optional, something users can block, etc.

But if it's just little random trinkets... *shrugs* I don't remember what it's called, but there's an older thread around here about finding/searching for random little treasures, things that basically do nothing but it might be fun to go hunting for them. That's sort of what I'm reminded of here.

DragonCave is, by it's very definition, "Dragon Cave is an online adoptables site. The goal is to grab dragon eggs and raise them to adulthood by having others click on them. There are over 90 different kinds of dragon to collect; how you play is completely up to you." In general, that's how I want it to remain. The holiday events are rare enough, and yet even then there are people who don't like the events.

I don't want DragonCave to stray too far from that quoted definition (found under Help-Introduction). A few holiday events are one thing, but when it gets to the point of sending random users random "gifts" all year round, that have nothing to do with dragons in the first place? Don't like the idea.

I'd love to send thank you notes, I find eggs all the time from scroll names that don't match up with a forum name or from people who aren't on the forum, and I would love to say thank you. However, I'm really not a fan of the year-round holidayish trinket gifting idea.

I'd just like to say I really like the idea of sending little 'thank you' notes. It would be quite useful, especially if you catch an awesome egg from the AP, and the owner of its parents doesn't have a forum account.

Obviously there would need to be a way of turning it off, or blocking messages from certain people.

I'm okay with being able to send notes of thanks, but no more collecting or trinkets. The valentines event was nice this year, but eventually it began to be about collecting, not giving. Thank you notes are just notes, no way to collect them, no reason to ask for them. I guess the way to make it personal if it was signed by the scroll name of the person, but other than that they should look the same.

I've read through the replies here and I think the thank-you note suggestion seems to be taking off and many are in favor of it, including myself. smile.gif

I remember we used to have a thread on the *Messenger Dragon*, complete with a gorgeous sprite on how it would look like. That was really a long long time ago and Search, as usual failed to locate it.

Turning this suggestion into a thank you note variant does create a problem .. as was discussed in the Messenger Dragon thread mentioned. Some people may abuse this system to send unsolicited messages to users, etc. At this point, I really have no clue how to incorporate a gifting system into the game without it being event-like.

/throw hands up in the air xd.png

Well, with a thank you note system, we would need the option to block certain players/turn it off completely.

More than that, if there would be that much abuse to the system, we could always just have pre-written thank you notes, generic ones like "thanks for your egg I grabbed from the AP!" or "I love that egg you gave me!". Maybe with the option to show your scroll name at the end of the note too. Generic notes means no abusive notes. Kinda like Valentines cards. ^^

Though I'd still like to be able to write my own notes, and I'm not sure there would be enough abusive ones to warrant this sort of system being implemented. I was just trying to think of a way to get round that problem if it were going to be a big issue.

Edited by TheGrox