Pixxelation

Change the Holidays

My view is simple:

When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

TJ celebrates Christmas. TJ is the site owner. If TJ wants to share the celebration of the holidays HE celebrates with us, I view that as his prerogative as site owner. If TJ celebrated Hanukkah, I'd be delighted to help him celebrate it on the site by whatever means he chose. Same with any other Holiday he chose to share, be it however far divorced from my own traditions.

Just as I would expect to have to type in Japanese on a Japanese site, or celebrate their traditions. Holiday celebrations are NOT a "right" to the userbase. They are a GIFT from the site owner to the userbase.

Tolerance is a two way street, people. You are demanding that TJ respect all of your very diverse views. How about showing him the same respect, and respecting his views and his decision to celebrate the Holiday of HIS choosing on HIS site, that he puts his money and time into?

When in Rome, do as the Romans do. Let us celebrate with TJ what he celebrates, without the hand wrangling and demands for change.

Cheers!

C4.

PS: if you want a Hanukkah dragon or a Kwanzaa dragon or any other dragon, write your own concept for it and find a really good spriter and submit it. TJ can't release something that's not submitted, and remember: the Holiday sprites tend to be the best of the best.

Well said indeed.

Also, the Christmas dragons are described as the Spirits of Winter, responsible for general cheer and joy during winter holidays. So it's, mostly, "happy winter" dragon, which brings happiness and smiles in the cold time of the year. Any holiday will go perfectly with them.

(For example, I'm from Eastern Europe, where Christmas is celebrated January 7th, not December 25th. So what? It doesn't change the general cheer idea, again.)

I don't really think that Valentine's day and Halloween need to be changed, I don't see any real religious ties on them?

I don't particularly see the religious ties in Christmas either, but I can see how a person who celebrated something other than Christmas would feel a bit left out.

I support changing it to just Holidays.

I just don't understand why someone who celebrates "something other than Christmas" should feel left out O_o More holidays, more cheers, yay for all the celebrations, right?

Eh, I made this topic a long time ago, and really don't care one way or another anymore. None of the DC holidays are explicitly religious, and while I support the secularization of late in regards to winter holiday dragons, I'm not sure there's really a point to changing/reasonable alternative for the other holidays.

Edited by PieMaster

My view is simple:

When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

TJ celebrates Christmas. TJ is the site owner. If TJ wants to share the celebration of the holidays HE celebrates with us, I view that as his prerogative as site owner. If TJ celebrated Hanukkah, I'd be delighted to help him celebrate it on the site by whatever means he chose. Same with any other Holiday he chose to share, be it however far divorced from my own traditions.

Just as I would expect to have to type in Japanese on a Japanese site, or celebrate their traditions. Holiday celebrations are NOT a "right" to the userbase. They are a GIFT from the site owner to the userbase.

Tolerance is a two way street, people. You are demanding that TJ respect all of your very diverse views. How about showing him the same respect, and respecting his views and his decision to celebrate the Holiday of HIS choosing on HIS site, that he puts his money and time into?

When in Rome, do as the Romans do. Let us celebrate with TJ what he celebrates, without the hand wrangling and demands for change.

Cheers!

C4.

PS: if you want a Hanukkah dragon or a Kwanzaa dragon or any other dragon, write your own concept for it and find a really good spriter and submit it. TJ can't release something that's not submitted, and remember: the Holiday sprites tend to be the best of the best.

Uhm... here is what TJ said....

What change are you talking about?

I pretty much always call them Holiday Dragons. It is the Holiday Event. The URLs for old events have always said "holidays."

They may have initially been called Christmas Dragons, but that hasn't been the case for at least four years--look at the thread from 2011.

TJ is not the one going on about Christmas. Some users do. Last time I read, the wikia does too but it is not official.

Edited by NotBambi

Some names that came to my mind:

Heart's Day - A holiday for loving couples and snuggly fellas, a day of peace and spreading friendliness and sweetness

Winter Cheer Holidays / The Festival of Cheer - A winter holiday for spreading cheer by gifting and gathering with friends and families, as well as kinsmen, in festively decorated places (we can easly keep the decorated trees and houses), with an increased mood of helping one another; spreading warmth during a cold season

The Night of Horrors - (equivalent of Halloween)

In e.g. Flight rising they have their own holidays etc, independent on Eath cultures. But because the dates are also not refring to our world, it's more difficult to follow.

I like that the DC holidays come when the Earth holidays are but would be better to hve the holiday names neutralised. E.g. all we need is to eliminate Christ fererence from Christmas (and still leave all the gifting, cheer, family etc. stuff; non-Christians living in rather Christian coutries do celebrate sth similar just without any references to the birthday fo some God they dont' believe in).

But I actually doubt the holidays will be renamed... or actually NAMED.

I think it would be a cool addon to actually name the DC holidays^^

Edited by VixenDra

We already don't have the Christ reference during the "Christmas" event. TJ avoids it completely and has for years, it's only the users who call it xmas and christmas. Getting them to change is probably impossible without some stupidly draconian measure like warnings for using the term "christmas" in reference to the site event or the dragons. [and no, I'm not advocating that, which is why I described it as stupidly draconian]

Edited by Pokemonfan13

The only thing that still links "Christmas" dragons to Christmas is their place in breed sort. I think it's not too hard to ignore that, is it?

I'm fine with how things are now. I'm not Catholic, we don't really celebrate Halloween or Valentine's day (we might carve a pumpkin or give someone dear a gift for fun, but they're imported holidays and not as widely celebrated) - despite this, I'm not bothered that there's a DC event in any of these periods, nor do I feel excluded in any way.

I see Xmas dragons more along the lines of modern Santa Claus, portrayed by the Coca Cola company - fun icons that represent the joy of the winter season, rather than anything related to religion.

Agree with a lot of what's being echoed here. The way things are can only be construed as offensive if you're trying to be offended. There haven't been any religious themes beyond the name 'Christmas', which isn't even officially used.