paradoxangel

Summer Event

I'd be surprised if that was the date, since I joined late august 2007 and I can't believe I managed to get in on it quite that early. o.o

August 6th, 2007, but don't quote me on that. tongue.gif

Then a birthday event sounds like quite a plausible idea... happy.gif

I believe last year the pygmies were released for DC's 5th birthday.

Tying it in isn't out of the question, but I'd like to keep the options open.

Loving the ideas.

I'd be surprised if that was the date, since I joined late august 2007 and I can't believe I managed to get in on it quite that early. o.o

Look at your member number~ You're probably one of the first 500 to be here.

On topic: Just kidding, I think it was the third. August 6th is when the first dragon grew up.

Edit: And then, the News thread says that it was May 21, 2007.

/doesn't know what she's talking about~

Edited by gistofeverything

Look at your member number~ You're probably one of the first 500 to be here.

On topic: Just kidding, I think it was the third. August 6th is when the first dragon grew up.

Edit: And then, the News thread says that it was May 21, 2007.

/doesn't know what she's talking about~

May 21st seems like an excellent day.

(Anyways, Gist, I heartell that the original dragons could grow up in a day if you whacked them hard enough with v/uv/c.)

Personally, I like it the way it is. We have a few "Big Special Events" throughout the year, and the rest of the time is filled with permanent New Releases.

TJ tends to do a new release what, every 2-3 months when it's not holiday-season? Is that not enough? I *still* don't have some of the breeds from the last release (and I'm trying!).

I understand that some people get "bored", but.... join a lineage project, join an AP-clearer project, start your own lineage, describe your dragons, etc etc etc. Do we REALLY need yet ANOTHER big event? We have enough Big Events, they cease to be special (even if this particular event isn't limited-release).

Well, the first members on the forums joined on 3rd August that year (go on the member list and sort by join date tongue.gif). But maybe the site itself had been going since May? Is that the confusion here?

In the first 5,000. [i still remember my scroll number]

I managed to get a working forum account a while after I joined [November, obviously]. I also wasn't super active immediately because the cave had an egg drought so there wasn't anything for me to do.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

>Nudges everyone away from chatting about joining dates.

(If anyone gets a legit date on cave start, feel free to toss it in here.)

You're free to not want another big event, but so far, most people seem to like the idea of another, even if they think the timing might be a bit inconvenient.

So far many people seem to like the idea of a fair of some sort, with several mini events lodged in. I quite like this idea as well.

Offtopic: I'm 15000something Para, you ninja me.

Ontopic:

Personally, I like it the way it is. We have a few "Big Special Events" throughout the year, and the rest of the time is filled with permanent New Releases.

I'd personally like to see Halloween and Valentine's go away, seeing how the time period of this game is implied to be medieval. Halloween as we know it wasn't here until early 20th century, and Valentine's as we know it wasn't here until around that same time.

Neither do I like seeing all of the events clogged together in a third of the year.

Edited by gistofeverything

I'm neutral on the idea myself. I would love more regular releases, I just am not sure I want an event to go with it.

For whatever the summer event end up being, how about we make it a writing-focused event? That would give the spriters a break and widens the net for participation. (I'm a writer and I'd love to help with DC.)

Or, alternatively, a scavenger hunt would be in order. Start with a clue on the first page, leading to another clue ("You find a note that says, 'Your searching skills are not super effective.' What could that mean?" -> must go to magikarp page to find the next clue.) and so on and so forth, until you get to a secret biome page where all the new dragons are dropping! A bit of fun and some dragons at the end.

They do (or at least did) stuff like this on Squiby all the time.

Edited by Dragon Mage

For whatever the summer event end up being, how about we make it a writing-focused event? That would give the spriters a break and widens the net for participation. (I'm a writer and I'd love to help with DC.)

Or, alternatively, a scavenger hunt would be in order. Start with a clue on the first page, leading to another clue ("You find a note that says, 'Your searching skills are not super effective.' What could that mean?" -> must go to magikarp page to find the next clue.) and so on and so forth, until you get to a secret biome page where all the new dragons are dropping! A bit of fun and some dragons at the end.

I think a secret biome page would make a lot of people angry.

I'm not opposed to more writing, but I think there will still have to be a fair bit of art, regardless, simply because DC is art-based.

I'm a little over scavenger hunts myself, but I know lots of people think they are fun.

I'd prefer a writing event, as writing is an art, too (though not many people see it as one)

Though a scavenger hunt... Wasn't the Haunted House event likewise to that?

o_0 I didn't know it would make people angry, I thought it'd be all in good fun for the game. But anyway, that was just an idea for what the hunt would lead up to.

Who doesn't like scavenger hunts? I never get tired of riddles, personally.

Edit: Yes! Someone realizes writing is art too! *does a dance* I was thinking something along the lines of the Christmas event a year ago, that had the 12 stories. something like THAT for writing.

Edited by Dragon Mage

I'd prefer a writing event, as writing is an art, too (though not many people see it as one)

Though a scavenger hunt... Wasn't the Haunted House event likewise to that?

It was, which is why I'd want a break from it, but if lots of people enjoy it, then lots of people enjoy it.

And I agree, I'd love to see some more writing, but I don't think we should stray TOO far away from art, is all.

Besides a scavenger hunt, do you have any summer-related writing ideas? Could we work writing into the fair thing, somehow?

I thought the Valentine's Day cards from the previous year highlighted some cute writing without going too far, too.

Edit: Why I think a secret biome with eggs dropping at the end of a hunt would make people mad:

1. Where did this mysterious biome come from and where will it go after the event? SOMEONE is going to ask this.

2. If you can't figure out the event and get to the biome before a lot of people have snagged eggs? You are going to be incredibly upset. This WILL happen, I assure you.

3. People are going to lock with new eggs before some people even know about the event. This will happen, and result in massive butthurt, assuredly.

Edited by paradoxangel

Ah, I hear ya, para and I think we could solve all those problems.

The biome could be something we made, a room or a closet, not a BIOME per se but a page where eggs drop. People never complained about getting a dragon for a wreathe, I'm sure suspension of disbelief will bear us through this as well.

To mitigate the hoard problem, we could easily limit the catch limit to 2 per person.

Also, if people spend too much time on one page, the site could give them a hint.

Edited by Dragon Mage

The biome could be something we made, a room or a closet, not a BIOME per se but a page where eggs drop.

To mitigate the hoard problem, we could easily limit the catch limit to 2 per person.

Also, if people spend too much time on one page, the site could give them a hint.

That is really reaching into the no limits on dragons thing I didn't want to get into, before, though.

Like, the concept of the idea is fantastic, really, and very nice. I just don't think it's going to work well in this kind of game, in this kind of event. There's way too much opportunity for someone to get upset one way or the other.

True, but it is just a rough idea I threw out there, if anyone gets ideas to refine it, I'd more than welcome it!

About this writing idea... what are you guys thinking of? It could be part of the "faire" or whatever, but what type of writing? And is it just for fun?

The last question is the most important. I DO NOT support any "event" that leans on a bias. If there are any sort of prizes/rewards/etc for this writing event, the MANY people who don't have wonderful writing skills will be left out in the cold.

I don't support any site contest, unless the prize is just a pat on the back There is too much room for personal bias in any contest. Also, if you look on any suggestion thread here, people are scared half to death to let people write unmoderated. I can't see any writing contest working real well.

My personal opinion is: only if it doesn't reduce the number of normal dragons released [ie a regular release isn't replaced by a holiday release]. The release rate is low enough as it is, people remove work done here in the dragon requests section to take it to other adoptables sites where they get released almost immediately. We have had beautiful dragons sit so long their creators have vanished and thus will probably never be released. The last thing we need is to replace yet another normal release with dragons done in secret specifically for the event.

This is exactly what I thought of, so I'ma quoting it. Even if we were releasing dragons already on the list, well there'd be no reason to have an event. It would only mean those dragons can't be bred freely like regular releases can. In that sense, people aren't asking for an event so much as rares.

This is exactly what I thought of, so I'ma quoting it. Even if we were releasing dragons already on the list, well there'd be no reason to have an event. It would only mean those dragons can't be bred freely like regular releases can. In that sense, people aren't asking for an event so much as rares.

I already addressed we're not going to have special limited releases. I'm incredibly against it and would abandon this idea if people wanted to go that way.

Writing involved would not be part of a contest. I can't speak for Dragon Mage, but when I said more writing would be welcome, I meant in constructing the event not as part of a contest.

This event is not going to be based around a contest of any sort.

Fuddy-duddy here...

Please noooooooooooo D|

I would love to see more dragons released more often and I'm okay with badges you get from logging in (no work involved, yaaaay).

Otherwise, I'm not actually fond of events. I like the downtime! We get more regular site stuff and the site is laid-back, like usual. I don't have to worry about making sure I can log in everyday, I don't have to struggle through events that are too time consuming compared to other everyday DC stuff, and I can focus on what I want to do in the cave or around the forum.

Yes, yes, events are optional. That doesn't stop people from being annoyed, frustrated, or sad when they miss a one time badge (especially one that went on for more than one day). It doesn't stop some of people from feeling like they have to participate in the event when it's around.

I'd prefer to keep my downtime, though.

/unpopular opinion

(EDIT: Although, I understand wanting to do a user-based event. I'd actually love to see users post ideas, decide on one, and then bust out the work for it, if TJ would go for it. Tad hypocritical, as I've closed threads similar to that in the past, but hey, we all evolve and user opinion really helps mods evolve in their job.)

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Ooh! OOH! Support!

Sock, to alleviate your "downtime" concern-

This would be one event in a , what, 8-9 month period? Plenty of downtime before and after.

Maybe for the fair, writers could do some "teaser" descriptions for the possible release dragons, or do something like dialogue for the salespeople advertising their new dragon.

Ooh! OOH! Support!

Sock, to alleviate your "downtime" concern-

This would be one event in a , what, 8-9 month period? Plenty of downtime before and after.

Maybe for the fair, writers could do some "teaser" descriptions for the possible release dragons, or do something like dialogue for the salespeople advertising their new dragon.

Do you mean like this?

"You walk up to a platform where a man stands next to a curtain. He takes his cane and draws it back, revealing a dragon you've never seen before." (Cut to picture of new dragon.)

"This breed of dragon I found on a distant journey. I especially liked its coloring."

And then like, a button that says click to see another dragon?

(As a way to incorporate dramatic writing)