paradoxangel

Summer Event

idk, I hate to say it, but a lot of the replies here are just making me wonder if some of you would rather we just not have events at all? Seriously, I had no idea that it was such a hardship to have something other than 'hunt eggs and raise them and breed' to do all year round. :|

Sorry, just frustrated with the amount of negativity I'm seeing... I don't get this whole obsession with 'downtime', because tbh I'd got the impression that a lot of people found it boring to go so long without any events. I mean, all the way from February to October, really? We want to go that long without anything special in the cave?

Because not wanting more events equates to not wanting any events.

I like the events that we have. I also like having that couple month span of random releases (it is not as though the cave just closes shop from February to October, or that we don't get anything 'special,' after all). It's nice to have those months where the cave is just about collecting and breeding dragons, without all the scavenger hunts and things. Yeah, they're nice now and then, but I'm not a huge fan of inventing an event for the sake of adding a new gimmick.

Not necessarily, as was painfully pointed out in my thread.

No one would ever support deleting the events altogether. However, an addition of an event can be beneficial to both the cave traffic and the user base's interest in the site.

No one would ever support deleting the events altogether.

Some people have suggested exactly that actually.

I like the events that we have. I also like having that couple month span of random releases (it is not as though the cave just closes shop from February to October, or that we don't get anything 'special,' after all).

It's not just a couple of months, though. If you count Easter, that's still all the way from April until the end of October. That's six-seven months of no events at all in the cave. That's not a short amount of time? That's more than half the year that goes by.

Idk, I guess I just don't see the harm, or why people would still object once the sticking points of one-time badges and limited releases are taking out. It's literally just something fun to do on DC and you don't lose out if you don't participate.

Idk, I guess I just don't see the harm, or why people would still object once the sticking points of one-time badges and limited releases are taking out. It's literally just something fun to do on DC and you don't lose out if you don't participate.

If what you said was what happened (in other words, if there wasn't any 'get this now or never get it again' stuff), then I would TOTALLY enjoy a summer event. However, since almost all of the other events DO have limited time things, they make me a bit nervous--I'm rather OCD about collecting stuff, so whenever an event comes around where I have to get the things now or never, I usually spend more time worrying that I missed one then enjoying the event, haha! xd.png

But yes--if a summer event didn't have any of those shenanigans it would be much fun. Even if it WAS a collection event, but you had the chance to get any trinkets you missed next year, that'd be fun. :3

I don't want another even with a limited-release dragon sort of thing. I think we have enough, and I like the break to work on lineage projects and such.

That said, I'm all for an event that doesn't necessarily include dragons (or at least, not "holiday" style limited-edition limited-breeding dragons).

How fun would it be to have your dragons bringing in seashells and feathers and pretty rocks and other bits of fun that are then used to decorate a sandcastle? Each item only used once so if you want to use three your dragons have to find three? Available every summer for the month of July, and each summer more objects are added that you can find, thus every year you can have a new one? And nobody but you can see the bits that you've collected (unless they're used in your castle of course) so if you haven't found that shiny blue seashell it doesn't really matter unless you really wanted to use it?

Or whatever. I'm all for a fun event. Just not another holiday with a limited dragon. smile.gif

That said, if there is intention to tie this "Holiday" to a special date, according to the Dragon Cave Wiki the site was founded on May 21, 2006 and the oldest dragon was born May 26, 2006. Dates to consider.

I could get behind the idea of any collection event where the items are available every consecutive year, plus new items each year.

Then you never truly MISS anything.

So my vision of this: A two week event where you could collect items and there would be an HM style raffle at the end of it.

Perhaps not call it summer. I think we do have players in Australia...

I still don't like the idea and value my hiatus, but thought I should mention this !

I'm Australian and I don't mind things being 'summer' related when it's actually smack bang in the middle of winter for me. tongue.gif I'm used to it, it's that way on a lot of websites. And since we already have the seasonal dragons that are the opposite to our seasons, I don't think it'd be a big deal if it was called a summer event.

That being said, the reason I am opposed to calling it a 'summer' event is because the name is just a little bland, I think. Coming up with something more medieval would be great, I think. happy.gif

I see a few people arguing the point that it is unfair because a lot of people are away during the summer, but on that note, many people are significantly less busy during the summer as wel- not having school or any place to go. Me and a lot fo players are excluded due to not being in school anymore and having fairly consistent schedules all year lol, but still. I think it rather evens out.

From a marketing standpoint, lots of people have nothing to do during the summer and turn to the net to entertain them. I know I did back in school. A big dragon cave summer event would help draw in new userbase and remind some that hiatused or forgot that it was there, when they had time to play it.

I absolutely ADORE the idea of voting for a new release of dragons. It sounds like fun and it would give users a sense of connection, that they have just a little power, in a good way. I think it would be a fantastic addition!

That being said, the reason I am opposed to calling it a 'summer' event is because the name is just a little bland, I think. Coming up with something more medieval would be great, I think. happy.gif

The Annual Summer Dragon Festival xd.png

QUOTE (StormWizard212 @ Jan 18 2013, 05:59 AM)

The Annual Summer Dragon Festival xd.png

Someone suggested Midsummers Day.

Festival of the Sun?

Why not related the "event" with the equinox.. something like "Long day festival" for june "long night" for dec.. and both spring and fall have the same amount of hours. so those would be along the lines of Changing of the seasons or something generic. That gives some flexability in providing different names per event while still keeping the basic idea behind said events similar tongue.gif

Not very medieval, but Christmas in July?

Summer Event was just a titleholder until we came up with a tangible idea. That's definitely not going to be the end name.

I already acknowledged summer isn't going on everywhere in the world at the same time, but that the idea was to keep it in alignment with the IN CAVE seasons.

That being said, I like a lot of the names you guys are coming up with.

Great input, everyone.

I already acknowledged summer isn't going on everywhere in the world at the same time, but that the idea was to keep it in alignment with the IN CAVE seasons. 

That being said, I like a lot of the names you guys are coming up with. 

Great input, everyone.

That's a good point, haha. We already have things that follow the northern hemisphere seasonal timeline, so it isn't like having a summer event would be unprecedented. Plus I think the majority of players are in the north--hasn't TJ said in the past that the large majority of players are in the U.S.?

What about just calling it Beat the Heat day? Instead of having an event dragon release we could just have a guaranteed release of a few permanent breeds on that day--preferably heat/sand/seashore related ones, or any others with a 'summery' design. smile.gif

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

If:

A. TJ is willing,

B. The artists are willing,

C. It has no effect on new releases,

it's ok with me.

I fully support the idea of a summer release event. smile.gif I would love to see more minigames, and new dragons are always fun to try and catch. smile.gif

That's a good point, haha. We already have things that follow the northern hemisphere seasonal timeline, so it isn't like having a summer event would be unprecedented. Plus I think the majority of players are in the north--hasn't TJ said in the past that the large majority of players are in the U.S.?

What about just calling it Beat the Heat day? Instead of having an event dragon release we could just have a guaranteed release of a few permanent breeds on that day--preferably heat/sand/seashore related ones, or any others with a 'summery' design. smile.gif

What if instead of a day, it was a week long event? Like with the recipes. That way it wouldn't be a huge deal if you were bus one day or even most of them, you'd have a much higher likeliehood of being able to participate.

Hey, I heard a great holiday suggestion, how about Holi? (it's a hindu festival of color, pretty awesome in fact) or Mardi Gras? Those are all great summer holidays that would look censorkip.gif*in!

Mardi Gras: decorate your own mask!

Wouldn't that be a great holiday game?

If:

A. TJ is willing,

B. The artists are willing,

C. It has no effect on new releases,

it's ok with me.

this -- I'd rather not have a raffle, because i don't really get on anymore, anyway.

Hey, I heard a great holiday suggestion, how about Holi? (it's a hindu festival of color, pretty awesome in fact) or Mardi Gras? Those are all great summer holidays that would look censorkip.gif*in!

Mardi Gras: decorate your own mask!

Wouldn't that be a great holiday game?

Mardi Gras would be replacing Valentine's Day this year, though — I believe it's February 19th this year. (Checks.) Good thing I checked, it's actually February 12.

It's also another (vaguely) Catholic holiday [the Tuesday before Ash Wednesday], and there are plenty of people trying to get the Winter holidays moved away from Christmas as it is.

Eh, I guess you're right. I thought Mardi Gras was more in the summer for some reason.

Underline that VAGUELY about a berjillion times and you're right. I think once it was religious. A long time ago. When Venice wasn't 50 stories in the ocean. But now it's a time for painting faces and boobies and getting drunk, so I think it's safely separated now.

I had no idea it was replacing Valentines this year! Where did you find this info?