paradoxangel

Summer Event

Hmm, it could be description-based? That's user writing which has already been approved by the mods.

I don't know if it's because it's late or not, but I'm not quite sure what you're talking about. Could you give me an example?

"You walk up to a platform where a man stands next to a curtain. He takes his cane and draws it back, revealing a dragon you've never seen before." (Cut to picture of new dragon.)

"This breed of dragon I found on a distant journey. I especially liked its coloring."

And then like, a button that says click to see another dragon?

(As a way to incorporate dramatic writing)

Edits-

"You walk up to a platform where a man stands next to a curtain. He takes his cane and draws it back, revealing a dragon you've never seen before." (Cut to picture of new dragon.)

"This breed of dragon I found on a distant journey. [description by users...] I could show you where I found it, if you like."

Then, you get to vote "Please, show me where!" or, "Thank you, but I'm not interested."

And then like, a button that says click to see another dragon?

(As a way to incorporate dramatic writing)

We get few enough regular releases as it is and this would just limit those even more, so please no.

JOTB, the concept behind this was that it wouldn't limit any of the regular releases. It would just be a release, but annual, and with some extra goodies.

I'm a little iffy on this.

If other releases have to be canceled/shifted/changed (example: 6 dragons are to be released in 3 batches of 2, but it is changed so 6 are released at once for the event), then no.

If it had no effect on other releases, then I'm all for it. The more breeds off the Completed List and into the cave the better. The completed list is overflowing.

As for a writing contest, please no. Many users here are young and don't have the same vocabulary to work with and there are many users who don't speak English as a first language. A raffle, maybe, but I rather not see any contests. I actually like the idea of a second raffle now that I think about it, so long as the tickets were easy to get (like logging in every day for a week = 7 tickets).

Fuddy-duddy here...

Please noooooooooooo D|

I would love to see more dragons released more often and I'm okay with badges you get from logging in (no work involved, yaaaay).

Otherwise, I'm not actually fond of events. I like the downtime! We get more regular site stuff and the site is laid-back, like usual. I don't have to worry about making sure I can log in everyday, I don't have to struggle through events that are too time consuming compared to other everyday DC stuff, and I can focus on what I want to do in the cave or around the forum.

Yes, yes, events are optional. That doesn't stop people from being annoyed, frustrated, or sad when they miss a one time badge (especially one that went on for more than one day). It doesn't stop some of people from feeling like they have to participate in the event when it's around.

I'd prefer to keep my downtime, though.

/unpopular opinion

(EDIT: Although, I understand wanting to do a user-based event. I'd actually love to see users post ideas, decide on one, and then bust out the work for it, if TJ would go for it. Tad hypocritical, as I've closed threads similar to that in the past, but hey, we all evolve and user opinion really helps mods evolve in their job.)

Stands with Socky.

And summer is REALLY tough anyway as SO MANY people are on the road.

Like Socky - I love having a time when I can chill and not think OMG gotta be online or I'll MISS it. Bad enough when there are summer releases, actually. When they are uncommon I have real issues catching any...

I'm a little iffy on this.

If other releases have to be canceled/shifted/changed (example: 6 dragons are to be released in 3 batches of 2, but it is changed so 6 are released at once for the event), then no.

If it had no effect on other releases, then I'm all for it. The more breeds off the Completed List and into the cave the better. The completed list is overflowing.

As for a writing contest, please no. Many users here are young and don't have the same vocabulary to work with and there are many users who don't speak English as a first language. A raffle, maybe, but I rather not see any contests. I actually like the idea of a second raffle now that I think about it, so long as the tickets were easy to get (like logging in every day for a week = 7 tickets).

Already stated multiple times that it should not affect normal releases, and that there will be NO contests, based on anything, including writing.

Every day for a week is hard in summer. It REALLY is, no matter what people say.

During the other raffle, some suggested that you could also get chances by logging in once a month all year - a chance a month. THAT would be fairer, though emails to the winners would have to have a long turnaround because -whatever people say - no, some people ARE without ANY chance of internet for several weeks over the summer. When I was in India was a case in point, and also in Botswana. Not all of us get to stay in hotels with computers available, and campers don't carry their laptops. I (and many others here I bet) CANNOT plan our summers around an Event. Christmas is easy enough - one wants to be on touch with people then and makes sure one can. Valentine's - well, there are times I might miss that. I don't want to be up for missing yet another event...

TL;DR - at least make it possible for those (us xd.png) really keen and dedicated players who may HAVE to be out of touch with the interwebz to have a chance at a raffle. Cuz HM prizes are rather nice too !

Edited by fuzzbucket

Stands with Socky.

And summer is REALLY tough anyway as SO MANY people are on the road.

Like Socky - I love having a time when I can chill and not think OMG gotta be online or I'll MISS it. Bad enough when there are summer releases, actually. When they are uncommon I have real issues catching any...

I agree with this sentiment too. Halloween + Christmas + Valentines Day end up being quite manic for me (particularly Christmas!) because I'm worrying about trying to get time-restricted dragons at the same time as busy times IRL. I like having time when I don't have to worry about being online at particular times for events and can just work on my lineages and scroll goal!

That being said, it would be nice to have a "DC holiday" that only celebrates a fictional DC holiday. As in, a completely random day that corresponds with no existing holiday. It's a "holiday" that exists only on DragonCave. No one gets a feeling of exclusion/inclusion. No one will be away with family or friends during what is considered, for some, a special time of the year for family. On the whole, you lose the entire feeling of what makes something a holiday, but keep the celebration for fun's sake.

This was the real selling point for me. As much as I love the Christmas, Halloween and Valentine's events, I only actually celebrate one of these myself. It's not like I have a religious aversion to them or anything, I just don't celebrate Halloween and Valentine's day because of where I live. So it's not really a big deal for me. But for people who don't celebrate one or more of these holidays due to their conflicting religious views (Christmas being the prime example, obviously) I can understand how an event on DC might make them feel a little bit left out.

So for that reason, I'd absolutely love an event on DC that is DC based and can thus include absolutely everyone without any kinds of real life beliefs, cultures, nationalities, or anything else getting in the way of us all coming together and enjoying an event simultaneously. happy.gif So I really hope TJ sees this and agrees to do something this year over the summer months (even though they'll be winter for me).

But all of this being said, I do get what some people are saying about liking the kind of cool down period between Valentine's and Halloween. So for that reason, I'd be against this event being a holiday release or anything like that. Maybe instead, it could be something more like the Easter event, which if you're not around for, you don't actually miss out on anything. And like the Easter event last year, maybe it could be cumulative. Meaning that if you miss the badge and collecting one year, you can get the same badge the following year. Would something like that make more people happy?

And sorry if this has already been said. I don't have a lot of time today to read through threads, so I just skimmed over. xd.png

Yes - like the beat the heat badge. That was harmless.

I didn't have the courage to read everything, but here is my opinion:

- a lot of people go on holiday and travel during the summer. It is not an ideal time to have an event. A lot of DC players are still attending school or university and summer is their break, so they will probably be less available. This is definitely my case.

- These event-free months make normal new dragon releases possible. Have you noticed that new breeds aren't introduced between halloween and valentine's day? That's because we have these special release dragons and events. We also need some calm time where the game can be played normally, lineages worked on and new dragons brought to the cave.

Have you noticed that new breeds aren't introduced between halloween and valentine's day? That's because we have these special release dragons and events.

Black Friday - Tri-Horn Wyverns. To name but one.

I agree with you - but still, they ARE !

Edited by fuzzbucket

I would support an even for the summer. If people are on vacation and miss it - life sucks sometimes, you can't grab everything everyone else has in real life, why do you expect to get everything in DC?

I would love to have more new dragon releases too - that IS what this game is all about. Don't make the summer new dragons a one time only thing or rares like the Trio was when they were released, but SOMEthing to pass the Summer would be nice.

Things I'm getting from the thread

>Nothing that will take longer than a day, maybe two to complete

>As few limited things as possible (so people who miss it aren't missing a BUNCH of things)

>A rollover badge that appears the same yearly, so if you ever miss the event, you have a chance to make it up

Because no one is bothering to read the thread or responses

There is no contest involved here, regarding art, writing or spriting.

There are no limited release dragons involved here.

This will not intended to cut down on normal released dragons but either increase them or leave the number exactly the same. AND ALSO, MAYBE, GIVE YOU A CHANCE TO VOTE WHAT GETS RELEASED, which I would imagine most people would be excited about.

It has been acknowledged MULTIPLE times already that some people will miss this based on the timing of the year, and that this is JUST AS FAIR as having events at any other time of the year, because other people will miss THOSE events. If you are going to bring up this topic, PLEASE BE RESPECTFUL AND BRIEF ABOUT IT, IT HAS BEEN MENTIONED AND ACKNOWLEDGED ALREADY.

Your input is valued and your viewpoints valid, but please let's not beat a dead horse about the subject, already. It's only slightly related to the topic at whole, considering there are 8 ENTIRE MONTHS worth of days this event could take place, and a date has not come even close to being picked.

To the topic of "many users are not there in the summer time"

the IRC Chat rarely drops in usernumbers during the summer holidays.

Just one point.

Then, a summer (or in-between-holidays) event would be certainly interesting.

A little game around the release of a dragon, maybe?

(and don´t start with "But we won´t be able to get them because XY reasons", not every user is here for regular releases)

Sandcastle building?

Shell-collecting?

Beach/Summer/Vacation item collecting?

idk, I hate to say it, but a lot of the replies here are just making me wonder if some of you would rather we just not have events at all? Seriously, I had no idea that it was such a hardship to have something other than 'hunt eggs and raise them and breed' to do all year round. :|

Sorry, just frustrated with the amount of negativity I'm seeing... I don't get this whole obsession with 'downtime', because tbh I'd got the impression that a lot of people found it boring to go so long without any events. I mean, all the way from February to October, really? We want to go that long without anything special in the cave?

I really like this idea. If we have a rollover badge then no-one is missing out, and since we've already established that there's not going to be a special 'limited' release for this, what's the harm? I think it'd be fun for people to have something to do, especially when you consider that a lot of the younger users are going to be off school and may have more time for the site than usual. Not everyone goes on vacation where they're internet-less for awhile. I'm actually shocked that so many people are saying that they want SEVEN whole months with nothing special. That seems so incredibly long to me.

I want to get rid of holiday events altogether, save Christmas.

During real life holidays that people may or may not celebrate, there is always drama. Drama that can be avoided with its elimination.

Having seasonal events like this, in my opinion, is better for the sanity of our userbase.

Writing involved would not be part of a contest. I can't speak for Dragon Mage, but when I said more writing would be welcome, I meant in constructing the event not as part of a contest.

No no no, you must not have seen my other post. I didn't mean any writing contest, merely writing submissions, such as the 2011 Christmas event, the one with the 12 stories of Christmas? Like that! No contest, merely participation of anyone who wants to submit a story. Depending on how many stories are submitted, there may have to be a vote on the forums as to which ones would be included, but no contest. That's all I meant by having a writing element included, to not put a load on spriters.

Writing involved would not be part of a contest. I can't speak for Dragon Mage, but when I said more writing would be welcome, I meant in constructing the event not as part of a contest.

No no no, you must not have seen my other post. I didn't mean any writing contest, merely writing submissions, such as the 2011 Christmas event, the one with the 12 stories of Christmas? Like that! No contest, merely participation of anyone who wants to submit a story. Depending on how many stories are submitted, there may have to be a vote on the forums as to which ones would be included, but no contest. That's all I meant by having a writing element included, to not put a load on spriters.

This is what I was pretty sure you meant, but others apparently misread your intentions.

Something like that I think would be good.

I'm not completely against this idea, but I do have my issues with it.

The main one being, what is DragonCave? To some, it's a "collect every breed" game. To others, it's a breeding/lineage game. To others, it's a game where they make a whole world on their scroll through dragon descriptions.

Personally, I don't feel DragonCave *should* be all about "Big Events". We already have Christmas, Halloween, Valentine's Day, and Easter events.

The events are okay, but *I* like the regular, every-day game of catching, hatching, growing a dragon, naming, breeding, etc. Those basic things that DragonCave used to be known for. Now it's all about more "Big Events"? I don't like that.

I think this would be wonderful.

People who want to work on lineages still can. There is nothing stopping you. This will not affect it. (hopefully)

And, geez, people, there are SEVEN ENTIRE MONTHS for this to happen.

I say a poll-

Q- Do you support a DC- specific holiday over the summer downtime? (read the 1st post first)

1. Yes, completely!

2. Yes, with reservations. (Please post)

3. I'm not sure.

4. No, but there are aspects I like. (Please post)

5. No. I am completely against this. (Please post)