_Z_

Notice.

Is it OK if in my signature or profile I say I want an IOU of, lets just say a Silver egg, for my Gold egg? It wouldn't be in an actual forum post.

This is stupid.

Can't exactly agree with you on that one. I see where the mods are coming from with this, and I see what they're trying to prevent, but it is a little annoying for those of us who actually fulfill IOUs.

Is it OK if in my signature or profile I say I want an IOU of, lets just say a Silver egg, for my Gold egg? It wouldn't be in an actual forum post.

Yes. Mods talked about that when someone brought it up earlier and a comment about IOUs in signature/profile is fine.

Yes. Mods talked about that when someone brought it up earlier and a comment about IOUs in signature/profile is fine.

I think you should put this in the first post smile.gif

Can't exactly agree with you on that one. I see where the mods are coming from with this, and I see what they're trying to prevent, but it is a little annoying for those of us who actually fulfill IOUs.

IOUs are a risk we know we're taking. Telling us that in order to take that risk we now have to dance around actually saying the word "IOU" is stupid. Like I said--if this rule is enforced, I will just start putting "PM me" in the 'want' section of all my trades. So more work for me and everyone else, rather than a stop in IOUs. :/

This reminds me:

What if we offer our normal trades, but next to that add something like, "Also: please check my signature." as in, telling users to look at you sig to see what else you have to offer (whether it be something you have IOU, or a IOU your looking for).

Technically, that's not an actual post, but I dunno.

What if, for a trade, you're requesting x amount of hatchlings for a certain egg or whatever. (Maybe for a rare holiday or something)

Can you not do that if the amount is over the limit of hatchies people can have at a time?

This reminds me:

What if we offer our normal trades, but next to that add something like, "Also: please check my signature." as in, telling users to look at you sig to see what else you have to offer (whether it be something you have IOU, or a IOU your looking for).

Technically, that's not an actual post, but I dunno.

THIS is what I mean. If people are going to be posting IOU stuff in their stupid signatures, then why does it have to be removed from trades?? Whyyy? People are GOING TO DO IT ANYWAY so whyyy does it have to be made annoyingly harder to do so? Trading threads aren't even all that 'official' anyway, I don't consider anything not on the actual site to be 'official' e____e

Like "ohoho yes you can have IOUs two spaces down from the actual post but putting it in the actual post itself is a no-no!" How does that make any sense at all? :/

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

I don't think I ever asked for an IOU in a trade thread.

I may be wrong, and made one but think they were all done via PM.

I find an IOU is a Private matter and should not be on the boards as it does

make more work for the mods and like they said, are expected to handle the situation when someone is cheated, when they can not do anything about it.

This will not do anything to my trades as I will simply continue on doing what i do wub.gif

THIS is what I mean. If people are going to be posting IOU stuff in their stupid signatures, then why does it have to be removed from trades?? Whyyy? People are GOING TO DO IT ANYWAY so whyyy does it have to be made annoyingly harder to do so? Trading threads aren't even all that 'official' anyway, I don't consider anything not on the actual site to be 'official' e____e

I agree with that. This simply complicates things :/

Edit: And I know you were referring to my post xd.png People are gonna do it anyways.

Edited by xxBurningxx

Like "ohoho yes you can have IOUs two spaces down from the actual post but putting it in the actual post itself is a no-no!" How does that make any sense at all? :/

I agree, its going to be exactly the same, just harder to achieve.

this...sorry mods have to agree dry.gif

This is stupid. IOUs are a risk. But we should freely be able to take that risk.

(chat mod view.. forum mods may disagree if they like tongue.gif)

I have taken and given many IOUs successfully. If someone fails to deliver, then it's my loss for taking them. But please, please, PLEASE don't force us to have to find backdoor ways to make IOU trades. :/

Imagine all the people who find CB Golds and want to trade for Holly IOUs. Poof, can't, unless they discover a magic way to meet off forums. Imagine all the people who catch rares and want to trade them for high amounts of common hatchlings. Nope, can't do that either. Etc etc etc.

Everyone on the forums has a brain. They can use that brain to decide whether or not they want to take the risk of an IOU. Please don't play supreme commander on us and make it harder for us to do what most of us are going to do anyway. For my part, whenever I'm trying to get an IOU I just post "PM me" either here or on the forums. People are GOING TO DO THEM ANYWAY. You don't need to make it annoyingly and unneccesarily complicated to do so. -____-

Its really not that hard to say Have cb gold Want (whatever specific cb hatchys.. or lineages you might want) Pm for more details or with other offers.

If you are looking for holidays, then have your trade fodder in hand, and only post during that breeding window that you are looking for them. Use your sig to advertise what you are looking for.. or your profile if you have very specific needs.

And the reason for banning them is simple: By allowing them to be asked for or offered.. it shows that mods are supporting the non official method of trade. There was a message added to one way teleports to emphasize that its a one way trade and the other person isnt obligated to give you anything in return. This is the final way to make sure that users understand that IOU trading is at your own risk. I can say that i the past.. month, i have had three users come to me asking me to help them get failed ious out of people. Yes, i feel badly for them.. but i cant help.

And trust me: i hate not being allowed to ask for ious publically. It completely shattered my style of play for a few months. I have disliked it since we put it into effect in the chat BUT it has helped a lot with limiting holiday drama. Need hollies? hang out in #dragonlotto.. if im not in a horrible mood, i gladly hunt and drop them for people there. need trades for specific lineages? yes, you can ask if people can breed them, then drag them to pm to work out the details of your trade. we are not saying you cant do IOU trade.. you just cant ask or offer them in the OFFICIAL places. What you do in provate, non official channels is up to you guys, we are only modding the official places.

Edited by Thuban

If you are looking for holidays, then have your trade fodder in hand, and only post during that breeding window that you are looking for them. Use your sig to advertise what you are looking for.. or your profile if you have very specific needs.

And the reason for banning them is simple: By allowing them to be asked for or offered.. it shows that mods are supporting the non official method of trade. There was a message added to one way teleports to emphasize that its a one way trade and the other person isnt obligated to give you anything in return. This is the final way to make sure that users understand that IOU trading is at your own risk. I can say that i the past.. month, i have had three users come to me asking me to help them get failed ious out of people. Yes, i feel badly for them.. but i cant help.

And trust me: i hate not being allowed to ask for ious publically. It completely shattered my style of play for a few months. I have disliked it since we put it into effect in the chat BUT it has helped a lot with limiting holiday drama. Need hollies? hang out in #dragonlotto.. if im not in a horrible mood, i gladly hunt and drop them for people there. need trades for specific lineages? yes, you can ask if people can breed them, then drag them to pm to work out the details of your trade. we are not saying you cant do IOU trade.. you just cant ask or offer them in the OFFICIAL places. What you do in provate, non official channels is up to you guys, we are only modding the official places.

Yes, because I'm sure I'll stumble on to something worth a nice Holly--you know, a CB Metal or such--right in time for Hollies to breed!

Except whoops, I won't. I find like 1-2 CB Metals or less in a year. The chances of me finding them within a specific one-week window are zilch.

If you don't want it to look like the mods are "supporting" it just mention IOUs aren't official or whatever. Or just ignore people asking you for IOU help. As I said, it's a RISK. Anyone who thinks about it for two seconds before blindly trusting the other person should already know what they're getting into, sorry.

Don't punish the 95% because the 5% don't know what they're doing. The one-way transfer message is already warning enough, in my opinion. If it's not, add something more to it, don't toss some half-hearted IOU obstacles at us.

Yes, because I'm sure I'll stumble on to something worth a nice Holly--you know, a CB Metal or such--right in time for Hollies to breed!

Except whoops, I won't. I find like 1-2 CB Metals or less in a year. The chances of me finding them within a specific one-week window are zilch.

If you don't want it to look like the mods are "supporting" it just mention IOUs aren't official or whatever. Or just ignore people asking you for IOU help. As I said, it's a RISK. Anyone who thinks about it for two seconds before blindly trusting the other person should already know what they're getting into, sorry.

this...I thats what we did when I modded Runescape. IF we couldn't help you apologized and moved on. The user base realised this and in the end it was only new-be's who were seeking us out, and we gave them tradeing is at your own risk and went on our way reporting what needed to be reported.

Okay, an idea: (and I know this will most likely never work, and would require change) but what if a system were set up so that people could review other people based on the success/failure of IOUs made with them?

If you've been on eBay, you will see next to sellers something like, "97 percent positive feedback".

What if users had the option to make an IOU with someone, and simply made a feedback or something. I'm not really sure how this would work, like, how the system would know if you actually made an IOU with them, but still.

Again, I'm aware this idea will most likely not work.

Don't punish the 95% because the 5% don't know what they're doing.

We have been telling people for MONTHS in the chat is unofficial.. as well as here on the forum. It has been made clear over and over, in multiple ways that its users own risk.. yet some people still dont understand that.

This isnt a god complex, this isnt an attack against the users. Its making it very very clear that ious are your own risk, and are your own business. Honestly, i think its awesome that you guys are allowed to advertise ious in your sigs. Sigs get so much more exposure than a single post in an overly busy thread where people arent likely to go back more than a page or two to see whats being traded smile.gif

xxBurningxx: not a bad idea, however that would mean we would have to support iou trading as a "thing". How do you propose keeping large groups of people from voting someone down becaue they didnt pay up on their end of a trade with their friend? I've seen this happen in the past.. where a group of friends pretty much harrassed a user to the point where nobody would trade with them, all because said user wasnt able to breed a certain egg within a certain time frame.

Edited by Thuban

It shouldn't really make it that much harder to trade. If you have CB Gold and you are looking for a Holly, simply put in your profile/sig/wishlist that you are looking for a Holly and under 'Want' just point them to it and ask for a PM.

I usually do IOU's through PM anyway. I rarely ask for them but I have been offered them many times and I will accept them given the right conditions.

Okay, an idea: (and I know this will most likely never work, and would require change) but what if a system were set up so that people could review other people based on the success/failure of IOUs made with them?

If you've been on eBay, you will see next to sellers something like, "97 percent positive feedback".

What if users had the option to make an IOU with someone, and simply made a feedback or something. I'm not really sure how this would work, like, how the system would know if you actually made an IOU with them, but still.

Again, I'm aware this idea will most likely not work.

We used to have something like this. It was called a "black list." But then mods got rid of that, too! biggrin.gif

@tikigurl: That's the point. In the end IOUs are still going to happen... but this is just pointlessly making it that little bit harder. If I can say "hey lol look at the IOU in my sig that's what I want," why can't I just say in the POST that that's what I want? It's so dumb. :/

Plus, let's think about this. People still come to the mods for help with lost IOUs even when 1) the one way transfer warns them that the other person isn't required to give them anything back and 2) the IRC does the same thing. If the whole point of this is so mods won't get pestered, then it's not going to work--people will just pester them about IOUs made off-site or through signatures instead. -______-

Sooo making things all that much more annoying for people who carefully do IOUs while the people who are confused about IOUs will still be confused. Sounds logical to me! Except wait.

We used to have something like this. It was called a "black list." But then mods got rid of that, too! biggrin.gif

Oh, wow. If that's the case, then I suppose there's really nothing we can do.... :L

as you said, DC already did what it has to, ie warns ppl about 1-way transfer. whoever that went to you and complain should have been directed to that warning and your job should've been done and you shouldn't feel bad for them since, in my opinion, they didn't read the warning themselves and when something went wrong, they've no one to blame but themselves.

all this fuss is like you bought a basket of apples and 3 were bad and rotten. from that you decided apples are bad and therefore apples are bannded in public. apple eating is still allowed behind the door because we just don't want to see your ugly face when you are choked from eating a poisoned apple.

I get that the mods are trying to help the issue of theft, but I don't see how this will help much.

As angelicdragonpuppy has said about 7 times, people will just point to their signature. If someone is out to scam, I doubt that having to type a couple extra words will deter them. Besides, most people just put "IOU for _____" and people PM them about it. Now it's just

"Want:

Look at sig for info"?

Again, I really appreciate what you're trying to do, mods, but I don't think there's a way to stop it. Scamming is a part of human nature, sadly, but most people do NOT participate in the bad side of scamming. Everyone on DC shouldn't be subjected to new rules for something they didn't do.

Will the holiday IOU be banned as well?

Then how can we make sure we can get something we need before holiday?

Edited by Mercury

I get that the mods are trying to help the issue of theft, but I don't see how this will help much.

As angelicdragonpuppy has said about 7 times, people will just point to their signature. If someone is out to scam, I doubt that having to type a couple extra words will deter them. Besides, most people just put "IOU for _____" and people PM them about it. Now it's just

"Want:

Look at sig for info"?

Again, I really appreciate what you're trying to do, mods, but I don't think there's a way to stop it. Scamming is a part of human nature, sadly, but most people do NOT participate in the bad side of scamming. Everyone on DC shouldn't be subjected to new rules for something they didn't do.

This may not be mod initiated.

as you said, DC already did what it has to, ie warns ppl about 1-way transfer. whoever that went to you and complain should have been directed to that warning and your job should've been done and you shouldn't feel bad for them since, in my opinion, they didn't read the warning themselves and when something went wrong, they've no one to blame but themselves.

all this fuss is like you bought a basket of apples and 3 were bad and rotten. from that you decided apples are bad and therefore apples are bannded in public. apple eating is still allowed behind the door because we just don't want to see your ugly face when you are choked from eating a poisoned apple.

I second this, so so much. Except even if 'apple-eating (read: IOUs)' is publically banned--the mods will still get pestered about it. People might get scammed from IOUs in signatures or IOUs made from people PMing them and then they'll still go running to the mods. So still all the trouble while everyone else has to needlessly skulk around with their IOUs.

@Gist: Everything I've seen in here from mods has been them talking about them and other mods making the choice. And even if it was a decision from TJ instead of the mods, I'd still point out the same things to him that I'm pointing out to them. Whoever made this call, it was a bad one.