kewithegreat

Neglected Dragons

I've been thinking about neglected dragons latley. I thought what do people think about neglected dragons and if they think its ok to hurt dragons just to get something rare. I mean a lot of dragons get hurt and die when people try for a neglected. Do you think its right to hurt dragons for a neglected?

I blame TJ tongue.gif

He won't even let us choose them as a Runner-up prize, so we are forced to deprive these poor dragons of nutrition/clicks.

You worry about Neglected? Take a look at Zombies.

And I expect the majority of replies on this thread will say something like "they are just pixels". I am kind of unbiased on this.

Edited by Ashywolf

They do not "get hurt", they are just pixels... although I DO become attached to mine, so I understand your concern smile.gif

If you think it is not right, then it also wouldn't be right to get zombies or vampires, or earthquake the eggs to force the hatching.

Some people like to complete their scroll with every dragon available (and variations). I am one of them, although I didn't get a neglected yet (I didn't try much , either)

So, if the dragon exists... why not?

Yep, just pixels. I don't like seeing dead eggs on my scroll, though. I'm afraid it makes me look like a bad owner.

My first and hopefully last dead egg on my scroll was an unfortunate Neotropical bite victim.

Sure it's just pixels, but somehow, it seems wrong, just like freezing does. I know for a fact that I'll most likely never own a Neglected dragon, and it's probably better that way.

They do not "get hurt", they are just pixels... although I DO become attached to mine, so I understand your concern smile.gif

If you think it is not right, then it also wouldn't be right to get zombies or vampires, or earthquake the eggs to force the hatching.

Some people like to complete their scroll with every dragon available (and variations). I am one of them, although I didn't get a neglected yet (I didn't try much , either)

So, if the dragon exists... why not?

Exactly this. smile.gif

I can't help but think that's kind of a silly way to feel about it. It's just a game. They are not real dragons. I would never treat a real animal that way, but these are just pixels within a computer game.

Vampires, Zombies, Neglecteds; they all exist within this game, and they all require a bit of virtual 'unpleasant behavior' to get. I see you have several vampires on your scroll. Why do you feel it's ok to mistreat eggs and risk killing them to gain a Vampire, but not to gain a Neglected?

ETA: And if you feel that way about them, why do you have my Neglected smack-icon in your signature?

Edited by nonnymouse

"If these were real living creatures, would you still make NDs?"

Yes. Yes I would. I eat eggs for crying out loud. Once they hatch, however, it's a different story. rolleyes.gif

Edit now that I'm on a computer and not my phone:

*ahem* I don't mind neglecting eggs. Actually, learning to neglect eggs was much like learning to eat eggs from home-raised chickens for me. Morally, I mean. It was hard at first. I went through several steps to convince myself that an eggshell was not a horrible thing. You can't name eggs, eggs do not give you sad puppy eyes (at least in text tongue.gif) when you smash them, and you do not tie them to a tree and walk away to abandon them. Yes, I know it's all a game, and these are just pixels. But it makes it so much more involving to put your real life ethics in to play and "treat" your pixel dragons how I truly feel about real life creatures.

Once they're hatchies, that's different. It makes me sad. Plus, I'd rather just let it grow at that point. I'm not big on freezing, and NDing an egg is easier. rolleyes.gif No problem with those that do ND hatchies, howver.

And agreeing with some points below, NDs do indeed take more time and care to raise than do normal eggs/hatchies. So even though they were "neglected", they're very much loved. smile.gif

Edited by AlternateMew

Actually, you'd think neglecteds are made by neglecting...but alot.png of time and effort and careful planning goes into making one xd.png

I like NDs since they are fun to make and are good for collection and scroll completion purposes, and since this is just a game, why not have something that is challenging and rewarding? It is fun after all ^^

Of course i would never do anything like it in real life though, ever.

-Ra

Well, dragon rearing-wise it's probably not the nicest thing to do. On the other hand, we routinely breed two dragons together and then, if their egg isn't just right, we toss it out to die near a cave where we know none of the dragons will care for it. And then there's vampires, where we're basically throwing a defenseless egg to the undead to snack on.

Cruelty abounds.

Although, for the record, "Neglected" is a kind of misleading name. It takes way more work to successfully neglect a dragon than it does to raise a healthy one. Not saying that makes it kinder, just that it could probably use a different accusatory name. lol

In a collecting game, where the goal is to collect sprites, if you actually want to collect *all* the sprites, than no matter how you would refuse to treat a real, living creature, you will Neglect or trade with someone willing to put in the time, effort and nitty gritty attention it takes to properly Neglect.

I suspect that part of the fun of the game for TJ is writing these little things about 'the light draining from their eyes' to tweak people just a wee bit. It gives lots of people an 'aww... ugh...' moment, and then most of us laugh and move on. Neglecting is a little different because it involves not doing something, as opposed to actively being "aggressive" (ie killing/biting) but then it's called "neglecting" and provokes responses from people for that.

Piles of dead shells are a bummer, but after a baking spree my counter looks the same way, just much less colorful. cool.gif

They do take work and careful planning. The majority of deaths I have experienced have been the result of site lag, and is so heart-breaking. Almost all hatched normal while I've been learning the limits for their creation, and live normal lives. The NDs who remain on my scroll all have stories about their struggles and are very much loved.

Neglecting pixels... serious business

This. And I agree with everything nonnymouse said.

It also comes down to play style and what people want to do with their own dragons. I

mean, if you don't want to try to make them, that's fine. You do things the way you want

to and I'll do things the way I want to. I mean, I can understand a little if you notice that

an egg you bred ends up dying because the person tried to turn it. But after it left your

scroll, you had no control over what happened to it anymore. So really, it's all a matter of

differing opinions about play styles.

Edited for the random floating comma that was annoying me.

Edited by omgitskairi

So what if we neglect our dragons we like it? TJ created them for a soul purpose to troll us. So obviously he's trolling you since you don't like neglecting them.

Also we don't have any animal police for DC so why complain? wait why would we have animal police when THEY ARE JUST PIXELS THAT COME ALIVE BECAUSE WE ARTISTS SAID SO!

Your topic is irrelevant to the matter.

Topic Reminder:

Turn the caps off, it is considered yelling.

Rudeness is never necessary.

Attack the topic not the member.

Edited by _Z_

why would any of you psychopaths every hurt an innocent dragon

lol jk they are pixels who cares

Its kinda like "inbreeding". It's just pixels. I remember a thread here somewhere, where people got all up in each others faces, practically yelling, just because some thought it was perfectly ok to re-breed same pixels to each other. lol....Silly people.

I like the earlier comment '...I eat eggs for pete's sake!!" hehe. Reminds me of people who say eggs are babies and shouldn't eat them.

But most eggs on the market are unfertilized. Hens are going to lay eggs regardless if they have mated or not. Eating those eggs, is like sucking on your finger when you prick it. Just nutritious organic matter, not a living thing.

But I digress. Back to the ND thing. Like everyone said, it's just pixels, it doesn't hurt them, its' just a game, and assigning any kind of morality issue to it is quite silly, IMO.

Peace. biggrin.gif

I have no problems neglecting eggs to try for more Neglected dragons. If you want something bad enough, you will do whatever it takes - either by trading or actively experimenting - to add one to your scroll.

why would any of you psychopaths every hurt an innocent dragon

lol jk they are pixels who cares

Both of your views are a little extreme. Yes, they are pixels, but we care about them. Not in the way of "OMG its a dying animal, help, call the vet!" but still...

I will freeze/kill if I must -- I don't have any problems with it.

I generally keep my in game life and my RL separated. What affects me in RL won't affect me in a game because I know it isn't real, otherwise there would be many, many games I wouldn't be able to play.