Fortune86

Close Please ~ Died

((I'm presuming Del relays the message back to Dwain.))

Dwain got the message back from Delucin that Faye didn't want anything. He shrugged and thanked the avatar of light. He had hoped Faye would call him instead of relaying the message through Del so that Dwain could get her number having forgotten to ask for it. "Thank's for asking for me Delucin, sorry to use you like a letter boy like that, I'll try to get everyone's number so that we aren't using you like a mail man." He thought to Del who would likely dedect that Dwain didn't think it was really fair to use the avatar of light as a messenger. Dwain himself got a tea and sandwhich from the cafe before heading back to the library when he arrived Faye had sorted out all manner of books. "You've been a busy girl haven't you." He said good humouredly to her.

'I appricate your concern, but what am I supposed to do if you communicate without me? Go back to the important buisness of staring at the walls?

There was laughter threaded through Delucin's mindvoice and affection.

'Of course if I can't find out what is happening because you stop relying on me for mesages I can always peek into your heads uninvited.'

Now he sounded like a child bend on mischief. As much mischief as it was possible to imagine for a boy that looked as innocent as Delucin.

Vayne completely ignored the other man. He had no interest in him and was busy making his mind up about the new man behind the counter, who was now staring back at him. Eventually he came to a decision as a young couple walked between him and the window and threw an illusion over himself, making him invisible. From the point of view of the man at the counter, he would have vanished.

He waited until a group of teenagers entered through the main doors and followed after them, unseen. While they made they way over to the counter to order Vayne slipped through a door to the side as a woman with a mop entered it. The door had said 'staff only' but Vayne didn't care.

There were more people in uniform back here, a man sitting at a desk shouting into a phone and two younger men talking about date plans. Vayne ignored them and continued down the corridor, eventually finding himself in the kitchen.

It was hotter in here and harder to avoid people rushing about. Vayne watched one girl not much older than his current form flip lumps of meat over on a hot plate. It didn't look very attractive.

Continuing through the kitchens Vayne ended up on the other side of the counter, next to his potential new warrior. When the group of teenagers had moved away and left them on their own, Vayne dropped the illusion and revealed himself.

"Hello."

ON:

"I know where to find an orb," Faye replied softly as she looked up at Dwain. With that she rose and strode over to the table, snatching up the book that had sparked all this interest and slipping it into the backpack she had brought her own notes in. "Help me put these books back, and then we'll go have a look. Just the two of us though; with all of the commotion at the power plant last night I don't want all of us travelling around and being seen together too often. People will start to take notice. And if Vayne or his cohort are watching us they'll know to follow - in force - if we all seem to be migrating to one location."

OFF

- Post by Faye

Edited by Kestra15

Max had finished her food a while back and was now attempting to sleep for a bit. She only ended up tossing and turning, struggling to find a nice position to fall asleep. Giving up Max sat in her bed frustrated looking out the window. She wasn’t in the mood to cause trouble either; she just sat there feeling sorry for her boredness.

Screaming out in frustration Max got out of bed and quickly changed into different clothes. She might as well go do a bit of exploring before tonight’s events; there was nothing for her to do here anyway. Grabbing her phone and some money Max walked out of the house heading towards some random direction.

Eric stood up proper when the kid in the window vanished behind some customers. He contained his surprise well enough that no one else noticed. "Welcome to burger corner what can a get for you today." "Ummm...a number two and a five please. For here." "Two and five for here, coming right up. That will be nineteen thirty seven." he said to the couple, the man payed and they collected their meals. Next were the teenagers who seemed too interested in their own conversation to notice they were up. "Welcome to Burger Corner what can I get for you?" He said trying not to sound too frustrated. They each placed their orders and Eric wrung each of the teenagers up one at a time. Naturally about three of the teenagers changed their orders last minute so Eric had to call back the alterations to Betty who was on the grill.

Eric sighed once the group took their food and was gone until a voice sounded out next to him causing the man to start and immediately reach for his back pocket. "Jesus, scared the crap out of me." He said relaxing when he saw it was just the kid from outside. "How did you-forget it, look kid you can't be back here." He said sternly to Vayne. It was still the middle of the day and he was at work so Eric decided to play it by the book this time.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dwain chuckled a little at Delucin's statement. It's hardly uninvited considering that we volunteered to be warriors of light. Still if your ok with it then I will keep relying on you. You should actually ride our minds more often I would think, it would be tantamount to being outside not to mention educational. Dwain thought, glad that the avatar didn't mind them using him as a messenger boy.

Dwain smiled a little when Faye made her report. It was definitely good news to hear. "That's fantastic, but don't forget to check that book out before you take it. It does still belong to the library." He added noting that Faye had stuck the book directly into her bag. Dwain shook his head as Faye started putting books away. He went over to the help desk and called for a library tech within the minute a student about Faye's age was wheeling a cart towards them. "We have people for that you know." He helped the boy load the collection of books onto the cart leaving only the archive materials which had to be put back properly, that he did help Faye with though. Once everything was stashed away properly Dwain placed his hands on his hips. "Alright Faye, lead the the way." Delucin, we're going to follow a lead, don't send the others though, Faye want's to keep it low profile so that we don't accidentally tip off the darkness warriors.

ON:

While Dwain had gone to fetch an assistant Faye continued to put at least some of the books back; while it may have appeared paranoid, she wasn't too keen about people knowing what they were up to just in case someone here did know what they were after. She had at least managed to put away the more recent books and articles that pointed directly to their next target, and she just hoped that her fears were simply unfounded.

With what seemed like uncharacteristic reluctance Faye headed over to the library computer and pulled out both book and library card, scanning her card before passing the book through the machine. Collecting her receipt she stashed both away once more, and with a hint of a limp the pair left the library. Faye directed Dwain to her car and unlocked the little Punto's doors.

"There was a story in that book," she explained once the pair were in the safety of the vehicle. "Which spoke of what I believe is an orb. I've managed to trace the family that I think it belongs to, one of the old families over in the Burnrise area. They seem rather attached to the relic, as it appears a couple of times in their history and even in the coat of arms."

Pulling away from the library as slow as any other day, she carried on relaying her findings to the librarian. "There's been no direct mention of an orb in their possession for some years now, but there is mention about orbs in general. Apparently they have a rather quiet collection going, as momentarily referenced in an auctioneer's memoirs from about forty years past. A book about stonemasonary through the years had a brief sentence on how one of Wallace's premier sculptures was asked to produce three spheres of precise measurements for one of their family at the turn of the twentieth century. I also found something about an onyx gemstone of slightly smaller proportions having been sold to them for quite a considerable sum a few years back - true black onyx, one of the most impressive pieces of work from that medium because of how near-perfect the carving is. They have an orb Dwain, and whether it has now just become another stone in their collection or they know what they have, it's there."

OFF

- Post by Faye

Dwain listened intently to Faye's recounting of her findings. Her search had been very thorough and sounded absolute. He was silent a moment mulling over the information he had just taken in, and was now pondering how to approach the family. Force was an option he wanted to avoid today and theft wasn't any more appealing. "Sounds like this is going to need a special touch. What do you know about the current family? I'd like to do this with as little conflict as possible. If we could get them to give us the orb willingly it could open up future opportunities to get at other orbs owned by people." Dwain said sharing an opinion on how to go about things. "Although the trick will be to get them to trust if we go about it like that." He added thoughtfully.

They each placed their orders and Eric wrung each of the teenagers up one at a time.

((Adriana: Wring them up with rope for crying out loud.))

Adriana stopped her bike outside of the burger joint. The ping from Vayne's phone had placed him inside nearly two minutes ago. She didn't see him anywhere and resorted to looking back down at her phone. Another ping came in saying the phone was somewhere inside the shop. She parked the bike, took her helmet off, and brushed some of her hair out of her face. She placed her phone in her pocket and walked into the fast-food restaurant.

~

After getting no response from Delucin, Natalya took out her phone and called Faye's number. She had no idea what was going on and she wanted to find out where she needed to go.

"Come on. Pick up, Faye, pick up." she whispered.

((Eric: If only it were that easy. BTW: I think the Adrianna image link is broken happy.gif))

The door opened and as the only cashier on the counter Eric was forced to respond to it, so he turned away from Vayne and answered. "Welcome to Burger Corner, what can I get for you?" He said to Adrianna swinging back into Auto-happy. "Look kid, get lost I got work." He whispered scathingly to Vayne out of the corner of his mouth. Stupid brat, thinks he can do whatever he wants. This is why I hate kids.

Edited by En'K'Haral

((I have the photo saved to my computer. I'll get it in the morning. Needless to say, right now she is wearing a pair of black jeans, boots, a white tee, and a leather jacket.))

Adriana briefly met Eric's gaze before letting her eyes wander behind the counter. She didn't see who he was whispering to but she thought it safe to assume it was Vayne. She flashed a pleasant smile at the man and walked closer. Lightly grasping the helmet in her left hand, she glanced around the man. She enough, Vayne stood there nearly out of sight.

"Small order of fries." the woman said without any hint that she'd noticed Vayne. She handed over a five dollar bill. If Vayne needed her, he'd call. Meanwhile, she would let the avatar handle whatever business he had here while she stuck nearby.

((No rush I just like to have an idea of what the other characters look like happy.gif))

"Coming right up miss." He said punching in the order and wringing up the price. "One fifty, and is that for here or to go?" He said to Adrianna as she handed him the five and he pulled out the required change. Eric counted out three fifty and handed it back to Adrianna. "It will be ready in a second." NO sooner had the words left his mouth than Betty had brought the fries to the front before returning to her burger flipping.

((Shoot...I completely forgot! <<

Ironically...Eric would hate Adriana because her family is pretty well off... This should be interesting.))

"For here please." she said pleasantly enough as he handed her the change.

"I'm sorry, but do I know you...Eric?" she said, her eyes flicking to the name tag he wore.

"You seem familiar." the woman said giving him a puzzled look as she moved off to the side.

"I don't suppose you work anywhere else?"

There weren't any customers behind her so it would probably be a good time for Vayne to speak...

((Everyone in Vayne's team is well off... money wise xd.png))

((That's just how we roll...Eric is gonna dislike everyone besides Vayne... lol)

Edited by TotallyDrow

((Argles. Sorry peeps. I wanted to post yesterday but real life kept insisting on happening. I can't remember what I was going to post T-T))

Eric, as the tag on his chest revealed, didn't seem too pleased at Vayne approaching him behind the counter. He reprimanded the avatar for startling him and warned him that he couldn't be there. Vayne remained silent as Adriana entered the restaurant and approached the counter, placing an order.

Her eyes scanned the area around Eric and Vanye realised she was looking for him. He had made himself invisible to everyone but Eric, but he saw no reason why Adriana couldn't be let in as well.

After a woman nearly knocked him over handing Eric a small box of potato strips Vayne fully dropped the illusion and allowed everyone to see him. He didn't want to get jostled around.

"Adriana, good timing. I was thinking about increasing our numbers as we have regrettably lost Est."

((Oops, didnt realize Vayne was only visible to Eric.

In all fairness, Adriana is middle class and she doesn't accociate with her parents. What she earned was from hard work.))

Hatred, annoyance, and worry filled Adriana's heart at Vayne's last comment, but she kept her composure and pleasant expression.

"Indeed? And your conclusion?" she said glancing at Eric.

"Perhaps we have a job for you, Eric."

((Eh hehehe Eric's opinion on privileged is nearly everyone except the poor, lower-middle class, and working class. As far as I can tell he isn't going to be particularly fond of anyone. Fortunately he is a business man he can at least tolerate the other darkness warriors. If there is anyone he would openly fight with it will likely be Revan. The boy exemplifies everything Eric hates about rich people.))

Eric eyed the girl carefully before answering, "I do odd jobs on the side for a little extra cash so maybe." He answered plainly. If this girl really had seen him before it either meant she was a customer, or she had spotted him during a deal, or worse she was a cop. At this point the boy piped up about adding him to their numbers. Adding me to their numbers? Who the hell is this kid, some kind of syndicate goon? Eric pondered as he looked back down to Vayne. His attention was drawn back to Adrianna when she mentioned a job. "I don't cut deals here and I'm not cutting deals today. My shift is almost over and I need shut eye before I come back for the midnight shift. So unless the boss has some miraculous change of heart your just going to have to wait until tomorrow evening." He said tersely to the pair. "Now get out from behind the till kid before the boss sees you."

ON:

Faye nodded slowly. "After the ruckus at the power station last night I don't want us causing any more fights. Fighting is a last resort, not a first choice," she agreed. "The family in question are an old Wallace family, the Sommers. They haven't always been known by that name but they trace themselves all the way back to the barons of the area, and they have some wealth to their name. They also have what could almost be an obsession with orbs and spheres of stones, from the common to the precious. I can easily talk our way in - I'm a geophysicist after all - but finding the orb and taking it from them..." She sighed. "I'd rather leave theft as a last choice. I certainly don't want to force them into anything, but there's threats and coercion and then there's negotiating."

OFF

- Post by Faye

Edited by Kestra15

"Negotiation sounds possible but it means needing something to negotiate with. If they were fame hungry or really interested in the dig we could get them to put the orb in themselves as a contrabution to the project. That way we get an orb, no one fights or steals and we minimize the chance of interference from the enemy. But that hinges on whether or not they're interested in adding their orb to the dig at Delucin's temple." Dwain said theorizing the ideal outcome but he sighed knowing that the real world rarely liked to play to people's ideals. "Since their obssessed with orbs maybe getting them to talk...or brag about their collection will show us some possibilities. I think from there a plan will come to mind, what do you think?" He concluded reclining the chair a bit so he could be moe comfortable. Edited by En'K'Haral

ON:

"From what I have gathered I don't think they'll be willing to simply part with the orb; if nothing else, they'll see it as a family heirloom of great worth. If we're lucky - or unlucky - they'll be aware of what it really is and we'll be either given it outright or there'll be a fight." Faye took a moment to look down at her cane, then returned her eyes to the road as she drove into the Burnside district. "I think we're just going to have to play it by ear."

OFF

- Post by Faye

Vayne gave Adriana a knowing smirk.

"A change of heart hmm? I think I can see to that."

He turned away from Eric and Adriana and headed back into the corridor. The two gossiping men had vanished, but Vayne could still hear someone arguing in the office. Vayne silently approached him and watched him from the doorway. The man seemed to carry the right air of authority about him. Vayne glanced up at the open door and read the words 'Managers Office'. It had to be the right person.

Vayne slipped into the room and took the seat in front of the manager who noticed him for the first time. He put his hand over the mouth of the phone and barked at him.

"Who the hell are you?" Get out of here."

Vayne smiled.

"There is something we need to discuss."

~~~

Five minutes later the manager opened the door leading to the kitchen and service area and headed straight for Eric. He was sweating profusely and his eyes were slightly out of focus. He concentrated on Eric's face and spoke.

"Eric? Why don't you head off early? I'll get Betty to cover you."

Despite the calmness in his voice he couldn't quite hide the hint of fear. He was also looking anywhere but at Vayne, who had followed him in and was standing beside him.

((Natalya: Why is no one answering her phone/mental call? **nudge nudge Kestra or Laura**))

Adriana smiled in amusement at Eric's mention of a change of heart. As Vayne walked out of the room a new customer entered. The warrior picked up her order.

"Don't worry, he'll make it worth your while." she said, slipping out of the way.

Five minutes later, Vayne exited the room with the man she assumed was the manager. She looked directly at Eric and a voice whispered softly to him saying that he should do as Vayne wanted. The voice appealed to his darker side and attempted to cloud Eric's judgement.

Adriana stayed quietly in her seat and waited for Eric's response.

Eric watched Vayne leave with suspicion as he listened to Adrianna, what exactly could he do and pay? The bell rang as the new customer walked in, Eric knew who he was and what he wanted since he never changed his order. ", Betty it's him. Double patty, large fry and root beer right?" The man smiled and nodded he both even knew how much was owed and the cutomer paid it out before Eric could ring it up. Like a well oiled machine Betty had brought the food out just as soon as Eric finished ringing it up and the man sat down at a window seat.

Five minutes later the boss came out looking like he'd just seen a ghost and told Eric he could go early. Eric eyed Vayne curiously, just what did this kid do? He heard the dark whisper in his mind and a smile crept across his face. "You don't suppose I could still have tomorrow off as well boos man." Eric said slyly and at first it seemed like the boss was going to tell him off but Eric glanced at Vayne again and the boss nodded. "Yeah, sure."

Eric smiled and walked past the boss and Vayne to the back. "Alright kid let's go, it's time to intregue me." He said over his shoulder hinting that the job needed to pay well.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dwain sighed as Faye stated they would have to play it by ear. "Well then heres hoping things work out for us." He said hopefully. "By the way, is your phone ringing or is that mine?" He reached into his pocket but found that his phone was actually turned off, which made sense since he had just come from work.

Edited by En'K'Haral

ON:

Faye frowned. "Check my bag," she said, glancing back at the bag she had put on the backseat. She had left it on vibrate and with the engine going and her mind churning over the task ahead, she had completely missed the sound of the phone buzzing in her bag. "If anyone asks, we're just investigating a lead. Don't even mention the word 'orb' please."

OFF

- Post by faye