~!~

Allow named dragons to be traded/abandoned

So, it used to be that names were permanent, so to prevent you from getting a dragon that already had a permanent name, you were unable to get rid of named hatchlings. I think we should do away with that. (I also think unfrozen hatchlings should be able to be described, but the odds that the description would get reviewed and accepted before the dragon grows up are slim.)

OK, so you might pick up a hatchling with a name. If you don't like it, you can just change it. No harm, no foul.

Thoughts?

I'm not sure I understand what you're suggesting.

Do you want the ability to trade/abandon named dragons?

If you name a dragon and then realize that you want to trade/abandon it, you can now remove the name by going to the Rename option and leaving the space blank.

Or do you know about the renaming option but want names to stick with hatchlings when you trade/abandon them?

Edited by miladyz

This is more for the novelty of catching a hatchling and having him be named already, maybe even described (if that were at all possible), so he would have a little personality. And, of course, as the new owner, you're feel to completely ignore that and make up your own personality for him. (Or just ignore it.) I feel like it would add a bit of whimsy to the game.

Huh. It might be really fun, to catch one and see what its name was. Might even have a slight potential to up trade value of commons, if you have a particularly nice/creative name for a hatchling and people like the idea of getting it.

The only real downside potential I can see is people feeling bad for changing the original owner's choice of names. IIRC there was a suggestion a while back for the ability to attach notes to abandoned eggs (something along the lines of "Hey, the lineage would look great if you bred this with a 2nd-gen White!" or "I'd love it if you continued the parents' naming scheme with this."), but it was eventually pretty much voted down because people were concerned about the potential to guilt/put too much pressure on the new owner of the egg/hatchling, when you're not supposed to have any control over it anymore.

Not that that'd be a huge concern for me, but anyhow. Just thought I'd bring up that possibility. XD

I just don't see the point, as we can remove names and then trade/abandon those hatchlings.

Naming a hatchling is kind of like a "I wanna keep this guy!" trait, so I don't see why they should be able to be traded/abandoned. ^^

l would like to be able to abandon/trade hatchies with names, but I don't want the hatchies to keep their names after abandoning/trading. You might accidentally trade a hatchie with a name you like that the other person also likes, and you can't really do anything if you want the name back.

I like it, I also think it would be fun to catch a hatchling and see what name it has.

I do think, however that it has a potential for drama, as in 'I gave it a very nice name that went perfectly with the names of the parents, and they changed it baahaa!'

Still, I don't think potential for drama is a good reason not to change something because then we would be stuck with a neverchanging game as practically every change has drama potential, so it has my vote!

Umm.... Interesting. But I wouldn't trade a hatchie with a name because I might want to use it again later. And, while I like to try to name eggs / hatchies after their lineage, if I really don't like those names, then I won't use them. That would be the same with the hatchies with a name. And I sure don't want them to come with descriptions because if I really hated the description, I might always look at the dragon with disdain when I might have otherwise not done so.

I just don't see the point, as we can remove names and then trade/abandon those hatchlings.

Naming a hatchling is kind of like a "I wanna keep this guy!" trait, so I don't see why they should be able to be traded/abandoned. ^^

Pretty much this.

Just like describing a dragon is giving it a personality, an identity tied to your scroll/clan, so is naming, usually. Naming in general is usually a pretty important thing, and most people wouldn't abandon their pets/children/etc after naming them.

Not against the suggestion, if it's REALLY wanted, I just don't get it.

This has nice potential lol. Could start a forum thread about the hatchlings you find with names or descriptions. Would love to hear all the stories; the good, the bad, and the ugly haha. I'd support :P

I'd like to be able to abandon/trade named hatchies, but abandoned ones should lose their names. I mean, you abandoned it. Think about it.

I think you should be able to trade or abandon a hatchling with a name. But that hatchling's name will be lost as soon as it leaves your scroll, and wont carry over to the next person. And really, the only reason I support this is because i can't help naming all my hatchies as soon as I'm able, now that I can just delete names if I want to trade. But not HAVING to go back and delete the name would be slightly more convenient for me. I quite often find myself trying to make an offer and wondering why the hatchie I wanted to offer didn't show up on the list. Then having to go back and unname, and re-offer. Not a big deal at all, but it would be convenient if those named hatchies would just show up on the tradable list.

I'd be content if it let you see your named dragons in the teleport list, because sometimes I name a dragon hatchling and then see a trade opportunity. I'm lazy, so having to back out of the teleport page, un-name the dragon, and go back to the teleport page is too many clicks.

Same for abandoning. Why should I have to un-name a dragon if I'm abandoning it? I don't have to un-name them to release them - their names just disappear.

Wouldn't matter to me in the least bit whether the name stays or goes, just reduce the number of steps I have to take to perform certain actions.

I think it would be kind of fun to catch a hatchie in the AP that already had a name, as long as it was still possible to change it. I don't have any scroll-wide naming schemes and I'm not picky about names so I'd probably keep the name the previous owner gave it. It's sort of like, when you go to the pound and pick out a dog that has a name, are you going to change its name? You can if you want to but some people don't. Even if you don't, it's still YOUR dog/dragon and the old name is sort of like a memento from the previous owner. It's not a bad thing.

l would like to be able to abandon/trade hatchies with names, but I don't want the hatchies to keep their names after abandoning/trading. You might accidentally trade a hatchie with a name you like that the other person also likes, and you can't really do anything if you want the name back.

This. If someone actually WANTS to pass a name with the hatchling, I don't mind - if I caught one 99% for sure I would change the name anyway - but I don't see the point, just the same. And I wouldn't trade one with a name, as once I'd thought of a name I'd prefer to keep it for my own scroll !

But to each his own - it wouldn't make any real difference to anything.

This^^.

I guess I don't see the point either.

I'm not against the naming, however, what I AM against is the describing. Because they are not reviewed quickly, someone might give a really bad description to the dragon(one that could get the dragon killed, if such a thing is possible anymore) and the new owner might not even think to check what the description was.

Even if they did put a good description on, if the new owner doesn't like it but it got reviewed and accepted, then you have essentially wasting the mod's time.

I'm not against the naming, however, what I AM against is the describing. Because they are not reviewed quickly, someone might give a really bad description to the dragon(one that could get the dragon killed, if such a thing is possible anymore) and the new owner might not even think to check what the description was.

Even if they did put a good description on, if the new owner doesn't like it but it got reviewed and accepted, then you have essentially wasting the mod's time.

Thanks to a project going on dragon's are now having descriptions reviewed in an average of three days sometimes shorter

Socky started up Description Review Days

Since this has started descriptions are being approved much much faster. you can't trade frozen hatchies or adults. so descriptions can't be traded with dragons

I have always seen naming a hatchling/dragon as the creation of the dragon-human connection, the point at which the dragon sees itself as "yours". To me, this is why abandoning means losing the name. The connection is broken, and the dragon becomes wild. Added to that, removing the name is not a difficult step to take for trading or gifting the hatchling. So I vote no.

Socky started up Description Review Days

Since this has started descriptions are being approved much much faster. you can't trade frozen hatchies or adults. so descriptions can't be traded with dragons

You missed the part in this suggestion where they were asking for growing hatchlings to be able to have descriptions written, and allow said hatchling to be traded/abandoned.