~!~

Allow named dragons to be traded/abandoned

So this suggestion is being supported so much because people don't want to take the few seconds to erase the dragon's name, right? Or they just want to abandon and hope the person keeps the name? So basically, it's more convenient.

But what about the other side of that coin? It will make it *less* convenient for Random User A, who picks up an abandoned hatchling and realizes it already has a name and they do *not* want their hatchlings to have names at all, so now they have to take those extra steps to erase it.

Instead of a feature that makes things a tad more convenient for some people, and a tad *less* convenient for some people, how about only allowing named dragons to be Teleported? That way the person getting the egg can already know that the dragon is named, and you can make sure beforehand that that's okay with them (or that they won't be put off with the extra steps of undoing it). And then us AP-grabbers won't be inconvenienced either.

So this suggestion is being supported so much because people don't want to take the few seconds to erase the dragon's name, right? Or they just want to abandon and hope the person keeps the name? So basically, it's more convenient.

I think a good majority of the people supporting this are doing so because it would be fun, exciting, and add potential personality to something they may pick up.

But what about the other side of that coin? It will make it *less* convenient for Random User A, who picks up an abandoned hatchling and realizes it already has a name and they do *not* want their hatchlings to have names at all, so now they have to take those extra steps to erase it.

Picking up a hatchling is a fantastic reward in of itself. Even sorely inbred hatchlings and picked up with gusto and rarely thrown back. I do not think a name that can be easily erased would put a damper on the joy of obtaining the hatching in the first place.

I'm not saying it would put a "damper" on things. But multiple people in this thread mentioned how much "easier" it would be to do things this way. I was simply pointing out that it wouldn't be "easier" for the people who picked up the hatchling with the unwanted named.

I like the idea back on page two, users allowed to abandon hatchlings that have been named, *but* the name disappears once it gets picked up.

Hmm, I see. So the gist of this idea can be any of the following...

Allowing named hatchlings to be abandoned, name is erased

Allowing named hatchlings to be abandoned, name is kept but erasable

Allowing named hatchlings to be traded, name is erased

Allowing named hatchlings to be traded, name is kept but erasable

I think I've been confused about which people are referring to =P And you would just like them to be available for abandoning, no strings attached.

Don't know-- I see options 1 and 3 so similar to 2 and 4, I'd think having them keep their names would satisfy everyone regardless.

Edited by Nine

Hmm, I see. So the gist of this idea can be any of the following...

Allowing named hatchlings to be abandoned, name is erased

Allowing named hatchlings to be abandoned, name is kept but erasable

Allowing named hatchlings to be traded, name is erased

Allowing named hatchlings to be traded, name is kept but erasable

I think I've been confused about which people are referring to =P And you would just like them to be available for abandoning, no strings attached.

Don't know-- I see options 1 and 3 so similar to 2 and 4, I'd think having them keep their names would satisfy everyone regardless.

I prefer this:

Named hatchies can be traded OR abandoned, but the names are erased.

I'm not saying it would put a "damper" on things. But multiple people in this thread mentioned how much "easier" it would be to do things this way. I was simply pointing out that it wouldn't be "easier" for the people who picked up the hatchling with the unwanted named.

I like the idea back on page two, users allowed to abandon hatchlings that have been named, *but* the name disappears once it gets picked up.

I supported the idea not because it would be more convenient, but because of the fun factor of picking up hatchlings that were already named.

About it being inconvenient for the person picking it up: chances are, if it is someone who cares about names, that person was going to name it anyway, and changing the name of a hatchling is not more work than giving an unnamed hatchling a name.

If you go with the name disappearing once the hatchling gets picked up, you lose the potentially fun part and this becomes only about being too lazy to remove the name before abandoning/teleporting.

In that case, I'm not really against it being implemented, but I'm not in support either... I don't think the added convenience outweighs the time TJ would have to put into changing things, even if it is just a minor change to the code.

If you really dislike having to erase the name before you can abandon/teleport, don't name a dragon before you're absolutely sure it's going to stay on your scroll...

Edited by Fengari

About it being inconvenient for the person picking it up: chances are, if it is someone who cares about names, that person was going to name it anyway, and changing the name of a hatchling is not more work than giving an unnamed hatchling a name.
I really don't care one way or the other (except that I am big on the GUILT of erasing a carefully chosen name....) - but this is so very true. As is the plain fact that the person GETTING the hatchling shouldn't mind erasing a name if they need to, as - well, look on it as a small payment for a big present !

If you really dislike having to erase the name before you can abandon/teleport, don't name a dragon before you're absolutely sure it's going to stay on your scroll...

This too. How long - HONESTLY - does it take to erase a name before you abandon/teleport ? That side of this does seem more than impossibly lazy. But if you aren't going to keep it - why name it ? Does anyone make a habit of doing that ?

Instead of a feature that makes things a tad more convenient for some people, and a tad *less* convenient for some people, how about only allowing named dragons to be Teleported? That way the person getting the egg can already know that the dragon is named, and you can make sure beforehand that that's okay with them (or that they won't be put off with the extra steps of undoing it). And then us AP-grabbers won't be inconvenienced either.

I would support this

I love naming my own draggies. that's why everyone gets a name soon after i know it's gender. i think picking up pre-named would destroy some fun for me.

how about it was an option you could tick on account settings?? say hatchies with names can be abandoned and depending on the receivers settings, the name could be kept, or wiped

Say, member A abandons hatchie named abcd

member B catches abcd but has option ticked so hatchie looses name

OR

Member C catches abcd and doesn't have option ticked so abcd keeps its name

No idea how that will go coding wise but i think it caters to both sides of the argument

how about it was an option you could tick on account settings?? say hatchies with names can be abandoned and depending on the receivers settings, the name could be kept, or wiped.

As always, making things optional is the elegant solution to the problem of people with different likes and dislikes.

The only issue about that is the sheer number of settings we're going to have if all suggestions that finalise on 'optional' get implemented biggrin.gif

I personally don't think that there is enough 'inconvenience' when names are kept to warrant the need for a specific checkbox in account settings. If you were going to name it anyway, renaming is not more trouble, and if you want it to be unnamed, erasing the name is also not that hard to do.

I also think people are overestimating the number of hatchlings that will have names when abandoned or traded. I know I'm not going to go through the trouble of thinking of a name for a hatchling I don't intend to keep, except when they are from a lineage that is really special to me.

About the guilt argument, fuzz, I think it is lovely that you would be so considerate toward the breeder's feelings that you would hesitate to change the name even if you didn't like it. However, it is generally accepted that once someone lets a dragon leave his scroll, they don't have any rights to it anymore. If it is OK to kill, bite, ND, ... a dragon you found on the AP, it should also be OK to rename it, I would think.

That you would personally not like to do it shouldn't be an argument, just as it is also not an argument to disable killing, biting, .... for eggs you got from the AP or through trading.

Edited by Fengari

About the guilt argument, fuzz, I think it is lovely that you would be so considerate toward the breeder's feelings that you would hesitate to change the name even if you didn't like it. However, it is generally accepted that once someone lets a dragon leave his scroll, they don't have any rights to it anymore. If it is OK to kill, bite, ND, ... a dragon you found on the AP, it should also be OK to rename it, I would think.

That you would personally not like to do it shouldn't be an argument, just as it is also not an argument to disable killing, biting, .... for eggs you got from the AP or through trading.

Oh I KNOWWWW ! But I was brought up on guilt trips being Good for the Soul ! smile.gif

But I still can't see the ultimate point of this; if someone WANTS a name carried through, they can ask. Though I do agree it is sheer laziness not wanting the TERRIBLE EFFORT of erasing before abandoning ! blink.gif

Oh I KNOWWWW ! But I was brought up on guilt trips being Good for the Soul ! smile.gif

But I still can't see the ultimate point of this; if someone WANTS a name carried through, they can ask. Though I do agree it is sheer laziness not wanting the TERRIBLE EFFORT of erasing before abandoning ! blink.gif

Providing though that it is a trade and you have access to the person on a forum. From what I have seen, this is just a cute little extra you might get if you pick up a hatchling off of the AP, not something that would happen as often through trades.

The point is it has the possibility of a fun little extra when picking up a hatchling from someone else. I like seeing what other people call their dragons, I always 'read' the lineages of the dragons I get from the AP or through trade, and I think it would be fun to have dragons on my scroll that received their names from someone other than me. It would most likely result in names on my scroll that are distinctively different from the kind of names I give (which are not very imaginative).

And if I really don't like it, it might give me some inspiration for something that I think is more suitable.

So for me, the point is not on the end of the person who abandons or trades away, but on the end of the receiver.

Maybe that's the point to you, Fengari, and that's fine.

But not for me. Not for those of us who don't *like* feeling pressured in certain ways and who really get frustrated about those certain ways.

Do you guys remember the Suggestion of a note or message or something, that you could send through when you abandoned a dragon? My feelings on that suggestion are pretty much my feelings on this suggestion. I didn't like that suggestion because users could easily write "please don't breed" or "don't freeze this!" or somesuch, and that's just not right.

When I pick up a dragon from the AP, it's because someone else has *abandoned* it. Left it to die or fend for itself. That person doesn't get to lay claim on *my* dragon by naming it! I pick up these dragons to "save" them. I don't *want* to see that they are already named, because then I struggle with that same pressure/guilt that fuzzbucket was talking about.

We aren't supposed to affect other people's scrolls or push our gameviews on others. So why be allowed to push a dragon's name on someone else? The fact that it can be erased doesn't matter with the point I'm trying to get across.

This may sound blunt, but if the guilt of picking up a named hatchling is too great to overcome, just abandon it again. I'm sure there will be plenty of unnamed hatchlings in the future. If the guilt is that unbearably strong, it should surpass the desire to add one more number to the menagerie.

I just... am having trouble understanding, I suppose. You pick up a hatchling which is a fantastic reward. It's named, but you can delete it. The pressure that its previous name creates should be no more than parents with Dorkface / Thuwed surnames, or even gens, stairsteps, two-breed lineages right? So you may be pressured to name it a Dorkface, but you certainly don't have to and I don't believe that was the intention of the one who abandoned it.

Saying that naming hatchlings then abandoning them is trying to push views onto others is, a bit exaggerated? If it was named something like "if you breed this you're stupid" maybe. Not trying to diminish the feelings and opinions of others here, just trying desperately to understand them.

I've just always been under the impression that our scrolls, and the dragons we pick up, are *ours*. Influence/etc falls off when eggs are abandoned, right? You can't trade/abandon a frozen hatchling. I was always under the impression that those sort of "ownership" things wouldn't be a problem when I picked up something from the AP, because it's been *abandoned*.

And actually, yes, I could totally see someone using this feature to name a dragon "don't breed me" or somesuch and then abandoning it.