KhemikalKhid

Interesting Animal Facts.

Also... if you're ever in the grip of a constrictor snake, if you pour alcohol on its head, it will release.

I highly advise against this =/ If you can move around to get alcohol, you can wait for the snake to get off on its own accord. You probably did something to startle it in the first place, not to mention that many snakes will naturally curl around hands and arms when you're holding them. Especially don't squeeze them.

I'd be pissed if someone poured alcohol onto a beloved snake because they felt it was suffocating their arm! Pfft =p

There is such a thing! Three things, actually, Chickenhawk is a common name for three species of hawk native to North America (the Cooper's Hawk, the Sharp-shinned Hawk and the Red-tailed Hawk). They will eat free range poultry, but they usually eat other types of birds.

But it is not a proper term for them. They are not really chickenhawks.

(I knew I should have thought up a different fact because of that. Oh well.)

We share 70% of our DNA with a slug

Lol! So funny.

I highly advise against this =/ If you can move around to get alcohol, you can wait for the snake to get off on its own accord. You probably did something to startle it in the first place, not to mention that many snakes will naturally curl around hands and arms when you're holding them. Especially don't squeeze them.

I'd be pissed if someone poured alcohol onto a beloved snake because they felt it was suffocating their arm! Pfft =p

It's not something I've done... and I doubt I would ever do it to a pet, mine or anyone else's. But it is a fact.

Edited by rainbowsmile

The memory span of goldfish is just about 3 seconds.

this is untrue.

if you shave a tiger, the stripe pattern will still be there.

the unicorn myth was originally made from a farmer who had a goat with it's horns twisted round infront of it's head!

i think that's an animal fact; or a myth fact.

i'm thinking we should make this one fact per post or something so we don't have to read these reallly loooonnnnggg post of fact that are said over and over and are contradicted, we just skip them? just an idea.

The horned toad squirts blood from its eyes when angered.

Cats lack a true collarbone and can fit through any space they can get their heads through.

some species of frog will scream like children scream when being attacked.

Lion's roars can be heard from 10miles away

Lions can jump 10m to catch prey

A puma is a couger and they are both moutain lions

A panther is actully a black leopard

When you watch TV, you see a smoothly moving video that seems to flow together. When your dog or cat watches TV, they are able to perceive each individual frame instead of seeing smooth movement like us. :3

The world's smallest vertebrate is a little frog just a few millimeters long:

user posted image

Link to article: link

Polar bears are not white. They have transparent fur and black skin. The only reason it looks white is because of the light that reflects off the snow.

Black panthers are NOT black. They are just a very dark brown, like many domestic " black" cats.

Edited by Vixonstar

The world's smallest vertebrate is a little frog just a few millimeters long:

(pic)

Whoa, you mean there's something even smaller than this guy?

user posted image

Touche nature, touche.

A panther is actully a black leopard

It could also be a black jaguar. Either species can have a darker color variation, and both are called panthers, but they are technically still members of the species they were born as.

A giraffe's tongue is so long it can clean it's ears.

A giraffes tongue is also blue to prevent sun burn ^^

With an estimated 40,000 species of spider only 1 is a vegetarian. I give you the Bagheera kiplingi spider user posted image

With an estimated 40,000 species of spider only 1 is a vegetarian. I give you the Bagheera kiplingi spider user posted image

It looks like it's eating a tangerine slice! SO ADORABLE

I'll bump this up with some Moray Eel Facts:

• Moray eels are very shy and reclusive creatures, though they have poor eyesight. Most eel-related attacks happen when foolish divers try to feed them.

• Morays also possess a second set of jaws inside their throat and use these to capture and hold prey. They are the only animals that are known to do this.

• Sadly-- because of the Moray's awesome jaws-- they cannot release their grip once they bite down, even in death =(

• These eels are so great, they've even been known to join forces with grouper in cooperative hunts. Again, they hold the honor of being the only other fish to do this.

• Morays have the best smile in the animal kingdom! It's totally true.

Domesticated pigs turn into boars after a few generations if released into the wild.

Pythons lay eggs and boas give birth, anacondas are boas.

Birds are reptiles (though this is still being debated).

Millipedes have many parasites living on them that keep them clean.

Birds are reptiles (though this is still being debated).

Unless I'm seriously misinformed, birds are warm blooded. o.o

Mexican Black Kingsnakes are actually brown.

Unless I'm seriously misinformed, birds are warm blooded. o.o

Mexican Black Kingsnakes are actually brown.

birds are warm blooded, amphibians are cold blooded but they aren't reptiles. the temperature of your blood doesn't determine what part of the animal kingdom you fall into tongue.gif

Plus many suggest that dinosaurs were warm blooded or were able to regulate their blood temperature.