KhemikalKhid

Interesting Animal Facts.

A blue whale's heart is the size of a car, and some of its arteries are so large that a child could craw through them. Their flukes are the length of a small killer whale. Their calves are as large as an adult elephant when born and gain an average of 200 pounds a day on their mothers' milk.

Many of the larger whales are known for their enormous gapes. While some baleen whales can swallow millions of krill in a single gulp, they can't swallow anything larger than a grapefruit. (Kinda speaks for itself in the whole "Jonah and the whale" story tongue.gif)

birds are warm blooded, amphibians are cold blooded but they aren't reptiles. the temperature of your blood doesn't determine what part of the animal kingdom you fall into tongue.gif

Plus many suggest that dinosaurs were warm blooded or were able to regulate their blood temperature.

Yes, but reptiles are all cold-blooded. As far as I know, there are no exceptions.

Yes, but reptiles are all cold-blooded. As far as I know, there are no exceptions.

birds would be that exception but again it's still up for debate.

Edited by DragonKing1337

The largest flying insect in known history is the dragonfly. A fossil of one was found with a wingspan of 3 feet.

I Loled at Sock's (The 2nd) Post as this is the first time I've seen this thread. xd.png

A group of vultures is called a venue.

Parakeets (and many trainable, pet birds) can kill themselves playing with things like string and toys.

Butterflies don't take showers. In fact, when they get wet, they can't fly and go into shock sad.gif

A hermit crab secretes a type of "oil" that protects them in some way. This being said, it is impossible for a human to get sick from a hermit crab.

•Betta fish should never be housed in cups, jars, or bowls, since they can be easily stressed out. They should be housed in a minimal of 3-26 gallons.

•Female bettas can live in groups of 4-40, depending on the size of the tank.

•Certain Betta's are more aggressive than others.

•Betta males can live together, so long as they show no aggression, or are extremely mellow. Each fish has a different personality, some are more aggressive than others, while some are not. The more mellow fish can be kept with other males, though, this still should NOT be practiced.

Edited by Godzilla 2000

• Sadly-- because of the Moray's awesome jaws-- they cannot release their grip once they bite down, even in death =(

Wait what? Morays can let go once they bite something. I've seen mine do it a bunch of times.

I think that tidbit is referring specifically to their internal jaws, but the idea that they are 100% incapable of releasing their grip with those is likely an exaggeration. Perhaps it depends on the species and size of prey, in this case a human arm. I'd assume it's used as another precautionary warning for people who are considering feeding them on dives (and protects the eels too).

When cats "wag" their tails, It actually means that they are stressed, or angry.

((found that out the hard way))

Edited by shadow_claw

When cats "wag" their tails, It actually means that try are stressed, or angry.

Totally depends, especially of the position of the tail.

Hatchets can jump 2 feet in the air....and these things aren't even an inch long.

^Found out today when one of my babies tried to "escape"...

user posted imageuser posted image

(Derpiest looking thing ever!!! wub.gif I have 5 marbled ones in my tank with Japonica shrimp!)

..that 'Daddy Longlegs' are not actually spiders? They are called Harvestmen and while they are arachnids, they are not spiders. They have one section on their body where as spiders have two, and only two eyes, which spiders have 8.

Though sometimes people call Pholcus phalangioides daddy long legs to, and while it is a spider the Harvestmen is the one most commonly referred to as such.

=)

You can tell weather a snake is a sea snake or not by it's tail. If the end of the snakes tail is like a fish's tail, then they are sea snakes.

Big kitty facts:

There are less than 40 Amur Leopards left in the wild.

There are 500 Amur Tigers in the wild today.

Snow leopards are unusual among cats for their gray eyes.

The cheetah is so inbred that it's capable of taking grafts from other animal rather than simply themselves.

The bottleneck of 10,000 years ago in the cheetah population reduced its numbers to a total of 7 individuals, deduced by the differences in gene markers that are displayed in the entire cheetah population of today.

Big kitty facts:

There are less than 40 Amur Leopards left in the wild.

There are 500 Amur Tigers in the wild today.

Snow leopards are unusual among cats for their gray eyes.

The cheetah is so inbred that it's capable of taking grafts from other animal rather than simply themselves.

The bottleneck of 10,000 years ago in the cheetah population reduced its numbers to a total of 7 individuals, deduced by the differences in gene markers that are displayed in the entire cheetah population of today.

Humans can accept body parts (pigs' lungs -- hasn't been done yet but likely will happen by 2015) instead of ours as well. What does that have to do with being inbred?

Edited by 7Deadly$ins

When cats "wag" their tails, It actually means that they are stressed, or angry.

No, not really. Sure for some cats, but both of my cats wag their tails when they get excited for play, for pets (either demanding or because they're happy for them) or simply because why not.

It depends on the cat.

No, not really. Sure for some cats, but both of my cats wag their tails when they get excited for play, for pets (either demanding or because they're happy for them) or simply because why not.

It depends on the cat.

Suffice it to say cats =/= dogs, and that the movements of a cat's tail convey completely different things to the movements of a dog's tail. It's probably best not to think of a cat's tail twitching as 'wagging' at all, because that implies everything that goes with a dog.

Suffice it to say cats =/= dogs, and that the movements of a cat's tail convey completely different things to the movements of a dog's tail. It's probably best not to think of a cat's tail twitching as 'wagging' at all, because that implies everything that goes with a dog.

I know, but the action is much more of a "wag", akin to a dog's wag, than it is a "twitch" for my cats. Though the emotions behind them are always different, I was simply making a point that tail movement is not always aggressive.

I know, but the action is much more of a "wag", akin to a dog's wag, than it is a "twitch" for my cats. Though the emotions behind them are always different, I was simply making a point that tail movement is not always aggressive.

I know the action you're describing wink.gif It's the whole lashing thing when they're stalking something. I wasn't disagreeing with you, though. The point about not thinking of it as wagging was mostly adressed to the OP.

I know the action you're describing wink.gif It's the whole lashing thing when they're stalking something. I wasn't disagreeing with you, though. The point about not thinking of it as wagging was mostly adressed to the OP.

Then what about the repetitive tail movement from back-to-forth when they're just sitting there, content with being petted? o_O That seems like wagging to me.

Then what about the repetitive tail movement from back-to-forth when they're just sitting there, content with being petted? o_O That seems like wagging to me.

It's not a sign of contentment. Not in cats. Even if they're purring at the same time. Normally it translates as 'I'm very happy to be sitting with you, but I no longer wish to be stroked'. In an easy-going cat it won't go any further than the tail movement, I've known plenty of cats that if they get to that stage and you *don't* stop you'll end up with a gentle bite to the hand to say 'really, stop now'.

Edited to add: Ear set is also vitally important for reading a cat. I imagine your cat's ears are quirked backwards a little when they start doing that. That's another sign of growing displeasure.

Edited by TikindiDragon

It's not a sign of contentment. Not in cats. Even if they're purring at the same time. Normally it translates as 'I'm very happy to be sitting with you, but I no longer wish to be stroked'. In an easy-going cat it won't go any further than the tail movement, I've known plenty of cats that if they get to that stage and you *don't* stop you'll end up with a gentle bite to the hand to say 'really, stop now'.

Edited to add: Ear set is also vitally important for reading a cat. I imagine your cat's ears are quirked backwards a little when they start doing that. That's another sign of growing displeasure.

Huh.

Okay, cool, I learned something today. o3o

Yeah, that's why many people think cats are absolutely crazy and bipolar. Because one second the cat was in your lap, purring and tail "wagging" and the next second you have claws and teeth in your arm (this has happened to me). It's not the cat being crazy. The cat gave you a lot of warning signs (including, as Tikinidi said, the ears) but people are more used to reading dog body language.