KhemikalKhid

Interesting Animal Facts.

Pacman frogs have mouths as wide as their bodies.

Edited by Dragon_Lord

Speaking of frogs... There exists a genus of beetle called Epomis, with larvae that eats (living) frogs much larger than itself. In one case, the frog managed to swallow it but spit it out two hours later. Then it was eaten.

Black wolves have a mutation given to them from wolf/dog hybridization.

A male cat is called a Tom or gib, and a female is sometimes called a queen or Molly.

A group of cats is called a clowder.

A fall from a seven story building is more dangerous to a cat than a fall from higher ones, because a higher fall allows them to reach their non-lethal terminal velocity.

White cats with blue eyes are often deaf.

The sound a cicada makes comes from something called a tymbal. Both males and females have them, but only males can make the sound.

Cicadas are the only insects that can sweat.

Periodical cicadas are the longest lived north american insect.

Male ligers (lion/tiger hybrid) never hit puberty.

A litigon is a rare second generation hybrid of a female tigon (tiger/lion) and a male lion.

The Dayak fruit bat male lactates.

Chickens can fly short distances.

The wood frog freezes in the winter and seems to die, then comes back when it thaws!

And that's all I can think of for now!

Hippo milk is pink

Frogs never close their eyes

A dragonfly has a lifespan of 24 hours

Bald eagles can swim

Orcas kill sharks by torpedoing up into their stomach which causes the shark to explode

Two animal facts that I can personally attest to from my training as a lab animal technician...

A Rat cannot vomit, it is like a hirse in that aspect...

Rabbits practice caprophagy,. When they eat their food, it is not completely digested and they recover their feces (poop pellets) when it exits the anus and re-consume it to more fully digest the nutrients from the food. These poop pellets are frequently still green in color when they are first passed...

Polar bears can grow to be over 3.1 meters tall and weigh 680 kg.

These are some I can name off the top of my head...

The humming bird is the only animal that can fly backwards.

The worlds smallest mammal is the bumblebee bat, weighing less than 2 grams.

A group of owls is called a parliament.

Orcas are actually a species of dolphin, not whale.

Koalas are not bears, they are most closely related to the wombat.

Koalas can be incredibly dangerous.

Whale baleen is the made of the same stuff as your finger nails, a protein called keratin.

Sperm whales got their name for the oil contained in their bulbous heads called spermaceti.

Ants stretch when they wake up in the morning.

Kangaroos cannot walk, they can only jump.

When first born a shrimp is male and then evolves into a female over time.

Dogs are mentioned 14 times in the bible but cats are not mentioned once. (Not really a fact about the animals themselves but thought it was interesting :3)

A pig's orgasm lasts for 30 minutes .w.

I was watching a documentary comparing domestic dogs to wolves so I have a few tidbits here.

Did you know...

- The paw prints of the wolf leave behind scent, even in the snow? It's part of how a pack tracks each other, there are scent glands in the pads of the wolf's paw that other wolves are able to sniff to know where each other has been/is going.

- Adult wolves don't actually bark, they howl. Barking is actually a puppy-like trait that wolves outgrow and rarely use. They say the reason why domestic dogs still bark is because they are domesticated and in a sense never have to grow up because they have humans to care for them 24/7, much unlike the wolf.

Some types of goats faint.

First page, but anyways... I know what you're referring to, and it's not technically fainting because they're still conscious. The breed that does this has a condition that causes muscle spasms in their legs when they're stressed, making them fall over. IIRC, this is also possible in cats.

Ravens or crows can recognize individuals. If you mess with them, they'll remember your face, and tell their families to mess with you.

An oily substance forms in a whale's intestines to protect it from anything sharp. Humans will use it for makeup, perfume, and sometimes will eat it...maybe even if it comes out the rear.

Hippo milk is pink

Frogs never close their eyes

A dragonfly has a lifespan of 24 hours

Bald eagles can swim

Orcas kill sharks by torpedoing up into their stomach which causes the shark to explode

Frogs close their eyes. I'm not sure where you got that from.

Dragonflies also live way more than 24 hours. The larvae can live for years, and the adults usually have at -least- a few weeks.

Not sure if it's been said before, but here goes:

-A female hyena's clitoris is so large it is mistaken for a penis

-Sharks have organs that allow them to sense minute electrical changes, the organ is called the Ampullae of Lorenzini

-Cats will almost always land on their feet

-Certain breeds of cats has small flaps of skin on their sides that allow them to reach high ground speeds

-Nurse sharks can rest on substrate due to a gill pump that allows them to breathe without having to swim

Not sure this counts, but in the future, people might start eating bugs. A cricket provides a lot of protein, and takes not a lot to grow up, for example. People in other countries already eat bugs.

Bombardier Beatles actally make a chemical explosion, because their badass like that.

The horseshoe crab has a chemical in its blood that literally turns it blue.

Dunno if this counts, but from my (or shall I say, my cat's) experience, mockingbirds are fiercely protective of their young. My cat killed a mockingbird fledgling and its mother would dive-bomb him every time he stepped outside after that.

Edited by HawktalonOfRiverClan