CoraxG

Count the eggs in the AP

Support! (Fiona Bluefire's idea is awesome, too.)

Edited by stogucheme

I never though of this, but wow is that a good idea! It might also help keep people from breeding to abandon too much during times when the AP is especially loaded.

Perhaps that could be explained as every time a dragon owner puts an egg or hatchling in the area they make a mark on a scroll placed there, and every time somebody takes one they cross out that mark?

I like this idea. It could be helpful! happy.gif

Haha that makes complete sense. smile.gif

Either way, I support. ^^ It would be interesting to know and helpful.

i like it knowing how many in there would be nice

I approve this idea!

I also approve the suggest of adding another row or two to the AP.

Both suggestions don't hurt/change anything that would be beneficial to players. The only problem is the coding, which I don't think would be too difficult since the site has to keep track anyway (to decide if there's enough for Cave Block). n_n

I also like Fiona BlueFire's Idea of an Egg Meter. That's super cute and I would love to see it on the site. :3

I like the idea of knowing how many eggs are there too. I'm also 200% behind adding one or two MORE lines of eggs and shoving those annoying blinking, flashing, animated ads below eye-level - so-to-speak.

I like this idea :3 It might encourage more people to pick up eggs, too.

But it could just as likely have the opposite effect. If people see that the AP is backlogged by a lot, then they won't be as likely to pick anything up. Whereas at the moment, they might pick something up just hoping that it might help.

I'm not quite sure what I think of this suggestion. I know I get curious sometimes, but I'm not sure if I'd want to know at the end of the day. I like that we don't always get the answers to everything in the game. It's what keeps it exciting, in my opinion. I like that some things are left unknown. smile.gif

+ support here too.

In fact I accidentally started a thread with this. Its good to see there are already a lot of people interested.

From an RP'ers point of view it would make little sense knowing there are 153 eggs in the AP.

So, my suggestion, that is really easy to code and to add. Is just to add in the page description a little extra information with a round number of eggs in the AP.

here's an example, the bold is the part I added:

Once an egg has been touched by a human, the human's scent rubs off onto the egg. The mother dragon then will reject the egg and no longer be able to tell that it is her own. That's why these abandoned eggs and hatchlings are just sitting outside the cave, there's more a less 200 of them here, dying, and the mother dragon isn't doing anything about them.

In this case there could be, say: 200 eggs or 201 or 220!

I mean if you see a huge group of people you can't instantly count them but you instantly get a hint of an approximate number. Same would happen here with le eggs.

Wouldn't it be nice to know how many eggs and hatchies there are on the AP? Just under the viewers there would be hatchlings and eggs telling you how many there are of each. It would be nice to know in general and for the AP projects to see if how well they are doing in their clean out.

Edited by LoveOfTheMoonChild

Lol, we do all get curious about this from time to time, I expect, but the types and numbers would change continually, and take up a large space, not to mention adding a burden on the server...

Also, since it's now desirable to have the AP (no longer Blocking Cave Drops! thank TJ/goodness) sufficiently filled that the eggs coming up are incu-hatchable, we obviously don't want them cleaned out TOO quickly. biggrin.gif

People working on AP cleaning can probably tell by experience what Blockers are likely to appear, and 'messies' which few are likely to want, except perhaps for Freezing, have to be guessed at anyway...

Personally, what I'd like to see altered would be having the appearance of dragons in the AP contingent on date of capture/breeding/time of death, so that hatchies would appear on the front page first, to be taken on scrolls and to count in the ratios, rather than dying/going to the Wild where the sprites don't count in the ratios and are replaced yet again.

Obviously, that's just my opinion, though. smile.gif

the eggs coming up are incu-hatchable

Correction: the eggs coming up are ER, meaning lower than 4 days time.

Incuhatchable eggs are eggs with 5 days left of time, hence, when incubate is used they go down to 4 days time, which then makes them ER and ready to hatch.

I rather like this request, but would change it to: TJ, tell it to us somewhere instead. A news post with stats would be something nice.

Correction: the eggs coming up are ER, meaning lower than 4 days time.

Incuhatchable eggs are eggs with 5 days left of time, hence, when incubate is used they go down to 4 days time, which then makes them ER and ready to hatch.

Hi, xeyla, you are correct that the eggs currently - and frequently - coming up in the AP are ER; however, there are times when so many are taken that they do appear at points over 4 days but generally not over 5 days, (although this has occurred) and are therefore Incuhatch-able and often, but not always, ER.

And if you read the statement to which you refer:

'...since it's now desirable to have the AP...sufficiently filled that the eggs coming up are incu-hatchable, we obviously don't want them cleaned out TOO quickly. ...'

you'll see that this was not a statement referring to the current ER state of the eggs, but to the desirability of maintaining conditions in which the eggs come up being, at the least, Incuhatchable, rather than being cleaned out to a point where they are not.

I mention this, because this is an important point with regard to the AP cleaner programs mentioned by the OP.

As much as we appreciate their efforts, we do not want to lose the great advantage of our steady supply of ER/Incuhatch-able AP eggs to the enthusiasm of those who so nobly adopt the unwanteds. smile.gif

Not to seem ignorant, but what does all of that have to do with a couple of stats?  unsure.gif

That was a point initially made in relation to your mention of the AP cleaner groups, regarding the potential event of their determining to increase AP cleaning if discovering the number of what must be a massive number of dragons in the (blessed, lol) AP back-log, and on which I enlarged in noting that my comment had been misunderstood by a reader focusing on one partial (taken out-of-context) phrase only.

My response included an indirect reference to whitebaron's interposed, interesting - and, I strongly suspect, feasible - suggestion: 'I rather like this request, but would change it to: TJ, tell it to us somewhere instead. A news post with stats would be something nice.'

If it wasn't too much trouble for TJ, such posts would, indeed, be of interest to many, but I'd hate to see over-active AP cleaners galvanized by sheer numbers successfully clean up our treasured supply of ER/Incuhatchable AP eggs. smile.gif

Edit: in case this requires pointing out, virtually every action has potential to create reactions, the more likely of which it would be well to take into consideration, in avoiding unintended, potentially negative consequences, lol.

Re-edit: also, if the AP eggs showing are between 5 and 3 days, the AP cleaners are doing just fine in ALL respects, and that's something that can be easily seen, and that I thought wouldn't require pointing out, (stupidly not taking into account newer players not yet having the knowledge base - my apologies!) so didn't until now - better late than never, though. smile.gif

Re-re-edited: having made hash of an edited sentence/point intended to clarify, lol - do need more sleep...should be sleeping now...

Edited by Syphoneira

I don't see why not. It would be cool to know how far the AP goes back and watch the number flux around. So, support.

Not entirely sure if this has been suggested yet, but what do you think of having a counter in the AP that tells you how many eggs are currently in there? I feel like it would be an interesting addition to that part of the site, and maybe encourage more people to take eggs out of it!

Yep, sounds like a pretty good idea to me and I think it would help to boost AP adoptions. I support this. smile.gif

I can't see why people would adopt more if they knew how many there were.... I know I wouldn't.

I like the idea, but I don't see what actual purpose it woukd serve except just being cool. It would be useful if we had the ability to shuffle the eggs. As it is, though, we can't shuffle the eggs around to see what else is in there, and I hope we never can. That would lead to people simply shuffling the eggs for rares and leaving the commons to die.

I dunno. It's a cool idea. I've often wondered exactly how mant eggs are in the AP. I just don't see it having a point.

Well, if people had a concrete goal to aim for (and knew how close they were to reaching it), there might be more incentive to try to clear out the AP.

On the other hand, I love that the AP is usually overloaded / full of low time eggs, so I'm kind of neutral on this. Just because if such a project did launch due to it I'd hate it. xd.png