CoraxG

Count the eggs in the AP

Since the AP only shows a maximum of 30 eggs, there's no way of knowing if the backlog is 31 or 3100. How about putting a count at the bottom -- "There are XX eggs in the pile," or something like that? I think people might be more motivated to help tear down an AP wall if we could actually see the number go down as a result of our efforts.

Cute idea (though from an RPing standpoint one has to wonder who's counting xd.png).

Perhaps that could be explained as every time a dragon owner puts an egg or hatchling in the area they make a mark on a scroll placed there, and every time somebody takes one they cross out that mark?

I like this idea. It could be helpful! happy.gif

For all we know, there's a Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Dragons keeping statistics on what horrible egg orphaners we all are tongue.gif After all, SOMEONE is counting the number of users on the page....

Maybe an estimation of how many dragons there is?

Like when you count jelly beans inside of a glass jar?

"You think there might be more than X eggs in that pile"

Maybe an estimation of how many dragons there is?

Like when you count jelly beans inside of a glass jar?

"You think there might be more than X eggs in that pile"

I like your idea, Siryuki.

Me too. Would be quite useful... 3000? 99999? 31?

It would be nice to know, on occasion, whether or not taking an egg or two from the AP would make significant progress, percentage-wise, toward unblocking the cave. I support.

It would be nice to know, on occasion, whether or not taking an egg or two from the AP would make significant progress, percentage-wise, toward unblocking the cave. I support.

Then the information here won't be useful. The "blocking point" of the AP varies during releases, so that the cave doesn't just go from not-blocking-at-all to blocked-by-thousands-of-eggs. So at the end of an event, the cave might block at 9000 eggs instead of 30.

Then the information here won't be useful. The "blocking point" of the AP varies during releases, so that the cave doesn't just go from not-blocking-at-all to blocked-by-thousands-of-eggs. So at the end of an event, the cave might block at 9000 eggs instead of 30.

so maybe show like this:

"The entrance to the cave is blocked by __ abandoned eggs. Maybe you should help clear it out by taking one of the __ eggs that you can see."

on the front page, then in the AP have it show at the bottom next to the number of users:

"You can see __ eggs out of the __ eggs here."

so maybe show like this:

"The entrance to the cave is blocked by __ abandoned eggs. Maybe you should help clear it out by taking one of the __ eggs that you can see."

on the front page, then in the AP have it show at the bottom next to the number of users:

"You can see __ eggs out of the __ eggs here."

Where the number for "...blocked by __ abandoned eggs..." would be the number of eggs in the AP above the current block-point, while "...out of the __ eggs here" would give the total number of eggs in the AP?

I think that would be really confusing, actually. There will be endless questions about why the two "AP eggs" numbers aren't the same, because it's such a subtle difference, on the surface.

Something more basic like "Of the __ eggs in the AP, __ need to be picked up for the cave to unblock." on the AP page only might work, but might also still be confusing. Or perhaps "There are __ eggs in the AP. The cave gets blocked when there are over __ eggs in the AP." and leave people to do the math for themselves (I know, the horror!).

Though, I would find it interesting (shocking?) to know just how many eggs actually are in the AP when we can't see them all!

well, if we want to show the info we would want to know, then there's going to be two numbers no matter what.

we can only see __ eggs out of __. i was just phrasing it the best way i could figure from an RP perspective. :/

Where the number for "...blocked by __ abandoned eggs..." would be the number of eggs in the AP above the current block-point, while "...out of the __ eggs here" would give the total number of eggs in the AP?

yes, you interpreted my sentence correctly. ^^

Two numbers, yes, but you had 3/4 -- and it took me several rereads to figure out how your response even related to TJ's comment, while it still had the context of his comment. For anyone else who doesn't have that context, it's going to be very unclear what the distinction is -- especially for those without a very strong grasp of English nuances.

It seems to me that the best method would be to pick the two numbers we want most. And it looks like there are four numbers to choose from:

* The number of eggs visible, which (I imagine) would be mentioned largely for easier comparison, since it's otherwise redundant -- we can just count the eggs, for that number.

* The total number of eggs in the AP, which could be huge, but doesn't tell us anything about when the cave will unblock.

* The number of eggs at which the cave blocks, which would indicate the AP is above that number if the cave is blocked, but wouldn't tell how far above.

* The number of eggs in the AP above the "block-point", which would give an idea of how blocked the cave is, but wouldn't tell how many eggs are actually in the AP.

So, which do we really want to know? The bare number of eggs? Or how blocked the cave is?

Edit:

Actually come to think of it, "There are __ eggs in the AP. The cave gets blocked when there are over __ eggs in the AP." does actually answer both questions. It stats the total, and it states the "block point", so you can then determine how many eggs there are above the block point. Total - 'Block point' = Excess, blocking eggs.

Or we could flip the numbers for the same result: "There are __ eggs in the AP. __ eggs need to be picked up before the cave will unblock." Total - Excess = 'Block point'.

Edited by bbik

This has my total support, it is a neat idea and I often sit and watch the AP, wondering how many more eggs are there, which I can't see. Just for curiousities sake this would be awesome. Tough I also see the point of needing 2 numbers as apparently the blocking limit is not always the same (I didn't know that xd.png )

Or we could flip the numbers for the same result: "There are __ eggs in the AP. __ eggs need to be picked up before the cave will unblock." Total - Excess = 'Block point'.

I like this example a lot.

It would be good to know how many abandoned eggs are total in the AP, and at least a hint how many should be taken away, so the cave isn't blocked anymore.

And in case of new releases, holiday etc. I suggest that the "___ eggs need to be picked up" part should not appear then.

Ah, the mysterious workings of the DC Cave slowly unveil tongue.gif

Seriously, that's new info to me. It does indeed make this a bit more complicated than we thought at first.

For me, just a mention of 'X eggs need to be removed to gain access to the cave.' would be enough.

Though this might also have an adverse effect: I can imagine people just going away if it says '500 eggs need to be removed', where otherwise they might stick around hoping for the block to lift, and end up with a few hard-to-resist AP eggs or hatchies instead of the originally wanted cave egg.

I like the idea -- even if the knowledge isn't directly linked to knowing exactly when the cave will unblock. It would tell you whether it is useful/necessary to post a "limbo" link for a nice egg, for instance.

I knew that blocking occurs at different levels -- my gut feeling is that you have to get rid of a full "row" to unblock the cave, but I'm not sure what that relates to when the eggs are being added faster than taken away.

So that's why the cave sometimes seems to "bounce" open and closed after releases. Even if nothing else comes of this suggestion, I'm glad I learned that.

But I'm with Mpolo -- even if it doesn't tell me exactly how many eggs need to be removed to unblock the cave, I'd still like to know how many are left. After a release, it would be nice to at least know how close things are to getting back to normal, and whether we're moving in the right direction or not. And we would be able to tell how close we are to getting unblocked when there's *not* a new release, which is most of the time.

Edited by CoraxG

So that's why the cave sometimes seems to "bounce" open and closed after releases. Even if nothing else comes of this suggestion, I'm glad I learned that.

But I'm with Mpolo -- even if it doesn't tell me exactly how many eggs need to be removed to unblock the cave, I'd still like to know how many are left. After a release, it would be nice to at least know how close things are to getting back to normal, and whether we're moving in the right direction or not. And we would be able to tell how close we are to getting unblocked when there's *not* a new release, which is most of the time.

I agree, most of the time I'm just curious to know how many are in there... every time I go to the AP I'm always thinking... I wonder how many are actually here? I'd just be happy to know that little bit of info. :3