Sinsdaemn

Reasons behind the Names

I Don't really like naming dragons, because I don't have a good imagination, so either I incorporate the parents name in, or I just type something in and hope they are happy.

KnifeGuard was my first dragon. I thought the shield-like thing on its tail was a knife, so I named it that and hoped it turned male. It was female, but I loved it anyway.

ScrollKeeper is the keeper of my scroll, duh! xd.png

Holics and Looneys were after two cliques I had joined in school, while Soyabean and Doughstick being a song name of my idols'. DaLang was named becuase of her code being similar to that of the name of a Taiwanese show's male lead, and Baozhu being his girlfriend. Durians make up a lot of my Pygmy names.

Sometimes, when I'm sad or something, I put names like Hopeiscoming or something like that... smile.gif

For the CB dragons and their offspring on my scroll, I use this naming scheme:

They get a last name according to their breed (which is made by translating their breed name or a related word to Greek and then writing that phonetically).

Their first name starts with a letter according to their Gen (A for CB, B for 2nd gen, ...) and until now I've mostly taken the names from a site with lists of babynames, where I search for names of Greek origin.

(Can you imagine the look on my husband's face the first time he walked in to find me browsing through a site for baby names? Especially because I'm the one not wanting children... Was rather hard to explain I'd rather look for names for imaginary dragons tongue.gif)

If the Greek lists run out of names I'll probably go for Celtic or some other origin...

For the few dragons I have that are bred on other scrolls, I make up a name inspired by their parents' names. At the moment that's only my Yulebucks and my Snow Angel.

I like to pick a theme for each breed. For example, my Balloon dragons are noble gases, all in order, and my Ridgewings are peaks in the Colorado Rockies. Often I pick an animal or type of animal that resembles the breed and base names off of that, or get lazy and name after pigments and colors.

I do have some with stories, though. My Valentines '09 is Nova's Resolve because I'd given up on ever catching one, and when I did, her code was GvNP--Given Up?

My first two golds are Pride and Joy.

My Holly is In Dulci Jubilo. It's a Latin Christmas carol meaning In Sweet Rejoicing, which is pretty much my reaction to catching her.

@ Infinis

Lies, it's totally Kad University :'P

Curious, is Kristallnacht named only for the literal translation?

The word itself is the name for the Night of Broken Glass, a pogrom against the Jews perpetrated by Nazis in the late 1930s. If you already know this, please excuse :3

Oooo maybe I should change her name to that instead o.O

Named for the literal translation, although there is no way to get away from the other definition of it, and yes I did know that. (You're the second person to point out the other definition of her name, lol.)

If I'm at a loss for a breed-/something-inspired name, I'll combine the parents' names sometimes. I also like to keep lineage names, but I have a pair that produces almost-even 7th gens that have like 6 lineage/family lineage names, so I end up leaving names out. :< /sadness

@Jennabob: My holly is named Holly Jolly Gift because he was gifted to me. xd.png And it;s also Christmas-y. Like my other Christmas dragons' names. |D

I usually name my dragons in series.

For example, I usually have foour hatchlings and five eggs at a time. The four hatchlings would all be named something related, maybe all something in another language or all with a surname. Then the eggs, when they hatched, would be named according to something else, like characters in books or only vowels, etc.

One time, I did a particularly interesting series where the dragons were all named after abstract nouns. OUt of that I got a vamp named Desire, a Magi named Haught, and so on and so forth.

Well, that's how I name my dragons.

Chickens always get the funniest names,

'Chillin with my peeps'

'Row Row Fight Da Powah'

laugh.gif

Oh I name them after the parents or after what ever the dragcave log in securty check boxythingy produces as check words, if there are nice > like Unas Thitath - I have no Idea what it means - but I like the sound of it so I named a Horsedragon Unas Thitath. biggrin.gif

I even collect the words if I don't need a name and mix and match them.

My Chickens are by the Way named - The Dead Hen Walking, The Hen Once Known As Prince, The Hen Without A Name, The Hen On A Wire and The Last Hen Standing ....

All of my dragones names begins with either Lenxx or Lenxy, depending on if it is female or male.

Its parts of my own name, and the female/male kromosomes. smile.gif

And by now its become sort of my

The rest of the name depends on breed and linneage.

Simply, and still exclusive cool.gif

I dance around with names, but in general, if they belong to a specific naming branch, I keep the schemes. I have names of favorite songs(ex Bolero, Luisa's Bones, Orchard of Mines) names of favorite characters(ex Heart's Blood, Blood Brothers, Jax Callio, Nick Callio, Becca Sinclair, Thaila) names of original characters(ex Vexie Domede, Hayden, Pace Keifez, Ramor, Aiedaila, Adrya) names that I simply really like(ex Laciene, Jezzia) word names(ex Stars, Storm Delay) and mythological figures(ex Akraes and Aethera, Kluzo and Pontus, Krios Staramber).

Most of the rest are simply anograms for words which fit with their personalities or are their codes(ex Tesky, Orcva Chirng, Vexra Konc) words backward(ex Reed Gongge, Enac Ydnac, Arrevlisa(silver with 2 as and an r added.) The vast majority of those left behind are words in different language, often the language tells you what clan they belong in. Those with names based in good old latin are Elders. In Italian Nebbia. In most any other language, Ferox, rogue or rarely but it does happen, Creorluna.

Nice old jumble of names. I have no idea how I keep them all straight...

Some of my dragons' names are rather random, while others are inspired by quite a number of things that I like:

- favourite books/stories

- music I like

- TV-series or movies I watch

... etc.

Especially with the TV/film inspirations you'd have to be somewhat as obsessive as me to realize what I'm doing, I suspect wink.gif

Got a couple more with some special thought behind the names...

Stardust Girl was named after an absolutely wonderful (but very... very dark) bit of Doctor Who fanfiction. I had considered doing something birthday related (the egg was laid on my birthday biggrin.gif), but with the code and breed, I decided naming it after a beautiful but dark as hell bit of writing fit.

A Rose for Juliette is simply named after my best friend. smile.gif

Edited by Dr. Paine

The naming of my dragons is very important to me. It's second only to the snagging of eggs, to me, therefore I do not keep AP eggs with a lineage full of code-only parents. I like puns (Plantagenet Dorkface for a Vine) and word-play (Get The Point, Clovis? is one of my Stones); I'll use current pop fads (Your Moment of Zen; Joel McShale, and He's Called The Stig), or go completely random Barking Marshmallows). Naming is tons of fun for me!!

I have a lot of special names for mine. All my Trios are named after gods and goddesses (of fire, thundder/lightning and ice), for example. My GoN is named after the supreme god in Finnish mythology.

The name with the best story behind it is Clingy Angelica. Back when CB stripes were common, I had caught this egg and raised it hoping for a male. She, of course, gendered female. So, I tried to abandon her, and I got the message "You try to leash the hatchling to a tree trunk outside a nearby cave, but it chews through the rope and begins to follow you," which was about the most adorable thing ever. Since she was just so attached to me, I named her Clingy Angelica. :3

Edited by AngelKitty

When my grandmother was a little girl, she came over from Germany with her brothers and my great grandparents to escape the World War. To try to blend in to American culture, they stopped speaking German, and chose "English" names. She chose the name "Rose."

The new Valentine's Day dragons remind me of her, so I named them after her.

Asta Rose - Her German and American names

Rosa Kostbare - "Kostbare" is German for "Precious one"

Edited by SolarCat

My names sound ridiculous unless you're me. Some have warrior names, some have words in Greek or Latvian. My first ones have the most creative names, because that was back when I first started. Others are totally random, but they're still names. The only real exception is TJ ATE YOU, because his code is Tj8u. I really like their names, and I remember what most mean.

My first two dragons, Hydrometeusarkosa and Ampelos-Meteusarkosa, and have the longest names on my scroll are the most special. Of course, at first, when I was a newbie, I had no idea how many clicks and views they would need. I found an ER, and managed to save two of my first four eggs and a hatchling I had gotten of the AP before then. However, my first two died. They were a vine and a water. Later, I got two new eggs, of the same breeds as before. The water was CB like before, and the vine had a long, messy lineage like the other. I was thinking of names, so I put 'reincarnation' into google translate, wanting to see what it was in greek. I got a bunch of greek letters. I had no idea you could hit the 'show romanization' button, so I went on wikipedia, found a list of the letters, and translated te whole word to get meteusarkosa. I then translated vine into ampelos the same way, and I already knew hydro. So, that's why they have the longest, most unpronouncable names on dragon cave!

I name mine after Pokemon/other video game characters/roleplay characters often~ I pride myself on how many Pokemon names I got tongue.gif

Plus random code-related stuff xd.png

I tend to choose mythological names for my dragons, or I name them after code. Sometimes, when I can't think up an epic name, I'll just make up a silly one. A lot of times, I'll think up a name that isn't very original but sounds pretty and is therefore taken, so I'll change the language and I end up mixing and matching languages to form the names that I want.

Since a great many of my dragons are caveborn, I usually name them after some breed attribute + the Rama surname. Reds are given names pertaining to fire and flame-related things, Purples are given plays with the word purple, add in a different language and there's even more room. For some reason, particularly shiny dragons (my Sunsongs and Tasseltails in particular) have gotten names out of the Dragaera book series. I'm not sure why I named my Sunsongs from the House of the Dragon, when they're obviously Jhereg, or why some Jhegaala incarnations jumped out at me at the sight of adult tassels (probably one having a code that read as Levidopt had a lot to do with it).

If they're AP catches, then I usually mix and match with parental names and my theme naming, sometimes I switch into other languages to pull it off too. My newest black is a prime example: Rama Bunbu Kenbi D'Alsea. I pulled the "Book" and "D'Alsea" themes from the parent names, and added it to the warrior attribute of black dragons, and got (translated) "Rama Skilled in Wielding Both the Sword and the Pen D'Alsea". Much more compact in transcribed Romanji, methinks.

I mostly name my dragons by my friends wub.gif, maybe even favourite songs, movies, and celebrities, combined with adjectives or suffixes.

Sometimes, I give dragons names based on moments that made my life beautiful.

Look at her, for instance: http://dragcave.net/lineage/qk6D

I named her this way because that was the day I met my favourite band, fell in love, saw them perform in my city, met a lot of my online friends, and had a fantastic time. <3

And her dad is, of course, the manager of that favourite band of mine. wub.gif

Also, I give some dragons mythological names, abstract ones as well... depends on the breed, mostly.

Edited by *Silver Fox*

A bunch of my dragons are named after people or events in my life. I can tell how my scroll has progressed over the past two years (it's date-sorted) because of the dragons who are named after certain things that happened. I have a chunk of dragons named after my middle school teachers, a chunk named after my favorite band, a chunk named after my camp friends, etc.

I name dragons in multiple ways. I'll either name them after a character or a reference to a character, or work their code into a name if it's got a nice one, or I'll try to follow the naming conventions of its parents if its a bred egg. I haven't had a chance to name any dragons after my own characters. Yet.

I do try to avoid joke names, though I may make an exception for a chicken or something in the future.