Sinsdaemn

Reasons behind the Names

Wow, this is an interesting topic. I put a lot of thought into dragon names.

1) Usually I read the adult dragon characteristics and then google baby names that match either color/or characteristics.

Purpureo Mizzenfin -means Purple backfin and is a Purple Dorsal/Ailan Bacchus -means pale~clear and noisy and he is an albino.

2) Or sense I'm a big mythology/literature fan I may use a character name.

I have a male vamp named Asher Auberon. Asher is a character from the Anita Blake Vampire Hunter Novels and Auberon means of the night. I also have a split named Jekyll & Hyde Nevermore for: a. Jekyll & Hyde and b. Edgar Allen Poe.

3) Sometimes the origin of the name is from a different language.

I have a pygmy named Mon Petite Ange. Which means My little Angel in French and influenced by the Anita Blake novels.

And this Valentine's day Rose dragon I named Parisse Rosealani. French & Italian for Paris Rose.

Lastly, if I see a pattern intentional or not, I keep it. I have a white stripe descended from dragons with Anmar in their name so I did a google search for Anmar and then added Daniyah.

I name mine on code, or if I want to try a name, or if I am holing a name, like I did with O lulz, my silver with the code olul (Something like that)

CJ's Blue Thorn was named after my eight year old stepbrother, CJ. It made him very happy. I had to print off the dragon's page to show him. xd.png

The General Electric was named after a song and album, by Shihad. She's an electric dragon.

Hehe, I'm so funny. xP

A lot of mine are named after my favorite characters from my favorite movies. I just love getting unaltered character names. For example, I've got the unaltered names of over half the characters, and flora and fauna, from the movie Avatar. I've also got many unaltered Lord of the Rings characters names. I've also got a handful of character names from The Chronicles of Riddick, and various Marvel titles.

As for my Hellfires and Sunsongs (I've got over 90 of them now combined), I use Elvish names for them.

I've also got a nice little deep sea Na'vi family growing on my scroll.

Then, finally, I've got my grays and magmas, which I give human first and last names, with an army or marine rank as a suffix. I also often use some of my favorite characters to influence the names. For example, I've got a Colonel Miles Quaritch (Avatar), a Private Adrian Caparzo (Saving Private Ryan), and a Captain Shane Wolfe (The Pacifier).

Stargate, Star Trek and Pirates have been sources for some of my names, but I also have a lot of music and musicians in my dragon's names, and ALL of my dragons are named. I also look at the lineage of an egg and try to pull family names forward in my own way. Sometimes a name may not reference a parent, but a great-grand parent with an interesting name. Once in a while, I use the code to create a name, but it's usually mixed with one or several other factors.

I have a number of different sources for my dragon names. For example, my splits are all named after binary star systems, and my nebulas all have names based on space-related terms. My stripes have a very particular theme going, too- the first egg I get (whether CB or off the abandon page) gets a name created based on its code. Then any other colors I breed from it have the second half of the first stripe's name, with a prefix in front depending on the color. ("roj" for red, "ver" for green, and "az" for blue) I've rather liked how their names came out using this theme. happy.gif

I also sometimes name dragons after characters/places/things/etc from books/games/anime and so on that I like, or words from foreign languages or puns. For example, one of my autumn seasonals is named "Londonbridge". Why? Because London Bridge is fall(ing down). ;p

Oh, though one of my all time favorite dragon names is one of my white dragons. Which is named Gazebo. Because white gazebos are terrifying things indeed. ninja.gif

When I named my first draggy, my heart got broke so most of my draggys will have "LOVE" or "Loved" OR "HEART" =[

Many of my dragons' names are inspired by Greek mythology. Some were named directly after gods and goddesses, and others were named after creatures or had misspelled names of gods/goddesses.

My dragons are named in two segments - the first name (which is there just to keep the naming scheme viable practically forever) and a two-word title, in the following format:

<Name> the <Something> <Something>

The title itself either hints at the story I have for the dragon, or is a generic appearance or behavior related descriptor. I need to come up with a new batch of titles since a lot of my poor dragons are unnamed still. sad.gif

My dragons all have latin words for names. I try to find a word that matches the dragon description and sounds neat as well.

The trend I seem to be following with my dragons, is to have a different naming trend for each species. Most of them, I only try to have two adults - one male, one female - and then breed those two together to get three hatchlings - one male, one female, one ungendered. Usually the trends are based on something about the species: all my CB Red dragons are named after chili pepper types, and all my CB New Pink dragons are named after ballet moves, for example. Other species' trends started with something I named the first one... like my CB Whites. The first one I got, I named after a Celtic Astrology symbol that had to do with Whitewood (Huath), but that's also the name of one of the runes in the Ogham alphabet, so my other CB whites are getting Ogham rune names as well.

Sometimes if I can't think of anything, I'll get silly, especially if it's a species I don't take seriously and won't be making a huge collection/army of. I have a Water Walker female named "Am I The Second Coming" (referencing Jesus walking on water); and a Purple named "One Eyed One Horned Flying", who will get an appropriate description when full-grown rolleyes.gif .

I tend to name dragons what I'm thinking at the moment... For instance, a lot my dragons have Final Fantasy themed names because that's what I'm into at the moment x3 I also name dragons after thier parents.

Using my 50+ Magi as an example, they all have the last name "Freeman" (with the exception of the three that are named after the original three Agents from the Matrix).

Their first names are of people i'm familiar with, names I'm fond of, stuff like that. My first couple of Magi were named after the creators/characters of different Valve machinima "Mind" series that i'm quite a fan of, though.

As for my non-magi, eh. It's kinda random, no specific theme.

hmmmm.

if I was gifted a dragon or if the egg is from the AP I always try to name it after parents.

if parents are unnamed or if it's a CB, I give a random name that to my mind suits the baby. it may be as somehow descriptive of a breed (Morning Sun from Ksew's Farm for a Sunrise) or just a name (Limpopo from Ksew's Farm for a Split - can't explain it but yes, I think it mathes its owner). some names are connected with the history of the dragons, for example Devoted Pet from Ksew's Farm was a hatchie I wanted to trade but when abandoning it chewed the rope every time, so in the end I had to keep it.

sometimes I also name dragons in honour of my friends (Medic from Ksew's Farm, Psycho from Ksew's Farm. Seryoja from Ksew's Farm), if I think the dragons somehow look like them.

the same with some celebrities and books/movie heroes. I have Kate Austen from Ksew's Farm, Brian Molko from Ksew's Farm and Albus from Ksew's Farm (that is Dumbledore of course biggrin.gif ).

sometimes when the code is good (or when it actually isn't good, but I love it) I name them according to it. for example - Typos Ewus from Ksew's Farm (TPEW), Byab from Ksew's Farm (bYAb), TJ ViP from Ksew's Farm (TJVP), TJ's Girlfriend from Ksew's Farm (hTJr).

and the most beautiful females (of my favourite breeds) are named in honour of... me! xd.png such as Royal Blood Ksew, Hopeful Ksew and Dreamy Ksew.

I name my dragons whatever I think is funniest or most interesting to me at the time.

For this reason, there is very little rhyme or reason to my scroll names, but it makes me happy whenever I go to visit them, so...

Also, it helps with describing:

For instance, I find it easier to describe a dragon named "Bmqr the Mispronounced" than say "Pink's Dull Rose", "FR Nazinza Matsuma" or something else like that.

It just inspires my craziness much more and gets those creative juices flowing.

tongue.gif

Edited by Pink

For eggs with a lineage I try to incorporate the parent's name into the offspring. The only exception is with my vine hatchling due to it having the code "Rbit". I named it Hylia Cinerea, which is a slight butchering of the scientific name for a Tree Frog. smile.gif

For my CB dragons I just look stuff up until I find something I like, or string together letters until I get something I like.

I take a fairly random approach to naming my dragons. Some I named after my original characters and others I just imagine names for. An example is my sweetling dragon; I named him Mew-Too Ted Dorkface because he's a Dorkface dragon. If you say the name fast enough it sort of sounds like "Mutated Dorkface". (Also I think that sprite looks like the pokémon Mewtoo) My Whiptail dragon is named Swifty McBean. My boyfriend and I always joke that one day we'd like to have an old butler and we've decided that we'd call him Swifty McBean regardless of his actual name. I simply thought that name was perfect seeing as how Whiptail dragons are fast.

My dragons have names related to them.

For example, my rosebuds are "Valentine's day rosebud" and "Rosebud dragon".

Very often, the dragon species is in its name.

But sometimes, I don't know why I named my dragons like this. I named my CB Frill "Personal Security". No idea why, but I like it.

Oh man, naming all my babies is the best part of DC. biggrin.gif

I used to name mine according to their different characteristics, but using other languages, so I had names like Sehijau Daun(Leaf-Green), Mawar Derita(Rose of Suffering) and Kecubung Mulia(Noble Amethyst). And some of them had their names influenced by friends, like Tarian Andalusia(Andalusian Dance) and Venla Samudera(Ocean Villian.)

But now I'm just lazy, so I incorporate the parents' names for bred offspring, like Twenty Eleven Shiraz and Electric Acid Martini, or something fun and/or silly, like Bluefin Not Tuna.

Project babies have a different naming system, though. All my Cave Plumber Project babies have a suffix and a descriptive noun/verb/something, so I've had CBCP Overwatch for a Guardian, CBCP Goldenrod for an Orchredrake, and CBCP Watermark for a Water dragon hatchling.

Special names for some:

Vamps are all after characters in my Carpathian novels.

Holiday ones are song titles/lines if possible.

I try to give a nod to the person's name in a gifted egg.

The most poignant name I have is a Frilled called Laboonite. La for Laura, who showed a lovely young collie named Boo until his tragic untimely death, and as it was just as the Frills were being retired, it was goodnight to both.

I tend to name dragons what I'm thinking at the moment... For instance, a lot my dragons have Final Fantasy themed names because that's what I'm into at the moment x3 I also name dragons after thier parents.

I do that, too. My dragons' names show my (current) affinities - books, movies, tv-shows, music and such.

My Blunas are named in Na'Vi. My Hellfires are either names after Doctor Who/Torchwood or they get a fire-themed name. The Vampires are named after characters of Vampire novels or something similar. The female Mints are named after Pippi Longstocking. I usually let myself inspire after the dragon sprite.

When I was gifted a dragon I name it after the parents. smile.gif

Edited by Felischia

I do have a theme going on my white, black and vine dragons. Vine Dragons have "Tanglewood" in their name (after a spot in western Mass. where the symphony plays each summer) so it's "Tanglewood Gracie" etc. Tanglewood seemed a perfect surname for all my vines (my surnames are placed first for my dragons). Almost self-explanatory were my white healer dragons earning the surname Seraphim (after the bibical listing of angel level in several cultures). My black's then earned the surname "Infernal" and all their secondary names are from demonic names from all cultures/religions. I don't think I'm apt to run out of those and, just as well, because my true love are (besides vamps) my blacks.

Edited by Misha

When I first started, one thing I took note of right away was that names needed to be unique. So, while in the early days of Dragon Cave, people gave all kinds of cute and clever names to their dragons, I was worried that it would be difficult to find such names that had not been used, and I might also be interfering with other users who would be planning to use a certain name because it fit in with other names in a given dragon's lineage.

So I used made-up names, but with a system: the names of the same kind of dragon would begin and end the same way. Thus, my black dragons have names like Ru'goahal, Ro'moahal, and Ru'zanahal; my Magi dragons have names like Orzoruza, Ortumeza and Onturjala.

I made an exception to that, though, first for my water dragons, and then for my holiday dragons. Because my first few water dragons were from famous lineages, there was enough to make them unique; so they have names like Dreadnaught DF Fawnhills Moon SD or Indefatigable DF ka'Cadz.

DF stands, of course, for Dorkface. Less-famous lineages are also acknowledged, when I have room.

Indefatigable DF ka'Cadz has, among its ancestors, Cadz's Foggy and Cadz's Medea. The name met my criteria for treating a dragon surname as a lineage name: those were the names of the two parents of a dragon (LWF Chalcedony) in my dragon's lineage. However, calling my dragon Cadz's Indefatigable DF would imply that it was on Cadz's scroll, I felt. So I came up with the ka' prefix to indicate descent from as distinct from possession.

And then I became aware of the value of even-gen dragons. And the rename feature came along.

So I apply the name Velox to my even-gen dragons, my uncommon CB dragons, and other dragons needing more distinctive names (e.g. holiday dragons, so that I can follow convention and name, for example, one of my ribbon dragons Merry Celebration Velox).

Recently, I added codes to those names to make it easier for me to find the right dragons for breeding.

Thus, Nebulon Philippe 2p Velox is a 2nd-generation even-gen (the daughter of two CB dragons); and as they were both Nebula dragons, the code is 2p.

Ganjandrum ka'Krakatoa 4e Velox has only Red and Magma dragons in its ancestry, and Astoria 2e Velox only White and Gold dragons, so the codes both end in e (for "Enhanced") - the lineage includes a rare dragon type, and the non-rare conventionally bred with it as a substitute for having a purebred lineage. I used the code suffix f for a Magi/Gold lineage to indicate an alternate plausible convention.

Orthonozala 2r Velox only has Magi and Water dragons in its lineage - the dragons that have to be mixed to get a Shallow Water dragon, and similarly, Baltuza Sunglow 2r Velox has only Stone and Green dragons in its lineage (although mixture is not strictly necessary to get a Geode).

So I thought I would share my naming conventions as an example of using names to keep one's scroll organized.

I started off naming all my dragons in Welsh (like "TywylHaul" = "Dark Sun," etc) because it sounds awesome and it's also a pretty rarely-used language, so I don't run into those dreaded "The ink disappears from the page" messages too often. However, that actually takes effort and thought, so these days I've been resorting to song and poem lyrics, especially for my trios...My personal favorite is "I Didn't Start the Fire." xd.png Oh, and all my golds' names are in Egyptian. I did it for one and I liked it, so I stuck with it. :B

Edited by TheAntimonyElement