Sinsdaemn

Reasons behind the Names

The majority of my dragon names are likely from a name generator. I primarily use the surname Australis, though I have a few others I will use.

Some notable exceptions:

Shimmers are characters from the world of the Malazan Book of the Fallen, primarily the dragons or the Tiste Andii.

Vampires are names or phrases from the Malazan Book of the Fallen, often T'lan Imass Bonecasters, essentially the shamans of a race of undead.

With vines, their first name is part of a scientific name for a plant, though I will still use the surname Australis. Occasionally this makes the full scientific name of a plant.

All of my dragons are related to their type or something in their description. I google a word (as such, the word vampire for a Vampire dragon) and go to that Wikipedia page. Then I search for a word on it that describes or compliments the original word (in this case, the word was "corporeal"). Then I either misspell or add something that puts extra meaning to the name either at the beginning or at the end (Corporealud: a combination of "corporeal" and "undead"). And that's my system, unless I have a special name already thought up. c:

Most of my dragons' name are based on their code, but sometimes I got egg from AP, It would be base on their parent's family name.

All of my dragons are related to their type or something in their description. I google a word (as such, the word vampire for a Vampire dragon) and go to that Wikipedia page. Then I search for a word on it that describes or compliments the original word (in this case, the word was "corporeal"). Then I either misspell or add something that puts extra meaning to the name either at the beginning or at the end (Corporealud: a combination of "corporeal" and "undead"). And that's my system, unless I have a special name already thought up. c:

That's almost the same method I use when I name my dragons smile.gif .

I look at their names, description and how they look. For example I have a Daydream dragon called Anan what means "cloud" in Hebrew. Or a Black Tea dragon called Esesence derived from the word "essence".

Sometimes I make a combination of two words, but not often. I use Google, Wikipedia and a site called Behind the Name for resource.

(Sorry for my bad english)

Stargate, Star Trek and Pirates have been sources for some of my names, but I also have a lot of music and musicians in my dragon's names, and ALL of my dragons are named.  I also look at the lineage of an egg and try to pull family names forward in my own way.  Sometimes a name may not reference a parent, but a great-grand parent with an interesting name.  Once in a while, I use the code to create a name, but it's usually mixed with one or several other factors.

Just thought I'd bring this thread back because it was a lot of fun. I do have about 130-some unnamed at the moment, but that does include eggs, hatchlings and my Code Talkers,along with a handful waiting to be named. There are over 4700 named, so the 130 doesn't bother me.

Sci-Fi, music, movies and art are still influences, and there are many from literature, science, history and my own weird imagination. And yes, Wikipedia is my friend, too! laugh.gif

I am a random namer although I will go back and look at a lineage and sometimes try and incorporate an ancestor name from time to time!

i lost all my names at one point so i had to go through and rename everything so currently what i do is name them by their lineage. might not be pretty but avoids breeding mistakes xd.png

I name CB dragons based on their code most of the time. Even if the code is a jumble of nonsense and numbers, I manage to turn it into a decent name.

Lineaged dragons get names based on their parents' names/the types of dragons in their lineage.

Each breed I own has its own clan name. Every clan name is based on something, whether it's the breed name or a word or two that I believe is appropriate for the breed. Sometimes I go outside of the clan name, especially for dragons I pick up in the AP with named parents, but usually I'll add the clan name after its first name. The first names are generally based on the codes of the dragons because I don't always feel like looking up names for something unique. tongue.gif

Every single one of my 1100+ Adult dragons is named. biggrin.gif

I started off with a Norse naming scheming as I was majorly obsessed with Norse Mythology (It's all Loki's fault) when I signed up. biggrin.gif

I had a naming scheme for if they were CB or AP/Outblood.

Caveborn Dragons had "of Asgard" added to their names. AP/Outblood dragons had "of Jotunheim" if they were male and "of Vanaheim" if they were female.

I don't know why I didn't have a different one for male and female CBs I just decided to do it that way and I can't remember why. rolleyes.gif

I chose Jotunheim and Vanaheim because Loki is from Jotunheim and one of his wives, (according to the Prose Edda he has three; not sure if he's a lucky boy or in very hot water. tongue.gif ) Sigyn is from Vanaheim.

So three of them were:

Askr of Asgard (Fun fact: He's my first dragon ever. smile.gif )

Loptr of Jotunheim (Fun fact: Loptr is an alternate form of Loki becuase "Loki of Jotunheim" was already taken.)

Sigyn of Vanaheim (Fun fact: I zombified Sigyn because her lineage is cool and her babies with Loptr were really messy so it removed temptation!)

My Dragons children have their own first names and then surnames made from their parents names because Asgardian culture uses patrynomics. So my dragons childrens names are patrynomics and matrynomics for example:

Hilda Ilianadottir is Iliana's daughter and Thor Isarrson is Isarr's son. smile.gif

Then there are my Vampires. They all have a name, a surname and "of Niflheim" because Niflheim is the land of the dead (or in this case the undead). biggrin.gif

So CB Dragons were named things like Vanja Draugr of Niflheim

Dragons with lineages used the parent name theme with "of Niflheim" tacked on. For example: Iofridr Folkadottir of Niflheim.

There was a surname for AP/Outblood dragons but it never got used because I never bit any.

My Trios are all "of Asgardian Legend" regardless of lineage because they are supposed to be legends.

Then I ran out of Norse names that I liked and switched to Elvish with the same idea. See my scroll. xd.png

Sansa is so named because her code was meant to be Sansa, but because I was so excited and dazed that I got her that, while I typed in her code, I selected the wrong option and she got a random code, so I had to name her Sansa. Consequently her Mates and Offsprings mates have ASOIAF themed names.

Other dragons have clan names for breeding projects for example my Fiendfyres (clan name chosen because Reds breathe fire and Harry Potter is great). smile.gif

Then there are dragons with random names just because.

Yes I am a massive nerd/geek/dork. biggrin.gif

Edited by Cireth

I name mostly of my dragons after their code,but I always look at the lineage in order to see if there's a naming pattern and if there is one,I continue it.

Most of the named ones are randomly (reclaimed) names I had before my hiatus. The new ones are based on their breed name. Except for Carrier of the Black Plague...she's my fever Wyvern...I am planning on getting a lot of them and naming them after epidemics and diseases.

Meh. Haven't had time to name my dragons. Maybe later. References to games/books/movies/shows//memes, etc., unamed if a cool code (word-code), or if lineaged, based on the parent's names.

I first personalities Then weird words form in my head that kind of symbolize who they are and what they mean!