twin card

Which came first egg or chicken?

A circle has no beginning or end

Yes it does, otherwise how does it come to be?

Really, seriously? It's obvious the chicken came before the egg! Any dictionary will tell you that!

One a similar note, ignore the people who say chickens are birds and therefore evolved from dinosaurs. Again, it's obvious the chicken came before the dinosaurs. rolleyes.gif

I think...egg...

If anything, because I don't believe life-forms as complex as chickens just, poof, suddenly appeared and started laying eggs. I'm not saying that a complex chicken egg just went poof and existed either...

I also agree with what's been said, whatever laid the first chicken egg probably wasn't even a chicken itself. But I dunno. I'm just...gonna leave now~

AsapSCIENCE tackled this one... watch and see what you think:

My opinion:

Creatures similar to chickens but not quite chickens evolved from dinosaurs. Creatures existed for some time before times called for a change. The surviving creatures laid eggs that would hatch to become chickens. So...

Near chicken (But not really a chicken)-> Egg of a chicken->Chicken

So the egg came before the chicken and then hatched into a chicken.

Egg.

Because 1. I don't believe in creationism and 2. if it didn't come from an egg, it's not a chicken.

Chicken.

A retired scientist had travelled to the past (to dinosaurs age) and made an experiment with very different genes. This brave scientist was attempting to create another breed of a terrifying giant animal as he thought he could do so after studying hard for nearly 30 years.

So he's tried to mix pterosaur, pterodactyl and other bizarre animals' genes (of all habitats). It was going alright, until an accident occurred. The scientist had mistaken two genes so he's applied the wrong ones to the mother dinosaur's skin. She gave birth to a fully grown chicken, the first chicken ever. The scientist liked the idea and decided to try to breed more chickens... and with the help of the time travel magic, nowadays, these creatures are still present in our lives. Unfortunately, this scientist's deceased, otherwise, he'd have bred more interesting and cute animal species out there.

Edit: This is one of the many mysteries of life. It confounds me. :3

Edited by Slytherin7

The chicken had to come first, regardless of religion. Or else thete would be no chickens.

The chicken had to come first, regardless of religion. Or else thete would be no chickens.

But how did the chicken come into existence? =p

It evolved. Lol....

It evolved. Lol....

But by those standards the egg came first. Evolution doesn't happen through species undergoing random mutations in their adult stages. XD

I believe that the chicken came first, but neither of them can just appear, but as I am a catholic I believe that the chicken came first???

Very confusing.

Though you may find this scientific conclusion helpful:

"In nature, living things evolve through changes in their DNA. In an animal like a chicken, DNA from a male sperm cell and a female ovum meet and combine to form a zygote -- the first cell of a new baby chicken. This first cell divides innumerable times to form all of the cells of the complete animal. In any animal, every cell contains exactly the same DNA, and that DNA comes from the zygote.

Chickens evolved from non-chickens through small changes caused by the mixing of male and female DNA or by mutations to the DNA that produced the zygote. These changes and mutations only have an effect at the point where a new zygote is created. That is, two non-chickens mated and the DNA in their new zygote contained the mutation(s) that produced the first true chicken. That one zygote cell divided to produce the first true chicken.

Prior to that first true chicken zygote, there were only non-chickens. The zygote cell is the only place where DNA mutations could produce a new animal, and the zygote cell is housed in the chicken's egg. So, the egg must have come first."

Edited by JellyBall

But by those standards the egg came first. Evolution doesn't happen through species undergoing random mutations in their adult stages. XD

Ah, but how do you know the chicken isn't some advanced alien being that came to this planet millions of years ago, just to check us out, see, and disguised itself in a form that was small but fast, and then when it left, it figured, what the heck, and left the chicken form behind??

Incidentally, I think it's funny that some people won't eat eggs, saying they are baby animals, when no, they are not. Hens will lay eggs without being fertilized, and most eggs on the market are just that, unfertilized hen only eggs. So it never would have become a chicken if left alone, might as well eat it for the protein. Just a interesting little factoid.

Honesty....I was driving my parents crazy when I was 6 to ask them who was first on earth and if God was there first from where came God etc...

I can remember that very cleary that it broke my imagination borders, I just couldn't figure out the solution rolleyes.gif

I am still searching but not caring so much as I did when I was little smile.gif

Honesty....I was driving my parents crazy when I was 6 to ask them who was first on earth and if God was there first from where came God etc...

I can remember that very cleary that it broke my imagination borders, I just couldn't figure out the solution rolleyes.gif

I am still searching but not caring so much as I did when I was little smile.gif

I don't think these kinds of questions can be answered for a lifetime.

Chicken. :3

There was a lonely chicken out in this world. As it did not want to stay only anymore, it decided eggs shall be made which hold mini chickens inside. wink.gif

Perfect reason, right? ^.~

I think egg o-o but the thing inside it was...someway....mutated thing that became chicken :'D

Chicken. At least, that is my opinion.

Somewhere in the evolution line, something evolved into a chicken, and then the chicken adapted to laying eggs... Or at least, the creatures before it adapted to laying eggs.

Something has to MAKE an egg. Eggs don't just exist. They come from a living thing as a means of reproduction. Eggs are an adaptation I think? So...

*Brain explodes*

Edited by Lyxii

Chicken. At least, that is my opinion.

Somewhere in the evolution line, something evolved into a chicken, and then the chicken adapted to laying eggs... Or at least, the creatures before it adapted to laying eggs.

Something has to MAKE an egg. Eggs don't just exist. They come from a living thing as a means of reproduction. Eggs are an adaptation I think? So...

*Brain explodes*

It is way more complicated to evolve multiple methods of reproduction than to suddenly switch to egg-laying.

Also, if you really want to look at this question evolutionarily, the answer is egg. A creature that was very close to being a chicken but not quite laid an egg, and that hatched into a chicken.