twin card

Which came first egg or chicken?

Its simple look at dragoncave, how do you get an chicken? You steal the egg and then have a chicken on your page!

But for more advance science: Evolution

To change a creature it has to breed and pass down its genes to the next one, but those genes can and will change the body depending of the situation the spiecies is facing. Big dinosaurs get smaller cause the oxygen in the air got fewer (and a giant meteor said hello and crashed tha party), humans lost hair cause they started to wear fur of other creatures (those nasty thieves!) and even eggs got smaller cause the Mom couldnt handle such a big thing.

So, before all changes is always the next generation which means the egg came first.

A chicken can only hatch from a chicken egg. A chicken egg can be laid by whatever not-quite-chicken was around before it evolved into our existing chicken. So, the Chicken egg came first.

It's basic evolution ;)

"Assuming chicken were the first animal able to lay eggs"...

Well, that is simple. The answer is in the question. The chicken would have to come first if there was nothing to lay the egg.

Edited by Nyxity

On 12/5/2017 at 4:25 PM, Nyxity said:

"Assuming chicken were the first animal able to lay eggs"...

Well, that is simple. The answer is in the question. The chicken would have to come first if there was nothing to lay the egg.

But in that case, where did the chicken laying the first egg come from?

It's true that there have been extremely rare cases of chickens giving birth to live chicks, but even in those cases, it happened because the egg was fertilized while still inside the hen, so there was still an egg involved.

True, but then you get into the question of the miracle of birth. Even with eggs that are not laid, they are still produced by an adult body. Humans produce eggs, but we don't lay them. How do eggs and sperm come to be inside adult creatures? Is as a physical vessel with the right components necessary then? 

If chickens were the first animals able to lay eggs, I can only assume the first chicken was born live from... whichever animal the chicken evolved from (I think domestic chickens are descended from red jungle fowl, which I guess give live birth in this scenario). Therefore, the chicken came first. Alternatively, if you want to take the creationist route, I'd assume God created full-grown chickens with the ability to lay eggs, so the chicken still came first.

I'd come up with a more realistic theory, but realism is kind of tricky under these circumstances ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The answer is quite simple really children. Neither came before the other. They were both whimmed into existence by a bored Nyralathotep.

I think I'll answer this with another question: does it really matter?

IF you use the theory that the first chicken was hatched from an egg that was laid by a non-chicken, the problem is that how do you know the chicken was a chicken before it hatched?

ie) what's more important... the genetics of the animal and thus inherent "chicken-ness" or the apparent and observable "chicken" that hatched from what seemed to be a non-chicken egg?

And if you want to get more specific ie: confusing...   if the first CHICKEN had no other chickens to breed with, it would have had to breed with a non-chicken.  Since one definition of a species is animals which are able to interbreed and produce fertile offspring...  then...  technically....  you didn't have a true CHICKEN until you had a population of CHICKENS which were unable to breed successfully with NONCHICKENS.

...head hurts...

The chicken came first in this case, because if chickens were the first animals capable of laying eggs; than they would have been live-born (in the same way that mammal offspring are). Evolution still comes into play as a result, since the first chicken would have been considered a mutant by the proto-chickens, since it would have been capable of laying eggs while the proto-chickens would not have been.

I always assumed that the chicken came first because an organism is capable of having something very different than itself.

For example, the first animal that would have been considered a "chicken," would have had to come from a clutch of siblings that were nothing like it or at least different enough. The egg it was in was not a chicken egg; rather, it was the egg of the species that came before it. However, if an animal bred true, then the eggs coming from the chicken would be chicken eggs.

(Woah this was last Splatfest's theme on Splatoon2)

I'd say the egg came first. 2 birds that weren't really chickens created a chicken egg, so the egg came first, and then it hatched a chicken.

I'm on the egg boat. Egg came first, because chickens weren't always around. Whatever came before the chicken laid the eggs which eventually led to actual chickens.

Egg. 

Because the mutated/evolved specimen that would eventually become the chicken would have to be hatched first and that would be the new species though, generally, these mutations come through the next generation (the egg) and not the parents.

As Luna Lovegood answered the question," Which came first, the Phoenix or the flame," a circle has no beginning.