Crisis

American Politics

Some American's don't even realize there are more than two parties though. They don't realize there are more than two options. If anything this should help awaken society *Crosses fingers*

Perot and Nader were pretty major third party candidates in the last 20 years (some claiming they were election deciders). I think that a lot of people know about third parties, they just tend to assume they're rather extremist. I think that, in that respect, getting more exposure would be good simply because I think that people would see that they aren't a bunch of wackos and that there's room for more parties that partially overlap the current ones.

Having said that, I have serious doubts about a true Libertarian ever elected for President in the foreseeable future. I think that too many people like the convenience and, what they see as, security of government (which is the line the Republicans are trying to delicately walk). I do believe that lots of people might like less of it, but I don't think it's to the extent that would get enough support to carry the whole country.

Of course, I'm completely wrong a large percentage of the time, so I definitely think more parties should have their chance to present their case on a larger stage. And I do think that would help them pick up more votes in Congress and the states, if nothing else.

Charlie Faqua, Arkansas Legislative Candidate, Endorses Death Penalty For Rebellious Children

In my view this guy should NOT be in politics if he is pushing for something as horrible as this. I get it if they went out and murdered for no reason they should be tried as an adult for it but just because they wont listen? How screwed up is this.

It's always odd to me that in a religion called Christianity, extremists rarely ever focus on Jesus.

Charlie Faqua, Arkansas Legislative Candidate, Endorses Death Penalty For Rebellious Children

In my view this guy should NOT be in politics if he is pushing for something as horrible as this. I get it if they went out and murdered for no reason they should be tried as an adult for it but just because they wont listen? How screwed up is this.

This guy is so backwards, it's not even funny! What era did he come from? The Middle Ages? You can't blame the Muslims as a whole just because of the actions from the terrorists. And you can't punish children this severely like that! Fear DOES NOT earn respect; it only pushes people further away.

And lastly, where did he get the idea that liberals wanted to "take over the world through violent, bloody revolution"? I'm pretty sure not all liberals are like that. Even I'm a liberal and I don't want blood to be spilled for my beliefs. Can somebody give me evidence why he thinks that?

This guy is so backwards, it's not even funny! What era did he come from? The Middle Ages? You can't blame the Muslims as a whole just because of the actions from the terrorists. And you can't punish children this severely like that! Fear DOES NOT earn respect; it only pushes people further away.

And lastly, where did he get the idea that liberals wanted to "take over the world through violent, bloody revolution"? I'm pretty sure not all liberals are like that. Even I'm a liberal and I don't want blood to be spilled for my beliefs. Can somebody give me evidence why he thinks that?

because he's an extremest from the far right and won't listen to what anyone says (most extremests won't listen to other view points)

It's always odd to me that in a religion called Christianity, extremists rarely ever focus on Jesus.

[irreverence] Probably because they think Jesus was a communist hippy[/irreverence]

[irreverence]Probably because they think Jesus was a communist hippy[/irreverence]

I think maybe I'll be a Jesus-focused extremist. I'll go and protest places with a sign that says:

Heck no, we won't go...not that we're judging you as people or what's in your heart, it's just that we have problems with the actions that you're taking, so we refuse to leave this picket line, but know that we're out here loving you.

Maybe I'll need a banner. Jesus extremism is hard. sad.gif

In response to this, apparently some of the state's Republicans felt the need to distance themselves from this guy. One of them said:

"Abraham Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation because he felt all people were created equally," Sevak said. "I support the Emancipation Proclamation."

You know, when someone in your party creates the need for you to make clear that you think slavery was a bad idea, there needs to be some serious consideration of what's happening at the fringes of your party.

Edited by skauble

I think maybe I'll be a Jesus-focused extremist. I'll go and protest places with a sign that says:

Heck no, we won't go...not that we're judging you as people or what's in your heart, it's just that we have problems with the actions that you're taking, so we refuse to leave this picket line, but know that we're out here loving you.

Maybe I'll need a banner. Jesus extremism is hard. sad.gif

In response to this, apparently some of the state's Republicans felt the need to distance themselves from this guy. One of them said:

You know, when someone in your party creates the need for you to make clear that you think slavery was a bad idea, there needs to be some serious consideration of what's happening at the fringes of your party.

Yes, when you feel the need to make it clear you do need to take a look at the fringes of your hard.

Also Skauble I'll come and help you be a Jesus extremist! Heck we can steal a brony line thats used when people say stuff that doesn't make sense.

We don't hate, but we sure do love and tolerate you. (edited because the original uses a censorkip.gif )

Okay, full disclosure up front – I'm voting for Obama in this election. I've been pretty open about that, but if you want to take this with a grain of salt, I'll certainly understand. smile.gif

Having said that, I think that Biden won last night's debate.

Although it will be a few days before we see if this moves the needle – which I honestly don't think it will – it was pretty clear that Joe was playing to his own, disheartened team, and he won that aspect big time. Democrats cheered Biden with an excitement that it seemed they'd never get back after Obama's horrible showing at his first debate with Romney.

And that's where I think that Biden carried the day. Chuck Todd summed up the situation very well, IMO:

The Twitter liberals I follow seem incredibly fired up about Biden; the Twitter conservatives I follow, seem incredibly fired up about Biden.

The question Republicans were often asking last night wasn't if Ryan won the debate, but if Biden lost it, and if you're asking that question, then the entire night was definitely about Biden. And that's no small thing, because it means that he was, in many ways, able to make Ryan a non-issue – something that was desperately needed after Romney came away the definitive focus in the last debate.

It's not that nothing of substance was said. I think that a lot of things were discussed and I certainly don't think Ryan did his party any damage.

Although I will say that the one area I think he'll most get called out on (besides the lack of tax details which is more of a spill over from the pressure on Romney), is the abortion issue. He was much clearer about the party's abortion views than I think Romney will be comfortable with, and for a guy who supports personhood, he needs to be careful. In that respect I think that Biden clearly came out ahead by saying that his personal beliefs are one thing, but he doesn't believe that he should impose that on women. And I think that is the position of a lot of moderate pro-choice voters, so I suspect that connected well.

So Ryan was by no means a failure, especially given that this was his first debate at this level, but whether you believe that Biden was incredibly passionate or ridiculously dramatic, he was kind of mesmerizing in that you couldn't help but wonder what the hell was coming next – not often the case with these types of debates.

Last night and today, most of the responses I've seen from liberals is a strong belief that Biden nailed it, a renewed belief that Obama can make up for his deficient debate performance, and an overwhelming sense of relief. Most of the responses I've seen from conservatives have to do with Biden's attitude, which they found disrespectful and condescending, and their belief that the moderator was biased. And since Biden's clear objective was to energize the base, I think he came out on top.

Next debate we'll see if Obama can do the same, or if his last performance was an accurate picture of a candidate that's run out of steam.

Just finished watching the Vice Presidential debate and honestly, Paul Ryan came off as a sociopath, to such a degree that it actually chills me.

I don't say that because of his proposed policies, I mean that psychologically. Romney and Ryan share a platform, but Romney doesn't come off as a sociopath like Ryan does. Sitting there with that unchanging expression, barely-changing tone, smarmy, cocky attitude...Ryan might charm those unfamiliar with sociopaths, but due to personal reasons I've done a ton of reading on the warning signs of sociopathy...and I'm not fooled. Sarah Palin has nothing on Paul Ryan in terms of scariness. I'm running the other way, gladly.

Shot fired at Obama campaign office in Denver

DENVER — Denver police say someone has fired a shot through the window of President Barack Obama's Denver campaign office.

Police spokeswoman Raquel Lopez says people were inside the office when the shooting happened Friday afternoon, but no one was injured. A large panel of glass was left shattered at the office on West Ninth Avenue near Acoma Street.

Lopez says investigators are looking at surveillance video but have not yet confirmed a description of a vehicle that might be linked to the shooting. Police didn't immediately release other details while detectives pursue leads.

Lopez says she isn't aware of any previous threats against the campaign office.

The Secret Service referred questions about the incident to Denver police.

An Obama campaign spokeswoman declined to comment.

Wow. I'd really hate for an individual inside to be the focus of that kind of thing. However, if this was about the election, that's really ugly in a different way.

It's sick either way.

Definitely.

Like I said, I'd hate to think that anyone is personally targeted for this kind of violence, because that's terrifying. But I also like to believe that America isn't so split down party lines that we just can't breach the chasm anymore. If this kind of intimidation is something we really can't move past, I think that it says something truly sad about where we are as a country.

Just finished watching the Vice Presidential debate and honestly, Paul Ryan came off as a sociopath, to such a degree that it actually chills me.

I don't say that because of his proposed policies, I mean that psychologically. Romney and Ryan share a platform, but Romney doesn't come off as a sociopath like Ryan does. Sitting there with that unchanging expression, barely-changing tone, smarmy, cocky attitude...Ryan might charm those unfamiliar with sociopaths, but due to personal reasons I've done a ton of reading on the warning signs of sociopathy...and I'm not fooled. Sarah Palin has nothing on Paul Ryan in terms of scariness. I'm running the other way, gladly.

Wait wait...

RYAN was the one with the cocky attitude? O.o

I hate both candidates, but Biden's arrogance, sneering, chuckling, and personal attacks were getting on my nerves.

Can we just please get rid of the main two parties? I'm tired from the superiority complex they both have. -.-

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/mike-d...-finish-in-d-c/ Gary's still going strong and is visiting with voters. Like a real public servent should.

Instead of actually participating in the perpetual Facebook political discussions, I've taken to just commenting with "You're all statists. You're on the same side, you just don't know it yet." And then I watch the sparks fly.

Is it considered trolling if I really believe what I'm saying?

Instead of actually participating in the perpetual Facebook political discussions, I've taken to just commenting with "You're all statists. You're on the same side, you just don't know it yet." And then I watch the sparks fly.

I think it still counts, yes. I think trolling is more about making comments that are intended to make sparks fly, that you know sparks will fly, and that you enjoy it.

Not that there's much wrong with it some days; I regularly troll lecturers.

I think its only trolling if you go back and don't respond to what they say critically(what I mean here is without thinking it through and giving a well reasoned arguement) however if you go back and say they are just stupid and repeat yourself 6-9+ times without adding more to the conversation then you're not trolling. However if you are saying the same things over and over and people are bringing more to the table and you ignore it/say its stupid without reasons then you're a troll.

I think it still counts, yes. I think trolling is more about making comments that are intended to make sparks fly, that you know sparks will fly, and that you enjoy it.

Not that there's much wrong with it some days; I regularly troll lecturers.

Good point. I get tired of taking myself seriously sometimes, so it's more entertaining to poke fun at my hyper conservative friends.

I think its only trolling if you go back and don't respond to what they say critically(what I mean here is without thinking it through and giving a well reasoned arguement) however if you go back and say they are just stupid and repeat yourself 6-9+ times without adding more to the conversation then you're not trolling. However if you are saying the same things over and over and people are bringing more to the table and you ignore it/say its stupid without reasons then you're a troll.

Making well-reasoned arguments gets annoying after awhile xd.png so I guess it's trolling then!

Good point. I get tired of taking myself seriously sometimes, so it's more entertaining to poke fun at my hyper conservative friends.

Making well-reasoned arguments gets annoying after awhile xd.png so I guess it's trolling then!

Well nothing is wrong with good trolling in moderation. Used it on my parents once about my pro-choice views versus their pro-life. Now my dad and I can have a civil conversation about it because he realizes I'll make him talk in circles so now he actually listens to what I have to say.

Trolling doesn't work with my mom though, sure she gets flustered but then will change the subject and bring up things that don't need to be brought up.

Perhaps we troll too much though. It seems like politics are almost taboo to speak about. Like religion etc. We haven't cultivated a society where we can freely exchange ideals, peacefully. It's a skill I didn't appreciate until after I left school, but it did make me think that being able to debate well, is something that should be taught.

As a side note about Johnson, I was very surprised in talking to a friend at work that he had no real idea who Ron Paul is. If a regularish person like him had no idea who Ron Paul or Libertarianism is, how would a third party candidate get their name out there? Seems like you'd have to have a massive ground campaign as the internets only reach so many people.

Perhaps we troll too much though. It seems like politics are almost taboo to speak about. Like religion etc. We haven't cultivated a society where we can freely exchange ideals, peacefully. It's a skill I didn't appreciate until after I left school, but it did make me think that being able to debate well, is something that should be taught.

As a side note about Johnson, I was very surprised in talking to a friend at work that he had no real idea who Ron Paul is. If a regularish person like him had no idea who Ron Paul or Libertarianism is, how would a third party candidate get their name out there? Seems like you'd have to have a massive ground campaign as the internets only reach so many people.

Oh, I don't have that problem... the taboo problem I mean. I post political statuses on facebook constantly, and I'm almost always engaged in some sort of (civil) discussion. When I venture off teh interwebz, I have fun discussing politics elsewhere too. I really don't mind having civil debates with people. I'd like to think I can argue decently well because of my years of formal debate and mock trial and such, but I genuinely enjoy it when someone can out-argue me. It gives me an excuse to get better wink.gif

Well, if you don't know who Ron Paul is by now, you must not be looking very hard while you drive xd.png

Okay, scratch that. I don't know what it's like in other places, but Ron Paul was pretty popular in TN for the primaries, as far as "unelectable" candidates go, and there were/are signs EVERYWHERE for him. Lots of Gary Johnson support out here too.

I know of the third party but the candidates for them is what I don't know. :/

Oh, I don't have that problem... the taboo problem I mean. I post political statuses on facebook constantly, and I'm almost always engaged in some sort of (civil) discussion. When I venture off teh interwebz, I have fun discussing politics elsewhere too. I really don't mind having civil debates with people. I'd like to think I can argue decently well because of my years of formal debate and mock trial and such, but I genuinely enjoy it when someone can out-argue me. It gives me an excuse to get better wink.gif

Well, if you don't know who Ron Paul is by now, you must not be looking very hard while you drive xd.png.png

Okay, scratch that. I don't know what it's like in other places, but Ron Paul was pretty popular in TN for the primaries, as far as "unelectable" candidates go, and there were/are signs EVERYWHERE for him. Lots of Gary Johnson support out here too.

This is why I like the DC thread for politics much more. People are far more civil here. I got into a argument on facebook about what someone posted and I made a remark on it and then it degraded down into her posting stuff, trying to force me to change my beliefs, saying i didn't think for myself (apparently because I shared other images she or others had posted, stupid huh?), and obviously didn't know politics.

Well excuse me if I don't believe every word you type and/or copy/paste on the net and believe it as 100% fool proof and there is no way it can be incorrect or biased. rolleyes.gif

Edited by demonicvampiregirl

I know of the third party but the candidates for them is what I don't know. :/

Libertarian - Gary Johnson/Jim Gray

Green - Jill Stein/Cheri Honkala

Justice - Rocky Anderson/Luis Rodriguez

Constitution - Virgil Goode - not sure of VP, but I don't think this party has gotten really any attention at all, really (thank goodness >.> )

Plus a bunch of smaller parties. Like, Roseanne Barr lost to Jill Stein so she is now the candidate for the Peace and Freedom Party, which I thought was interesting. x3

Libertarian - Gary Johnson/Jim Gray

Green - Jill Stein/Cheri Honkala

Justice - Rocky Anderson/Luis Rodriguez

Constitution - Virgil Goode - not sure of VP, but I don't think this party has gotten really any attention at all, really (thank goodness >.> )

Plus a bunch of smaller parties. Like, Roseanne Barr lost to Jill Stein so she is now the candidate for the Peace and Freedom Party, which I thought was interesting. x3

Holy crap I never knew there was so many. O_o