Sachi

[Yu-Gi-Oh!] Tenebrus Institute for Gifted Students

"A carefree teacher with a wonderful sense of hearing dear boy!" Jin said, smiling from behind his computer which was now booted up and at the log-in screen.

"But enough about me, I like to get to know my students!" Jin logged in and stood up. He went over and sat on his desk, kicking his feet in the air, "and since everyone else seems to be having trouble finding the room," he coughed into his sleeve, "we'll start with you Mana, so, what's your familiar? social security number? Your age? Your familiar's secret name? Your favorite Spell-Card? and how long have you been enrolled here?"

Jin paused and gave Mana what he imagined was an evil smile, "and which two of those six questions won't you answer me and why?"

"Sir I hope you don't take offense from this but that is freaky but I'll answer what I deem okay to answer." Mana said alarmed at some of the questions and the weird smile he was wearing. "My familiar is Caius The Shadow, I'm fourteen, my I don't have a favorite spell card one so far and I've only been in this school for a few minutes." Noting to himself not to say he missed the speech.

Edited by mana1997

Ray walked onto the elevator and hit the 3rd floor button. Trapsetting, this is gonna be fun.

Diabolos looked at Ray with an inquisitive look.

"Why do you always bug Lianne?"

"What, about the relaxing thing? Well it's true! I've known Lianne since she was a child, and she's been through a lot. But she seems so focused on her work, she nees to stop and relax, or she'll be a loner eventually."

"Well, you'll always be her friend, so the loner things a big stretch, and you should let her be you know?"

"I guess you are right. But still, she's always been like a big sister to me, and as a little brother, it's my job to bug her."

*DING*

"looks like my stop"

Man I feel crazy talking to myself.

Room.... 304? I think it was 304.....

Ray saw students slowly walking in the class, they all looked slightly freaked. Poor souls, oh well. Time to get to work.

Edited by Armityle

"Exactly, Spell casting is on floor two and that is where this elevator is stopping right about....now." Chansi timed when it would open almost perfectly, just a few seconds after she said now, the door opened and she walked out.

"And if I'm not mistaken, Mr. Jinjekkai is going to be teaching it. A nice man," she said as she walked toward the door to the room they needed to be in and opened it, holding it open for both Ryza and Stella.

Well, looks like he is," Chance added as she held the door and saw the professor. Noticing the writing on the chalkboard, she quickly read it and dismissed it. She wasn't a new student since this was her second year here.

"Good evening Professor Jinjekkai," she added a little more loudly, looking at him with a small smile despite the devilish look he had on his face. There wasn't an evil bone in his body, though perhaps his personality sometimes caused a little trouble, or a lot depending on the situation. She just gave a mannerly greeting since he may or may not remember her.

Edited by i_luv_animalz

"Good!" Jin exclaimed, his "evil" smile returning back to a happy carefree one as he had worn earlier.

"You're smart, I like that, smart students that is I think you'll fit in quite well!"

Jin turned to the door as it opened and saw Chansi leading in several others students that he did not yet recognize.

"Good evening Chansi!" he called back to her, "I never forget a face... well sometimes I forget a face, but not a pretty one, which is not to say that I forget about ugly people, only that I remember cute attentive students, which isn't to say I have something against inattentive students..." he paused, scratching his chin, "actually... I do, I don't like inattentive students at all."

He suddenly smiled again in a sort of embarassed fashion, and grabbed his roster again, "Sorry new people, I teach philosophy and sometimes my mind travels in octagons... you'll get used to it... where was we?!"

He spun around and faced the two newcomers that Chansi was holding the door for, "Ah that's right! New students! aaaaaaaand... welcome Ryza.... and... Stella! Please be seated, and don't worry about being a tad late, the first day... erm... night, always gets off to a slow start."

Chansi blinked, then shook her head a little, trying not to laugh. He hadn't changed a bit, still to the point of almost being a little crazy. But when he called her pretty followed by cute her cheeks turn faded red or pink as she blushed slightly. She quickly pushed it away though and waited for the two to step through the door and meet their... very cheery and carefree teacher who was also very intelligent. Perhaps because he was so intelligent was why he spoke a little confusingly. Dang, now she was the one starting to counter her own thoughts with hers, just wasn't speaking them.

A young man with light blond hair had sat pretty much by himself as the speech was being spoken. On his shoulder perched his familiar, Crystal Beast Ruby Carbuncle with fur a little darker then normal. She was actually cute and seemed a bit odd to be his familiar, but yet she was. Why was he alone and did Ruby seem to be a bit odd for him? Well, because a black band circled around his head partly under his hair and covered one of his eyes; in other words he wore an eye patch to hid the scar that stretched across his eye while the other one was fine and actually pretty, its color being a glassy teal color.

And because of his patch, most just seemed to not go near him or just plain avoid him because they found it creepy or scary one. When the speech ended he stood and walked out without much problem, very few got in his way if they saw him coming and quickly moved if they didn't. So, it wasn't very hard for him to reach the stairs and go up them since most took the elevators. He walked to the floor that his first class was on, and the Crystal Beast on his shoulder smiled lightly and tried to cheer him up because she could tell he was a little sad, not exactly liking the being avoided and people being afraid of him.

"Maybe you can make a few friends this year Domino," she suggested and purred. He smiled lightly and tickled her chin. "Perhaps, but probably not Ruby. No one really wants to have anything to do with me, not anymore..." he replied and opened the door to the third floor as he got to it and stepped out. Ruby sighed before rubbing against his head and neck like a cat. She was glad Trapsetting was next, at least it would help take his mind off it.

Domino walked toward room number 304, and once again no one got in his way even though he offered to hold the door for one of them, but they wouldn't go through. Shaking his head he went on in and sat in a seat on one of the far sides, about four rows back...alone again.

Edited by i_luv_animalz

"I hope he doesn't make us introduce ourselves." Really hoping he doesn't make him do it. Mana saw Caius travel and come in through the shadows. He raised a hand for a question. "Sir where can my familiar sit, he's quite big ?" Mana asked. He hoped that he didn't make Caius stay outside.

Jin smiled hugely, "I was wondering when you were going to introduce me to him!"

Jin glanced around the room, "hmm..." he glanced around the room, "I guess I should have asked for a larger room, let's see..."

Jin glanced around the room (this is oddly repetitive), it was odd to be placed in such a small space, especially for spell-casting class. Even if he was going to use the holo-projector, there was barely room for that... it didn't make any sense!

then he noticed it, the back wall, it was one of those flannel sheet walls that could fold back up or extend out to divide a room in half.

"ah ha!" he proclaimed, hopping off of his desk and rushing to the back of the room. He quickly unfastened the clamps on the wall and opened it like the curtains being pulled back from a window.

"that's more like it!" Jin's voice echoed in the much larger space that had been opened, behind the wall was another room, much larger than the class room, it was built like a small hokey rink, with desks around the outside in a bleacher formation and the middle comprised of a duel platform.

"Well class, since I hate using the chalk board anyways!!!! Let's all gather around the duel arena!"

Next to each desk (12 in all) was a larger block for familiars to stand or sit on beside their respective human counterparts.

Jin was instantly at the controls of the duel arena computer "I just love new technology!"

Edited by Rakashua

Stella was rendered mute by...everything, really. In fact, she wouldn't have moved if Chaos hadn't (roughly) pulled her to go sit down near the front of the class where the duel arena was, and where the teacher was energetically zooming around. Her eyes were as wide as dishes, and she was looking around at everything, since it was just so DIFFERENT to what she was used to. Chaos smacked her lightly on the back of the head.

"Quit looking like a tourist, Stella," he admonished. She gave him a sour look, but sat down at a desk, shoving a chair back and motioning for him to join her. She was feeling nervous and excited. A place to learn how to cast magic! Wow. She heard a guy nearby saying something about not wanting to introduce themselves. She herself didn't really mind either way. It might help her get back into the present, in any case.

Ryza mutely moved over to where the dual arena was, impressed with how it had been hidden, and had been a little more than surprised when the teacher had revealed it. Lomore followed right behind him, and sat down on one of the blocks, his weapon at ready, alert. Sighing, Ryza sat down and propped his crutches against the desk, wondering why Lomore bothered. He wasn't going to be challenged to duel right now, was he? If he did, his deck was in his bag, but he really hated dueling. He wondered how the monsters felt, being forced to fight for the humans. He bet not all of them were wanting to do it, but right now, he just focused on the lesson.

"Stella, Riza, Mana, Chansi..." Jinjekkai spoke from the middle of the duel field on a podium that appeared to rise out of the ground, "Let me officially welcome you to our school and more importantly my class. My name is Jinjekkai Kaname your instructor for this spell-casting course..."

For the first time since the students had seen him, and perhaps all day, Jin seemed completely serious and eloquent... well until his personality broke through at lest...

"... You may call me Kaname Sempai, or Jin-Jin!" He exclaimed, holding one hand up in the air in triumph, "actually," he paused, bringing his hand down and scratching his chin, "Jin-Jin is a name my little sister made up for me, you may not call me Jin-Jin, but Professor, Kaname, or Master are all fine."

"Now," he said before anyone could respond, "let us begin! First, who has had some experiences with spells? I know you're not all knew here and even if you are, prior experience is not unheard of or uncommon. So, we'll go around the room, what is your favorite spell that you can cast, and why?"

"Well Caius taught me how to make and control a shadow and move in them. I can also use fire magic and my favorite is either fire ball or shadow ball." Some of the students were staring at him. "And no I'm not helping anyone too." "Are you showing off? 'Cos that's one way." Caius snickered. "Oh shut your trap, or else your going back to the shadows." Mana threatened. "Oh I forgot, I can also forcefully make you go into the shadows, the shadows are just a mirror image that Caius lives in." Mana explained and threated anyone who was going to ask him for tuition. "Is that enough, Kaname Sempai or do I have to list some more?" Mana asked, he was actually having fun taunting the the higher years who learned magic.

Guess they did see me. Pouting Cathleen walked out of the gymnasium. It had been rather embarrassing when the vice principal had called her on being late in front of everyone, but at least they seemed to dismiss it pretty quickly. "Serves you right, Cathy. You shouldn't be late the first day!" "Shush, Yu-Yu. It wasn't my fault anyway. It was the doll!" The familiar by her side merely rolled her eyes before changing the topic. "Where are we going, anyway?" Smiling as if she won the argument, the blond decided to answer. "Trapsetting. 304, I think." Nodding the Quillbolt Hedgehog walked together with her thief to the classroom.

Once there, they stopped right inside the door to see if there were any familiar faces. Seeing none, Yue started to move again, but stopped when she realized Cathleen was still staring at something. Get a move on, Cathy, or the class will start. "She's so cute..." Following the blond's line of sight, she saw a Crystal Beast Ruby Carbuncle. Of course. Narrowing her eyes she looked back towards the girl, only to find that she was gone. Her eyes snapped to where she saw the monster, and she rolled her eyes again. "Hello! I'm Cathleen. Who are you? Both of you!" She was talking to a boy with an eye patch, probably the summoner. He looked quite scary, actually, but of course Cathleen wouldn't care about that as long as the familiar was cute. Sighing she went towards her, certain that she wouldn't do anything so early in the year.

~~~~~

Jogging, Meera moved towards the classroom. She knew she had Spellcasting, and she knew where the classroom was, and she'd had the teacher before... Getting there was the problem. Since it was the first day the halls were rather crowded, and more than a few new students had asked her where their classroom was. Why did they have to ask her? In her personal opinion, there were a lot of students who looked like nicer, better candidates to ask. Maybe someone who had the first period free. Shaking her head she gave a sigh of relief when she saw the door. Only a bit more, and she would be there!

Opening the door, she looked around and saw that everyone were seated around the dueling area, looking like they just started the lesson. So she probably hadn't missed a lot, then. "Sorry I'm late, Kaname. I'll try not to let it happen twice." Sighing gratefully she sat down. "There were just so many cute, new students who needed help to find their classroom." This time it was her familiar who spoke, and she grimaced. Be quiet, Lael, we're interrupting the class. "Oh, right. Sorry."

Edited by Saikachan

Stella looked around. Oh great, she was next. She thought quickly. Well, there was Lightning Vortex, from that time her aunt took her to the Frost Monarch's Palace...but no, she had used that out of necessity. Then there were the Dark and Light Imprisoning Mirrors, wait, those were traps! Ah. She liked Swords of Revealing Light.

"I have never cast a spell on this side," she said, indicating the real world, "But I have cast one once in the Spirits' World. I am partial to Swords of Revealing Light, for it has saved me more than once." It was the one she had used to trap the Mind On Air again in the Frost Monarch's Palace...but it wasn't overly destructive, yet so very effective. It was strange, most of the spells she could remember came from that particular incident.

Chaos pretended not to be paying attention, but he was steeling himself, in case Stella's memories overtook her again.

Chansi let the door close as the two entered, blinking as Jin revealed the rest of the room and knowing Marine probably needed to be here. She closed her eyes and focused, and a few moments later the Neo-Spacian Marine Dolphin started appearing beside her. At first he was transparent almost, but then he filled out and become whole and looked around the room, and he gazed at their teacher, remembering him. It was kind of hard to forget someone like him.

He smiled when he looked at Chance before they walked over to the other part of the room and she sat down in the seat on the end. He glanced at the blocks, then walked over and sat down on one. Marine continued to look around the room, listening as the girl and boy spoke before glancing over at the seats when it was Chansi's turn, and listening more intently to her.

"Well, I've used spells many times in this world and duel disk dueling here at the academy, and a few times in the spirit realm though not is much." The girl paused and thought about her spells cards. "But I would have to say one of my favorite and the one that has pulled me out of a jam more than once would be Common Soul, and Cocoon Party right behind it. They both can help me turn a battle around or backfire someone's plan."

"Hello! I'm Cathleen. Who are you? Both of you!" Domino jumped and Ruby's fur stood on end when the girl was suddenly by them and spoke. The young man was the one more surprised, was she speaking to him? Why would a cute young girl want to speak to someone with an eye patch? Pushing the questions away he turned his head and the patch became even more visible.

"...Domino, I'm Domino. And this is Ruby the Carbuncle." He felt odd talking to someone besides his familiar in so long. But his voice was much kinder than he looked, and if you could see past the eyepatch, he was actually a rather handsome young man. "But why are you speaking to me? Most don't because, well because of this," he added a few moments later and Ruby pointed to his cover bad eye with her nose.

But then she hopped of his shoulder and into his lap, her four ears open and curious while her tail was curl around her, the round ruby jewel in front of her. Her beady red eyes gazed at her and it was obvious she was interested to know exactly who she was and why she shown interest in them of all the people in the room.

Alright, lets see who's on the class list.....

Only a handful of students, but two caught my eye more so then the rest. The first was the young lady who I saw was late to the assembly. Cathleen was her name, she seemed like a good kid from her bio on the class list. The second was a young man, Domino Elipasry. Also seemed like a good kid from the bio. He has an eye patch, and wears a lot of dark clothes and spikes. Oh well, never judge a book by it's cover.

The class seems somewhat nervous, especially that Cathleen girl. Must have been from that fright during the assembly.

"Ahh, good evening class, I am vice princpal, Raymond Lau, but you WILL call me Mr. Lau. Welcome to Trapsetting 101. Now, i'm sure everyone here knows what trap cards are correct? If anyone doesn't please speak now."

(I am going to wait for Cathleen/Saikachan and Domino/Animalz to respond to this, but I will assume you both are familar with yugioh cards?)

Edited by Armityle

Ryza looked around, and, finding that it was his turn to speak, tentative said, "Well, I haven't dueled much, in both the spirit world and here, but my two most useful spells are 'Talisman of Trap Sealing' and 'Secret Village of the Spellcasters'. They prevent the enemy from using traps or spells as long as I have spellcaster monsters out on the fields. They've helped me whenever I duel." he said, looking back down as soon as he finished. Lomore put a hand on his back in support, but did nothing else.

Jin nodded to himself filing the information away in his mind as he listened to each student and analyzed their favorite spells.

He waved at Meera but didn't say anything until everyone was done speaking.

"Welcome Meera," he nodded at her before returning his attention to the rest of the class.

"Very good, we have a very diverse class this year," He nodded approvingly, "Our first lesson begins based around the spells you all mentioned, and more specifically what those spells mean to you and to your opponent. For example," Jin faced Mana first.

"Mana, you mentioned several spells that are fairly easy to cast in both dimensions, they can cause quick damage or surprise and are instant, which says a lot about your strategy in general."

He turned to Stella next, "Swords of Revealing Light is a normal spell that can be cast on an opponent disabling them for three turns, it has no offensive value on its own but rather gives the user time to plan and set up the battlefield while their opponent is crippled. Your choice suggest a defensive strategy, perhaps based on the need for time or the simple desire not to be attacked."

Next he addressed Chansi with a smile, "Ah yes, those two are both fun to pop out of your hat. Suggesting a manipulative strategy that reacts to an opponent to shift the balance subtly instead of an overly offensive approach."

Finally he turned to Ryza, "Excellent choice, I see you've already decided on a strategy for your deck over all, both of those spells are very specific, useless in the wrong deck and the first mentioned that are of that type."

Jin paused for a moment, taking his deck out of the silk pouch in his right sleeve. He placed it on the podium, which promptly sucked it up, shuffled it, and spit it back out, saving which cards he had in the deck to the holographic projector, allowing him to call them up for review at any time.

"My favorite spell card, outside of dueling, is D.D.R, un-abreviated as Different Dimension Reincarnation. I don't believe I've told any of you how I came by this rare card, and it's a long story, suffice to say," he said, activating the card, "it has something to do with my familiar..."

As he spoke a brilliant purple smoke exploded from the card. It cleared almost instantly though, and in its place stood a black and white armored Gladiator Beast Heraklinos.

Kainama glanced around the room at the students and familiars, her eyes stopped on Lomore and Ryza for a moment but not for long. "Good evening class, you may call me Hera," she spoke in a surprisingly calm and even motherly voice for such an imposing and powerful figure.

Kainama nodded once to no one in particular, "and good evening to all of you, familiars of these humans, it is always nice to see new faces, the D.D dimension is so quiet this time of year."

Jin smiled at the expressions on the students' faces (whatever they happened to be, he wasn't paying a huge amount of attention).

"right then, now class can really begin, first!" he called out, raising his right hand in the air, "I need a volunteer." he smiled.

Mana threw his hand up. "I'll be your volunteer Kaname Sempai, my deck also consists of several cards like that D.D.R." Mana said. Mana's deck might revolve around the Monarchs but his deck was special. His deck had a second attribute he always failed to mentioned when he played the game. "So sempai, what do you need a volunteer for??" Mana said, his curiousity getting the better of him. Caius himself did a facepalm.

Ryza felt warm inside as the teacher praised his favorite spell cards. His deck was basically all spellcasters, with a few exceptions of some with good effects or power. He had seen duels before where the game had been turned around with a good spell or trap card, and with those, he could be sure to win, if he could find them in his deck, that is. One he hadn't mentioned was the one negating monster's special effects, but he decided to keep that one quiet, in case he was asked to duel by one of his classmates. Feeling better, when the teacher asked for a volunteer, Ryza raised his hand cautiously, feeling nervous. The teacher wasn't going to ask him to duel, was he?

Stella politely showed awe at the Gladiator Beast. Hera was truly formidable, and Stella did not want to have what occurred to her in her first visit to the Spirits' World to happen again. She was impressed also at Jinjekkai- how much her favourite spell had said of her, and how truly he spoke. Having a deck built around Ritual monsters demanded time and patience, the former of which she sometimes could not get. He also commented on the other students' spell choices, and something about what he said of Ryza vaguely reminded her of her aunt. The teacher asked for a volunteer and Stella calmly raised her hand. She looked straight forwards and said nothing, only communicating with her expression and body language that she was willing to be a volunteer- for ANYTHING he might throw at her...well, within reason. Even if she were to be the target of a spell, it did not bother her, for she had had worse things than a spell fired at her before.

Don't get cocky now, Stella. Just because you brushed death twice down there doesn't mean you're immune to everything. Chaos mentally cautioned her.

I'm not being overconfident. I simply feel ready for whatever may be thrown at me. Too much has happened for me to be fazed with something that I am constantly surrounded by. she replied.

Jin smiled around the room at the students, so many willing volunteers. But Mana had been first and on top of that he was overly enthusiastic and had no idea what he was about to volunteer for. So he became the obvious victim... I mean choice.

"Mana," Jin pointed as he called on the boy, "come up here please with your deck and your familiar can join you, just stand across from me on the opposing podium."

Jin then turned back to the rest of the class, "for today's lesson in spell casting we're going to learn the importance of quick-play spells."

He turned to Chansi, "Chansi since you're not new this year, could you please tell us what makes a quick-play type spell different from a regular spell such as Swords of Revealing Light?"

Since practically the rest of the class had their hand up, Chance saw no reason to raise hers. And after all, she was not new like the rest either. She watched as Mana was called up, though she had a hunch he was going to be getting into more than he expected. Jin was known to do some crazy things from time to time, but he probably wouldn't ever hurt a student on purpose.

Chasi did blink once when he spoke her name and asked her to tell what a quick spell was. "Well...Quick-Play Spell Cards are a type of Spell Card that can be activated striaght from your hand during any phrase of your turn, and can also be activated during any phrase during you opponent's turn if it is set on the field though not from your hand. An example would be...Rush Recklessly," she said, pausing a few times to think about it.

Mana smirked to himself. Caius was getting nervous around Mana, last time he saw Mana smirk like that was when he almost killed someone, the bully 'asked' for some money and in return Mana beat him up and transfered schools so he didn't get kicked out. Mana pulled out his normal deck, he also had a dragon deck but he never uses it because it was only halfway done. Mana then thought of a question and raised his hand, "Kaname Sempai, during the opponents turn, are you allowed to use Mystic Space Typhoon if i is not set on the field??" Caius was getting more nervous, Mana usually never spoke a word... but when he does, it means someone was going to suffer. Caius shuddered and asked Mana, "Are you going to use that? 'Cos if you are, tell the other spirits not to interfere." Caius said. "No, they will learn." Mana was smiling a deadly smile.

Jin surveyed Mana's appearance, something about the boy raised his defenses just a little. He smiled, wiping the grimmer expression off his face, it's was probably because Mana is starting to remind me of myself he imagined.

"No," Jin answered simply, "in the usual rules of play you cannot activate a quick-play spell from your hand on your opponent's turn. Which brings up a good point." Jin added, addressing everyone, "One might think that if he has the power and control to activate a spell or trap card that he may do so whenever he wants to in order to defeat his opponent, this is considered cheating, though it is of course completely possible and if the opponent is too weak to counter or recover through cheating of their own, then you can almost always get away with it."

Jin was nodding occasionally now, thinking back to some of the days he spent in D.D he had run into some duelists there who were not above that sort of thing and he himself had been forced to do the same at one point but I was younger then and didn't understand the consequences he reminded himself.

"In other dimensions professional duels are regulated by judges that supervise a duel and observe to make sure the rules are carried out. In our dimension we use a dueling system where the computer acts as a judge. However, illegal dueling is not hard to come by in some of the other dimensions so, if you ever find yourself trapped there for any reason," Jin's face became a semi-evil smile, "don't go around showing off your skills, it's safest to pretend you don't know how to duel or how you got there in the first place."

His expression relaxed and he turned back to face Mana, "I wasn't planning on a duel today, but all this talk has peeked my interested, besides I have a deck that focuses on quick-play spell cards, it should be a good object lesson for the class. Though, for teaching purposes, both of our hands will be displayed for everyone to see, including each-other. You may think this takes the whole point out of the duel, but I'm teaching a class and you Mana are also included in that class, so!"

Jin suddenly had five cards in one hand and a coin in the other, "Would you like our familiars to participate as starting monsters on the field, and of course... heads or tails."

((Not sure if any of you are aware of the YVD program (Yu-Gi-Oh Virtual Desktop) that you can use to build a virtual deck of any card in existence and duel with others online. (Google it if interested), because we can either do duels using that system (IE: let it generate the hands we draw for us and be honest about it) or we can just choose cards for the sake of plot (which means anyone conducting duels will have to PM their opponent and decide who wins and how the battle will go before hand in order to avoid... cheating by drawing whatever you want lol )))

Edited by Rakashua