~!~

Usefulness of "Kill"

Great! If you agree with me, copy my signature! I'm not trying to promote, but if anyone wants to know why I kill dragons, it's too stop inbreds from clogging the AP, before dying in the shell or being picked up by newbies who create more eggs "spreading the virus", creating lines that do the exact same and clog up the AP even more while the aggravation continues for all DCers. (do we call each other that? I mean, kinda looks cool on the keyboard.) So yeah, copy and paste!

That's rather overly judgemental. I shall carry on regardless.And Flufflesniffle and all her sibs and the soon to be bred Nonna will breed on. And I have sent MANY from these lines to the AP - especially pillows. Some make it into the "awesome lineages found" in the AP thread.

Also there are LOADS of people who will accept ANY BSA egg - as inbreds incubate and influence just as well as blueblooded royalty.

Sure, don't do it. Sure, kill inbreds. But do NOT try and tell others how to play.

The AP is not "clogged". In the days when it blocked the cave that charge might have had SOME merit - but not any more.

Now that is taking my signature out of context.

How so ? That is exactly what it says. Fluffle's future sibs who may be pillows and end up in the AP (I NEED a balloon from her parents !) are quaking in their - er - slippers ?

Edited by fuzzbucket

That whole approach is overly judgemental. Putting some pixel sprites together (which is all that breeding is, really) has nothing to do with justice or injustice. Using the Kill action has nothing to do with justice or injustice either - it might irritate some people if their dragon lineages are affected, but in the end it's just another playstyle.

That whole approach is overly judgemental. Putting some pixel sprites together (which is all that breeding is, really) has nothing to do with justice or injustice. Using the Kill action has nothing to do with justice or injustice either - it might irritate some people if their dragon lineages are affected, but in the end it's just another playstyle.

Of course, people have different play styles. And I, personally, think it's okay. To each their own.

But this doesn't mean I have to agree with it (speaking for me only).

And I am not "overly judgemental". I'm overly committed. Even though it's about pixels and fictional

creatures. I also love my video game characters/heroes which I played since level 1. I develop

sort of a bond, and I can't understand people actually who do not. I invest time and a good portion

of passion into certain subjects and thus, they mean a lot to me.

I also like to imagine things instead of simply living in the reality and just see what there is.

I like to imagine (especially in a fantasy game), "How would it be if part of this was real?"

I like to think about things.

And if I had dragons who'd like me and trust me to treat them nicely, killing them would be the last

thing I'd do. It's like with companions. You wouldn't betray them. Or, well, at least I wouldn't.

But it's okay if people lack imagination or simply don't want to think about it.

I just don't agree / understand it smile.gif

Edited by BiaNoYami

Of course, people have different play styles. And I, personally, think it's okay. To each their own.

And I am not "overly judgemental". I'm overly committed. Even though it's about pixels and fictional

creatures. I also love my video game characters/heroes which I played since level 1. I develop

sort of a bond, and I can't understand people actually who do not. I invest time and a good portion

of passion into certain subjects and thus, they mean a lot to me.

I also like to imagine things instead of simply living in the reality and just see what there is.

I like to imagine (especially in a fantasy game), "How would it be if part of this was real?"

I like to think about things.

And if I had dragons who'd like me and trust me to treat them nicely, killing them would be the last

thing I'd do. It's like with companions. You wouldn't betray them. Or, well, at least I wouldn't.

But it's okay if people lack imagination or simply don't want to think about it.

I just don't agree / understand it smile.gif

This.

I have a very hard time coming up with the will to even do it to make a zombie.

So... naturally I have a hard time understanding the thinking of those that would kill off all a dragon's previous babies JUST for the sake of a pretty progeny page, for instance. ( I even feel bad if a vampire bite fails.... one reason I only use that sporadically) And as for inbreds... I'd probably toss them to he AP. They might still die, but I would feel like they had a chance. The poster above me brings up ANOTHER interesting point... those occassions whent he kill action is used to effect someone ELSE'S dragon's lineage. I have seen that a few times. SOMETIMES out of accident and forgetfulness... other times out of nothing but spite. NOT saying that everyone who uses Kill is a big enough jerk to do that, but the potential for abuse IS possible.

ALL that said... just because I don't generally use it doesn't mean I will tell others they shoudl not.

Edited by Silverswift

That's rather overly judgemental. I shall carry on regardless.And Flufflesniffle and all her sibs and the soon to be bred Nonna will breed on. And I have sent MANY from these lines to the AP - especially pillows. Some make it into the "awesome lineages found" in the AP thread.

Also there are LOADS of people who will accept ANY BSA egg - as inbreds incubate and influence just as well as blueblooded royalty.

Sure, don't do it. Sure, kill inbreds. But do NOT try and tell others how to play.

The AP is not "clogged". In the days when it blocked the cave that charge might have had SOME merit - but not any more.

How so ? That is exactly what it says. Fluffle's future sibs who may be pillows and end up in the AP (I NEED a balloon from her parents !) are quaking in their - er - slippers ?

That's very true. I have never harmed any of my reds, purple, magi or pinks because messy or not, their BSA is worth its weight in gold. Especially the reds which I find breeding my messy ones far easier than breeding the handful of CB's I have. I don't like to breed messy, but when you need some extra reds, that never really hurts. You just give the dragons a name tag that reads "Hello, my name is: Messy Inbred" so that you remember which is which. That's really all there is to it.

I cherish my first dragons and I believe some of them were very messy.

When it comes to 'value' on dragon cave, you can't really put a price on any one person's dragon. True, you have your prize dragon babies and your metallics which are always sought after, but to be honest, a messy moonstone is no different from a clean-lined moonstone. They both have pretty feathers. They both have a glowing orb on their tails. They're much like pet dogs. Sometimes the mutt is the better pet. smile.gif

Imo, I'd rather have a mutt than a pure bred poodle. Especially if they came from a shelter. Yes, this is just a game, but at the same time it still holds some high moral values.

Even the dragons that I pick for Zombie fodder end up not even being chosen when the time comes. Instead I go straight to the AP at the last minute, incuhatch a messy dragon and Zombie-fy that one instead, leaving the other messys on my scroll untouched.

But hey, that's just me and how I play. If someone else wants a scroll of gorgeous PB babies, then that's cool. Same with those who collect only five of each dragon. Two adults and three babies to freeze. That's whats so great about this game. Everyone can play it differently and still have fun. happy.gif

Edited by Syiren

*Snipped*

That's whats so great about this game. Everyone can play it differently and still have fun. happy.gif

THIS. This exactly. smile.gif

Some people find Kill useful. I am not sure that I do ( Scept MAYBE for zombies!). And guess what... neither way of playing technically breaks the rules!

Really the main case where I have an ISSUE with someone else using Kill is if it impacts someone else's lineages.

The other being if it was a gift and they were asked NOT to Kill and such.

Edited by Silverswift

And I am not "overly judgemental". I'm overly committed.

I was referring to Whammerist5 on the subject of kill to put an end to inbreeding. I can get people who don't want to do it (my SO shrieks tragically when I go for zombies... or when I get a failed bite !) - but not people who say

Inbreeding is an injustice, and must be stopped.

That impacts on my playstyle.

I never tried to kill my dragons, and I never will. I don't care if they are just a bunch of pixels joined together, my dragons are my children and my friends, and one does not harm family or friends.

I never kill eggs either, it only happened to me when I had unsuccessful vampire bites. I don't kill dragons (inbred or not) even to make zombies, little less for any other reason. I don't neglect them either. My way of playing is that all my dragons are healthy and happy. wub.gif

Last mother's day, I bred some of my dragons and killed their beautiful-named mothers as a tribute to those spending mother's day without their mothers. (something like this)

Also did it on Father's day so some of my dragons are orphans, some with single parents.

Basically, lineage and tribute purposes.

Edited by Pandalf

Oh man classic eugenics. "Let's kill all of the inbreds so that we can have a dragon population of perfect beautiful lineages!" I don't think I'm going to have a signature condoning the concept of eugenics, but I'm fine with killing dragons. It makes sense in many situations.

I don't kill all my inbred dragons simply because I want my scroll count to be higher. I even describe my inbreds! But I usually give them some sort of deformity. Poor things.

I don't like to use the "kill" action. I know, they are just pixels, but the sentence you see when you kill one of your dragons makes me feel terrible.

I only used it to create my zombies. I last used it at Halloween 2013 and since I already have two adults and three zombie hathclings I had no reason to use it again since then.

Now I may use it again to create a mate for a deadline dragon of mine. But the "going to be killed" dragons will be messy lineages bred by me and which will never have eggs themselves.

Edited by Iside

I don't like to use the "kill" action. I know, they are just pixels, but the sentence you see when you kill one of your dragons makes me feel terrible.

That's what I saw when I was watching my sister trying to get zombies (failures, of course), and THAT made me swear not to do that in my life. EVER.

Now that is taking my signature out of context. "...any inbred egg I can find, and freeze any inbred hatchling I can get my hands on.

Not inbreds bred for a specific lineage, (though tbh I'm not very fond of it myself) but those who I can get my hands on. Those floating around in the AP with no chance of becoming a truly valuable lineage. If value for the inbred is actually high, or somewhere close, then my sig. becomes invalid, as I won't be able to find these eggs so freely anymore.

EDIT: I'll admit, the signature is a little dramatic, mainly I'm just tired of spammed inbreds

I wasn't taking it out of context. Some people are so against inbreeding they don't want to see it in any form, planned or not, and your sig makes it sound as though that is your stance. I was asking to clarify. (and almost all my inbred lines came from the AP)

A lot of people send out ugly or inbred pinks and reds as a way to get them in the hands of people who only want them as BSAs as pretty lineages are snapped up by collectors and breeders.

A quick check on the progeny of my ugly BSA show that most of those are either not used for breeding, or being bred for more reds and pinks. Very, very few end up creating unwanted messy lineages to clog up the AP for hours at a time

Edited by Tawanda001

Yeah, you guys are right. I'm deleting my others posts and removing the sig.

Thanks!

Thanks from an deliberate inbreeder. wub.gif

I would delete my posts but it would make parts of the thread not make sense !

The kill function is not something I use often because I feel no need to but I do use on occasion. I don't kill messy eggs I generally bite them. Actually I bite anything with a lineage or CB. If CB their mainly blockers. I do have failures where the vamp kills the egg but I just shrug and try again on another egg. I limit my self to two vamp failures to ensure I don't lock my self with dead eggs whilst hunting.

I've only killed for halloween but I did rather enjoy using my brimstone for zombie fodder. Otherwise I've had no real reason to kill anything. If there was any other reason like some of the lineages that have dead mates then yeah I'd prolly do it. They're just information on a screen so I don't really care.

Last mother's day, I bred some of my dragons and killed their beautiful-named mothers as a tribute to those spending mother's day without their mothers. (something like this)

Also did it on Father's day so some of my dragons are orphans, some with single parents.

Basically, lineage and tribute purposes.

That's a very sweet idea for a lineage. I had never thought of doing anything like that.

As for the "kill" action, I pick up long/messy/inbred dragons from the AP and use them for lineages. I like increasing the aesthetic value of the offspring of those APs. I have an entire thread dedicated to this purpose (see signature).

Does everyone feel that killing is worth a more aesthetically pleasing lineage? Of course not. And they're free to do as they please, just as I and others who utilize the kill action are free to do as we please.

I do like hearing what everyone thinks, btw. Thanks to whomever bump'ed this.

I don't really kill anything. I've only used it once - and that was back when I first joined DC a couple of months ago - just to test out the action. Will do it to get Zombies though or make nice lineages.

I used it for zombies, and it's the only way I was able to get one of my most prized dragons - a 6th gen pure tinsel deadline.

I personally did not kill any of those dragons, and I only collect deadlines killed the old way where their name or lineage does not remain so I guess I don't really use kill for anything but zombies then...

Edited by lluvia

*snip*

We don't act in the other creature's best interest.

*snip*

Technically, killing inbred dragons would be acting in their best interests... if this was more like real life, anyway. Inbred animals often have life-threatening birth defects, and they have a chance of passing those down to their own offspring.

And Im not saying even that's the right thing to do IRL (Im neutral on that topic and we probably shouldnt get into that here), but you could use that as a metaphor for what happens on DC. The inbred dragons grow up and have inbred eggs of their own, many (or a good few) of which end up killed, frozen, or ignored until death on the AP due to their inbred lineages.

Im perfectly fine with how others play the game (Im not about to go and start denouncing everybody who plays differently than me, I actually love the inbred lineages that are actually thought out and planned to look nice) but I just like to debate. tongue.gif

Edited by Chuint

... or ignored until death on the AP due to their inbred lineages.

NOTHING EVER gets ignored until death on the AP (holiday walls are an exception, as then it's just impossible to get to the non-holiday eggs). How often do you see an egg with near death timer on the AP for more than a few seconds?

NOTHING EVER gets ignored until death on the AP (holiday walls are an exception, as then it's just impossible to get to the non-holiday eggs). How often do you see an egg with near death timer on the AP for more than a few seconds?

I always assumed that was because they hatched or something, but then again Im not super familiar with how the AP works. The eggs Ive bothered checking on after abandoning never have names on them, and I never did want to think everybody hides their scroll names on dragons.

Technically, killing inbred dragons would be acting in their best interests... if this was more like real life, anyway. Inbred animals often have life-threatening birth defects, and they have a chance of passing those down to their own offspring.

Well, it depends on what we mean with "inbred". In real life if mating with strict relatives can produce offsprings with birth defects (we also have examples with humans, when in the past especially royals used to marry between cousins), having a single grand grand grandparent in common unlikely will cause genetic problems.

But here on DC we consider inbred even 12th gen dragons with only 1 repeated progenitor in first gen.

Well, it depends on what we mean with "inbred". In real life if mating with strict relatives can produce offsprings with birth defects (we also have examples with humans, when in the past especially royals used to marry between cousins), having a single grand grand grandparent in common unlikely will cause genetic problems.

But here on DC we consider inbred even 12th gen dragons with only 1 repeated progenitor in first gen.

Iside makes a good point here.

There ARE differing degrees of inbreeding... at least when it comes to real-life living things.

IF I recall from my Biology classes, there are even equations and such to be used for determining the inbreeding level in an individual based on the relatedness of the ancestors.... I just mention this to make the point that that twelfth gen dragon with one repeated ancestor in the first gen would be a LOT less inbred than some dragons you see... and DC makes no distinction whatsoever. Inbred to folks on here is inbred. In order to be considered 'clean' a dragon must have absolutely NO repeated ancestors for as far back as can be traced.

ALSO, as someone pointed out, there are those that have adopted inbred dragons that don't ever breed them, so I think killing every inbred dragon is entirely necessary in order to 'prevent proliferation'. Besides, I think inbreds would STILL show up anyhow, regardless.

Edited by Silverswift

I've been trying to trim my scroll's lineages and have so far only killed my old black dragons but plan to fix my gold dragon lineages next. Sadly, my gold girl dodged the blade. Its a bit annoying to kill rarer dragons and the message is a tad upsetting but since I want pretty lineages it's worth it. *Shrug*